How's the buffet food?

5 minutes ago, IDL said:

Agreed, appropriate question: “is anyone sitting there?” and if the answer is no the seat is available. 

You offer great advice.  What I  typically say is  "Do you mind if we join you?"  Next time,  "Is anyone sitting there?".   

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, keesar said:

You offer great advice.  What I  typically say is  "Do you mind if we join you?"  Next time,  "Is anyone sitting there?".   

I was once in the theater and 2 seats were saved and the lady looking for seats said if they're not here by show time they're mine and she took them. 

Just got back from the Millenium.

We go to the Ocean View Cafe for breakfast and almost every day, we would stop first at the Bakery to pick up freshly baked croissants and other pastries from the oven.  The pastry tastes so much better when it is hot and crispy.  The staff also circulates around the dining area with their tray of freshly baked goods but we rather not wait.

There was one lunch advertised as "seafood extravaganza" with cold lobster, shrimp, etc... and the line was super long.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, horseymike said:

Occasionally, there is a fresh roasted turkey at the carving station.

Being its just my wife and I at home we hardly ever get that.

I love fresh roasted turkey.  We are fortunate that our daught only lives about an hour and a half away from us.  Every Thanksgiving we get a hotel room near her house and we have Thanksgiving Dinner with her, our SIL, and two of their three children (the oldest is in the Airforce and statinoned in North Dakota).  They roast a turkey and one year they also smoked a turkey as well.  

• Like 3

On 7/30/2024 at 11:43 AM, keesar said:

Surely, you cannot rate the pizza as being  even close to an 8.  I found the weakest foods as being pizza and the cake desserts.

Favorites include the ethnic foods, carving stations, and the fruit/salad bars.  

My rating was not including the pizza, or ice cream....I don't like the pizza at all...Comparing that to a real pizza is unfair..We are surrounded by great pizza here on Long Island...So the pizza rates a 2.5...And only if over indulgence of the drink package takes over...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

My rating was not including the pizza, or ice cream....I don't like the pizza at all...Comparing that to a real pizza is unfair..We are surrounded by great pizza here on Long Island...So the pizza rates a 2.5...And only if over indulgence of the drink package takes over...

Frozen pizza from my supermarket is better than what they serve on Celebrity.  The pasta should be called cream of pasta, it is beyond overcooked.  Unfortunately those are really the only options if one wants a late night bite to eat.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hawkstar33 said:

As usual, the NY pizza guy chimes in.

no where in the US can compare. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Liao said:

Frozen pizza from my supermarket is better than what they serve on Celebrity.  The pasta should be called cream of pasta, it is beyond overcooked.  Unfortunately those are really the only options if one wants a late night bite to eat.  

Some folks like undercooked pasta, I never understood that. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

On 7/29/2024 at 10:19 AM, Vagabond Knight said:

In general though, we're pretty happy with the food at the breakfast and lunch buffets and can always find plenty of good stuff..

I really enjoy eating breakfast in the buffet too.  

We may do one served breakfast and/or maybe one in the cabin via room service but I just apreciate the selection and convenience of the buffet. I don't need it to be rocket surgery. 🙂

WRT eggs, I was initially a bit disappointed that the bennies came hard poached as a default.  But once I figured out I could request a runny yolk, that was my bingo moment. (FLW until I get salmonella lol.)

• Like 1

My secret for breakfast is to get a plate of breakfast potatoes and then head to the spa cafe for some peace and quiet. They have a really nice buffet set up with bagels, yogurt, fruit, etc. and lots of coffee without a line-up of people.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2024 at 5:54 AM, keesar said:

The issue is that on sea days, the buffet was jam packed.  I found it selfish that an individual was sitting alone at a table for 6 and would not share the end of the table.  It was obvious that many of us were walking around looking for a place to sit.  I cannot figure out why someone who  apparently wants to be alone would dine in a crowded buffet, never mind at a table for 6 when there were singles available.  When we are at a table for 4, we will ask others if they would like to join us.  

Solution:  We ended up leaving and having an enjoyable lunch at Eden.

We gave up on the buffet for breakfast or lunch.  It is too busy...  Breakfast is room service or Blu with coffees at Al Bacchio.  And lunch is Sushi on 5.  

I ordered an omelet last time and it was taking too long, so I left.  After 20 minutes someone was walking around the buffet looking for me with my omelet.  I had finished breakfast by then and I was not going to yell or chase down my omelet 🤣...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Some folks like undercooked pasta, I never understood that. 

Pasta should be cooked al dente. Any longer and its overcooked.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Liao said:

We have a fairly new type of pizza in our grocery store here in Canada its frozen stone fired great crust and topping but I do add extra such as a Calabrese salami and extra cheese. Not carb friendly but one can take a nice long walk afterwards. 

44 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It is Never busy in OVC at 7 am , it nice and quiet, great time to talk with staff😁

Also get perfectly cooked “over medium” eggs 

Depends on the cruise, the one I just got off it was packed from 6:30am. Normally I go to early risers to avoid people but there was no avoiding people

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It is Never busy in OVC at 7 am , it nice and quiet, great time to talk with staff😁

Also get perfectly cooked “over medium” eggs 

Usually not up that early. Start my day with a mimosa at the Elite breakfast with a fruit plate. Sometimes go to MDR if I have an excursion and having a late lunch.  I love eggs Benny but try to limit to 2x per cruise. 

11 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

As usual, the NY pizza guy chimes in.

no where in the US can compare. 🙂

This coming from a guy from Peachtree City....All I said was we had great pizza here...I'm sure it's good in Peachtree also....

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Usually not up that early. Start my day with a mimosa at the Elite breakfast with a fruit plate. Sometimes go to MDR if I have an excursion and having a late lunch.  I love eggs Benny but try to limit to 2x per cruise. 

It is the old story , no problem falling asleep , it is staying asleep the problem

usually always up by 5:30 - 6 😁

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I ordered an omelet last time and it was taking too long, so I left.  After 20 minutes someone was walking around the buffet looking for me with my omelet

Interesting.  When I have ordered an omlette at the buffet, I stood there while they cooked it and when finished I took it with me to my table.  I've never considered wandering off and making them find me.  Did not even know that was an option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Interesting.  When I have ordered an omlette at the buffet, I stood there while they cooked it and when finished I took it with me to my table.  I've never considered wandering off and making them find me.  Did not even know that was an option. 

An omelette takes no time at all to make in fact the inside should be slightly runny. I hate anything overcooked.

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

An omelette takes no time at all to make in fact the inside should be slightly runny. I hate anything overcooked.

I am not a found of undercooked or overcooked but I like my eggs over eassy, hard whites and runny yokes, but I like my omlettes fully cooked, including the center. Don't mind the cheese being melted but I want my eggs fully cooked.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am not a found of undercooked or overcooked but I like my eggs over eassy, hard whites and runny yokes, but I like my omlettes fully cooked, including the center. Don't mind the cheese being melted but I want my eggs fully cooked.  

Protip for everyone with X omelets, if it matters to you, ask for fresh/whole eggs because otherwise, they pour the egg mixture from a carton

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Protip for everyone with X omelets, if it matters to you, ask for fresh/whole eggs because otherwise, they pour the egg mixture from a carton

I always ask for fresh eggs not a lover of too much out of a box that's why I don't like their pre made fruity drinks.  A couple years ago think it was Eclipse I asked for a pina colada but turned it down when I saw the pre mix I like the Coco Lopez coconut milk. Went and sat by pool half hour later waiter brings me a fresh one he found a can of coco Lopez. That's great service. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I didn't know you could ask for fresh eggs - that's good to know. I like getting fresh made scrambled eggs but when I saw them use the instant egg stuff I didn't return. 

• Like 2