new VISA requirement for Europe 2025?

39 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I think you are confusing Entry/Exit System (EES) with ETIAS.

But whether ETIAS will initially be required for cruises that both start and end outside Schengen is another question.
The expectation right now is that for cruises that start/end outside Schengen, the cruise company must ensure that passengers have an ETIAS upon boarding. It is not expected that EES is necessary if it is only a short-term stop in the Schengen area.

Does the EES serve the purpose of checking how many days you spend in the EU? If so, will the cruise lines do something for both checking you in and checking you out of the EU?

27 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Does the EES serve the purpose of checking how many days you spend in the EU?

Yes, checking that Non-EU nationals do not stay in the Schengen area for more than 90 days in any 180-day period without a Visa.

My current understanding is that short stay cruise visits within Schengen doesn’t count when cruise start/end outside the Schengen area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I think you are confusing what I am responding to.

my response was related to this:

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

There has been discussion about whether you boarded a cruise ship outside of the Schengen countries but are docking in Schengen countries whether it will be YOUR responsibility or the Cruise Lines responsibilities to get the ETIAS in advance.

If ETIAS is required is is the responsibility of the individual travelers- not the cruise line.

3 minutes ago, hallasm said:

my response was related to this:

If ETIAS is required is is the responsibility of the individual travelers- not the cruise line.

If you reference my post again, you will see that you missed the line after that...

There has been discussion about whether you boarded a cruise ship outside of the Schengen countries but are docking in Schengen countries whether it will be YOUR responsibility or the Cruise Lines responsibilities to get the ETIAS in advance.

"I am a fan of the popular vote that it will be YOUR responsibility to have this in advance."

There is and has been discussion about this in other threads.  I was just merely stating that this has been brought up before and discussed.

I however am a firm believer as stated that it would be the travellers responsibility.

11 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Is there any one spot to see what documentation is needed for a US citizen with passport to visit other countries? 

I think this needs to be done on a country-by-country basis and it can change with time:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I think this needs to be done on a country-by-country basis and it can change with time:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html

Thanks.  If I use that site for Singapore, I don't find out that you need a SG Arrival Card.  When you have a trip planned that goes to several countries, that site is a bit hard to use.

I think someone once posted a link to a private company that helps get the required docs for a fee but it also had a site that let you look up if you needed any docs. 

On 8/6/2024 at 5:53 AM, edinburgher said:

And if travelling to a country which requires pre-travel authorisation, check-in staff will not let you board without it.

From my olden days of working for an intl airline, if they let you board then they're 'responsible' for you. If you're not allowed in that country then they have to bring you back to the US.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks.  If I use that site for Singapore, I don't find out that you need a SG Arrival Card.  When you have a trip planned that goes to several countries, that site is a bit hard to use.

I think someone once posted a link to a private company that helps get the required docs for a fee but it also had a site that let you look up if you needed any docs. 

Try this one... it indicates the need for a travel card to visit Singapore (documents section).

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/map

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clo said:
On 8/6/2024 at 1:53 PM, edinburgher said:

And if travelling to a country which requires pre-travel authorisation, check-in staff will not let you board without it.

From my olden days of working for an intl airline, if they let you board then they're 'responsible' for you. If you're not allowed in that country then they have to bring you back to the US.

and pay the costs, which is why I mentioned that paperwork required but not presented means no boarding, no excuses.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2024 at 4:46 PM, happy cruzer said:

There are several private companies out there and they are very good at optimizing search engines so they show up when you Google something like “do I need a visa for France.” Since these companies are in the business of helping you get visas, their information on who needs a visa can be sketchy. I suggest avoiding them. 

49 minutes ago, wcook said:

There are several private companies out there and they are very good at optimizing search engines so they show up when you Google something like “do I need a visa for France.” Since these companies are in the business of helping you get visas, their information on who needs a visa can be sketchy. I suggest avoiding them. 

Agree,  that's why I asked here for a site the one of our regulars would recommend vs. just trusting a search.

The sherpa site looks very good.  Thanks to d970!

Posted (edited)

From travel-europe.europa.eu (an official EU website):

"Do I need an ETIAS travel authorisation if I am only transiting through a European airport?

No, you do not need an ETIAS travel authorisation if you only remain in the international transit area. However, you must have a valid travel authorisation if you leave this area and enter the territory of any of the European countries requiring ETIAS."

But it looks like the later-to-be-implemented EES (entry/exit stamp) would be the more applicable permit for cruisers. However, there is NOTHING on their extensive site regarding cruise passengers, ships or ports...

Geez, no one loves us any more! In the easy-going past, a cruiser only needed a visa in Russia--and that was only if you went ashore solo or on a non-ship shorex. The cruise lines managed this aspect via the manifests (and on some lines, presenting everyone's passports) for their passengers in most ports, so it was invisible to us. Some countries--in the past few years--only required a visa if you went to your embarkation port several days early or stayed after disembarkation. Turkiye, for instance, let you stay in country without a visa on the front/back end no more than 72 hours (not in Schengen, btw). 

Our next European cruise is in a couple of months--too soon for ETIAS--so no worries yet. But next summer's will take us to Amsterdam, a city we love but which apparently no longer loves us. We're planning to overnight at a hotel next next to the port and board within 24 hrs of landing, which may scotch the ETIAS requirement. Guess we will know by next spring. Ditto--sob--Barcelona next fall...

Edited by sofietucker

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

Geez, no one loves us any more!

Exactly the feeling we as Europeans have had for the past 15 years when going to the USA. The US requires ESTA - after 15 years, Europe requires ETIAS - EES is no different from US requirements for entry and exit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Guess we will know by next spring. Ditto--sob--Barcelona next fall...

It reads as if you are complaining, but actually you are getting a bargain and should be celebrating instead.   To understand why you should be celebrating, consider the current facts.

The ETIAS for visitors to Europe will cost 7 euros pp and be valid for 3 years.

The current cost of an ESTA for visitors  to the USA is $21 pp and validity is only 2 years.

In addition, the ETIAS will be free for under 18s and over 70s,

but the US ESTA has no age exemptions and all must pay, including very young children,

so eg for a family of four  to visit the USA that is 4 X $21.  ($84)

For a family of four Americans including two young children to visit Europe , it would cost euros 14.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

It reads as if you are complaining, but actually you are getting a bargain and should be celebrating instead.   To understand why you should be celebrating, consider the current facts.

The ETIAS for visitors to Europe will cost 7 euros pp and be valid for 3 years.

The current cost of an ESTA for visitors  to the USA is $21 pp and validity is only 2 years.

In addition, the ETIAS will be free for under 18s and over 70s,

but the US ESTA has no age exemptions and all must pay, including very young children,

so eg for a family of four  to visit the USA that is 4 X $21.  ($84)

For a family of four Americans including two young children to visit Europe , it would cost euros 14.

Well, yeah.... but it's better for us North Americans to be able to enter for free.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hallasm said:

Exactly the feeling we as Europeans have had for the past 15 years when going to the USA. The US requires ESTA - after 15 years, Europe requires ETIAS - EES is no different from US requirements for entry and exit.

Point taken. And actually I have no problem with the "regular" visas--which we have acquired for both Spain and Turkiye in recent years. I don't even mind the fees so much as I mind the added paperwork headache of a visa for a cruise--or more likely, multi-port/multi-country visas. Our next cruise is 5 Italian ports, 3 Croatian, and one Montenegro. So potentially, 3 visas. Not terribly difficult but nice that Celebrity will handle that for us. But next summer in the Baltic? 9 countries, mostly for single-day visits! And it looks like it will be on us to get all the visas lined up.

And my sob for lovely Barcelona was not for the visa but because they don't want us anymore...

Edited by sofietucker

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Point taken. And actually I have no problem with the "regular" visas--which we have acquired for both Spain and Turkiye in recent years. I don't even mind the fees so much as I mind the added paperwork headache of a visa for a cruise--or more likely, multi-port/multi-country visas. Our next cruise is 5 Italian ports, 3 Croatian, and one Montenegro. So potentially, 3 visas. Not terribly difficult but nice that Celebrity will handle that for us. But next summer in the Baltic? 9 countries, mostly for single-day visits! And it looks like it will be on us to get all the visas lined up.

And my sob for lovely Barcelona was not for the visa but because they don't want us anymore...

I think you don't understand the ETIAS requirement. You don't need a separate ETIAS travel authorization for each country you're visiting. A single ETIAS authorization is valid for entry into any and all of the 30 countries requiring ETIAS. You can stay in the countries requiring ETIAS for up to 90 days in any 180 day period. The ETIAS is valid for three years or until the expiration of the associated passport, whichever comes first.

Your upcoming cruise calling at ports in Italy, Croatia and Montenegro doesn't require any visas for US citizens so Celebrity won't be handling anything for you, because there's nothing to do.

Edited by njhorseman

@sofietucker, first this not a visa, its an electronic travel authorization (ETA). There is a significant difference.

Second, Australia has required an ETA for probably 25 years. So, Europe is just catching up with the rest of the world. Indonesia also requires either an ETA, or a Visa for cruise ship visitors. Many countries do...just not the common European ones.

14 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@sofietucker, first this not a visa, its an electronic travel authorization (ETA). There is a significant difference.

Second, Australia has required an ETA for probably 25 years. So, Europe is just catching up with the rest of the world. Indonesia also requires either an ETA, or a Visa for cruise ship visitors. Many countries do...just not the common European ones.

US passport holders can still come to Canada without a visa or electronic authorization.  Bring cash and don't worry about that pesky exchange rate!

Posted (edited)

Yes! ETIAS= NOT a visa! It's a travel authorization that is good for 3 years.

EES ExitEntry Stamp= NOT a visa! For short stays, crossing and re-crossing borders. It's a stamp on your passport.

Visa=permission to stay in country, for days, hours, months or more, depending.

Sometimes you will have to get more than one of these, depending on what you are doing.. Whee. 

Some cruise ships, which USED to, for instance, arrange our visas for Russia (which we never even saw; they held our passports), may or may not handle one or more of these permissions. No one seems to be able to tell us yet. 

But in any case, none of this (except regular travel visas, already in play) will kick in until 2025. ETIAS will apply before EES. Quit conflating ETIAS with visas. 

(Howzat?)

Edited by sofietucker

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sofietucker said:

EES ExitEntry Stamp= NOT a visa! For short stays, crossing and re-crossing borders. It's a stamp on your passport.

EES is a biometric system – not a physical stamp in the passport.
It is only at the external borders of the Schengen Area – not at the borders between individual Schengen countries (29 countries).  
For one-way cruises that start outside the Schengen Area with the final destination in Schengen, there will be an EES entry registration upon arrival.

There will be an EES exit registration if the cruise starts in Schengen and ends outside of Schengen.  
For cruises that start and end outside the Schengen Area, there will be no EES registration at ports in Schengen countries.

The Entry/Exit System (EES) is an automated system designed to register non-EU citizens (both visa-exempt and visa-required) entering and leaving the Schengen Area. It will replace manual passport stamping with a biometric system that records personal details, fingerprints, and facial images at border control.

Initially planned for 2022, the EES has faced multiple delays but is now on track for its planned introduction in mid-2025.

Edited by hallasm

11 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Well, yeah.... but it's better for us North Americans to be able to enter for free.

well yeah.....but euros7 for 3 years entry to 29 or 30 countries is  a pittance really and hardly going to leave you broke is it?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Yes! ETIAS= NOT a visa! It's a travel authorization that is good for 3 years.

Visa=permission to stay in country, for days, hours, months or more, depending.

Sometimes you will have to get more than one of these, depending on what you are doing.. Whee. 

You have the first part correct. ETIAS IS NOT A VISA.

For crossing and recrossing borders its a stamp on your passport. 

WRONG.  there will be no need for passport stamps as your entries and exits to most European countries will be logged electronically, but as hallasm has already explained, not in each individual country within the zone , only once when you first enter the zone and  once again  when you exit the zone for the last time.

Visas. NOBODY has mentioned visas at all, and it appears you are still confused.  ETIAS is for those who qualify to enter visa free.  Should you not qualify for whatever reason, such as actual nationality, or having a criminal record or whatever other reason which would make you ineligible, will would need to apply for an actual visa, but for the majority of visitors an ETIAS will be easy to apply for online and is really very inexpensive.

Can only suggest that you read about the difference between an actual visa and ETIAS, including, and most importantly who is and who is not eligible for an ETIAS and will require actual visas.

and you said

It is NOT a visa.

Overtourism is causing issues for local residents in many popular cities and countries around the world and more and more protests are being held by residents to try to persuade their local aothorities to do something about it.  It already happened in Venice when most cruise ships were banned, but it is happening in many other locations including in your own country, in eg Juneau and Key West. And other cities have reduced the number of cruise calls in any one day due to overcrowding. (Dubrovnik is one of them)

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sofietucker said:

I have no problem with the "regular" visas--which we have acquired for both Spain and Turkiye in recent years.

Just noticed that you also said the above.

If you needed actual visas for both Spain and Turkey,that would indicate that you are not US citizens, or you are, but did not meet the other criteria to enter visa free and had to obtain actual visas.  It is therefore especially important that you check eligibility for ETIAS as your nationality or not meeting the other criteria  may mean you need an actual visa instead.

7 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Some cruise ships, which USED to, for instance, arrange our visas for Russia (which we never even saw; they held our passports), may or may not handle one or more of these permissions. No one seems to be able to tell us yet. 

Cruiselines would not need to apply for ETIAS for their passengers as it is something you do online, yourself, in a few minutes.

• Thanks 1