Airline travel nightmare continues

jimbo5544

37 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

It doesn't work that way.  You have issues of duty hours as well as being type qualified to fly specific aircraft.  Plus, there are significant maintenance considerations working as well.

But just keep thinking it's a simple fix.

If one thing is perfectly clear, it DEF is not a simple fix.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Again,  it's just not that simple. You glossed over the time/work schedule issue. Do you know how many staff, planes and flight there are daily? For Delta, I believe its close to 5000 flights a day!

An example of a "best case" scenario was members of my family on Friday. They flew RAP-DEN-LAX. Their RAP-DEN plane and crew arrived the night before and spent the night, so no problem staffing the plane. They left 15 minutes late, but their layover in DEN lasted about 2 hours longer than planned, waiting for crew. But, in the big picture, minor.

Yeah, 6 at my airport.  Three in and three out. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

So that is the entire Delta situation? They can't schedule only just 6 flights.....I think you might be missing a few issues. Food. Fuel. Airlines couldn't print boarding passes, check manifests, confirm their plane weights, schedule gate assignments...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

It doesn't work that way.  You have issues of duty hours as well as being type qualified to fly specific aircraft.  Plus, there are significant maintenance considerations working as well.

You're being such a pedantic stick-in-the-mud. I mean, if McDonalds can rustle up some staff to put in some extra shifts just by making a couple of phone calls, why can't a safety-critical function of an airline work that way too? And just like McDonalds, if the staff are a bit fatigued, the airline could just treat them to a free coffee.

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Certainly way more than anybody else.  On a related but semi different view, I read today Southwest was unaffected because THE OS is so outdated, meaning they have def problems with protection of customer data.

Let's hear it for being technologically behind. 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

That is an extremely small operation and in no way reflective of Delta being one of the largest airlines in the world. Delta flies roughly 550,000 people each day. It's an absolutely massive operation that can't be fixed by having each crew member call 1-800-WHERE-U-AT and self-reporting that they'll just hop on the next flight out of Billings or Asheville (or, worse, Athens or Dakar)

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

That is an extremely small operation and in no way reflective of Delta being one of the largest airlines in the world. Delta flies roughly 550,000 people each day. It's an absolutely massive operation that can't be fixed by having each crew member call 1-800-WHERE-U-AT and self-reporting that they'll just hop on the next flight out of Billings or Asheville (or, worse, Athens or Dakar)

You don't think we have a leading candidate for the next CEO of Delta? 😜

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Let's hear it for being technologically behind. 🤣🤣

Well, if true, sort of makes sense, it might be, but not being current on OS updates has a pretty large exposure as well.  Neither position is a good one.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

You're being such a pedantic stick-in-the-mud. I mean, if McDonalds can rustle up some staff to put in some extra shifts just by making a couple of phone calls, why can't a safety-critical function of an airline work that way too? And just like McDonalds, if the staff are a bit fatigued, the airline could just treat them to a free coffee.

because there are federal and union regulations on flight time.  The analogy simply does not work.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Not to mention, just which "next flight" should those displaced crew members (including pilots...) hop on? 😉 

Perhaps American or United, etc., have some unsold seats that are empty?

And where are the Delta planes!?

What a mess.

And it "could have been so much worse"... which is a bit terrifying.

("A bit terrifying" isn't quite as bad as "regular terrifying", right?)

GC

Not sure that many travel insurance policies will cover this event.  I just read the credit card travel policy that we use and it does not cover this event except for trip delay.

This problem is the fault of the airline and travel policies are not insuring airlines in most cases.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Not sure that many travel insurance policies will cover this event.  I just read the credit card travel policy that we use and it does not cover this event except for trip delay.

I HIGHLY recommend that everyone read the fine print of any credit card "travel insurance" to see just what it does and does not cover.  Many cards have cut back on the scope of coverages, especially the non-premium cards.  And even some premium cards have lowered coverage maximums.  To the point where separate insurance is often the better play

Caveat emptor.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I HIGHLY recommend that everyone read the fine print of any credit card "travel insurance" to see just what it does and does not cover.  Many cards have cut back on the scope of coverages, especially the non-premium cards.  And even some premium cards have lowered coverage maximums.  To the point where separate insurance is often the better play

Caveat emptor.

Yes, read your policy.  Is there a travel insurance policy besides CFAR that would cover this event?  I just looked at two including the popular Nationwide Essential and they do not appear to cover it in their trip cancellation.

We're due to fly to Anchorage on Delta on August 5. At this point, I don't know whether to be optimistic (as in, they'll surely have this sorted by then) or pessimistic (as in there's plenty of time for the next disaster to happen). 😂

2 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

We're due to fly to Anchorage on Delta on August 5. At this point, I don't know whether to be optimistic (as in, they'll surely have this sorted by then) or pessimistic (as in there's plenty of time for the next disaster to happen). 😂

DL systems are pretty much back on track.  I would have no more than the usual concerns flying to ANC.

• Like 1

Just now, FlyerTalker said:

DL systems are pretty much back on track.  I would have no more than the usual concerns flying to ANC.

Good to hear. Thanks. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, yes, Delta!!

I thought they were irritating over the years because they kept changing my flights to times that SUCKED. Like going to Honolulu from SFO by way of SLC.

My son and DIL got caught in this latest system meltdown with Delta. Got lucky and made it to Boston on "that" Friday from SFO. Coming home, they were stuck in Boston from Monday (original flight scheduled) to Thursday! Hotel hopping, she went to work in her company's Boston office, he telecommuted from the hotel lobby, before they got a flight back.

Thanks to Buttigieg dropping the hammer on the airlines, son and DIL got all but $100 Uber fares reimbursed, seat upgrade going home, and 25k points. (My guess is they might have been one of the worst case scenarios, and Delta was in damage control after the customer service disaster).

Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2024 at 9:55 AM, pcur said:

Ah, yes, Delta!!

I thought they were irritating over the years because they kept changing my flights to times that SUCKED. Like going to Honolulu from SFO by way of SLC.

My son and DIL got caught in this latest system meltdown with Delta. Got lucky and made it to Boston on "that" Friday from SFO. Coming home, they were stuck in Boston from Monday (original flight scheduled) to Thursday! Hotel hopping, she went to work in her company's Boston office, he telecommuted from the hotel lobby, before they got a flight back.

Thanks to Buttigieg dropping the hammer on the airlines, son and DIL got all but $100 Uber fares reimbursed, seat upgrade going home, and 25k points. (My guess is they might have been one of the worst case scenarios, and Delta was in damage control after the customer service disaster).

Are you saying that Delta provided compensation for an issue that was the airline's fault?

No insurance claim filed?

The very first post of this thread implies that this event was reason to get travel insurance.  So far do not see it covered except CFAR.

As was pointed out, read your policy on the listed items are covered.

Edited by happy cruzer

7 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Are you saying that Delta provided compensation for an issue that was the airline's fault?

No insurance claim filed?

The very first post of this thread implies that this event was reason to get travel insurance.  So far do not see it covered except CFAR.

As was pointed out, read your policy on the listed items are covered.

No insurance claim was required because, yes, Delta reimbursed him almost all his expenses for the Mon-Thurs morning delay flying home. They did not reimburse for local Uber transportation to get to hotels: they had to move twice during that time period while in Boston. 

He knew that what Delta did not pay, he could go to his credit card and file a trip delay/interruption claim. Travel insurance would have been third in line for a claim, but he normally doesn't buy insurance for what was supposed to have been a Fri-Mon trip.

• Like 1