Best gift from travel agent?

Katiekakes

Our best gift are large onboard credits. We usually shop around (among several of our favorite cruise agencies) for the best "gift." Recently we scored a $1050 OBC from a favorite cruise agency when we offered to transfer a HAL booking (made aboard) to their agency. When we dine with other couples and they tell us of the wonderful bottle of Ripple Wine they got from their TA we just smile.

Hank

Our best gift are large onboard credits. We usually shop around (among several of our favorite cruise agencies) for the best "gift." Recently we scored a $1050 OBC from a favorite cruise agency when we offered to transfer a HAL booking (made aboard) to their agency. When we dine with other couples and they tell us of the wonderful bottle of Ripple Wine they got from their TA we just smile.

Hank

"Ripple" is a very apt description of that wine.

I have just completed three cruises and got absolutely nothing from travel agents.

I have completed well over 30 cruises and most times get nothing...on a very few ocassions I've gotten a bottle of wine, some obc, choc. covered strawberries, and once a Champagne Breakfast for two (but that was from my TA niece and I did all the work on that booking)

With that said, if we do get a perk it's always a surprise...unless they tell us upfront they are giving OBC. Truthfully, I am more itnerested in getting a great deal with a lower fare than the cruiseline offers....something I aways get!

Edited by suzyed

The TA ended up being a big online one that bid on my business through another site. He has been extremely responsive and I'd totally use him again even though he is on the opposite coast from me. As far as the coupon book, I had a coupon book in my room on our recent cruise that we never used so I wonder if it's the same thing. Now all we have to pay for is our excursions.

Trying to figure out how we are going to use that OBC since we have free gratuities. I wonder if we could book our excursions and then once we get on board have it credited back to our cc and then use the OBC for it...? With AIBP, gratuities, and all the amenities of a suite, I can't think of a thing we would need to buy on the ship.

If you book your excursions with Princess, pre-cruise, they will apply your onboard credit as payment.

• 3 months later...

I am a travel agent and I give gifts to my clients that book a certain dollar amount with me. It comes directly out of my commission. The client never knows this. But clients that book with me get a bottle of wine or chocolate covered strawberries if they don't drink, or even a gift certificate. The onboard credit is never a consideration when I gift to people because usually they are getting it as a promotion anyway. My repeat customers come to me because I give them good service, not because I gifted a bottle of wine or anything else. Most are pleasantly surprised and love the consideration. I give it as an appreciation for their business. Any good travel agent shows appreciation for their customers by providing good service. I don't think customers really realize just how hard a travel agent works for them. All the behind the scenes stuff that a travel agent does. My agency does not charge for these services either like some agencies do. Good service brings your customers back to you. A bottle of wine or other gift is simply my way of saying "thank you for your business".

• Like 1

We'll she rebates back everything save and except $50.00 per booking and she's the 3rd highest seller for Princess....she's NOT greedy and whether she books a 7 day Caribbean or 102 World Cruise it is the same effort for her...she passes along the commission to her clients.....

Honestly I have a hard time believing she kicks back all her commissions for every cruise you go on with her. How in the world does she stay in business? If what you say is true she is working for free! Nothing is free my friend.

• Like 1

I am a travel agent and I give gifts to my clients that book a certain dollar amount with me. It comes directly out of my commission. The client never knows this. But clients that book with me get a bottle of wine or chocolate covered strawberries if they don't drink, or even a gift certificate. The onboard credit is never a consideration when I gift to people because usually they are getting it as a promotion anyway.

As a cruiser - I can tell you I would prefer OBC. I don't want a cheap bottle of wine or chocolate covered strawberries that cost $8. I also don't want breakfast on my balcony or pictures. I would prefer OBC because what you think I may enjoy, I may not. Not everyone wants either wine or strawberries. I would prefer to spend the gift how I want. I am getting OBC as part of my next cruise but my excursions are already costing me $800 (more OBC than I am getting).

I am thankful that my agent discounts off the top of the price as her gift to me. So the savings is in my pocket to spend how I please.

I do understand that agents spend quite a bit of time on bookings. I am grateful for mine. I know she has worked extensively on some of my bookings and changed things a million times with out charging me extra. A good agent is worth their weight in gold. I have also paid it forward with my agent by referring my friends to her.

Honestly I have a hard time believing she kicks back all her commissions for every cruise you go on with her. How in the world does she stay in business? If what you say is true she is working for free! Nothing is free my friend.

My agent usually saves me easily 10% off of what Princess charges upfront off the cost of the cruise (not including taxes). She does quite well as her volume is amazing.

Edited by Coral

I don't think customers really realize just how hard a travel agent works for them. All the behind the scenes stuff that a travel agent does. My agency does not charge for these services either like some agencies do. Good service brings your customers back to you. .

1. Answer Phone Call

2. Looks up cruise price

3.Tells client the price, plus whatever perks.

4. If accepted.

5. Ask for:

Full Names, Birth Dates, Address, Phone Number, Dinner, Early, Late or Anytime Dining...Credit Card Info

6. Calls Cruiseline and makes the reservation, sends out confirmation's

So just how long does that take?

Jimbo:)

1. Answer Phone Call

2. Looks up cruise price

4. If accepted.

5. Ask for:

Full Names, Birth Dates, Address, Phone Number, Dinner, Early, Late or Anytime Dining...Credit Card Info

Not everything is that simple. A friend was flying to South America to catch a ship for a B2B the day an earthquake happened and closed the airport but the ship was still sailing. Most flights that were going to the next port went through the original airport that was closed. Complicated?

Not everything is that simple. A friend was flying to South America to catch a ship for a B2B the day an earthquake happened and closed the airport but the ship was still sailing. Most flights that were going to the next port went through the original airport that was closed. Complicated?

True but that doesn't happen everyday.

Clearly if the client already knows which cruise line, which cruise, which stateroom, the job is pretty straighforward, but what about the client who isnt sure about any of those, then the job becomes incredibly complicated

If that is the case pretty simple then, you ask them a few quick questions. Motion sickness, use the spa or not, like to be close to food or pool elevators...... Mobility issues.......what port they want to leave from, that narrows down the choices.

After a few quick answers you recommend a cabin in the category they are booking.

Takes about 5 minutes to know where to a reserve a cabin at. If they have never cruised before they will be happy with your selection because you have the experince.

The best gift I ever got was when I was using an online "agent". It was getting close to sailing and I always contact the agent with last minute details to make sure all "I's" are dotted and "T's" are crossed. Didn't hear from them for a few days. Contacted them again by email. A few more days go by and I get a "reply" from an interoffice thread from one agent to another, telling the second "agent" to take care of me as I am "harassing" her. What!? Now I just book through the line, any question I call myself or if any problems (hopefully not) arise, I can call myself and ask for a supervisor and get the results first hand, without going through someone else who may be "too busy" to handle calls. No more third party agents for me.

I've used two large online UK-based travel agents before, not gotten any unexpected perks from them, I suppose that sort of thing is more likely with smaller, bricks and mortar TAs.

Edited by Nivarka

1. Answer Phone Call

2. Looks up cruise price

4. If accepted.

5. Ask for:

That may be a Shopper call , not needing any Qualifying , has done the research and just wants "our" price.

That being so , the time before Step 3 and Step 4 can be Days .

Step 6 is more often done using their automated booking system , rather than a phone call

(leaves the line idle for the next potential reservation)

A more common booking results after several calls , especially if it is not the decision maker on the call.

Then may come more calls before sailing , with changes , questions , tracking payments and the dreaded cancelation .

Did this TA thing for 17+ Years , Your Reservation example rarely if ever goes that smooth.

If it was that smooth , I'd still be doing it .

THe best gift I've received from my travel agent is her expertise and experience. She's booked MANY cruises for me on other lines. I called one day and asked, "What do you think about Princess?" She gave me an unvarnished response naming ships, etc. and also naming another agent in the office who had a different opinion of the same cruise.

Posters above are totally right that if everything goes smoothly, booking a cruise for me is not a lot of work. However, I can generate a lot of work when I can't manage to do an on line check in for an international flight (the domestic portion would check in but the international would not). I called their office, they tried and then talked with the airline, etc. Fast forward to the next day. I went to my local airport and flew to Ohare. There, I was informed that because I had not done the on line check in, I was first on the list to be bumped from the flight! Quick cell phone call to TA who advised me of my rights and also phoned the airline. No, missing the flight wouldn't have been the end of the world; I allowed an extra day. But my plans went as scheduled.

The time I arrived at the airport for my first Princess cruise and was advised that the ship's departure would be delayed and we were being asked to wait at the airport for an hour before heading to the port....arrived at the port via Princess transportation only to be delayed until evening when we were ultimately sent to a hotel, my TA sent us several e-mails and called at least once to be sure we were OK and had the info that she'd received from Princess. She even sent a list of nearby food places who would deliver (OK, she didn't know that the police were not allowing any cars to enter the terminal area).

When my daughter was seriously ill in Greece, she worked with the insurance company to locate an English speaking, medical school affiliated facility.

This kind of service means more to me than a gift in my stateroom. I do get an OBC on most cruises, but the service means more than the OBC.

Hank

Sure you are not sacrificing a lower fare for OBC?

THe best gift I've received from my travel agent is her expertise and experience. She's booked MANY cruises for me on other lines.

I would agree. That is why I still use a real agent and not an order taker or a website.

Sure you are not sacrificing a lower fare for OBC?

With more than forty years of extensive cruise experience we are not that naive :). We ultimately value everything based on its real value (to us) and do a calculation that breaks it all down to "cost per passenger day." Such a calculation (which takes me less than a minute) allows us to compare any cruise or category with another. Cost per passenger day.

For example, to us a drink package on Celebrity is worth about $35 per passenger day....not the value attached by the cruise line. Cruise lines now try to make it difficult for customers to compare prices (because of all the promotions, options, OBCs, etc) but its easy to do when you give each item the appropriate value (what its really worth to you) and then divide by total cruise days.

But as I (and others have said), a good deal will generally mean you are paying 7-10% less (per passenger day) then the price you would get if booking direct with a cruise line. On a long expensive cruise (which is a lot of our cruises) our savings can easily be in the thousands of dollars. On a 7 day cruises the percentage savings can be the same...but of course the cash savings are much lower.

Hank