Euros vs. USD

9 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Never had to tip in Europe, granted some of it has made it way across the pond the more expensive resturants, but at most, most resturants and stalls have tip jars most people throw their change in. No need to tip more then a Euro or two.

Seems that I live in another world... of course we tip in Continental Europe. Here in Germany 10 to 15% in a restaurant are now what is expected. In Italy read the menu carefully and also your invoice. If there´s a "coperto" added then this does include tips. Some argue that the coperto is going to the owner and that you should tip the waiters seperately. With no coperto 5 to 10% are expected as tip. And you can´t add the tip to your card. Cash only. In France you might find a tip jar where you just put in the change. A regular tip is already included in the bill. In Spain 5 to 10 % are usual in hotels for the service staff. Same for restaurants. In bars it´s more giving the change. The tip can´t be added when you pay with card. In Portugal it´s 10%.In Croatia it´s also 5 to 10 %. In Greece you give what you want or have. Can be just some changer or a bit more.

steamboats

• Like 2

21 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Do they still require pin codes to use credit cards?  I remember when we needed those in Europe. 

I don't know when that started because I've never found it true with chip cards.

22 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

I don't know when that started because I've never found it true with chip cards.

On our first trip to Europe in 2005.  Chip cards were not common in the US at that time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

On our first trip to Europe in 2005.  Chip cards were not common in the US at that time.

EMV chips were first introduced to Europe because their data communications network, think approvals, were so bad it required a back-up.  In the US online approvals were the norm.  The chip cards were very expensive.  Europe suddenly didn't like approvals with a mag stripe, that's why a PIN was required for approval.  Fortunately, it didn't last very long because US credit cards very seldom had PINs, and merchants were losing sales. Mag stripes are very easy to duplicate and the bad guys would take your mag stripe and put it on their card.

Fast-forward to five years ago. Chip cards were the norm because the price of fraud finally exceeded the cost of a chip card.

All merchants are now liable for fraud if the card is swiped, but not for chip or TAP approvals.

In addition, Visa no longer requires signatures for a transaction.  Still, many merchants, primarily restaurants, still require signatures to prove you saw the final receipt.

Heading to Amsterdam, then Norway, Iceland, Greenland.

All our excursions are paid for and I’ve read tips are not expected except in Amsterdam.  ( I may be wrong). I’m only taking 100 Euros and will wait to get them there.  We will use our card for everything except a bathroom and tips. 

I’m not planning on exchanging money for the rest of the trip.  If they don’t take a card we won’t eat, drink or spend money.  It’s too much of a hassle and as someone stated you’re left with bits to try to use up.

I have exchanged small amounts on the ship.  It’s not my first choice but in NZ it was just the easiest. If you only need 40Euros it’s not that big of a deal to get the best rate, just saying. A few dollars isn’t going to break me for the convenience.

We do use a card with no transaction fees. 

A note on pickpockets. We use pack safe or travelon bags. I have a small crossbody and he has a sling. These are small enough to be allowed into museums so we don’t have to check anything.  We are still careful, keep them in front of us, don’t take them off while eating and don’t lay our phones on the table. We aren’t paranoid but alert. 

Went to PNC and ordered Euros for our trip. Probably the last time I’ll do that. A few articles online recommended it due to no added fees. But they definitely padded the exchange rate in their favor, which is indirectly a fee. 

@ticketsunlimited

a few more non money related European quirks….

you will need to ask for the bill/check at the end of the meal. They won’t bring it until you’re ready. They certainly won’t put it on the table whilst you’re still in the middle of the meal! 

they won’t clear your table plates until every one has finished eating. 

if you leave your knife and fork apart they assume you have not finished. Put your cutlery 🍴 together when you’re finished.

you won’t get water automatically 

you will need coins 🪙 to use public bathrooms  - there may even be an old lady dispensing your allowance of toilet paper! 🧻 

in Italy only tourists order cappuccino after 11a! It is a breakfast drink. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Heading to Amsterdam, then Norway, Iceland, Greenland.

All our excursions are paid for and I’ve read tips are not expected except in Amsterdam.  ( I may be wrong). I’m only taking 100 Euros and will wait to get them there.  We will use our card for everything except a bathroom and tips. 

I’m not planning on exchanging money for the rest of the trip.  If they don’t take a card we won’t eat, drink or spend money.  It’s too much of a hassle and as someone stated you’re left with bits to try to use up.

I have exchanged small amounts on the ship.  It’s not my first choice but in NZ it was just the easiest. If you only need 40Euros it’s not that big of a deal to get the best rate, just saying. A few dollars isn’t going to break me for the convenience.

We do use a card with no transaction fees. 

A note on pickpockets. We use pack safe or travelon bags. I have a small crossbody and he has a sling. These are small enough to be allowed into museums so we don’t have to check anything.  We are still careful, keep them in front of us, don’t take them off while eating and don’t lay our phones on the table. We aren’t paranoid but alert. 

Sounds like a great plan.

We have never exchanged for more than 200 Euros, and always had some left over.  It's probably psychological, but I like to carry 100 Euros just in 'case'.  I never carry a wallet off the ship, everything goes into my front pockets.  Two credit cards, DL, and 100 Euros.  The passport stays on the ship.

Going back to at least 2010, if I needed any paper currency, never brought it with me, just went to an ATM and historically got the best exchange rate that way. And credit cards always the best option if you didn't need to pay with "cash"

On 7/23/2024 at 1:02 PM, ticketsunlimited said:

and Audio tour of Pantheon. We are staying a stones throw from the door of the Pantheon so we will wander around to all the other sites in the mean time.

Not to highjack your original question..... but booked a time slot in advance including the audio guide? We've booked similar to you already (Vatican, Colosseum, etc) but hadn't thought about this one!

3 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Not to highjack your original question..... but booked a time slot in advance including the audio guide? We've booked similar to you already (Vatican, Colosseum, etc) but hadn't thought about this one!

55 minute tour with audio.  Booked through GET YOUR GUIDE.  65.00 for both of us.  Most likely could do on our own but wouldnt mind a bit more insight.  We will probably pop in again on our own  as we can flick popcorn to the front door from where we are staying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

This ^^^
Common sense and vigilance.
Also, amazon one of these for $10

image.png.6785b2f7c7a54ee8ac9ff0bde281e4e8.png

Mine is just big enough for my passport, phone, a card or two and some cash. 
Sits up right across my chest. If you're overly worried it's slim enough to go UNDER a sweater or coat. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NateUpNorth said:

This ^^^
Common sense and vigilance.
Also, amazon one of these for $10

image.png.6785b2f7c7a54ee8ac9ff0bde281e4e8.png

Mine is just big enough for my passport, phone, a card or two and some cash. 
Sits up right across my chest. If you're overly worried it's slim enough to go UNDER a sweater or coat. 

Exactly what I have and it is ideal for when getting off the ship with just the essentials in. Well worth the purchase.

5 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

55 minute tour with audio.  Booked through GET YOUR GUIDE.  65.00 for both of us.  Most likely could do on our own but wouldnt mind a bit more insight.  We will probably pop in again on our own  as we can flick popcorn to the front door from where we are staying.

That square was really busy last summer. But did slow down and become way less congested after the Pantheon closed for the day.  Women must be covered up with no arms showing and no shorts for women to be admitted to Pantheon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, frank808 said:

Women must be covered up with no arms showing and no shorts for women to be admitted to Pantheon.

only shoulders need to be covered, not entire arms

• Thanks 2

On 7/24/2024 at 11:37 AM, mil76 said:

The issue with getting cash from your local bank before you leave or from an ATM once you get there is it will be in denominations too big for those situations where it would warrant using cash, so you will end up having to buy something to break that 20 Pound/Euro note to get your 1 Pound/Euro coins to use the pay toilet (which will probably have a card reader anyway).  Then you end up walking around with a pocket full of heavy change the rest of the day (UK change is the worst).

I don't know with whom you bank, but I always ask for and receive a mix of bill denominations when I order foreign currency, including plenty of 5 pound/Euro notes with which to pay for smaller purchases. Never had an issue.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

I don't know with whom you bank, but I always ask for and receive a mix of bill denominations when I order foreign currency, including plenty of 5 pound/Euro notes with which to pay for smaller purchases. Never had an issue.

Exactly what we did.  Went heavy on the fives.  We wont have a problem spending everything.  Believe me!!