If you are a solo traveler, Celebrity still doesn't want you.

Sandy1975

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TRLD said:

But you pay the deposit anyway. Put it another way

Solo with 100% supplement with x deposit.

(X + (fare - X))  + fare as 100% supplement + taxes and fees = 2 x fare + taxes and fees.

vs booking 2

2 ( X + (Fare -X)) + 2 (taxes + fees) - refunded taxes + fees from no show = 2 x fare + taxes and fees.

No difference in end amount paid as long as cruise line refunds the taxes and fees for the no show.

The only difference is if you book, have a non refundable deposit, then cancel. At that point you would lose both deposits. but if you make final payment you do not lose the deposit because the deposit paid becomes part of the total fare paid.

Argh, I can't believe I missed this! You are right because I Don't care about the deposit since the cruise is happening anyway! I wasn't thinking this way! 

Edited by Sandy1975

Regarding the couple that got upgraded to Aqua leaving the single cruiser traveling with them in the SV even though you are upgraded to Blu you can still eat in the Main Dining room.  We’ve done that as we are not fond of the menu in Blu or the closeness of the tables. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, mauimary said:

Regarding the couple that got upgraded to Aqua leaving the single cruiser traveling with them in the SV even though you are upgraded to Blu you can still eat in the Main Dining room.  We’ve done that as we are not fond of the menu in Blu or the closeness of the tables. 

We knew that (I'm the single); but since my friend enjoys good food (and I'm happy with steak or a piece of chicken), I would not ask her to give up the "nicer" dining room...one that she has wanted to try!  I'm actually a huge fan of OVC!

Edited by lola2013
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Some of the GR agents are just blunt. I sometimes feel it depends on their culture. They don't even realize they are being rude or come across that way until its pointed out. 

Hello,

I think there is a slight contradiction in your post. On the one hand you said "it depends on their culture" but on the other hand you said "they are being rude" - I do not think anyone's culture is 'to be rude'. I used to spend half my life (until I gave up) defending MSC against claims of 'rudeness'. What neither Italian or Spanish culture or language do is pepper their speech with lots of "please" or "thank you" as we (more) north western countries do - a nod of the head or 'vale' is as much as you are going to get.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I think there is a slight contradiction in your post. On the one hand you said "it depends on their culture" but on the other hand you said "they are being rude" - I do not think anyone's culture is 'to be rude'. I used to spend half my life (until I gave up) defending MSC against claims of 'rudeness'. What neither Italian or Spanish culture or language do is pepper their speech with lots of "please" or "thank you" as we (more) north western countries do - a nod of the head or 'vale' is as much as you are going to get.

Regards,

Cublet

I should have rephrased as "come across as being rude". There is no contradiction in my post. 

On 8/14/2024 at 5:43 PM, mauimary said:

I feel the same way about Blu.

Mostly ended up ordering off the MDR menu.

I emailed the Executive Office about the random restrictions on what cabins solos can book as well as why when they made the price correction from cruises where solos were charged MORE than double all were not automatically corrected (there were reports on here of their cruises being corrected without calling or having their TAs call, but there are others of us who are still showing the higher amount). I'll report back IF I hear anything.

• Thanks 2

These threads are SO silly. Just book the cabin for two people and the “second person” no shows and you get the taxes refunded. Just put your mom, dad, sister, brother, cousin…. The cruise lines have no way to know or penalize you because there is no way to prove that person was never going to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

These threads are SO silly. Just book the cabin for two people and the “second person” no shows and you get the taxes refunded. Just put your mom, dad, sister, brother, cousin…. The cruise lines have no way to know or penalize you because there is no way to prove that person was never going to go. 

Exactly.  I cruise solo and have never been questioned or denied any cabin/suite I book.

1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

If one does this, at what point does one let the cruise line know, so as to get the taxes and fees refunded? Call a day or two before the cruise? When checking in? 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, limoncello07 said:

If one does this, at what point does one let the cruise line know, so as to get the taxes and fees refunded? Call a day or two before the cruise? When checking in? 

I don't have firsthand experience with this yet ( I have a cruise booked next year for myself and the second person "TBD" who will be no-showing ) but my understanding is that X will refund the port fees and taxes post-cruise after the second occupant no shows.  I don't know what would happen if you call to inform them a couple weeks pre-cruise that the second passenger won't be able to make it because of "reasons."  Some people on here argued that X will re-price the cabin to the current single occupancy rate but I seriously doubt that would happen. 

Edited by dreamer321
fixed typo
  • Like 1

I told them at check-in and it was refunded in about three days, I think.  It was while I was aboard.  It was legitimate = roommate couldn't make it, but they'd have no way of knowing one way or the other.

• Like 3

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here yet is the price for all-inclusive for solo cruisers. I’m getting ready to book my first cruise which will be a solo cruise and I really really really want to book Celebrity cause everything looks amazing but their AI price has me thinking twice.  

Example: May 30, 2025 Celebrity Summit Alaska cruise which I just priced a few mins ago. Prices in Canadian CAD and I chose same room for comparison purposes. 

booking as 1 guest: prime inside stateroom #7063. Total cost $614 CAD cruise only; $2114 All-inclusive + $514 port fees + taxes

booking as 2 guests: prime inside stateroom #7063. Total cost $621 cruise only; $2114 All-inclusive + $1028 port fees and taxes ($514pp)

Cabin I’m 100% okay with paying same price as it would be for 2 people as the space would be occupied regardless of how many people are in the room, but I don’t agree that I should pay the same price for all-inclusive as if a solo cruiser is going to consume as much as two people. Yes I’m aware I don’t have to buy the AI package but I don’t want to sit there with a note in my phone trying to keep track of my spending, cough drinking cough, or having to rely on my sense of self-control to not overspend if I’m having a good night lol!! Maybe i’ll want a latte or something, I just really don’t want to have to be all miserly on my first cruise. 

Other cruise lines charge solos around the same as they would per person not added together lol. It’s still an amazing price but it really doesn’t sit well with me. 

i have cruised with Celebrity 10+ times and always solo. depending on availability and price i have done both solo cabins and standard ones - in most cases its roughly twice the price with the exception of taxes .. this is what i expect .. i don't like it but i realize its the way the industry works 
when i book into the hotel before / after my cruise i am also paying twice the price for my room 

This is not just something that Celebrity does .. its what the whole industry does ... 
the only people that are surprised are people that do not do solo travel as a norm ... us single people are used to it ... but it does not stop us travelling 

3 hours ago, Faels said:

Yes I’m aware I don’t have to buy the AI package but I don’t want to sit there with a note in my phone trying to keep track of my spending, cough drinking cough, or having to rely on my sense of self-control to not overspend if I’m having a good night lol!!

Buy cruise only and then drink package after - that way if it goes on sale you can reprice it.

I never buy AI I buy the package after - same with wifi

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Buy cruise only and then drink package after - that way if it goes on sale you can reprice it.

I never buy AI I buy the package after - same with wifi

I have 3 cruises booked. All solo first on a verandah on Eclipse second a TA on Ascent in a deluxe inside followed by a Mediterranean on Ascent in a sunset verandah. ALL were priced at less than double occupancy the SV was fairly pricey but its a huge cabin and verandah mid ship on deck 9 on the wake.  Can't even do a cost comparison as they've gone up considerably. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Faels said:

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here yet is the price for all-inclusive for solo cruisers. I’m getting ready to book my first cruise which will be a solo cruise and I really really really want to book Celebrity cause everything looks amazing but their AI price has me thinking twice.  

Example: May 30, 2025 Celebrity Summit Alaska cruise which I just priced a few mins ago. Prices in Canadian CAD and I chose same room for comparison purposes. 

booking as 1 guest: prime inside stateroom #7063. Total cost $614 CAD cruise only; $2114 All-inclusive + $514 port fees + taxes

booking as 2 guests: prime inside stateroom #7063. Total cost $621 cruise only; $2114 All-inclusive + $1028 port fees and taxes ($514pp)

Cabin I’m 100% okay with paying same price as it would be for 2 people as the space would be occupied regardless of how many people are in the room, but I don’t agree that I should pay the same price for all-inclusive as if a solo cruiser is going to consume as much as two people. Yes I’m aware I don’t have to buy the AI package but I don’t want to sit there with a note in my phone trying to keep track of my spending, cough drinking cough, or having to rely on my sense of self-control to not overspend if I’m having a good night lol!! Maybe i’ll want a latte or something, I just really don’t want to have to be all miserly on my first cruise. 

Other cruise lines charge solos around the same as they would per person not added together lol. It’s still an amazing price but it really doesn’t sit well with me. 

Oh I mentioned the AI thing in my email - I said I sucked it up when I was on the Summit because I wanted Aqua Class and that was before you had the option for Cruise Only in Aqua but that it was not fair that that was not adjusted for a solo in the cabin so I paid for 2 internet and 2 beverage packages (and double gratuities, but I didn't mind that as the service was excellent). I opted to NOT do AI on the Beyond and just bought separately when they were on sale.

11 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Because the bottom line is we shouldn't have to play silly games.

• Like 5

Well technically you can book for 2 and then cancel out the 2nd passenger a couple of days before you leave.  Therefore you get the port taxes and fees back on the 2nd person and are still paying the same as you would with a single supplement.  This is a work around if those categories are not coming up available for the single cruiser.  

8 minutes ago, tribbs1 said:

Well technically you can book for 2 and then cancel out the 2nd passenger a couple of days before you leave.  Therefore you get the port taxes and fees back on the 2nd person and are still paying the same as you would with a single supplement.  This is a work around if those categories are not coming up available for the single cruiser.  

But then you have to enter passport info and check in for your cruise. I personally wouldn't do it.

10 hours ago, Faels said:

Go with the cruise only fare then purchase a drink package for one and premium WiFi for just one device.  I just did exactly this and it was a substantial savings.

8 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

But then you have to enter passport info and check in for your cruise. I personally wouldn't do it.

And some (like myself) don't even have access to a second person's passport even if they wanted to do it.

• Like 1

Got a call back.

Pretty much what I expected - "Revenue has made the decision to restrict cabins to double occupancy or higher in all but the solo cabins or Retreat during the summer as it's our highest revenue time". She at least seemed to listen and said that she would pass along my feedback. I did express that this decision has caused me to take my vacation dollars elsewhere for next summer and could well result in my permanently taking my vacation dollars elsewhere. Of course "We certainly don't want that to happen, but I do understand why you might feel forced to make that decision."

So, yeah. They may be putting solo cabins on the E-Class, but they definitely don't want us cruising because we don't generate enough revenue for them. That message came through loud and clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Got a call back.

Pretty much what I expected - "Revenue has made the decision to restrict cabins to double occupancy or higher in all but the solo cabins or Retreat during the summer as it's our highest revenue time". She at least seemed to listen and said that she would pass along my feedback. I did express that this decision has caused me to take my vacation dollars elsewhere for next summer and could well result in my permanently taking my vacation dollars elsewhere. Of course "We certainly don't want that to happen, but I do understand why you might feel forced to make that decision."

So, yeah. They may be putting solo cabins on the E-Class, but they definitely don't want us cruising because we don't generate enough revenue for them. That message came through loud and clear.

So may be cheaper to renew my husband's passport for a 'second guest'

I kid we shouldn't have to do that. So basically they are doing what MSC does. How many other lines are going to start restricting what you can book.

• Like 1