Things that Celebrity does not tell you…

IDL

8 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Of course I do. Just posting on behalf of others in the know. You know the "two sides to every story" analogy, right? We are on opposites sides. Ain't no thing. 

Have no idea what you are referring to; if you are “in the know” and don’t see any value then don’t post.   

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

Exactly!  That's why I asked my question as a reply to "The locker room facilities in the spa are open to all passengers; not just people using the spa services."

You can use the locker room. That is not restricted.

What you cannot use is the Thermal Suite behind the card-restricted door.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Am I going to see you on a Celebrity most wanted list for sneaking into the spa?  lol

It is true that most (all?) ships allow you to use the spa locker room and use the sauna there.  Are we saying that once you are in the locker room you are behind the locked door and go wherever you choose?  I would guess that the spa staff know who they just let in even if they don't have your face on their computer.  So they might know you were just supposed to be in the locker room, not the steam room or on the heated loungers, for example.

Not on Beyond. The locker room was outside the card-restricted Thermal Suite.

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

You can use the locker room. That is not restricted.

What you cannot use is the Thermal Suite behind the card-restricted door.

Yes, except (as I wrote a few times), on the Edge it’s not possible (I also explained a reason for it).

36 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Yes, except (as I wrote a few times), on the Edge it’s not possible (I also explained a reason for it).

Not possible to use the locker room or not possible to access the restricted area of the spa, on Edge class?

21 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

So true!  How strange to have a cafe that is mostly never open. I’ve been on Edge and Ascent and have yet to manage a time to get there when it’s actually open. 

That area is also heavily used as hiding place (changing “room”) for Eden performers’ crew.  The Eden (in its whole entity) my favorite spot in the Edge.

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Not possible to use the locker room or not possible to access the restricted area of the spa, on Edge class?

Both, because the locker is located in the restricted area.  As someone wrote, you need to get an access keycard from the reception to pass it and proceed to the Galway leading to the locker rooms from which you continue to the SEA Thermal Suites.  We are always in Aqua and use it everyday (on sea days I use 2-3 times a day).

53 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Both, because the locker is located in the restricted area.  As someone wrote, you need to get an access keycard from the reception to pass it and proceed to the Galway leading to the locker rooms from which you continue to the SEA Thermal Suites.  We are always in Aqua and use it everyday (on sea days I use 2-3 times a day).

You are in correct as the locker rooms on the full Celebrity fleet is available to all passengers; from a Beyond passenger:

While there aren't locker rooms associated with the Fitness Center the Spa locker rooms are located within the Spa on Deck 14. From the Fitness Center go down the circular staircase then proceed down the hallway on your left and then turn right and you'll see the locker rooms on the left. The locker rooms are available for all passengers to use, regardless whether or not you have a spa treatment, Aquaclass, or Spa pass. Within the locker rooms are individual lockers with self setting locks, three individual showers, toilet, and a small vanity area with two sinks. There are no free saunas within the locker rooms;those are all in the thermal suite area which is extra charge and accessed through a door in the locker room with a key card. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

when to be back on board from an excursion.

Not unique to Celebrity... but in Ketchikan where the boat is literally right at the city, I cut it pretty close to "back on board time" - the crew at the dock joked and said "hey you are right on time!" but one of the security guys acted a little grumpy and said "we were waiting on you" 

It's pretty much the only time I would have cut it that close, since usually there are extra hoops to jump through to physically get to the side of the ship, but it seemed odd they were grumpy when I was back on board before the "be on board time"

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

You are wrong.

Second afternoon of our 18 March 2023 Apex cruise I walked in to the spa entrance where the desk is in the waiting area and as I was walking down the hallway to the men’s shower/change room  and just before entering I heard a female voice, “sir, where are you going”? I replied to take a shower.” I entered the change room. She opened the door behind me (crossed the line there) and said, “you need to leave”. I got undressed and took my shower. That same evening when we returned to our stateroom for the night there was a mid-cruise comment card. So I filled it out describing my rude spa employee encounter. I turned the comment card in at GS after breakfast the next morning. Within 30 minutes of returning to our room the phone rang. It was GS and asked if I’d be willing to speak with the Spa Manager. I said yes and GS connected me to the Spa Manager. The Spa Manager wanted more details of my experience if any and a description of the employee. I gave her both requests. She then assured me the change rooms are for all Apex guests to use and not just spa guests.  

I use the change/shower room twice a day (7:30 AM and 3:30 PM) and I was the only one in there at those times. She also told me she would brief her staff accordingly. She also offered me free spa time but I declined. Not a spa person. Then we got off the ship for the day. When we returned to our room there was a message on our phone from the HD following up and he echoed what the spa manager told me and to call him if need to. I didn’t as the issue was resolved politely and quickly. We also had a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a note signed by the HD and spa manger in our stateroom.

I plan on using the spa shower/change room on our September Edge cruise. The spa contractor and their employees don’t maintain the shower/change rooms. All cleaning, restocking of towels, lotion, shower caps, soap, shampoo, conditioner and even putting robes in each locker is done by a Celebrity employee. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/11/2024 at 7:36 PM, 39august said:

Sam, yes plus the porthole balcony cabins. But the balcony on those is VERY small, only room to sit sideways, not facing the ocean. 

Broken record.  You CAN sit facing forward in the deck chairs on a porthole veranda. .We spent three weeks in porthole verandas on Apex in 2023.  Wish people would quit posting this wrong info on porthole verandas.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Isn't that what was said?

Read above "VERY small, only able to sit sideways, not able to face ocean".  Sitting forward IS facing the ocean IMHO and DH and I had no problem facing forward facing the ocean.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, st5310 said:

Great thread and I love the answers.  Just came off our first-time Eclipse experience and we were impressed with every aspect of this smaller, older ship.  My only complaint is about the lazy passengers who find it inconvenient to use soap and water in the bathrooms.  Sanitizers do not get it all, including Norovirus I'm told.  I chafe every time I see someone exit the stall, run three fingers under water for two seconds and think they've washed their hands.  Celebrity (along with most ships) makes it easy to wash properly and I absolutely LOVED the individual hand towels provided in every public bathroom.  There was even a remote door opener inside and outside--good for handicapped folks, but also great for not having to touch the door handles.  I think paying attention to these details can keep people healthy... nothing worse than having a cruise interrupted by sickness.  Many of us have been there and it ain't pleasant.

From what I have seen,  quite a few do not wash their hands at all.  Two seconds is better than some...

On 8/11/2024 at 12:22 PM, NMTraveller said:

Sorry.  I hit the wrong website.  Apparently, I went to CruiseCheerleaders.com.

I think it's in the name "critic", where everyone is 😛

On 8/11/2024 at 4:59 PM, doghog said:

Also Celebrity has pillow chocolates every evening. 

you had me at chocolate ... disappointed that some other lines have dropped that.

On 8/11/2024 at 5:33 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

They are more or less standard on elevators in the US (one ding up, two dings down). The dings are to let visually impaired people know what direction the elevator is headed. BaseIIIIIIIId on your screen name (“britain”), maybe elevators in the UK don’t operate this way?

correct.  Lived in Europe for years and my flat's elevator only dinged once.

15 hours ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Unfortunately people would rather complain than say anything nice!

see above 🙂

11 hours ago, DennysDad said:

I can't stand it. When did hand washing and basic hygiene become such a burden? I would say 1 out of 5 walk out of public restrooms without washing their hands. It's just disgusting. 

agreed 1000%.   but I would say it's 2 out of 5 walk out and another 1 of 5 doesn't use soap.   It's rather unseemly 😛

PS.  I looked at this thread as I've been trying to find a celebrity cruise to take through the Panama Canal and thought it might be informative.  In some ways yes.   Sadly, the itineraries for cruises I can do don't look the best (full transit, old locks).   I'm very much leaning towards HAL for this cruise as they have interesting/new ports for me.   Not that azamara doesn't, but it's also a far bit more.   I may have to wait until I can find the time to take a Galapagos cruise to sail Celebrity 😞 

Edited by 90scruzer

17 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Of course Royal Caribbean came up with a way to charge you so you don't have to carry your bag around. They offer the Key for a price. One of the benefits is you can drop off your carry on and someone will bring it to your room.

Indeed...Royal has found many ways to nickel and dime us over the last few years.  🤑

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

And it makes the suitcase smell really nice as well. 

Yes, it does!  😄 

I take one big bar for the shower, and a smaller "foo-foo...nice citrus smelly one" for the sink.  😉 

16 hours ago, doghog said:

You'll be surprised how well it works, how much the staff has completed and how nice it is to ditch the carry on(s). You can also stash stuff in the safe if you want. We wish RC and Princess would follow Celebritys lead. 

Thanks Dave!  Really looking forward to our first X experience!  I hope they continue to bring the ships into our home port of PC...though it is just 2 hours to drive to Tampa also.  🙂 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kabmab said:

Read above "VERY small, only able to sit sideways, not able to face ocean".  Sitting forward IS facing the ocean IMHO and DH and I had no problem facing forward facing the ocean.

OK.  I interpreted sitting sideways as sitting facing the bow (forward with respect to the ship) rather than sitting facing outwards (either port or starboard).  Since I've only had IVs on E Class, I do not have firsthand knowledge and will take your word on this.

Edited by d9704011

43 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

OK.  I interpreted sitting sideways as sitting facing the bow (forward with respect to the ship) rather than sitting facing outwards (either port or starboard).  Since I've only had IVs on E Class, I do not have firsthand knowledge and will take your word on this.

Sitting sideways is facing the bow, which would have a person facing a veranda wall.  Facing forward is facing port or starboard, facing and viewing the water.  My gripe is people keep posting that they cannot sit facing the water off port or starboard which isn't true.  Also post that DPVs (deluxe porthole veranda) are dark which they aren't.  And these are people who haven't necessarily stayed in a DPV.  Cabin attendants place the deck chairs in a sideways position, so if you are just viewing rather than staying in, may lead you to believe that the chairs on the veranda only fit sideways.  If someone doesn't like, fine, but don't post what you don't know.  We love E class and have stayed in SV, DPV, IV and like them all.  April in IV, soon in SV.

Edited by kabmab

1 hour ago, kabmab said:

Sitting sideways is facing the bow, which would have a person facing a veranda wall.  Facing forward is facing port or starboard, facing and viewing the water. 

OK.

51 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

IMG_1841.jpeg

Certainly not always but I like much better than the former process of not being able to drop off your bags and the also enjoy not going through the long muster drill.