Invite to Dinner at Captain's Table on Celebrity

I had the strangest dream last night that I was on a cruise on Beyond, so far not that strange as I have Beyond booked next summer for 7 nights.  Because we were in a Retreat (Sky) and celebrating a 30th anniversary earlier in the year and a 60th birthday on the cruise, we got an invitation in our stateroom for dinner with the captain on the birthday evening.

I know such a thing only happens in The Love Boat, but still worth dreaming.

Has anyone actually gotten to experience this and how did you score it?

• Haha 2

It has been years since I have seen a Captain's table dinner in the dining room.  Also consider that on every cruise there are loads of folks celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, etc so it might be difficult to decide who to invite.  

• Like 2

I think the Captain's Table disappeared when they went to anytime dining. I haven't seen one since maybe 2016? We have been fortunate enough to sit at that table about half a dozen times. It was never in recognition of a birthday or anniversary, we usually just spoke to someone who thought we would be delightful company (hahahahahaha). Seriously, no idea why we were invited. Once it was because we were travelling with a couple that was staying in the Penthouse Suite. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what year it was that the Captains Table ended. Instead Celebrity was doing a dine with an officer. We were invited by the Captains Club Host. We met at Cellar Masters for a group photo. I want to say 5 couples and a officer dined at Tuscan Grille. I have seen this same thing in Luminae once. I dont know if it is still going on. This was pre covid.

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling

1 hour ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Also consider that on every cruise there are loads of folks celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, etc so it might be difficult to decide who to invite.  

On a ship with 3,000 guests, on average there are 8 people per day celebrating a birthday. Along with their travel companion, they would more than fill a table every day. 

We were invited twice to the Captains Table dinner before they stopped doing them. First time we were in a Royal Suite for our 30th anniversary. We had our cousins in a Sky Suite and the invite was extended to them also. The next was 2 yrs later, we were the Penthouse guests, but we actually declined as we didn’t feel like all the formality that went along with the evening. We actually dined that night in the original Qsine which we always loved and had so much fun! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We have thoroughly enjoyed dining with the Captain and other officers on several occasions. Initially they were at the Captain’s Table in the MDR. We experienced this on the Millennium, Summit and Solstice.

After my time dining came in it swapped to being invited to Tuscan (Eclipse, Equinox).

More recently (just pre covid) we were invited, along with all RS and PH guests to a Bridge tour followed by lunch with officers last sea day in Blu. I would think this is similar to Zenith lunch? (Reflection, Equinox). On our post covid cruise no invites for obvious reasons.

Reasons for invites? We cruise RS or PH and are Elite+. On two of the cruises we received personal invites from Captains we had cruised with previously. They were very special occasions (Thank you Captains Leo and Zisis).

I think the swap to the lunch in Blu possibly came about so more suite guests got the experience to dine with officers. I haven’t cruised for nearly two years so I don’t know if this has returned or if they have reinstated individual invites back in a speciality restaurant…

The Blu lunch was nice but not as nice as meeting for champagne and then dining as a group of about 8/10. Photographs were taken and arrived in your room the next day in a folder. Happy memories of bygone days!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 6

We had been to the Captains table multiple times on a few different ships.  However since we started to sail again after covid, the function stopped.  It was really a great evening.  Now I believe some ships offer dine with an officer for a fee.  

The best dinners I had with officers has always been with the F&B director, they know all the good wine, the Captains table was nice the cpl times I did it but had more fun the 2x with the food and beverage directors.  

We dined several times with Captains and Officers Pre-Covid on Summit but nothing since. Our last Captains Table was July 2019 with Captain Ionis. We were also invited to a luncheon in Blu with Officers.  We had dined on Royal with a Staff Captain but again Pre-Covid. We always accepted the invitations.

Those days of Captain's Table invitations are gone, however, we were fortunate enough to experience it numerous times back in the day....esp. on Solstice Class ships

15 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

usually just spoke to someone who thought we would be delightful company (hahahahahaha). Seriously, no idea why we were invited. Once it was because we were tra

We were invited 3 times and were not in suites. It was because we had conversations with the Captians Club host, we always talk to the hosts,  and she must have thought they were delightful. At all three there was one single young woman. I think that might have been a request by the Captain. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bikerunner said:

The best dinners I had with officers has always been with the F&B director, they know all the good wine, the Captains table was nice the cpl times I did it but had more fun the 2x with the food and beverage directors.  

Agreed.  I have found that it was more relaxing with the "junior" officers.  The wine choices were excellent and it was a fun event.  Some special food items were presented as well.  

Never this, but last year on our cruise we celebrated our 30th anniversary on board. We were entering Blu and the Maitre D pulled us aside and told us that the Captain wanted to treat us to dinner in Tuscan that night. Not only did he treat us to dinner, but he and the Hotel Director personally delivered us a cake and we were also given a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries. So nice! Something we will always remember 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Never this, but last year on our cruise we celebrated our 30th anniversary on board. We were entering Blu and the Maitre D pulled us aside and told us that the Captain wanted to treat us to dinner in Tuscan that night. Not only did he treat us to dinner, but he and the Hotel Director personally delivered us a cake and we were also given a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries. So nice! Something we will always remember 

We have been lucky to do this three times way back when.  It was so much fun!  Food was excellent!

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

We were invited 3 times and were not in suites. It was because we had conversations with the Captians Club host, we always talk to the hosts,  and she must have thought they were delightful. At all three there was one single young woman. I think that might have been a request by the Captain. 

I suspect the CC hostess had something to do with it at least a couple of times. Never hurts to be pleasant to whoever you encounter!

• Like 1

We have dined at the captain's table a few times. It was years back when they used to have the Elite social hour in a dedicated lounge (usually the sky lounge). We always spent time talking to the Captain's Club hostess and I suppose she/he thought we'd be a nice addition to the table. We were always in a standard veranda stateroom. The captain's table evening always started with champagne and canapés in one of the lounges, after which we moved to the MDR for dinner, and had a photo taken of the table that was delivered to our stateroom. I'm glad we were able to experience it while they were still doing it. We had a wonderful time and cherish the memories. 

• Like 1

Have had zero invites of this or any similar sort since the post-COVID restart.  We've been E+ and RS each time, and I've had my November birthday aboard each westbound TA, and we've had two WB TA anniversaries (also November).  I guess we look boring compared to our younger selves! 😁

I do recall the Captain's Table pre-COVID as being a fun experience.  I asked a favorite question that always seems to produce some interesting answers ... "Assume the ship is yours to sail where you like.  Where are you going to take us, and why?" 

• Like 3

Dined at the Captain's Table in the MDR and then in specialty restaurants MANY times pre-covid as top cruiser. The Captain's Table was replaced with the Zenith lunch post Covid. Now it is watered down with the addition of all the Pinnacles onboard !!!

On 7/22/2024 at 7:22 PM, ScottC4746 said:

I had the strangest dream last night that I was on a cruise on Beyond, so far not that strange as I have Beyond booked next summer for 7 nights.  Because we were in a Retreat (Sky) and celebrating a 30th anniversary earlier in the year and a 60th birthday on the cruise, we got an invitation in our stateroom for dinner with the captain on the birthday evening.

I know such a thing only happens in The Love Boat, but still worth dreaming.

Has anyone actually gotten to experience this and how did you score it?

We were in penthouse on edge for my wife’s 60th and our 30th anniversary , no invitation but concierge and staff sang happy birthday and gave wife wine and flowers. Funny our first suite on rccl about ten years ago we were invited to captains table , but we done about ten suites since on rccl and ten on celebrity but no more captains table. Captains table was a fantastic dinner with some very nice wine.

• Like 1