Popularity of West Coastal Cruises

I know some cruises are much more popular than others, Alaska, Mexico, etc. Just wondering how popular are the West Coastal Cruises and are they mostly sailed on by folks living on the west coast, or from a large mixture of different folks. We are thinking about going on one, and so we are just curious. Do most folks who sail on these have a ton of days, say over 1100 or will 550 days tend to be in the top 40 most traveled. Last trip to Mexico we were not close to the top 40 with over 500 days. 

2 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

I know some cruises are much more popular than others, Alaska, Mexico, etc. Just wondering how popular are the West Coastal Cruises and are they mostly sailed on by folks living on the west coast, or from a large mixture of different folks. We are thinking about going on one, and so we are just curious. Do most folks who sail on these have a ton of days, say over 1100 or will 550 days tend to be in the top 40 most traveled. Last trip to Mexico we were not close to the top 40 with over 500 days. 

Quite often on the cruises out of LA the 3 most traveled couples are over 2000. There are some in the LA area that cruise a lot. Have seen MTL cutoff near 1000 days. This includes the Cal coastal, Mexican and even the Hawaii loop cruises. Did a  b2b2b cruise covering all 3 itineraries last year. The same top couples were on all 3.

• Like 1

Cruises out of San Pedro are heavily booked by "seasoned" travelers.  It is an easy port to get to.  Forget trying to qualify for MTP.  I can't get near the number.

I will be one less passenger in the near future since the only ships will be Royal Class ships (except for a few Grand voyages). The round trip LA/Alaska/LA for 2025 is very popular but will only do one run next summer.

• Like 1

We've done quite a few coastals out of San Francisco. The majority of passengers on those seem to be Bay Area and Northern California, with a scattering of folks from all over. No idea on most traveled on these. We're never going to make most traveled, so I just don't pay any attention to that.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mrmac said:

What’s MTG? 

Most Traveled Guests.  The top 20 + a guest are invited to a luncheon with the Senior Staff Officers hosted by the Captain.  On some shorter voyages, they do a cocktail party instead.

Edited by LACruiser88

24 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Most Traveled Guests.  The top 20 + a guest are invited to a luncheon with the Senior Staff Officers hosted by the Captain.  On some shorter voyages, they do a cocktail party instead.

On shorter cruises, I think the cutoff is 4 days or less, only the Top 10 + a guest receive a letter/voucher to dine at a Specialty venue. I have been told, the Captain decides if a cocktail party or luncheon is planned. I know a few Captains that prefer the cocktail party so they can mingle and interact with more guests.

Ranking done on a per cabin basis, for example, a couple in a cabin both have 1800 days, next highest is couple with 1770 days. First cabin is #1 and second cabin is #2(not #3 and #4). The passenger with the highest number of days per cabin is used, in cases where the number of days are not the same.

Solo’s are usually allowed to bring a guest.

If a Captain’s circle party will be held, the Top 3 are usually recognized/introduced.

• Like 1

We were invited one time for a coastal out of SF but it’s because the capacity was only 800 passengers .. yikes!  I think that was back in 2022.  
We were also invited once only because some of the top tier passengers didn’t wish to attend. 
I think the cutoff starts anywhere from 500 days to over 900 days minimum.  

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We were invited one time for a coastal out of SF but it’s because the capacity was only 800 passengers .. yikes!  I think that was back in 2022.  
We were also invited once only because some of the top tier passengers didn’t wish to attend. 
I think the cutoff starts anywhere from 500 days to over 900 days minimum.  

I sailed on Christmas 2021 I think and there were only 400 passengers and I didn't make the cut!! My friend did, thankfully...... It was a well traveled group.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Coral said:

I sailed on Christmas 2021 I think and there were only 400 passengers and I didn't make the cut!! My friend did, thankfully...... It was a well traveled group.....

It did seem like those early cruises right after the restart were all people that missed cruising so much, they’d rather have contracted COVID than live another day stuck on land.  I know I was one of them.  There didn’t seem to be a lot of new cruisers on those early cruises.  

• Like 3

We stick to West Coast as it's easier for us as seniors . Often a flight to Fort Lauderdale plus one night in a hotel costs more than the actual 7 day cruise ...not that we do 7 days anymore .

On our last B2B from San Pedro there was a man with a sweat shirt that said over 1250 nights on a Princess ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DUCHESSRN said:

We stick to West Coast as it's easier for us as seniors . Often a flight to Fort Lauderdale plus one night in a hotel costs more than the actual 7 day cruise ...not that we do 7 days anymore .

On our last B2B from San Pedro there was a man with a sweat shirt that said over 1250 nights on a Princess ship.

We have had several west coast Cruises where our 800+ Princess days are not even close to the cutoff.  Many times we decline the invite anyway, but it just goes to show the heavily traveled west coast cruises.  

8 hours ago, TRLD said:

Quite often on the cruises out of LA the 3 most traveled couples are over 2000. There are some in the LA area that cruise a lot. Have seen MTL cutoff near 1000 days. This includes the Cal coastal, Mexican and even the Hawaii loop cruises. Did a  b2b2b cruise covering all 3 itineraries last year. The same top couples were on all 3.

Are you a T.A.?

Or you know this as a frequent cruiser from the L.A. area?

You are talking about Princess?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Are you a T.A.?

Or you know this as a frequent cruiser from the L.A. area?

You are talking about Princess?

Not a TA. We sail a lot out of San Pedro. Yes talking about Princess.

Edited by TRLD

I can vouch for @TRLD.  I actually am friends with and cruised with Most Travel Passengers.  I was invited to sit with them during the Captain Circle Parties.  Unfortunately, one couple is now too old to cruise and the other is slowing down.  

What is important to mention is that these high end passengers cruise b2b2b2b and more.  

Stick around to old age and you might make it to this level.  The creme of at the top of the bottle will slowly be replace with the next group of octogenarians.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I can vouch for @TRLD.  I actually am friends with and cruised with Most Travel Passengers.  I was invited to sit with them during the Captain Circle Parties.  Unfortunately, one couple is now too old to cruise and the other is slowing down.  

What is important to mention is that these high end passengers cruise b2b2b2b and more.  

Stick around to old age and you might make it to this level.  The creme of at the top of the bottle will slowly be replace with the next group of octogenarians.

This is part of the reason we decline invites now.  Sometimes it's like being at a convalescent home.  

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

This is part of the reason we decline invites now.  Sometimes it's like being at a convalescent home.  

I was in a convalescent home when I was in rehab for bilateral knee surgery.  I know exactly how you feel.

To answer OP's question - they are not as popular as most other itineraries.  While princess has done a good job of building up the allure of the "7 day California Coastal" voyages, they only run occasionally with HAL running some similar voyages.  The other cruise lines stick to shorter voyages or only when repositioning between Alaska and Mexico.

The do sail nearly full since they are convenient for Californians and other residents of the west coast - including British Columbia.  But often times the prices are discounted and there simply aren't as many ports to visit as the Caribbean or Alaska.  Combined with the fact that during most times of the year, the weather just 10 miles off shore can be comparatively cool, foggy, damp, and at times rough, its not a "tropical destination".

That being said, I've done many of the various length repositioning cruises and had terrific weather with the wind from the aft, with sunny and 60 degree weather.  It almost feels tropical then 🙂

I would say in the voyages I've taken its anywhere from a 60-40 to 50-50 split between people who haven't been to some of the ports and use the cruise as a unique way to see them, and west coast locals who enjoy cruising but don't want to fly to the east coast.

Once you've departed port, don't expect to see much of any scenery from the ship (although its common to see pods of whales) - on a clear day you may see a silhouette of the shore or the channel islands, but that's about it.  If you do the northern routings that go to Vancouver, Seattle, Victoria, and Astoria, you'll get more scenic sailing, but risk cooler and wetter weather.

• Like 1