Time scrap the Millennium

Obobru

We have just boarded the Millennium and we are shocked at the state of the ship considering is was refurbished in 2019, some then we had a pandemic where it wasn't used. Now before people say it's 25 years old we have sailed the Disney Magic a ship that's 2 years older but a million times better maintained. 

The Millennium looks ok until you look closely and see that it's badly maintained. Example badly plastered and not finished or sanded patches in the shops area. None refitted disabled toilet by the theatre with cistern panel replacement of a badly painted board, old faucet, no disabled alarms, etc

Wobbly tables in the theatre. 

Our room has loads of issues from a broken balcony door, rust everywhere, stained carpets and sofa, stained bathroom floor tiles and patches of mismatched grout and white stains. Doors on the glass cabinets are sagging, the fridge cabinet door is banging as it's broken. The balcony door has clearly had a lot of issues as someone has slapped a load of white emulsion paint on it, it should have been spray painted instead it has half of the door badly painted. 

The whole ship has had a half assed refit and the ongoing maintenance is poor. The problems are all over, the outside isn't in great condition. 

It seems time to put this ship out of its misery. Nothing short of a total strip to the bones refit would bring this ship to the level it needs to be for the prices charged. The crew said it is due a dry dock later this year but said it's in bad condition due to cuts in the maintenance since the pandemic. 

What's people's view on this ship? For us it's the worst we have been on our of other Celebrity ships, Disney, NCL and P&O. 

20240831_165619.jpg

20240831_135307.jpg

20240831_135321.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Cosmetic things don’t give me as much angst as you.  Have you reported any of the broken things to management?

Yes of course. They said the ship is due for a dry dock and that's it. 

If you don't mind cosmetic things at what level do you think it should sink to before it bother you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Have you reported any of the broken things to management?

You shouldn't  have to report poor maintenance  to management, if they are doing thier jobs correctly, all issues  should  be resolved before guests  board
You are basically  telling  to only repair reported issues and if not reported don't  repair.

• Like 5

Keep in mind that cruise ships do not undergo standard downtimes.  Your room is occupied 7-days a week, 365 days a year.  Dry dock is the only time that some non-cosmetic items can be fixed.  How would you feel to walk into your room and find workers grinding and chipping away old paint, cutting metal off and welding new metal back in place, painting and having the smell of paint for the first day or so of your cruise, etc..  

As long as it's not structurally defective or non-functioning, I do not pay much attention to cosmetic issues -- is my room clean, comfortable, and safe - that's what's important to me.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Keep in mind that cruise ships do not undergo standard downtimes.  Your room is occupied 7-days a week, 365 days a year.  Dry dock is the only time that some non-cosmetic items can be fixed.  How would you feel to walk into your room and find workers grinding and chipping away old paint, cutting metal off and welding new metal back in place, painting and having the smell of paint for the first day or so of your cruise, etc..  

As long as it's not structurally defective or non-functioning, I do not pay much attention to cosmetic issues -- is my room clean, comfortable, and safe - that's what's important to me.  

This^^

• Haha 1

I can live with a bit of ‘shabbiness’ if I am expecting it (as I would on am M class ship). However, I would expect everything to be working and clean. 

1 hour ago, Obobru said:

Yes of course. They said the ship is due for a dry dock and that's it. 

If you don't mind cosmetic things at what level do you think it should sink to before it bother you? 

Who did you report your issues to? If my balcony door was defective (can not use or very hard to use) and I felt it was needing a deeper clean (particularly the grouting) I would not accept the ‘due for a dry dock’ and ask head of housekeeping to visit my room and look at my issues. I would also offer to vacate my room for x hours to enable then to do the necessary work…If they said that the work wasn’t possible then I would ask to meet with the Hotel Manager to discuss a situation I didn’t feel was acceptable.

It is difficult on CC, even with pictures, to draw that line between acceptance that you are on an older ship and being given a room ‘not fit for purpose’. Like others who have responded I would board expecting to see some shabbiness but I would still expect it to be a pleasant environment. Friends of mine are recently off the Millie and loved it. They are regular cruises and reported no issues either with their veranda cabin or the ship in general. I do think that some rooms are probably in a worse state than others and also that some people are more sensitive to cosmetic appearance than others too.

Try escalating, you may find that they can improve the aspects of your cabin that upset you the most or if not and they accept your accommodation is not up to standard consider a resolution.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Bare in mind as I stated I have been on an older ship that was in far better shape, pixie dust didn't achieve that. I have returned to my room on a Disney ship with a notice that the carpet had been washed and one time our balcony had been painted. I have been on Disney ships where the carpets were being replaced so people came back to a new carpet and one time the table in out room was replaced mid journey for a new one we know this as we were on a back to back and in port they were throwing all the old ones in a skip.  

It's totally doable with regular maintenance. In fact tomorrow our door will be removed, if it had been maintained that would t need a full removal. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I can live with a bit of ‘shabbiness’ if I am expecting it (as I would on am M class ship). However, I would expect everything to be working and clean. 

Who did you report your issues to? If my balcony door was defective (can not use or very hard to use) and I felt it was needing a deeper clean (particularly the grouting) I would not accept the ‘due for a dry dock’ and ask head of housekeeping to visit my room and look at my issues. I would also offer to vacate my room for x hours to enable then to do the necessary work…If they said that the work wasn’t possible then I would ask to meet with the Hotel Manager to discuss a situation I didn’t feel was acceptable.

It is difficult on CC, even with pictures, to draw that line between acceptance that you are on an older ship and being given a room ‘not fit for purpose’. Like others who have responded I would board expecting to see some shabbiness but I would still expect it to be a pleasant environment. Friends of mine are recently off the Millie and loved it. They are regular cruises and reported no issues either with their veranda cabin or the ship in general. I do think that some rooms are probably in a worse state than others and also that some people are more sensitive to cosmetic appearance than others too.

Try escalating, you may find that they can improve the aspects of your cabin that upset you the most or if not and they accept your accommodation is not up to standard consider a resolution.

The issues have been reported to guest services. 

The housekeeping manager came had someone scrub the tiles but said it's an issue that they are stained and have poor maintenance and it will be addressed in the dry dock. 

The door has been banged with hammers and the handle moved midway, we were told it will have to come off tomorrow and not to open it or it could fall off. They have stopped the loud draft. 

I shouldn't have to escalate it, the room is clearly in a bad state as acknowledged by the staff. While your friends may have had that times of their lives that doesn't have any relevance to my situation. Sometimes people in here think because they had a great time or no issues or were blind to them that the poster must be lying or exaggerating. 

• Like 12

Just now, Obobru said:

I shouldn't have to escalate it, the room is clearly in a bad state as acknowledged by the staff. While your friends may have had that times of their lives that doesn't have any relevance to my situation. Sometimes people in here think because they had a great time or no issues or were blind to them that the poster must be lying or exaggerating. 

It sounds like the staff are trying to remedy your issues the best they can. If you reread my post you will note I did say that I thought some rooms were probably in worse condition than others…My friends probably had a room in better condition. At no point did I suggest you were lying or exaggerating, I simply offered the advice to escalate if you were not happy with the action being taken…

• Like 6

Have you asked for a different cabin?  I agree that at celebrity’s current price point the rooms should be in better shape. I would start by asking for a cabin reassignment and if none are available, then perhaps some refundable OBC. 

My next comment is not an admonishment of the OP but a recommendation to anyone reading…always do your research before booking your cruise. Watch as many YouTube videos of room tours and ship tours as possible. In doing this myself, we’ve passed on certain ships in the past and I believe, saved ourselves from potential disappointment. 

OP, there’s nothing you can do about the ship choice now, just embrace it, grab a drink and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

Cosmetic and maybe other issues need to be addressed as it is an old ship.  But time to Scrap?  It is still a very valuable ship in Celebrity's fleet.  Eventually it will likely be sold, but scrap?  not likely.

Frankly I agree with the poster.  Based on the pictures, it's pretty sad.  I too would be unhappy to see my Celebrity cabin in this condition.  I've been on 55+ cruises and most on RC and Celebrity.   I hope they can move you to a better cabin (and in fact you should get an upgrade).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Obobru said:

The issues have been reported to guest services. 

The housekeeping manager came had someone scrub the tiles but said it's an issue that they are stained and have poor maintenance and it will be addressed in the dry dock. 

The door has been banged with hammers and the handle moved midway, we were told it will have to come off tomorrow and not to open it or it could fall off. They have stopped the loud draft. 

That’s why I am not in hurry to embark the ship, and spent my money on edge class ships.

• Like 2

Stayed in a Royal Suite on the Millennium and our room had some similar cosmetic issues, especially near the balcony doors. In addition, our carpet smelled terrible - I suppose it was mildew as it was super stinky near the balcony doors where it likely kept getting wet. I wanted to give my kid a bath, but the water in the tub kept coming out a brownish-yellow color. Same goes for the jacuzzi tub on the deck. Considering it was revolutionized, I was surprised that it was in such shabby shape. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Keep in mind that cruise ships do not undergo standard downtimes.  Your room is occupied 7-days a week, 365 days a year.  

That's no reason  for lack  of repair,  the ship and accommodation should be as advertised. You paid for accommodation  as on the described on thier website, if below that level, you are not receiving valve for money

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Obobru said:

It seems time to put this ship out of its misery...

...😂

I agree what you are seeing is unacceptable and we would have complained also. Maybe others have also and to bad others don't. Time to scrap the Millennium, disagree.  

This would be something I would be addressing on the MCS and the PCS. <1! 

Edited by doghog

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Have you asked for a different cabin?  I agree that at celebrity’s current price point the rooms should be in better shape. I would start by asking for a cabin reassignment and if none are available, then perhaps some refundable OBC. 

My next comment is not an admonishment of the OP but a recommendation to anyone reading…always do your research before booking your cruise. Watch as many YouTube videos of room tours and ship tours as possible. In doing this myself, we’ve passed on certain ships in the past and I believe, saved ourselves from potential disappointment. 

OP, there’s nothing you can do about the ship choice now, just embrace it, grab a drink and enjoy your cruise!

The ship is completely full. 

I have seen a couple of YouTube videos we chose for the route not the ship as we don't stick to one cruise line we always look itineraries. Tbh not seen any videos saying this ship is bad but looking around it's not in the condition you would expect for a ship that's had a major overhaul 5 years ago with one of those years it being out of service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

I can’t believe the Housekeeping Manager said they have “poor maintenance.”

She said the maintenance was poor in relation to the tiles which she said was due to different colour grouts being used and the maintenance not cleaning them after grouting leaving marks that looks like dirt but was due to the "poor maintenance" you might not believe it but she said it. 

• Like 2

Come back to find room to find they have done the evening clean but have pushed the basin plug in and it doesn't pop back out using the bar design to push it up 😂

The room is in a bad state of repair it's like Faulty Towers at sea with one thing after another. In other news the maintenance have confirmed they will be removing the balcony door tomorrow if the ship is in calmer waters. I hope they don't drop it in sea as they work on it. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Obobru said:

We have just boarded the Millennium and we are shocked at the state of the ship considering is was refurbished in 2019, some then we had a pandemic where it wasn't used. Now before people say it's 25 years old we have sailed the Disney Magic a ship that's 2 years older but a million times better maintained. 

The Millennium looks ok until you look closely and see that it's badly maintained. Example badly plastered and not finished or sanded patches in the shops area. None refitted disabled toilet by the theatre with cistern panel replacement of a badly painted board, old faucet, no disabled alarms, etc

Wobbly tables in the theatre. 

Our room has loads of issues from a broken balcony door, rust everywhere, stained carpets and sofa, stained bathroom floor tiles and patches of mismatched grout and white stains. Doors on the glass cabinets are sagging, the fridge cabinet door is banging as it's broken. The balcony door has clearly had a lot of issues as someone has slapped a load of white emulsion paint on it, it should have been spray painted instead it has half of the door badly painted. 

The whole ship has had a half assed refit and the ongoing maintenance is poor. The problems are all over, the outside isn't in great condition. 

It seems time to put this ship out of its misery. Nothing short of a total strip to the bones refit would bring this ship to the level it needs to be for the prices charged. The crew said it is due a dry dock later this year but said it's in bad condition due to cuts in the maintenance since the pandemic. 

What's people's view on this ship? For us it's the worst we have been on our of other Celebrity ships, Disney, NCL and P&O. 

20240831_165619.jpg

20240831_135307.jpg

20240831_135321.jpg

This is why I cancelled a TA on Eclipse, and moved to another on Apex.  I saw far too many comments here and other social media, YT etc. about degraded appearances, torn carpets, holes in drapes, missing curtain panels, sofas that smell like urine.  It is also scheduled to go to drydock directly following the TA I had been booked on, too risky for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steni said:

How do you find out when Millennium will be going to dry dock? I have a cruise booked for April 2026. 

The housekeeping manager said Oct when she was talking about the state of the room. She didn't hide the fact the ship has a number of issues that need sorting and seemed optimistic they would be sorted in dry dock. Not sure how long that would be but I can't see these issues being fixed as some are huge jobs, the balcony doors are past the end of their useful life as I have seen another in someone else's room and it's also ina bad state that no amount of touching up is going to make it look good. At the end of the day something used daily for 25 years needs replacing by then as it's end of life.