No more Simply More

Jancruz

58 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Although I have mixed feelings about the change, I do like the statement included in the Announcement:

"I'm delighted that we are adding in gratuities for all guests, as our dedicated onboard team is working for guests' smiles – not their tip." 

So has O said that the staff will be getting all of that tip money. Or will they be deducting "costs" from it.

12 minutes ago, clo said:

So has O said that the staff will be getting all of that tip money. Or will they be deducting "costs" from it.

Nothing has changed in the manner in which gratuities are distributed....

14 minutes ago, basor said:

Nothing has changed in the manner in which gratuities are distributed....

Oops. Sorry I guess I missed that. So how ARE they distributed? Color me uninformed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clo said:

Oops. Sorry I guess I missed that. So how ARE they distributed? Color me uninformed.

They are distributed to all staff (except the bar staff that receive the tip from drink orders)...this includes both out front staff and those behind the scenes (laundry, dishwashers, etc.)

Just now, basor said:

They are distributed to all staff (except the bar staff that receive the tip from drink orders)...this includes both out front staff and those behind the scenes (laundry, dishwashers, etc.)

So 100% of the money goes to staff? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

The problem with this answer is that O always included specialty dining, water and soda, at least as far back to 2015 which was my first O cruise. They try to sound like that is something new.

Simply the Same 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, clo said:

So 100% of the money goes to staff? 

Why is it so important to you? Just go and let the employer/employee relationship be between them. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Why is it so important to you? Just go and let the employer/employee relationship be between them. 

LOL. In one way or the new other, that money is still mine/ours. I just never thought of this before. 

47 minutes ago, clo said:

Not my problem. It's a corporate decision.  Just saying that O says the staff are not looking for tips over and above the gratuity.

1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

Not my problem. It's a corporate decision.  Just saying that O says the staff are not looking for tips over and above the gratuity.

Ah, okay. Please understand that I occasionally boycott 'corporations.' And I let them know I'm doing it. And if I'm spending money somewhere I DO care how they spend my money. PS: Walmart, I'm talking to you. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, clo said:

Ah, okay. Please understand that I occasionally boycott 'corporations.' And I let them know I'm doing it. And if I'm spending money somewhere I DO care how they spend my money. PS: Walmart, I'm talking to you. 🙂

Have any of these corporations managed to survive your boycott?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Have any of these corporations managed to survive your boycott?

Oh, of course. But if I say and do nothing then at the very least I can feel guilty. And I've 'inspired' a few others to do the same.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HilsTas said:

From our perspective the ease of having basic wines with meals was a great offering with Simply More - but the excursions were a bit of a waste (and limiting in that we felt obliged to use them as we had paid for them).  We are perfectly happy to see it all disappear

I paid for a Concierge Class Cabin (there is almost a full deck of them- step right up and place your bets🤣 says the carney)- but there is no Concierge Lounge on the R ships. Would it have been a nice perk? Yes for me-but SM made up for the fact it doesn’t exist- Now Nada. Yet not a word from Corporate on calling a Veranda a Concierge Veranda.

Edited by Thought2go
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, clo said:

I like your posts and just wanted to get an idea of other types of travel you do. Sounds good. I think cruising is super but, age permitting, hope not to be limited to that for at least a while. Thanks.

Thank you Clo for this kind response. DH and I truly enjoy both types of travel - land and sea, or combo. We have never done a sea without some land before or after, or both. We also make sure to travel- road or plane - during the year nationally. 
I travelled extensively nationally for work. I grew up with my Dad working for the airlines, and initially myself as well. So travel, I guess, is in my bones. Pretty cool gift. 
As time progresses, we aren’t quite as adventurous as we were, but we sure do still enjoy! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Although I have mixed feelings about the change, I do like the statement included in the Announcement:

"I'm delighted that we are adding in gratuities for all guests, as our dedicated onboard team is working for guests' smiles – not their tip." 

I will make sure I give plenty of extra smiles to my Steward, waiters, bar keeps as this is what they are working for. Benjamins are no longer needed.😂🤣😂

Edited by Thought2go
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I would absolutely add to my response above, that we in no way, shape, or form, travel to the levels that many on these forums do!  There are truly many more experienced travelers than we are, and have such a greater depth of knowledge than we do. . We just enjoy what we can in our retirement and are grateful. 
That said, this change from Oceania is simply a price increase for many passengers. Time will tell how it rolls. I looked at 2026 itineraries, thinking to book before SM was gone, and in Europe, the choices are slim. In time, Market response should drive pricing response to these changes. One way or the other. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sailnsurf said:

There may be another angle to this.With Simply More there was and is likely an increased demand on sommeliers. If standards of service are to be maintained staffing levels probably have to be increased at some point.

Sorry, but I think this is another BS made up excuse. Shouldn't the answer to not being able to provide appropriate wine service to your guests have been to increase the staffing to a level appropriate for a luxury cruise line? Do you really think they would do this to discourage people from having wine with lunch and dinner?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Shouldn't the answer to not being able to provide appropriate wine service to your guests have been to increase the staffing to a level appropriate

Not necessarily. Oceania's "sommeliers" are not sommeliers in the sense that the land based restaurant industry recognises them. In the main, these folk are just servers who serve alcoholic drinks in the ship's restaurants. They appear to have no particular skill or knowledge about the wines available. Most folk appear to just have glasses of wine, rather than bottles. I can't see any reason why the food servers cannot also pour the wine available by the glass. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you Clo for this kind response. DH and I truly enjoy both types of travel - land and sea, or combo. We have never done a sea without some land before or after, or both. We also make sure to travel- road or plane - during the year nationally. 
I travelled extensively nationally for work. I grew up with my Dad working for the airlines, and initially myself as well. So travel, I guess, is in my bones. Pretty cool gift. 
As time progresses, we aren’t quite as adventurous as we were, but we sure do still enjoy! 

The beginning port and ending port are always most important to us.  Days in ports on cruise ships seem a bit sanitized.  It’s a nice way to see things and get a taste.  A day with a good tours by locals guide can get you closer to a real experience.  We booked our first Oceania cruise from Lisbon.  After booking (and paying), now kind of wish we just spent 10 days in Portugal instead (we’ll do five).  I do think cruisers are a different breed. I envy people who enjoy ship activities and make the most of it.  I usually rest and decompress from life/work.  

9 hours ago, clo said:

But if I say and do nothing then at the very least I can feel guilty.

I take principled stands about buying products. I'm now 74 and, throughout my adult life, I've not knowingly bought products from a particular country. Does it make a jot of difference? Probably not, but I feel better for it. Although, I also didnt buy South African goods during the apartheid boycott  and I like to believe that it helped to bring it to an end. And maybe it actually did.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Sorry, but I think this is another BS made up excuse. Shouldn't the answer to not being able to provide appropriate wine service to your guests have been to increase the staffing to a level appropriate for a luxury cruise line? Do you really think they would do this to discourage people from having wine with lunch and dinner?

Although this is not directly directed to your quote, it seems an appropriate response to this subtopic. I’m just off an 18 day cruise on Sirena, and I never had any difficulty getting served alcohol during the “appropriate” hours. And the wine selection I felt was better than in the past. But that’s just my subjective taste.

Also, that reminds me of one of the major reasons I left Celebrity is that pre-Covid we could not get served on Reflection. It was a scrum to get a drink at a bar. Also the food was not good. 🤯

Edited by PhD-iva
To rant on X
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

So you're saying we're supposed to acknowledge that this change is nothing more than a price increase and just accept it? I am so tired of people who make excuses for cruise lines and other big companies. Do you make the same excuses for cereal companies who reduce the size of their products after raising prices? This is the same thing.

You don’t have to accept anything. 

What we do is book our cruises based on the current value and overall package. If after the chance O is still attractive, we will book O. If not, there are other options.

I don’t stop buying cereal just because the product size is reduced. I don’t stop flying because prices are up 50%+. If I start playing principles, I will stay home in an empty house naked and hungry.

It is what it is. All corporations do it. We as smart customers have to do whatever is best for us.

• Like 7