Norwegian Cruise Line Cancellation Options

I have a NCL cruise booked starting Sept 24, 2024.  A little over 30 days away.  I injured my hip and now need hip replacement surgery.  From calling in to customer service for some help, or ideas, Ive learned there are no rebooking options this late.  I can go, deal with the pain with meds, or lose all my money.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks so much.

• Like 1

I am so sorry for you! I suppose you don't have any travel insurance that can cover this.  I am absolutely NOT being judgemental about that! But with this being a medical issue, maybe you DO have coverage that you're not aware of through credit card or something like that.

If it was me, if at all possible I would try to go and make the best of it. Cruise ship staff is so caring and helpful. But if you don't think you'll be able to enjoy the cruise, maybe better to take the loss. But do make sure you don't have some insurance after all!

• Like 7

If you don't have insurance and you do decide to go, call 1-866-584-9756. The NCL Access Desk. Get a case number.

You can ask for wheelchair assistance and other needs. I don't know if you'll need a Scootaround or a walker, but the Access Desk will be able to advise you. 

I'm not sure of your itinerary and whether any excursions you were taking have a lot of walking.

I'm so sorry you got injured so close to the sailing. I hope it will work out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Walton said:

I have a NCL cruise booked starting Sept 24, 2024.  A little over 30 days away.  I injured my hip and now need hip replacement surgery.  From calling in to customer service for some help, or ideas, Ive learned there are no rebooking options this late.  I can go, deal with the pain with meds, or lose all my money.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks so much.

I would discuss  this with your doctor and surgeon.  Get their recommendation.  May not be a big deal or it might be.

• Like 4

That is the traveler's nightmare. I'm sorry for your situation. I think it's probably too late to get travel insurance. So, I would say ask your doctor for the best pain meds you can get and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts and suggestions. I’ve been in contact with the credit card company, the airlines, and NCL, in addition to others. . In speaking with my surgeon, he thinks the long flights will be the most difficult part and, while he will provide sleeping aids and pain meds, feels I could be in bad shape stepping off the plane. I think I’m going to see if I can get anything at all refunded while we’re still outside 30 days. Thanks again. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jim Walton said:

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts and suggestions. I’ve been in contact with the credit card company, the airlines, and NCL, in addition to others. . In speaking with my surgeon, he thinks the long flights will be the most difficult part and, while he will provide sleeping aids and pain meds, feels I could be in bad shape stepping off the plane. I think I’m going to see if I can get anything at all refunded while we’re still outside 30 days. Thanks again. 

You ought to be able to get certain taxes and port fees and prepaid gratuities refunded. I also believe you can make changes to your Free at Sea selections up until 24 hours before departure. Good luck to you.

• Like 1

Be aware that not all health insurance companies pay claims out of the country. If your condition were to worsen check to see what your existing insurance would cover. One of the  most expensive items would be disembarking in a foreign port and  being flown home by air ambulance. You really don't want that.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jim Walton said:

Thanks so much.

Did you not buy trip insurance through a third party? If you did then look to them for coverage that’s what it’s for. If you didn’t you know for next time.

If you don’t have insurance then  you have to decide if it is worth going or not. We went when my wife was awaiting knee replacement surgery. She was limited somewhat did OK. 

‘What does your doctor say. Is going likely to make things worse? If not can you get around OK, either with or without a walker or cane? There are lots of places just to chill on the ship and still have a good time. Tough decision but overall you have to make the call based on advice from your MD.

if you go be sure and contact the Access desk for assistance with wheelchairs, scooters and other accommodations. 

Others have made such eloquent responses, mine pales in comparison but you do have options. 

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

That is the traveler's nightmare. I'm sorry for your situation. I think it's probably too late to get travel insurance. So, I would say ask your doctor for the best pain meds you can get and enjoy your cruise.

You can’t get insurance to cover something that has already happened. I do agree as I said in an earlier consult with your physician. 

3 hours ago, Jim Walton said:

Thanks so much.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Sorry to hear about your hip. 

What you have to lose is your base cruise fare. Taxes, port fees and all add-ons (Free at Sea, excursions etc) will be refunded. 

Check with the credit card company you paid with to see if they include any travel insurance. 

NCL won’t do anything for you. They hear hundreds and hundreds of “sad stories” every week and can’t afford to refund every sad story they hear. That’s just business. They offered you a fairly cheap travel insurance at booking which you turned down. Now you are on your own. 

• Like 2

Hi Jim,

Check with your doctor.  He would be the one to give you the best advice.

Do you have to fly, or is the port near you?  As others have suggested, call the special needs department for anything that you might require.  Meals can be delivered to you by room service.

Good luck.

Since you mentioned that your doctor believes that the worst of it would be the long flight, is it possible for you to divide one flight into two legs with an overnight rest in between?  Or drive one of the legs with a stop to rest?  If you are still in the US after the first flight you would have your regular health insurance still in effect at that point and be able to tell if you should continue. 

• Like 1

Can you either upgrade your flight to first class to give yourself more room, or to an aisle seat on the corresponding side. That way you can move and stretch your leg and or get up and walk the aisle for a second. The later option is what I do myself. My left hip muscles are all messed up and knot up if I sit for too long. 

Hope all turns out well. Get better soon!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OyWthThPdlsAlrdy said:

Can you either upgrade your flight to first class to give yourself more room, or to an aisle seat on the corresponding side. That way you can move and stretch your leg and or get up and walk the aisle for a second. The later option is what I do myself. My left hip muscles are all messed up and knot up if I sit for too long. 

Hope all turns out well. Get better soon!

Yes, an aisle seat on the afflicted side would be best.  Many people don't seem to know that the aisle armrest can be lifted to give you more room too.  There is a little button under the arm rest as it gets close to the back of the seat.  You can push the button and lift the armrest.  Just don't do it during take off and landing as it is not allowed then.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jim Walton said:

Thanks so much.

Are you going to have surgery in the next 30 days? If not and you can't get a refund personally I would fit thru the pain. I had my right hip replaced in 2016. When the decision was made it was three months out, then it was delayed another two months. I got around pretty good still for those 5 months. Look into PT prior to any surgery

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

Since you do not have trip insurance and although you don't say specifically where you are going, but based on the long flights, obviously somewhere pretty foreign, you may want to cancel.  Medical care abroad may not be covered by your health insurance, and in many countries does not come close to the quality at home.  If you did have an issue, your health insurance would not cover medically evacuating you, and that cost would be exponential.  Hopefully your credit card provided trip cancellation insurance.  Unfortunately when people consider whether to buy trip insurance, they decide not to based on the cost of the trip.  They don't realise the big reason to get the insurance is in case of medical issues during the trip.

33 minutes ago, gizfish said:

Unfortunately when people consider whether to buy trip insurance, they decide not to based on the cost of the trip.  They don't realise the big reason to get the insurance is in case of medical issues during the trip.

This is so true.  I think those of us who can buy cruises/vacations can afford the loss of what a trip cost. That is (or should be) in the realm of discretionary spending.  The potential for financial disaster is in uninsured medical costs.  Insurance is for catastrophic loss, not the little stuff.

Posted (edited)

Is there someone you know that can go on the trip in your place?  I have no idea if allowed or not, but I remember years ago there was a certain amount of time where you could change a traveler...Just an idea to throw out there.  Best of luck on your hip replacement.

coka

Edited by coka

Thank you, thank you, all who have responded. I truly appreciate your thoughts, words, ideas, and even a little finger wagging for not buying the insurance, which was well intentioned and good for me to hear. Thank you!

I struck out upgrading flights and learned it’s better to book them directly with the airlines. NCL wouldn’t allow upgrades this late, even though there are seats available. My only option was to throw the booked seats away and pay for new ones directly with the airlines. $8600 each seat. No thanks. 

NCL did offer to treat me as handicapped and do what they could to make it work, which was thoughtful. But in the end it’s about pain management more than money. And multiple flights of 8 or more hours will really stir up the inflammation. 

In the end, we’ve decided to cancel.  We should get 35 to 40% of our money back as long as it’s outside 30 days, which is better than nothing. It’s still a lot of money to throw away. 

I think we’ve learned not to book in advance going forward. We will wait, see how our health is, watch the weather, political environment, etc. and see what deals are available inside 30 days, once dummies like me have forfeited their money and the cruise lines are offering deals. 

At least that’s what we’re thinking now. 

Thanks again, signing out on this topic, travel safely everyone,

Jim

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jim Walton said:

Thank you, thank you, all who have responded. I truly appreciate your thoughts, words, ideas, and even a little finger wagging for not buying the insurance, which was well intentioned and good for me to hear. Thank you!

I struck out upgrading flights and learned it’s better to book them directly with the airlines. NCL wouldn’t allow upgrades this late, even though there are seats available. My only option was to throw the booked seats away and pay for new ones directly with the airlines. $8600 each seat. No thanks. 

NCL did offer to treat me as handicapped and do what they could to make it work, which was thoughtful. But in the end it’s about pain management more than money. And multiple flights of 8 or more hours will really stir up the inflammation. 

In the end, we’ve decided to cancel.  We should get 35 to 40% of our money back as long as it’s outside 30 days, which is better than nothing. It’s still a lot of money to throw away. 

I think we’ve learned not to book in advance going forward. We will wait, see how our health is, watch the weather, political environment, etc. and see what deals are available inside 30 days, once dummies like me have forfeited their money and the cruise lines are offering deals. 

Jim

Keep in mind booking late can mean lack of cabin selection, higher prices, costlier flights. In spite of living 20 minutes from two cruise ports we prefer to book years out, we can rebook for lower fares anytime before final payment, and after we just get insurance (since our health insurance doesn’t cover us out of the US, and since we always get evacuation coverage, we always get travel insurance).

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jim Walton said:

Jim

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to good health. 

Edited by zqvol

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jim Walton said:

First of all...your situation sucks. Been there, done that. Hoping for the best for you. We've since learned cruise insurance is your friend.

As for waiting until after 30 days, you would still need to make the full payment. You could still have an injury/accident/illness that would require you to cancel. Insurance would still be a wise investment, even at that late date.

I see no benefit to waiting until the last minute to book, especially since you will most likely have to settle for a less desirable cabin...or a guarantee cabin...which is most likely not a good one.

Edited by schmoopie17