First Oceania cruise

NJ Gal

57 minutes ago, ORV said:

I have seen other couples when boarding/disembarking that will have two large cases each plus a carryon each and personal items. I can understand why they need a porter to help with their luggage. 

That may be us sometimes when we tack on a one- or two-week land trip with different clothing requirements pre or post cruise.  Also, medical requirements add a carry-on (which we normally don't use because we like to travel hands free) for a two week or longer trip.  

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

For us one of the "best" things about O is the sense of "we're all on one cruise together" when we're all in the same pool, same elevator, same restaurant, same specialty restaurant, Same fitness area, same theatre, same bar, etc. I remember smiling to myself how we were all "one" as we crammed into the elevators on Riviera in 12/2021, shortly after O restarted after COVID. No masks. They paid for and did the pre-cruise testing in the tent by Terminal J. So, we were supposed to be safe. Thankfully, it worked. We worked. All 719 of us

That was one of the things we liked when we started sailing with Celebrity. But times have changed.

2 hours ago, bradpole said:

I would agree! If international air isn't involved we tend massively overpack and have no issues stashing our things away in the R class.  Those ships might be old, and have tiny bathrooms, but they are very well designed!

Our only grip with the R class is one minor change they did after the renovation to the Interior Cabins.  The cabinet door under the tv used to swing towards the mirror, now it swings out.  We use to just leave it open and have stuff on the counter.  now we can't use the counter infant of the door if we intend to use the cabinet.  

We’ve noticed that as well. It’s not just in interior but also in the other regular cabins. The door of the corner cabinet swings in the wrong direction. Some drawers are very shallow too. Inconvenient… but really the first world problem. Otherwise, we think that the cabin's design is pretty efficient. We don’t overpack but not limit ourselves just to carryons and find the storage on the R-ships more than adequate.

10 minutes ago, ORV said:

Did that cabinet not have a door before the Next refurbishment?

It did, it just swing the other way, the hinge was on the mirror side rather than the walk by side.  You open the door and leave it open giving you access to the storage as well as still put stuff on the counter.  Now you have to keep the counter clear if you want to open it.  We tend to be a bit messy,so things quickly get stacked in front of the door, and it isn’t opened again.  🙂

truly first world problems!  

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

Did that cabinet not have a door before the Next refurbishment?

Before the refurbishment that cabinet was under the TV. Honestly, I don’t remember if it was a door at all (maybe not) but it wasn’t that inconvenient to use the countertop while reaching for that cabinet. On our last cruise on Sirena we always needed to move the tray with the water bottles when we opened the door of the corner cabinet.

It seems that the major issues on Vista have been illuminated quite well on a variety of threads, so I will know what to watch for when I cruise, especially if our suitcases do not fit under the bed etc.  I have nothing to compare with except other cruise lines, but again I do not want those to be over-emphasized.  Usually, I find new ships to be an improvement, but maybe that’s because I just like new.  I just feel very blessed to be able to cruise all over the world, at least for this point in time.🫣

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2024 at 6:35 AM, Harters said:

Yes. I sometimes wonder why I bother posting and don't just leave it to those who have experienced many cruises. 

There is a very nice feature on CruiseCritic.    It's called the Ignore List -- I use it when I see a particular rude CC member that always spew vitriol.    Just click you picture icon top right corner and you will never see their posts again.

I'm also a new and really enjoy hearing from both new cruisers as well as seasoned members.    Remember the perspective of a new cruiser can be totally different than a cheerleader.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

very nice feature on CruiseCritic.    It's called the Ignore List

Thanks for the tip. Didnt know CC had that feature. I use it, very sparingly, on another forum. Unfortunately, Tripadvisor (CC's parent)  doesnt have to on their own forums - perhaps if they did I wouldnt have felt the need to stop posting to one of them, to avoid personal abuse. No-one on CC irritates me as much as that guy so no need to use the  facility - at least not yet. 

With regards to the lift/elevator which doesn't go to deck 5 - do the stairs go down or is there no access of any kind from that position (I tend to use stairs when cruising, it helps reduce the increase to my waistline 😂😂)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

With regards to the lift/elevator which doesn't go to deck 5 - do the stairs go down or is there no access of any kind from that position (I tend to use stairs when cruising, it helps reduce the increase to my waistline 😂😂)

There are no stairs to go down,  One must go to the forward section of the ship to go down to deck 5 and then walk to the aft.  Ember and Red Ginger are in that area.  Not well planned.

Terri

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Our first "O" cruise is coming up soon.  I recently heard that our PH3 includes the services of a butler.  What services can we expect to receive from our butler? 

Please disregard this post.  @Sthrngary gave a comprehensive explanation on a different thread from May.  Thanks @Sthrngary

Edited by Daniel A

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

Our first "O" cruise is coming up soon.  I recently heard that our PH3 includes the services of a butler.  What services can we expect to receive from our butler? 

you are in for a treat!  A butler can really help in many ways. They can provide specialty restaurant meals in your cabin (with some notice), maybe (no guarantees) help you to secure additional specialty restaurant reservations. Afternoon canapés are delivered by the butler (you will fill out a form with your choices in the morning). If you order room service breakfast, it will be delivered by the butler. 

there are so many more things and there is a list somewhere on the website, as well as discussions here on cc. also, look for a butler letter provided by southerngary that he uses when he meets the butler. He uses it to introduce himself and let the butler know what he will require to make his cruise a memorable one. 

im sure many more will chime in with things I’ve missed. 

enjoy!

k🚢

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Please disregard this post.  @Sthrngary gave a comprehensive explanation on a different thread from May.  Thanks @Sthrngary

@Daniel A You are more then welcome.  Since I am not done with my coffee yet and my French Bulldog Otis Redding has not asked to go for his morning walk yet; I had some time to add to this topic. 

Our friends stated in a PH2 and I stayed in a Vista Suite.  PH3, PH2, PH1 are all the same sized suites. My upcoming cruise on the Vista in October 2025 I will be in a PH2. If I were to go back and improve on my butler usage, here is what I would do:

Complementary Laundry: I would be more strategic about knowing the last day to give the butler my laundry.  I missed that day and had to do laundry on the last day and the room was super crowded.  I knew better but was having so much fun, I forgot to make the deadline. 

Coffee:  When in the Vista Suite, the dining room is separated from the Master Bedroom by a wall/door.  So my Butler brought in Specialty Coffee from the Barista and Danish every morning.  When in a PH category, there is no wall or door.  That is a bit more intrusive but my wife and I are OK with it.  My wife stays under the covers, and I get up.  This go around, no Danish, just two Cappuccino's.  

Communication: I do a butler letter however when you have a really good butler, I reduce the details in the letter.  I also will bring index cards for changes or thoughts to make the butler activities better.  Less of this kind of soda, more of this kind.  A bowl of nuts or chips.  No afternoon snack or specific item on the list in the room.  Also, a glass of Chardonnay for my bride brought to the suite at around 09:00 PM. We ALWAY upgrade to the Unlimited Drink Package even though we know it is a waste of money really.  Just like the convenience. 

Breakfast In Suite: We will do this once.  Not my thing and I much prefer the full menu in the Main Dining Room for breakfast.  I figure, if the weather is good, a light breakfast on the deck might be fun. 

Once a butler kind of knows what you like, they take over.  I found the butlers on Oceania and Crystal Cruises were far superior to those I have had on the NCL Haven or Celebrity Retreat.  it could have been the luck of the draw or simply better trained. Hope this helps.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, GrammieK said:

A butler can really help in many ways

I'm sure that will be the case for some folk. We had a butler last year on Nautica and there was nothing that we wanted him to do, Except a couple of days, we got him to bring canapes -  but they werent very nice so we stopped ordering them. The butlers must love guests like us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harters said:

I'm sure that will be the case for some folk. We had a butler last year on Nautica and there was nothing that we wanted him to do, Except a couple of days, we got him to bring canapes -  but they werent very nice so we stopped ordering them. The butlers must love guests like us. 

Must admit we’re a bit like you never had the butler jump through hoops!

Not so much on Oceania but on Silversea and Seabourn (cabin steward) we just loved crisps(chips), nuts, olives and champagne constantly restocked! Little bit of luxury, well for us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Daniel A You are more then welcome.  Since I am not done with my coffee yet and my French Bulldog Otis Redding has not asked to go for his morning walk yet; I had some time to add to this topic. 

Our friends stated in a PH2 and I stayed in a Vista Suite.  PH3, PH2, PH1 are all the same sized suites. My upcoming cruise on the Vista in October 2025 I will be in a PH2. If I were to go back and improve on my butler usage, here is what I would do:

Complementary Laundry: I would be more strategic about knowing the last day to give the butler my laundry.  I missed that day and had to do laundry on the last day and the room was super crowded.  I knew better but was having so much fun, I forgot to make the deadline. 

Coffee:  When in the Vista Suite, the dining room is separated from the Master Bedroom by a wall/door.  So my Butler brought in Specialty Coffee from the Barista and Danish every morning.  When in a PH category, there is no wall or door.  That is a bit more intrusive but my wife and I are OK with it.  My wife stays under the covers, and I get up.  This go around, no Danish, just two Cappuccino's.  

Communication: I do a butler letter however when you have a really good butler, I reduce the details in the letter.  I also will bring index cards for changes or thoughts to make the butler activities better.  Less of this kind of soda, more of this kind.  A bowl of nuts or chips.  No afternoon snack or specific item on the list in the room.  Also, a glass of Chardonnay for my bride brought to the suite at around 09:00 PM. We ALWAY upgrade to the Unlimited Drink Package even though we know it is a waste of money really.  Just like the convenience. 

Breakfast In Suite: We will do this once.  Not my thing and I much prefer the full menu in the Main Dining Room for breakfast.  I figure, if the weather is good, a light breakfast on the deck might be fun. 

Once a butler kind of knows what you like, they take over.  I found the butlers on Oceania and Crystal Cruises were far superior to those I have had on the NCL Haven or Celebrity Retreat.  it could have been the luck of the draw or simply better trained. Hope this helps.

@Sthrngary - Thank you for your (as usual) comprehensive posts.  There is just one important matter you left out --- do they bring you almond croissants in the morning or afternoon tea?  😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

@Sthrngary - Thank you for your (as usual) comprehensive posts.  There is just one important matter you left out --- do they bring you almond croissants in the morning or afternoon tea?  😉 

@Daniel A I am upset at your question, WHY????  I am on a diet right now and the only thing that would kick me of is, ALMOND CROISSANTS!!!!!  I love Oceania but they only have Almond Croissants one or two days in a 10 day cruise.  Now the NCL Haven have them EVERY DAY.  That means I eat the EVERY DAY because I am addicted to them.  

All kidding aside, I thought the baked goods on the Oceania cruise were excellent.  Especially the bread which I love and a major reason why most of the year I go low carb.  Even the one day they served the Almond Croissant on the Riviera, it did not match the Haven one.  Good not GREAT. 

I forget sometimes all the many friends on so many boards here at CruiseCritic.com that knew my likes and dislikes.  Or in the case of Almond Croissants, obsession's.  Thank for your post, it made my morning. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your (as usual) comprehensive posts.  There is just one important matter you left out --- do they bring you almond croissants in the morning or afternoon tea?  

Ah, another almond croissant lover.  They are the best thing they make on the ship.  But I do like them better without the chocolate but I'll eat the with chocolate too.  I wish they would make them everyday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, iowananny said:

Ah, another almond croissant lover.  They are the best thing they make on the ship.  But I do like them better without the chocolate but I'll eat the with chocolate too.  I wish they would make them everyday.

If you love almond croissants, the price of a NCL Haven cruise is worth it if for nothing other than their almond croissants.  Available every day as @Sthrngary wrote.

AlmondCroissants.thumb.JPG.860f2f63fc8821cefb0ddac391c0fc19.JPG

1 hour ago, iowananny said:

If you see someone picking the chocolate pieces out of their almond croissants, it may be me!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

There are no stairs to go down,  One must go to the forward section of the ship to go down to deck 5 and then walk to the aft.  Ember and Red Ginger are in that area.  Not well planned.

Terri

Maybe the design of the Allura will be changed to make it more convenient for the passengers.  One can just hope......

31 minutes ago, NJ Gal said:

Maybe the design of the Allura will be changed to make it more convenient for the passengers.  One can just hope......

Don’t count on it.  i think it will be the same design.

• Like 1