No more tram service unless handicapped from ship on Cocoa Cay?

EllieinNJ

I’m there on average twice a year. Train doesn’t start at outer edge.

This and also if there won’t be a general line people with difficulties walking will automatically have better access to trams.

We will be there twice in Nov on a Wonder b2b.  While I had a knee and ankle injury 5 years ago and my knee gets stiff and sore, I can walk the length of the pier and have all but our first time back there after my injury when we went back in 2021 after restart.  But, there are plenty of people who can't do the walk even if they appear they could because they don't use a walker or wheelchair. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BND said:

We will be there twice in Nov on a Wonder b2b.  While I had a knee and ankle injury 5 years ago and my knee gets stiff and sore, I can walk the length of the pier and have all but our first time back there after my injury when we went back in 2021 after restart.  But, there are plenty of people who can't do the walk even if they appear they could because they don't use a walker or wheelchair. 

So they will have easier time getting on tram than if they compete with everyone else. 

10 minutes ago, Tatka said:

So they will have easier time getting on tram than if they compete with everyone else. 

Well, yeah.  Isn't that the purpose of the change anyway?    

What always got me were the families that rode.  I've heard parents say, but their little legs get tired.  LOL.  These are the same kids that spend all day running everywhere they go while on the island.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BND said:

What always got me were the families that rode.  I've heard parents say, but their little legs get tired.  LOL.  These are the same kids that spend all day running everywhere they go while on the island.  

Thats what I think was their idea, keep the trams for those that really needed it, especially since the huge ships are bringing so many to the island the same day, it would make it almost impossible for those that really need it.  Thankfully we’ve never needed it and always walk. Who knows, someday we may.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

I agree, this should be a very little child which cannot walk 500 meters.

I guess maybe exceptions will go both ways. Main point is that general public which can walk will not try to get a space on tram. Or at least a majority.

Edited by Tatka

Was on a B4B on the Independence. On the 3rd cruise, asked where the tram was and was told only for handicap.  I was shocked as I had used the tram the 2 previous cruises. They said new rule, sorry. Shocked I walked away.  I do not consider myself handicapped, but being in my 80"s, that is a long walk to the island for me.  I stopped several times to rest before I reached the island and could catch the other trams.

When I returned to the ship and voiced my concern of this new policy, I was told the more complaints they get to pass on to corporate, then maybe Royal will change it. 

• Like 3

On 10/14/2024 at 7:33 AM, Tatka said:

Issue is not that it’s not enough trains, but rather safety. People walk and trains run on the same pier. They will have trains, but maybe less and for people who really need them.

What happens on other islands where there are no trains? There are many of them?

First, the trams on Coco Cay have a special marked lane...if people are walking in those lanes, apparently they didn't pay attention to the signage. Second, on those islands where there are no trains/trams we don't get off the ship. I will look out to see how far the walk is and if it looks to be longer than I know I can handle, I just rearrange my plans and stay on the ship. It's ok, it's something I accept

On 10/13/2024 at 12:56 PM, EllieinNJ said:

Perhaps already discussed here but just read about it in FB.  What about those that have knee, hip, back, breathing problems and just cannot walk the long walk from the ship to the water park?  Do we have to remain on the ship?

No you don't. My Dad is handicapped with issues in both knees and can take the tram with us. Due to his height, he has to ride in the back.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2024 at 5:33 PM, Cruise5life said:

How are they going to determine who’s handicapped and who isn’t.   ????

that’s the question 

I have COPD but walk just fine.   I’d be happy to use the tram if I get priority.   

COPD?

On 10/13/2024 at 12:56 PM, EllieinNJ said:

Perhaps already discussed here but just read about it in FB.  What about those that have knee, hip, back, breathing problems and just cannot walk the long walk from the ship to the water park?  Do we have to remain on the ship?

We were on CocoCay a couple of weeks ago and while they ask to give priority to disabled passengers, they let anyone who wants to ride the trams. 

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We were on CocoCay a couple of weeks ago and while they ask to give priority to disabled passengers, they let anyone who wants to ride the trams. 

And, as I posted above, the trams have returned to normal according to a post on FB.

• Like 1

I have Parkinson's and have limited mobility.  I use a rollator when leaving ship in port of call.  In most ports, the availability of a shuttle is very limited.  Although from my observation a substantial majority of able-bodied people do not seek to use a shuttle, some do.  And, when there are 6,700 passengers, it only takes a few to quickly fill a shuttle.  I think it a good idea to have clear signage stating when a shuttle is only for handicapped/disabled people because that will help reduce the number of those not really needing shuttle help and leaving seats for those who really struggle without help.

I would add, again just in my experience, that if I approach a shuttle which is filling up or already full, more often than not someone will get up and tell me to take their seat and even offer to help find a place to put my rollator.  People generally are very kind and helpful when they see someone that clearly needs help - if they just see people who seem able-bodied jumping on, they will do the same.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SnorkelAway said:

I have Parkinson's and have limited mobility.  I use a rollator when leaving ship in port of call.  In most ports, the availability of a shuttle is very limited.  Although from my observation a substantial majority of able-bodied people do not seek to use a shuttle, some do.  And, when there are 6,700 passengers, it only takes a few to quickly fill a shuttle.  I think it a good idea to have clear signage stating when a shuttle is only for handicapped/disabled people because that will help reduce the number of those not really needing shuttle help and leaving seats for those who really struggle without help.

I would add, again just in my experience, that if I approach a shuttle which is filling up or already full, more often than not someone will get up and tell me to take their seat and even offer to help find a place to put my rollator.  People generally are very kind and helpful when they see someone that clearly needs help - if they just see people who seem able-bodied jumping on, they will do the same.

Is anyone reading the thread?  It's gone back to normal according to reports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have friends onboard the Wonder this week and they were just at Coco Cay on Monday.  She elected not to get off because of this new policy that is still in effect this week.

She spoke with another passenger who said she was told SHE could ride because she is handicapped but her husband could not (even though the new policy is for a handicapped person plus one companion).

This policy is so new I am sure there is a lot of confusion because they are not good relating new information to the crew who need it most.

• Like 1