Question for Veteran cruisers

bossbuck

I see all of the videos on youtube of the partying by the pool and the beat goes on. I am a little to old for all that just want to relax. 

I see it mostly on RCL. Can anyone verify this and what cruise line would you suggest for a more upscale quiet and relaxing version thank you in advance. 

6 minutes ago, bossbuck said:

I see all of the videos on youtube of the partying by the pool and the beat goes on. I am a little to old for all that just want to relax. 

I see it mostly on RCL. Can anyone verify this and what cruise line would you suggest for a more upscale quiet and relaxing version thank you in advance. 

While I don't have a big variety of cruise lines we've done, it seems that there are times on the pool deck that there is some sort of event going on, but not all the time.  Other times, just a lot of people, but no real planned activity.

Also, some cruise lines have and adult only area that is (mostly) quieter.  

• Like 1

I’m way past that age.  In fact, I’m not sure I ever was that age…at that age.  There are lines that have multiple pools, and some are busier than others.  You might look at Princess, or Celebrity.   Or MSC, in the Yacht Club.  You would not like Virgin Voyages.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, bossbuck said:

Have you looked into Oceania cruises?

They are a bit more expensive, but they have a range of accommodations from inside or ocean-view cabins, to veranda cabins, to various sized suites.  (Their penthouse suites are very nice, but they aren't "suites" one might think of with separate rooms.  We find those a great match for us, including some of the extra services.)

Once one is out of their room or suite, everyone is treated pretty much the same.  Just about the only exception is that there is a spa area and that is key-card controlled, or a per-day fee, and there is a separate hot tub/therapy pool there, but not much else... so you don't miss out on much.

If you want late evening night-club type activity with loud music, this is *not* the cruise line for you! 😉 

Is this for your first cruise, or do you have some experience, such as with RC or?

GC

• Like 1

I would agree with @Essiesmom with the alternatives of Celebrity or Princess.  But IMO RCI is not considered a "party cruise line" - that would more fit Carnival - but its' primary target demographics is families and it is oriented in its' cruising atmosphere to that. Celebrity is essentially the polar oposite of that with a more adult orientation.  Princess will certainly attract families but is IMO more sedate.

55 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I’m way past that age.  In fact, I’m not sure I ever was that age…at that age.  There are lines that have multiple pools, and some are busier than others.  You might look at Princess, or Celebrity.   Or MSC, in the Yacht Club.  You would not like Virgin Voyages.  EM

MSc yacht club is amazing never seen it crowded or noisy, loads of comfortable deck lounge chairs in pool area. 

I'm 75+ and have cruised since 1974, w/11 cruise lines (some of which no longer exist).  My late DH & I were never "party-ers".  He was a bridge player & I'm a reader/ocean watcher.  I/we have mostly cruised w/Princess since 1989.  I often cruise solo now & still am quite comfortable w/Princess.  I'll add that our DD also prefers PCL & vetoes me every time I suggest we try a new line.  [She has agreed to try our bucket list ship, Cunard's QM2.]

PCL is trying to appeal to a broad range of pax, including more families & 'under 50' folks.  However, it remains a "mature" pax group.  The farther you get from the main 2 pools, the quieter it gets.  If I don't have a balcony, I can always find a quiet, shady place to read & sea -watch. 

The food is not remarkable but still quite good w/all the usual place choices (MDR, buffet, pizza, specialty restaurants, etc). There are lots of musical venues at various times/places around the ship as well as a couple of Adults Only areas on deck.

Most of the ships are in the 2600 - 3200 pax range.  The 4 newest ships are 3600, but I'm avoiding them. There are always lots of Activities listed in the daily Patter (newsletter), but I avoid those too; my book is always better.  There are quite a few olders (me included) on scooters & walkers.

I'm certainly not the most exciting pax on Princess but it's worked for me for 35 years.  Whatever line you choose, ENJOY!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bossbuck said:

Definitely look into Royal, especially the larger ships.  They all have a very nice Adult only Solarium area that are nice and quiet.  Very relaxing!!

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind about the larger ships that have "quiet areas" or even separate special, restricted areas (Yacht Club, Haven, etc.) is that... there are likely to be times that you are in the "main areas".  And that might be a bit more crowded and noisy, or even a lot more crowded and noisy.

We did that *once* - and said, "Never again!"

It was just as expensive as the smaller and generally nicer ships (keeping in mind that "nicer" is in the mind of the beholder, but OP is *not* looking for crowded, loud, very active cruises).

And the "smaller, special area" was very nice indeed (and we weren't even in one of the newer ones).  But the main dining room, even walking to the main dining room, or any other "general public" areas... it was beyond hectic.

Note: We took this particular cruise over the holidays, which only added to the "activity" and the number of children on board, and that was not good planning on our part.  Live and learn, etc.

However, it was not at all like being on something like Oceania's Riviera.  We did that the next holiday season, and it was like night and day.

On the other hand, some people may *prefer* that combination!  A somewhat quieter area when they are in that kind of mood, but all of the facilities and activities of a larger ship with a wider variety of offerings when *that* is what they want... The best of both worlds!

There are many different cruising experiences.  The trick is to try to figure out what is likely to work best for you and your companions, if any.  And then perhaps try something else if some of it appealed, but some didn't...  Any one cruise/ship/line is not likely to be perfect, but a goal should be to find the best match overall for what you prefer.

For example, if we were traveling with our grandchildren, Oceania would not be our choice for that trip, although for some itineraries such as Alaska, they do offer special sailings with special programs for children.

Again, "something for everyone"! 🙂 

But do some background research to help find what is best for "you".  Asking about specifics here on CC is a great place to learn more.

GC

• Like 2

Everything depends on the current composition of passengers. A transatlantic or longer cruise will be more sedate without a lot of partying around the pool. Even a more upscale cruise line can be overtaken during Christmas or spring and summer breaks. So, that same ship during a rather wild NCL or RCL cruise during spring break in the Caribbean would morph into a quieter, calmer experience during shoulder season when the young folks are at school or at work. Avoid cruises shorter than a week.

• Like 1

Holland America hands down IMHO.  My husband likes this line for the more sedate and relaxing atmosphere.  I'm not sure about the other lines, but I can tell you that Holland (HAL) is booking up ships similar to how the airlines do it; overbook.  Don't let that discourage you.  A few tips on the Holland forum and veteran HAL cruisers can help you with the best tips.  Keep in mind holidays will be the worst in terms of busier cruises and cruises with kids; especially the 7 day cruises.  We avoid 7 day cruises for this reason, and a few others.  Stateroom choice is very important.  On HAL Pinnacle class ships, you don't want to be near The Music Walk and in general, you don't want to book a stateroom near The World Stage.  These terms are meaningless to someone that has not sailed on HAL, so go over to that forum and just start reading some of the posts.  I think for your requirement, this would be a good choice.  You are not going to find a bunch of young party goers on HAL.  Good Luck.  

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 2:24 PM, bossbuck said:

Most cruise lines also have an adult pool area that is quieter and that includes RCL (we enjoyed the Solarium on Anthem of the Seas).

If you go w any of the luxury or super luxury cruises cruises you will get the vibe that you want.  Yes I know they appear much more expensive and they are not cheap but the upscale cruises usually include stuff that isn't included in the mass market cruises so the price differential as not as great as it seems.

DON