Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

On 9/16/2024 at 3:04 PM, Orator said:

I have cruised Oceania,Viking and Crystal as well as Celebrity and other lines. Crystal was head and shoulders  the best experience. 

Good to hear Tom.    We are out exploring.   We booked this cruise specifically because we didn't have to fly to Florida.  We can almost fly to Europe faster than to FLL.   You are lucky to have so many opportunities in your back yard.

On 9/16/2024 at 3:14 PM, Calgary3 said:

Aurora Borealis

Just wanted to let you know in case you are night owls and have clear skies:

Forecast: High aurora activity forecasted. If skies are clear, highly active auroral displays may be visible overhead from Utqiaġvik to Bethel, Dillingham and Ketchikan, and may be visible low on the horizon from King Salmon.

I will be out tonight in Calgary trying to get a glimpse.  As you probably know, look at the skies through your phone camera to see the best colours.  Hope you get to see them.

Iain was talking with the captain in the smoking area and he indicated the good chance of Northern Lights.     They were not at their prime until 1AM by which time I was sound asleep.    Maybe we will get a second chance.

On 9/16/2024 at 6:16 PM, Jazzbo said:

Love the photos! I enjoy the clouds & cool soft rain and the watery lights.

It is incredible to see such beauty.   In the SF bay area we rarely get clouds.   The add so much interest to a photo. 

Today was a totally different day.   We arrived to bright sun.   Really great day.  Have to prep the photos.    Tuesday is the Fjords and Glacier and the forecast is rain... May have time to catch up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cluso said:

Just some clarifications.

While some venues retain the beautiful/elegant woodwork of yesteryear, much of the ship was refurbished.  As Jim said in post #123, "The peaceful Blue and Silver pallet are both modern and relaxing."

The Versace dishes.  When first seated, there is a Versace bread and butter plate and a large Versace charger at your place.  All food comes out on white dishes.  The first course is placed on the charger, and after you are done with the first course, the charger is removed with the first course dish.  The following courses are all on white dishes.  Refined, but not  "Grandma". 😉

Last night was our first visit to Toscana.   They have a totally different Versache -   Just as elegant but again -  the charger is just used for show.    I loved the multiple layered table clothes ....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

I don't want to hijack this thread but I've never understood the idea of a charger.   They wash the tablecloth daily anyway.  Is it just a target so the waiter knows where to put the plate?  Why have something there just to take it away basically unused. 

However,   it appears that people like it so maybe I just have an odd perspective. 

Thank you guys for posts,  information and especially the menus.  Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Don't worry about going off topic.  If you haven't realized already I'm very scattered and love to go off topic.

I think that chargers are just to make a beautiful presentation.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Jim glad that you are able to post your fantastic pictures. You are bringing back memories of when I lived in Montana and was able to take in the mountains. Since we cruise to get away from our Minnesota winters, it's going to be a while before we can take in an Alaskan cruise.

I want to thank you for doing this comparison trip report. I have Oceania on a list of cruise lines to try, along with Crystal, Explora, and Viking. I trust your reviews implicitly, they are such a big help in making future choices.

Thanks Mike....   Really quite the change for us coming to Alaska.   We don't get rain between April and November so it is nice to see everything so lush and green.  

I grew up in Upstate New York where we got -30F temperatures and over a 100 inches of snow a year.    When I left I said I would never even go back to visit it.    While it is beautiful I sure can imagine living in it again. 

Now that we are separated from Celebrity We are planning on doing a lot of dating with the other lines.   Kinda like being young again.   So many new experiences.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

What is the pasta dish from Toscana? Did you end up trying the Carbonara after all? If so I hope it was as good as what we had both times we dined there! I'm loving all these photos. It's making me pine away for Oceania. Thank you for taking the time to share.

That pasta dish was the Carbonara --- It was delicious but I think the forgot the poached egg.   I really didn't make a fuss about it because I was already pretty full from the bread, olive oil, cheese and soup.  

I think I mentioned we are really not big eaters and I have to pace myself or I get tired of eating after awhile.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Harters said:

I confess to being a messy eater and never eat long pasta in public. So, I've never tried the carbonara in Toscana. I really should because it reads as though it's an entirely traditional preparation - with no cream!

PS: my pasta eating skills are the height of refinement in comparison with my use of chopsticks which is, frankly, an embarrassment. Some of the places in Chinatown only offer chopsticks so it's a matter of needs must. 

Love it.   Please give it a try.   It is really so much easier to eat than a spaghetti due to the flat and wider noodles.    The sauce definitely is no cheese... It is 100% egg yolks just set by the heat of the noodles and mixed with lots of Parmesan cheese. 

I make mine with finely sliced Prosciutto and then crisp it like bacon and then put it on top with wide leaf parsley.     They use small little chunks of prosciutto.   I liked their sauces better than mine but like my crispy prosciutto better.  I put two poached eggs on top ....     Not a complaint but a different presentation.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Bellisimo String Quartet.  Such talented musicians.  Very enjoyable.  Performing in Upper Hall 2 times a day.  IMG_20240917_211438946.thumb.jpg.16178922f6cab5d14f843a772fc1c0e1.jpgAlso play during 4pm tea in Horizons Lounge.

I love their different coordinated outfits...always wonder how they fit all of their clothes in their limited space.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure the time will fly by.     I have really enjoyed the smaller ship, especially on a tender port like today.    We had a really short wait for a tender.   It is taking a little getting used to that suites don't get priority for things like tendering and disembarkation.     It's a nice perk that Celebrity has.

Haven't ever stayed in a suite, but reports from those who have suggest you can ask your Butler about tender access. Reports=butler (sometimes?) takes you direct to front of tender line. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 1:53 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Iain use to work for Janet Yellen when she was president of the SF Federal Reserve. 

Since we’re dropping names here, and it’s OK to go off topic, I’ll just chime in that Janet Yellen was my intro to macro economics professor at Cal. My undergraduate education at Cal was so good, that I hardly learned anything new in my graduate studies at NYU. 

I’m on the next itinerary, hoping to help Jan to celebrate her big day. My cabin mate and I are looking forward to heading over to East Bay to visit our Alma Mater.

• Like 6

Jim, I always enjoy your wonderful photos and trip reports. I'm glad you are enjoying Oceania.  It is my second favorite, with Regent being first in line.  As a fellow escapee from Celebrity I would put them so far down the list that I can say with certainty that they will never get another dollar from me.  Every once in a while we get a brochure and my husband starts to talk about some cruise and the glare I give him is enough to make him back down as I remind him of all the many reasons we gave up on them.

In November we are on a cruise on the Vista followed the next day by a cruise on the Regent Grandeur.  So it will be interesting to compare the two newer ships on the two lines.  We have been on the Vista before and enjoyed it, but have never been on the Grandeur.  I would say that your investigation of cruise lines will not be complete until you someday try Regent!

Joanie

• Like 2

I'm really enjoying your report. It makes me realize that for some of us that have been on Oceania regularly might tend to take certain things for granted, and when presented through the eyes of one new to the line make me appreciate it more. Glad you're enjoying Regatta, it's one of our favorites. If you're liking it, I think you'll really enjoy the larger ships. 

• Like 10

An alert to those who may consider visiting Canada for any reason. A DUI/DWI charge or conviction can prohibit entry to Canada. Drunk and drug charges are more serious legal events in Canada. I know someone who was denied entry because of this*. If one goes to "canada" dui" "immigration" or other such search terms you will see the result. Think now before you go. 

*He was on the hydrofoil from Seattle to Victoria and they required him to wait in the entry hall for the immediate return trip. The other couple continued their day trip without him and his wife.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That pasta dish was the Carbonara --- It was delicious but I think the forgot the poached egg.   I really didn't make a fuss about it because I was already pretty full from the bread, olive oil, cheese and soup.  

I think I mentioned we are really not big eaters and I have to pace myself or I get tired of eating after awhile.   

I don't think they served it with a poached egg both times we had it on two different ships. Must just be their way of serving it. That's ok... it was perfect just the way it was. I don't think I've ever had carbonara with a poached egg on top. Now I'm intrigued to try it that way. By the way, if it's something you enjoy, be sure to try the Caesar salad... the one they serve in the GDR was really good. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

I don't think they served it with a poached egg both times we had it on two different ships. Must just be their way of serving it. That's ok... it was perfect just the way it was. I don't think I've ever had carbonara with a poached egg on top. Now I'm intrigued to try it that way. By the way, if it's something you enjoy, be sure to try the Caesar salad... the one they serve in the GDR was really good. 

I have enjoyed carbonara many times in Rome and never had it served with a poached egg on top. Traditional Roman Carbonara is made with egg yokes and parmesan cheese for the sauce and never is any cream added. Too many US Italian restaurants try to pass off Carbonara with a parmesan cream sauce and no egg yokes.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Carbonara is made with egg yokes and parmesan cheese for the sauce and never is any cream added

Traditionally pecorino, rather than parmesan, in my experience.  Cheese, egg yolk, guanciale, seasoning  - and that's it. Delish. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Bellisimo String Quartet.  Such talented musicians.  Very enjoyable.  Performing in Upper Hall 2 times a day.  IMG_20240917_211438946.thumb.jpg.16178922f6cab5d14f843a772fc1c0e1.jpgAlso play during 4pm tea in Horizons Lounge.

They really are talented.

We enjoyed their rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody last night.

• Like 2

Jim, thank you for this beautiful Live Review. It sounds like you and Iain are having a wonderful time and that Oceania is living up to your expectations. I was a little sad to see that Toscana was a desert at dessert time. Also, are the lights in the restaurant really that bright or was it your camera giving that impression? 

It seems every cruise has a particular vibe depending on the passengers on board. Being a US and Canada cruise, with many North American passengers,  partly explains the restaurant being so empty later at night. Also, people on premium/luxury lines tend to be a little older, as we all know here.

Please continue posting your beautiful pictures and your insightful commentaries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, no cruise up Tracy Arm.  My husband predicted that earlier this AM after looking at the weather and his navigational maps.  Poor visibility and a narrow fjord.  Safety first.

Plenty of time to go through all the bear pictures from yesterday.  😁

• Like 1