Don't get too attached to the cabin you selected!

9 hours ago, KarlK said:

out by 6 or 7AM and back in by 9PM at the latest.

An inside stateroom anywhere on the ship will work for you. But, some of us want and need downtime to recharge for the next adventure thus the reason the cabin is so important. What is so frustrating is paying for a service (and that is what this is) only to be denied with no compensation. No matter how it is viewed, it is used car salesman tactic.

As far as “everyone does it” goes, that is a straw man argument and logical fallacy.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

An inside stateroom anywhere on the ship will work for you. But, some of us want and need downtime to recharge for the next adventure thus the reason the cabin is so important. What is so frustrating is paying for a service (and that is what this is) only to be denied with no compensation. No matter how it is viewed, it is used car salesman tactic.

As far as “everyone does it” goes, that is a straw man argument and logical fallacy.

We usually book early get the early booking bonus, Club Orange and only book cabins with a balcony. I spend my mornings on my balcony with a room service breakfast and our evenings with a nice glass of wine on the balcony. We pay extra to book the cabins we want and see no reason why HAL has the right to move us without our permission. We also would never book a "Cave Class" inside cabin.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It’s been reported on the Cunard board that some staterooms have been taken offline in order to refit them with power supplies to accommodate power  chairs. Perhaps your stateroom is slated for such a refit as it is a larger room capable of handling them. 

For 6 months?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It’s been reported on the Cunard board that some staterooms have been taken offline in order to refit them with power supplies to accommodate power  chairs. Perhaps your stateroom is slated for such a refit as it is a larger room capable of handling them. 

I think the point is at least tell the customer the truth and offer them at least some sort of obc or upgrade would be the appropriate action.  Not sure doing some "power" upgrades six months away makes much sense?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The level of victim blaming on this board by the HAL apologists never ceases to amaze me.  It's quite simple:  the OP ordered and paid for a filet mignon.  HAL said they are out of filet mignon and offered him a ribeye.  Just because ribeye is delicious, it still isn't what the OP paid for.  And the fact that some are making that they are happy with a hamburger instead of a steak has absolutely nothing to do with the what the OP paid for.  Simple enough?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, dockman said:

I think the point is at least tell the customer the truth and offer them at least some sort of obc or upgrade would be the appropriate action.  Not sure doing some "power" upgrades six months away makes much sense?

It's possible that a renovation of the cabin would also change its designation to some form of accessible, in which case, OP would not be able to book it. Fair enough. BUT if that's the reason, why can't HAL just say so? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We usually book early get the early booking bonus, Club Orange and only book cabins with a balcony. I spend my mornings on my balcony with a room service breakfast and our evenings with a nice glass of wine on the balcony. We pay extra to book the cabins we want and see no reason why HAL has the right to move us without our permission. We also would never book a "Cave Class" inside cabin.

That's the troubling aspect, that they collect a premium to pick your own cabin and as far as I know do not say they will refund that premium if they move you.

• Like 10

I'm sure the person in customer service has no idea why the stateroom was taken out of inventory.  They are just people answering the phone and sticking to a script (except when they start making things up.)  I think it would be next to impossible to find out what really happened.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

But if they have scheduled it for that timeframe then it begins to make sense 

So what is stopping them from at least an apology and an offer of some sort of compensation or upgrade for disrupting the clients vacation plan....

• Like 4

6 hours ago, srsurman said:

The level of victim blaming on this board by the HAL apologists never ceases to amaze me.  It's quite simple:  the OP ordered and paid for a filet mignon.  HAL said they are out of filet mignon and offered him a ribeye.  Just because ribeye is delicious, it still isn't what the OP paid for.  And the fact that some are making that they are happy with a hamburger instead of a steak has absolutely nothing to do with the what the OP paid for.  Simple enough?

Quite so!

Seems to me that the 'loyalists' should just avoid the threads that offend their sensitivity? 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

For 6 months?

It might just be that they are scheduling work to be done in advance for that cruise. Have not heard any reports of the cabin being unavailable for 6 months. Only 1 cruise.

Since people seem to be upset at the notice before the cancellation date if work is being scheduled what are the other options.

1. give no notice until start of cruise

2. let them stay in room and do work while room is occupied

3. Do no work, even if it is necessary.

Will be interesting for someone to check on that cruise if the cabin is occupied or not during the actual cruise. Would also be interesting to note if any other cabins are taken out of inventory for that cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2024 at 8:07 PM, Windsailer said:

It wasn't accessible.  I never would have booked it if it were. I have V5050 booked for a cruise in 2026. Rather than have HAL do this again I am going to cancel.  There are other cruiselines. I'd rather sail on a cruise line that values its customers a bit more.

This is the best course of action now.  You had a problem and you reached out to HAL.  HAL's response was essentially we reserve the right to do it, we did it and now you can pound sand.  

The only true leverage we have as consumers is to speak with our dollars.  The bean counters at HAL won't do anything tangible with all the complaint letters nor the poor reviews and poor feedback that they collect.  It is only when bookings start to decrease and the revenue dollars decline that change will happen.

In the meantime, revel in the opportunity to try out new and different lines and other providers.  The grass may actually be a lot greener.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, dockman said:

So what is stopping them from at least an apology and an offer of some sort of compensation or upgrade for disrupting the clients vacation plan....

The fact that as far as can be told, they do not give their customer service agents the authority to offer such things to placate angry customers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, srsurman said:

The level of victim blaming on this board by the HAL apologists never ceases to amaze me. 

8 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Quite so!

Seems to me that the 'loyalists' should just avoid the threads that offend their sensitivity? 👍

Sharing of speculative thoughts, in an attempt to understand or make sense of a situation, should not be subject to online bullying and name-calling.  It is okay for others to have a different viewpoint. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2024 at 6:36 PM, ldtr1 said:

Actually the case for the guest entertainer was on a different line, Princess to be exact.

The other case i mentioned, the decision to take a few cabins out of inventory for work was also on a different line, Celebrity.

Just mentioned those in terms of cabins being removed from inventory (not affiliated woth a specific cruise)

Cruise lines different language the same.

Aren’t Princess and Holland America both owned by Carnival ?

3 hours ago, cbr663 said:

In the meantime, revel in the opportunity to try out new and different lines and other providers.  The grass may actually be a lot greener.  🙂

Completely agree. 

IMHO, the main strength of CC is that we can share the advice and experiences of those who have shopped widely. No cruise line or ship is right for everyone. Some are still looking for the better or right experience. Certainly, we should avoid the cruise lines who disrespect pax.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

It is okay for others to have a different viewpoint. 

Here's something we can agree on. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We also would never book a "Cave Class" inside cabin.

Is there really a need to belittle this option? It's a choice some of us like. I don't spend time in my cabin, I prefer to spend it somewhere where I can either have a wider view than just a limited slice of balcony, or where I can people watch while I read.

And I'd rather spend the $$ on a really good private tour of my choice.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I booked 3 cabins for a holiday with my family.  At final payment I noticed my extended balcony cabin was changed as were the other 2 cabins, WITHOUT NOTICE.  I called my PCC he said he was also unaware of the change. The cabins they gave us were on same deck, same category but not what I booked. I wrote to the CEO, with no results. If it wasn’t a family vacation I might have cancelled.  I am booked on another cruise, final payment is due at the end of the month. I keep checking and my extended balcony cabin that I booked is still mine.  BTW, these cruises were booked 9 months ago.

I have never experienced this in the 40 years I have been cruising. As a former TA, when a cruise line wanted to change a clients cabin I would be notified and I asked what is the compensation, which could have been a great upgrade or financial benefit.  Boy, things have changed and not for the better

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 10/18/2024 at 5:07 PM, Windsailer said:

It wasn't accessible.  I never would have booked it if it were. I have V5050 booked for a cruise in 2026. Rather than have HAL do this again I am going to cancel.  There are other cruiselines. I'd rather sail on a cruise line that values its customers a bit more.

Quite so.

The remodelling excuse does not stand up to scrutiny. These things are scheduled long in advance for a drydock. It certainly makes poor financial sense for last minute work that bumps paying pax during peak season; particularly suite pax. We know how HAL is trying to squeeze every last dollar out of the ships. 🙄

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Thanks 1