Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

What a coincidence, a few posts here about Celebrity and look what I found when I put on my skirt today.

20240917_101716.thumb.jpg.ada2a03ea983960f79dc3a0c13c432be.jpg

From the laundry label number, I'd say that was our Tahitian Treasures cruise back in 2019. Things have changed a bit since then sadly!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Harters said:

I confess to being a messy eater and never eat long pasta in public. So, I've never tried the carbonara in Toscana. I really should because it reads as though it's an entirely traditional preparation - with no cream!

PS: my pasta eating skills are the height of refinement in comparison with my use of chopsticks which is, frankly, an embarrassment. Some of the places in Chinatown only offer chopsticks so it's a matter of needs must. 

What happens in Toscana stays in Toscana. Live, laugh, and eat like no one's watching! 😁

Edited by SSFrance69
typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Correct.   Which is why I think they're silly.  But again,  others are welcome to disagree. My wife seems to like them. 

I agree, kind of useless---but I like them on a table.  Usually at better restaurants they service the first course that is plated on them (and remove both when finished).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Last night they said the northern lights were visible at 1 am.   I was asleep 💤 by that time. 

That is something I would love to see---no matter what time.  But it would have to be for sure before I would stay up.  But a wakeup call would be nice and I'm really enjoying your post.😆

Edited by ronrick1943
add on thank you
  • Like 1

So glad to hear you are enjoying Oceania @Jim_Iain. Have you sailed Azamara? We loved Pursuit, reminds me of Regatta. Sister ships? Someone with more experience will clue me in I’m sure. We are looking forward to our Vista cruise in January. 

Have you noticed if there are gluten free, vegan, etc signs at the buffet? Thanks for taking the time to post about your fabulous adventures!

Erin

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

Have you noticed if there are gluten free, vegan, etc signs at the buffet? Thanks for taking the time to post about your fabulous adventures!

The menus posted outside the Terrace Cafe have symbols (see legend at the bottom), at least for vegan options.  Not sure about gluten free, but I would expect them to be listed the same way if they are going to provide that.  This menu is a sample from our last cruise on Vista, but expect it would be the same on all ships.

20231214_112931.jpg

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

So glad to hear you are enjoying Oceania @Jim_Iain. Have you sailed Azamara? We loved Pursuit, reminds me of Regatta. Sister ships? Someone with more experience will clue me in I’m sure. We are looking forward to our Vista cruise in January. 

Erin

Menus are at many TC stations.  Also on cabin TV for that day, in addition to entrance to TC.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2024 at 8:49 AM, bbqoug said:

We had an excellent dinner at Toscana last night.

I had the Ministrone soup, small portion of lasagne, and the Dover Sole - all delicious.

I especially liked the lasagne.

We are onboard Celebrity Solstice right now in Luminae and the difference between food , even in MDR in Oceania, is night and day!  The service is excellent…the food ….disappointing!  Markedly so.  Way below quality of Azamara, as well.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 4

On 9/14/2024 at 8:32 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Well that’s all for now.  

We left on time.   You can definitely feel and hear the thrusters. 

IMG_5490.thumb.jpeg.53477b8856614a991f42713301775ff4.jpeg

IMG_5491.thumb.jpeg.464032b08ffb80cbb2e5504d2b375a97.jpeg

Beautiful sunset just before dinner. 

IMG_5496.thumb.jpeg.dc3d1eebd1f23e9c407a976c8350c6d4.jpeg

We watched you sail out as we had just arrived at Pan Pacific hotel!  We were sailing out the next day on Solstice.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2024 at 9:50 AM, njhorseman said:

While marijuana is legal in Canada it is not legal to bring it into the country unless you have a valid prescription for a drug authorized by Health Canada. Even if you have a valid and authorized drug you have to declare it. (Source: Canada Border Services Agency)

CBD cream, as well, it seems? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

CBD cream, as well, it seems? 

Correct:

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/drugs

"Cannabis

It is illegal to take cannabis across the Canadian border, whether you are entering or leaving the country. This includes products containing cannabis, such as edible cannabis, cannabis extracts and cannabis topicals, and all products containing CBD."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Correct:

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/drugs

"Cannabis

It is illegal to take cannabis across the Canadian border, whether you are entering or leaving the country. This includes products containing cannabis, such as edible cannabis, cannabis extracts and cannabis topicals, and all products containing CBD."

Yes, I had planned to bring some CBD cream with me….my shoulder is missing it .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

What can I say impeccable service and food. 

IMG_5707.thumb.jpeg.31978f32540d41e1fbd0eaf331141e3b.jpeg

IMG_5706.thumb.jpeg.e6855483f5a6bb02ab0a8b2b139453f4.jpeg

IMG_5709.thumb.jpeg.7067f154868b2097c393ada426cf2d79.jpeg

IMG_5713.thumb.jpeg.8b24487e70d5156866012a12d856c209.jpeg

IMG_5714.thumb.jpeg.3273e1318bc9733d9a9ee7a3cdb4c1c1.jpeg

IMG_5715.thumb.jpeg.fea44dbbc5a3ae9223a90e75f24667be.jpeg

IMG_5718.thumb.jpeg.7193e43e5178a18a849a7ebd93ff408e.jpeg

IMG_5717.thumb.jpeg.726fc8a0f53084978202de2cfb703a23.jpeg

IMG_5719.thumb.jpeg.133d8a75ef3d8aa38a290063ceeb1086.jpeg

IMG_5719.thumb.jpeg.133d8a75ef3d8aa38a290063ceeb1086.jpeg

IMG_5722.thumb.jpeg.908ff8ad32f1f44f9ab0c12bd7ee038e.jpeg

IMG_5723.thumb.jpeg.e0215e224c5417b40ae007cfc1ee513d.jpeg

IMG_5725.thumb.jpeg.cd12c030bbedf1b1bc8da5cd3f9f5231.jpeg

IMG_5726.thumb.jpeg.209a692e252b1ccfb47cdb0406c0abec.jpeg

I do say it was rather empty when we left.  We had a 9:00 reservation, but they called and said we could come earlier if we desired.  

Toscana was only about half filled when we arrived. 

IMG_5727.thumb.jpeg.bbd9db946782f9faebd63f28b9459409.jpeg

IMG_5728.thumb.jpeg.8dcb5f767b35fe6355b5b8139f14e3b7.jpeg

IMG_5729.thumb.jpeg.1882743ba41c8f1887b7255c945b84ee.jpeg

IMG_5730.thumb.jpeg.3a8d3e146a8c2c9cd41c87c8e45b308e.jpeg

Looks wonderful....... makes me want to find another Oceania cruise to book!!! So glad you are enjoying.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 6:09 AM, terrydtx said:

Yes we have. We just finished an 11 day cruise of Canada on the HAL Volendam that was fantastic in a small ship. Celebrity priced us out of their product, we can cruise with Oceania for less on similar itineraries, like our cruise of South America next March. We can also cruise in a Neptune Suite with HAL for less per day than a Celebrity Sky Suite. 

Terry

i don’t think you will be disappointed.  Sp far service impeccable and the food is very good. 

Takes a bit getting used to things.   For example at the grill you sit down at a table and waiters bring your drinks and take your order.   Very civilized. 

The ice cream has really been good. Even if the machine for sliocam is broken.   About as good as the premium hello on celebrity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2024 at 6:37 AM, Harters said:

I confess to not being thrilled with HS ice cream. They have the occasional weird flavour and the occasional flavour that is just not very nice at all. 

But I forgive the two guys who own the company. Total respect for how they came up with the HS name. 

After all the hype I’ve been disappointed to not be able to try.  

On 9/16/2024 at 9:43 AM, Gordoncruickshank said:

We are pretty much the same. 27 Celebrity cruises almost in A row (1 MSC a few years ago) and we have no Celebrity Cruises booked at all. Are doing MSC YC next year and booked another for 2026. I looked at 2025 Celebrity prices and the wanted £28k for a RS for 14 nights. What I booked for 2026 is similar sized at a cost of £11k and the product was every bit as good as Celebrity.

Either there is a huge influx of new Celebrity cruisers or I suspect they will have to start slashing prices.   In 24 years with Celebrity I've never seen such a large defection.  I assume they have to be making good money....RCL stock is at an all time high.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Takes a bit getting used to things.   For example at the grill you sit down at a table and waiters bring your drinks and take your order.   Very civilized. 

A very civilized approach indeed. We are very excited about our Marina cruise in March.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 11:49 AM, Jancruz said:

If you have the page from the paper that shows all the officers, I would much appreciate it i you could send a picture or just post the names and positions..I have a meeting when I board on the 26th and right now its like pulling teeth getting the names of the people I am meeting with.

I do know The GM as he is a friend of mine..

Thanks,

Jancruz1

IMG_5580.thumb.jpeg.5dafdd0f0eb2212640ef8b0b2ffc38df.jpeg

IMG_5579.thumb.jpeg.76d27c50926da9ae6a3e0b2dff318d0d.jpeg

Here ya go

On 9/16/2024 at 2:14 PM, ronrick1943 said:

Enjoying your post and the photo's.  Looks great, and happy to see your greet and meet on the ship.  We'll be getting on the Riviera next year (Seattle/Tokyo) in an Owner's Suite.  I realize a lot of the amenities are the same along lines, but I do believe Oceania has the best suites. We've been cruising Regent and Silversea for a while and we are looking forward to are return to Oceania.  We'll most likely book something before that trip, but haven't seen anything I really like out of a port we are near.

Thanks again for sharing your trip.

Take a good look before October 1 to be able to get Simply More.  

On 9/16/2024 at 2:34 PM, SSFrance69 said:

I jumped ship from Celebrity as well. Two sailings under our Oceania belts and we are in love and converted. However next year I'm taking my daughter who is in her 20s on Celebrity Ascent in Aqua (I loved Blu the one time I tried it last year) and then my husband and I are sailing on Koningsdam to Alaska. I would have loved to take Oceania to Alaska, but it's our first time visiting and HAL was the one that did Glacier Bay... and we really wanted to experience that. I was curious how you like HAL and how that food compares to Celebrity. FWIW we have Club Orange, so maybe that will be a plus. This all means I have to wait until 2026 for my next Oceania adventure. That's going to be a difficult wait. I'm already pining away for the wonderful food.

I'm sure the time will fly by.     I have really enjoyed the smaller ship, especially on a tender port like today.    We had a really short wait for a tender.   It is taking a little getting used to that suites don't get priority for things like tendering and disembarkation.     It's a nice perk that Celebrity has.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1