Captain Wesley Dunlop leaving P&O

Sailed with him as Captain of Iona for the first time last month and I thought he was fabulous and obviously had a great rapport with passengers and crew alike….. what a shame that P&O couldn’t retain him.

I wish him lots of luck.

• Like 3

We had the pleasure of having Captain Dunlop on both Iona and Aurora. On Aurora it seemed like every time we stepped out of our cabin which was near the bridge, we would bump into the cheerful talkative captain. We wish him well with his new company, certainly a loss for P&O.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Sailed with him as Captain of Iona for the first time last month and I thought he was fabulous and obviously had a great rapport with passengers and crew alike….. what a shame that P&O couldn’t retain him.

I wish him lots of luck.

Same for us thought he was really good and funny.

Wish him all the best.

• Like 1

He was the 'driver' on our Fjords cruise last June, and introduced us to the port manoeuvres: the Stavanger Shuffle and the Haugesund Hustle. He referred to his number two as, "my right-hand man, and thoroughly decent chap and all-round good egg, Deputy Captain Chris"

He did make us laugh and was a breath of fresh air compared to a couple of other dour and mute captains we've had.

I wish him all the best

• Like 8

We were lucky enough to be on his very first P&O cruise on Britannia, thought he was fantastic but wondered if his eagerness to engage was just because he was new. From recent reports, sounds like he is still as engaging today. 

A definite loss to P&O. 

Andy 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, wetterthanwater said:

Probably some light relief for the crew on Iona who won't have to hear the same jokes and announcements for the 69th Fjords cruise in a row. 😁

I doubt the crew listen to his broadcasts, and they are primarily intended for the passengers anyway, and only regular cruisers will have heard them before.

He was certainly more entertaining and noticeable than many of the other Captains we have sailed with.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, wetterthanwater said:

Probably some light relief for the crew on Iona who won't have to hear the same jokes and announcements for the 69th Fjords cruise in a row. 😁

You're probably right on that. 😏

I can honestly say that we've never been annoyed by any of the captains that we've sailed with and got to quite like listening to the announcements from the likes of Ian Waters, Hamish Read and even "Commodore speaking" Ian Gibb.

On the other hand the perpetual announcements from a certain cruise director who shall remain nameless and hopefully long forgotten really, really, really irritated.😬

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Is he the one that ends with a dad joke? 

That sounds more like Robert Camby. Although even Dads grimaced at some of his jokes 😁

Edited by Sussexboy

Sure I have met him. Not sure who they were but two things come to mind. One was when I was in one of the scenic lifts and the Captain was also in the lift. I made the unforgivable remark that it was a nice boat. To which the Captain replied "It's not a boat, it's a ship" The other story I heard was one of P&O's ships was hit by a large wave and a little old lady went up to the Captain and said"Captain, Captain, there's water running down the Atrium stairs" To which the Captain replied " Madam, I will only be concerned when there's water running up the Atrium stairs" 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, carlanthony24 said:

Last rotation due to be end of August Moley was saying.

We are sailing 24th August to 31st so I'm not sure if he's leaving next weekend. A few weeks ago people were saying hope he enjoys his last few weeks so wondered if he was leaving on the 24th . Anyone ? 

Posted (edited)

On 7/24/2024 at 10:32 AM, wetterthanwater said:

Aren't you thinking of Robert Camby aka the good looking one. 

Ref below, I wondered when exactly he was leaving as well. Fingers crossed we still get him

16 minutes ago, Jazzytelly said:

We are sailing 24th August to 31st so I'm not sure if he's leaving next weekend. A few weeks ago people were saying hope he enjoys his last few weeks so wondered if he was leaving on the 24th . Anyone ? 

Edited by amajaa
Typo