Beyond -Has anyone found the ducks Im hiding?

On 7/24/2024 at 10:15 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

I guess I'm  the only one who found the irony of OP bringing a  water test kit to the ship.

Worried about their drinking water, but not in the least bit concerned about contributing to the  general ocean pollution of human junk. 

And a massive cruise ship does not contribute to the general ocean pollution?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TequilaJane said:

Cant have a plastic straw but 1000 plastic ducks are ok

They have plastic straws on the ship. The bartender said they are a compostable plastic. 

1 hour ago, miched said:

Worried about pollution from the ducks.  They run a lot of rubber duck races for fund raisers.   There are many cities in MI that have one 

I don’t think many escape as they are contained in floating booms.  

Here is one in the Chicago River.    Over 75,000 ducks. 

Here is one in Tampa

Interesting. I’ve never seen that either. This was my first trip to see Bimini - much of the coast is not cleaned up.  I saw lots of debris but by a far majority was some form of drink containers - water and soda bottles, plastic cups, beer bottles. This is what I see when camping locally although I see more food packaging too.  I try to practice leave no trace so I try to book the same sites so i don’t have to clean up as much trash from others for the season. Seems like people become more considerate after the site is cleaned once. 

3 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

Interesting. I’ve never seen that either. This was my first trip to see Bimini - much of the coast is not cleaned up.  I saw lots of debris but by a far majority was some form of drink containers - water and soda bottles, plastic cups, beer bottles. This is what I see when camping locally although I see more food packaging too.  I try to practice leave no trace so I try to book the same sites so i don’t have to clean up as much trash from others for the season. Seems like people become more considerate after the site is cleaned once. 

image.jpeg

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

Would this be considered a water fowl. 🤣

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, miched said:

Worried about pollution from the ducks.  They run a lot of rubber duck races for fund raisers.   There are many cities in MI that have one 

I don’t think many escape as they are contained in floating booms.  

Here is one in the Chicago River.    Over 75,000 ducks. 

Here is one in Tampa

This isn't directed at @miched, I'm quoting their content to expand on these duck events.  In most cases, cities don't buy 1000s of ducks from Amazon, they hire a company to run the event.  The "duck rental" company handles everything including launching, recovering, and cleaning the ducks.  Generally, if a city has a closed waterway, they have the event there, and if not the company takes great care to prevent them from "escaping".  Cruising is currently very dirty, the primary reason is they use Heavy Fuel Oil which can produce a layer of soot on E-Class SV balconies.  Passenger behavior such as not leaving food on the plate and re-using towels is a drop in the bucket.  Same with the ducks, I just say everything in moderation, reuse found ducks and maybe don't buy hundreds per sailing.  These ducks can find their way into open water and harm marine life

4 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

We got back from the Maldives about two months ago and saw a small cove and I'd guess there were 5K pieces of debris most of which were bottles.  I mentioned it to the guide who victim-shamed me (lol) and said it's the tourist's fault they need fancy bottled water and refuse to drink their perfectly clean tap water. I just explained to him, including the 2.5-hour layover, that it was a 24-hour flight, only here for a week, which means we don't want to spend any extra on the toilet if we can avoid it

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

This isn't directed at @miched, I'm quoting their content to expand on these duck events.  In most cases, cities don't buy 1000s of ducks from Amazon, they hire a company to run the event.  The "duck rental" company handles everything including launching, recovering, and cleaning the ducks.  Generally, if a city has a closed waterway, they have the event there, and if not the company takes great care to prevent them from "escaping".  Cruising is currently very dirty, the primary reason is they use Heavy Fuel Oil which can produce a layer of soot on E-Class SV balconies.  Passenger behavior such as not leaving food on the plate and re-using towels is a drop in the bucket.  Same with the ducks, I just say everything in moderation, reuse found ducks and maybe don't buy hundreds per sailing.  These ducks can find their way into open water and harm marine life

Are these free range ducks or factory farmed???

• Haha 3

Ducks have been on Celebrity for several years Saw my first one about 4 years ago, and I wasn't even looking..It was just very obvious. I;ve watched as people "hide" the ducks as well. I think its kind of fun. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Come see our ducks:

#1  The  Big Duck ...Long Island NY historic tourist  structure, east end LI.....LI was once known for duck farms and excellent LI Duckling on many menus!

#2    LI Ducks.. our local baseball team...family friendly!

#3;    "Quackerjack"   LI DUCKS team Mascot..loved by all!

images-1.jpeg

LIDucks.png

images.jpeg

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Well I did graduate from the University of Oregon.....

Then you would have to agree, If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it just may be a duck. 😁

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...