If....then.... alcohol question

IF I could bring a full bottle of wine on board in Athens, that I bought in Athens (which I did),

THEN why was a much smaller bottle of ouzo that I bought in Santorini, held in Santorini for delivery at the end of the cruise? (which it was)

1 minute ago, deltahog said:

IF I could bring a full bottle of wine on board in Athens, that I bought in Athens (which I did),

THEN why was a much smaller bottle of ouzo that I bought in Santorini, held in Santorini for delivery at the end of the cruise? (which it was)

Because you can only bring 1 bottle of wine per adult. No alcohol. Ouzo is alcohol not wine. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, deltahog said:

The allowance to bring stuff on board only applies to the embarkation port.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The policy is one bottle of wine per adult can be brough on board at original embarkation port only (to be used during the cruise for personal consumption).  Any other alcohol (including additional bottles of wine) brought on then or at any other port are held until the final night of the cruise and then returned to the passenger.

Here is a link to the RCI policy regarding this:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, deltahog said:

Just curious.  Was the wine a Greek wine?  If so what type grape?  If it was Greek was it worth drinking?  Inquiring minds want to know.  

29 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The policy is one bottle of wine per adult can be brough on board at original embarkation port only (to be used during the cruise for personal consumption).  Any other alcohol (including additional bottles of wine) brought on then or at any other port are held until the final night of the cruise and then returned to the passenger.

Here is a link to the RCI policy regarding this:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

That’s how it’s supposed to be. Sometimes, they miss the bottle or telling the person who is supposed to take it. These are people, too. 

14 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

That’s how it’s supposed to be. Sometimes, they miss the bottle or telling the person who is supposed to take it. These are people, too. 

That's all I was doing - saying how it's supposed to be by their policy.  Anyone's results may vary.

3 hours ago, deltahog said:

You got lucky.

They followed the rules this time.

Just now, cruiseguy1016 said:

You got lucky.

They followed the rules this time.

Also, (1) was in checked luggage and I believe is allowed under the "one bottle of wine" rule.

(2) was in my hand upon returning from a port.

23 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

Just curious.  Was the wine a Greek wine?  If so what type grape?  If it was Greek was it worth drinking?  Inquiring minds want to know.  

It is indeed a Greek wine from Lafazanis winery. Perhaps the varietal is on the bottle, but it's all in Greek, so it's Greek to me.

It's a basic 10 euro red table wine. Adequate but nothing to get excited about.

3 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Also, (1) was in checked luggage and I believe is allowed under the "one bottle of wine" rule.

Sounds like normal policy. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Just to clarify, was Athens the original embarkation port?  If so, then this is exactly as the policy reads: (1) one bottle per person at original embarkation allowed, (2) anything brought on at a subsequent port of call is held.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, deltahog said:

It is indeed a Greek wine from Lafazanis winery. Perhaps the varietal is on the bottle, but it's all in Greek, so it's Greek to me.

It's a basic 10 euro red table wine. Adequate but nothing to get excited about.

Not to hijack your thread.  But as bad is it in the Lou to get Spanish wines (forget the whites) we will do a little scouting to find Greek wines.  Never had Greek wines and now its high on our list.

Just now, fenton04 said:

Not to hijack your thread.  But as bad is it in the Lou to get Spanish wines (forget the whites) we will do a little scouting to find Greek wines.  Never had Greek wines and now its high on our list.

Well, I bought it in Athens, so doubt it is available in St. Louis.

• Like 1

Just now, time4u2go said:

Last time I checked, wine contains alcohol also.

Generally, alcoholic beverages are divided into three main categories. Maybe it's a US thing but:

1) Wine

2) Beer

3) Alcohol a/k/a liquor a/k/a hard liquor a/k/a spirits

Then you've got things like sake (brewed rice wine) that kind of belie the clean distinctions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Wine is not alcohol?

wine contains alcohol, but is not itself "an alcohol", that is to say a beverage obtained by an entirely human, physical process without any transformation, generally by distilling a fermented sweet juice. Once wine become Port it is alcohol and not permitted to bring onboard. That being said I always bring a bottle of Port and have never had it taken away.

Also, sometimes in Europe the security checks are in the terminal and not the ship. Port employees don’t care if you bring alcohol onboard. Only RC do. Last month on Odyssey, anyone who bought alcohol in Kusadasi (I think) was able to bring it straight to their cabin. 

13 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Also, sometimes in Europe the security checks are in the terminal and not the ship. Port employees don’t care if you bring alcohol onboard. Only RC do. Last month on Odyssey, anyone who bought alcohol in Kusadasi (I think) was able to bring it straight to their cabin. 

Just experienced this today in Palermo. Security in the tent before the long walk to the boat, didn't even ask about the 2 bottles of limoncello that now sit in our room.

• Like 1