Best gift from travel agent?

Katiekakes

One TA (not my normal one) provided free bus service from Sacramento to SF and handled the baggage as well. Also gave daily gifts onboard for the 17 days of the cruise. Gifts ranged from a bottle of wine (each) to things like luggage straps, the book Path Between the Seas (Panama Canal cruise), decks of cards, salt water taffy, etc. Not snazzy but appreciated and the bus ride saved us 17 days parking fee in SF which really adds up.

Regular TA is a small, local outfit. Gives excellent service such as immediately returning calls even though it is late in the evening and he happens to be on the other side of the country at the time where it is even later. Instant notification of any changes or upgrade/upsell possibilities. Because he is not a large agency he was only able to offer me 8% off of my fare but that is a saving of $900 up front. Excellent service plus a nice discount on the fare = happy cruiser.

One TA (not my normal one) provided free bus service from Sacramento to SF and handled the baggage as well. Also gave daily gifts onboard for the 17 days of the cruise. Gifts ranged from a bottle of wine (each) to things like luggage straps, the book Path Between the Seas (Panama Canal cruise), decks of cards, salt water taffy, etc. Not snazzy but appreciated and the bus ride saved us 17 days parking fee in SF which really adds up.

Regular TA is a small, local outfit. Gives excellent service such as immediately returning calls even though it is late in the evening and he happens to be on the other side of the country at the time where it is even later. Instant notification of any changes or upgrade/upsell possibilities. Because he is not a large agency he was only able to offer me 8% off of my fare but that is a saving of $900 up front. Excellent service plus a nice discount on the fare = happy cruiser.

I am familiar with that TA......

Believe me with that TA you are paying for all the extras one way or the other.

Just give me a straight 8% to15% discount like we get now and keep the gimmicks.

My agent for first cruise gave us nothing......then he left and handed us over to another agent at same company.......she gave us plenty......of mistakes........one after another, and we haven't even cruised yet.......then she left and didn't tell us, and didn't pass us on to another agent, I only found out when I wanted to double check amount paid so far for the trip.........so I have no idea if there will be any gift or OBC from the company. It would be a nice surprise, but I'm not holding my breath - I may not survive! LOL!

The fare I pay using my TA is the same one quoted by Princess for a direct booking. My wife and I have received various gifts from this agent. The gifts have varied from $75 OBC, 2 bottles of wine, 2 Specialty Restaurant dinners, 2 Spa massages, and the All Inclusive Beverage Package for both my wife and myself for two 12-day cruises. She has also paid for a private cocktail party aboard ship for a group of us on a reunion cruise for my Navy shipmates and families.

I have learned that TA's get a discount when they purchase these gifts for their clients.

how do you expect your travel agent to stay in business if she rebates all of the comission?

Bill

I don't expect her to rebate all of her commission but I do expect some rebate. It's like buying a car. I do expect the dealership to sell the car at much less than sticker price.

My wife and I just booked our next cruise for February 2018. The cruise line included one free perk of our choice and we decided we would take the classic drink package. Then we were pleasantly surprised that the travel agent gifted us $50 onboard credit and payed for our gratuities (14 night cruise). This is our 3rd cruise booked through them and have received some sort of gift each time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My TA rates are good. Some time we get OBC. But the best thing is her great service. She really looks out for us.

Like I posted above, I love her service. I really don't expect much back in OBC or perks. Why? Well our Dec. seven night cruse in a BV cabin on Regal before taxes is $808. PP She doesn't own the agency, so her boss has to be paid too. Princess also has to be paid, and she need to be paid too. Now, if I were booking a expensive cabin, then , yes, I would like to get more perks from her.

But the one thing that I all was get from her is great service. She is worth her weight in gold.

Like I posted above, I love her service. I really don't expect much back in OBC or perks. Why? Well our Dec. seven night cruse in a BV cabin on Regal before taxes is $808. PP She doesn't own the agency, so her boss has to be paid too. Princess also has to be paid, and she need to be paid too. Now, if I were booking a expensive cabin, then , yes, I would like to get more perks from her.

But the one thing that I all was get from her is great service. She is worth her weight in gold.

Can you elaborate on the type of service you receive? I'm not very familiar with TA's and not sure what all they provide other than discounts/obc.

I did use one once but didn't realize that was what I was doing until I tried contacting the cruise line directly instead of the agency I booked through and learned that everything had to be done through the booking agent. We did receive a small amount of obc and nasty tasting champagne, but I prefer being able to make changes directly versus going through an extra person and the delays and potential miscommunication that can occur.

Our next cruise I tried using our local office (instead of the one assigned on-line which was several hours away), but I had much better info than she did and her process would have cost us a lot more money.

Am I missing something?

Edited by pacruise804
remove wall of text/easier reading

What you might be missing is the fact that some TAs are nothing more than order takers. If you have a question a few months after booking your original TA might no longer work there. Other TAs are great if you have an issue. They are genuinely happy to resolve any issue you might have. Sounds like that particular poster at one point had an issue that the TA helped clear up.

I have never had any major issue so going with a TA that discounts is what makes me happy. I feel if I did have an issue she would be glad to try and help as she is a top selling Princess TA.

Can you elaborate on the type of service you receive? I'm not very familiar with TA's and not sure what all they provide other than discounts/obc.

I did use one once but didn't realize that was what I was doing until I tried contacting the cruise line directly instead of the agency I booked through and learned that everything had to be done through the booking agent. We did receive a small amount of obc and nasty tasting champagne, but I prefer being able to make changes directly versus going through an extra person and the delays and potential miscommunication that can occur.

Our next cruise I tried using our local office (instead of the one assigned on-line which was several hours away), but I had much better info than she did and her process would have cost us a lot more money.

Am I missing something?

My TA will book my cruise and then give us price drops if they happen. I have gotten price drop even after final payment has been made. She has also changed cabins for us.

We are going on a X cruise 9/24. That cruise alone she has change cabin location with in the same category. Gotten us a better deal after we booked with her. That was about four weeks after booking the rate changed and we did have some perks with it. Under her advice she had us give up the perks (which valued $497. ) and instead we received a $700. discount in fare. About a week ago there was a drop in price in Aqua Class balcony cabin. I call her, she told me that the up grade would be $50.PP and she would now give us $100 OBC because of the aqua class cabin. Therefore, it cost us nothing to upgrade five week before the cruise..

Once we were traveling with some friends and one of their friend. We all booked through my TA. The fried of the friend got sick and had to put into the hospital on the island of Dominica. We called her for the ship and she helpped us from then. She was intouch with the ship, the main office of the cruise line, the hospital and us. (shorter virson of the story)

We were on a Princess cruise with my sister in law and her husband back home became very ill. We were in St Thomas. We call her and once again she helpped us out. She got in contect with the cruise line, the ship and got her a flight home that morining.

Yes, we could have done this ourselves, but it sure helps haveing some one to help.

We have had to cancle a cruise ro two also. She did that for us and gave us the ins. form and then checked them over and mail them for us.

Just love her and her service.

I could go on and on about her service.

My TA will book my cruise and then give us price drops if they happen. I have gotten price drop even after final payment has been made. She has also changed cabins for us.

We are going on a X cruise 9/24. That cruise alone she has change cabin location with in the same category. Gotten us a better deal after we booked with her. That was about four weeks after booking the rate changed and we did have some perks with it. Under her advice she had us give up the perks (which valued $497. ) and instead we received a $700. discount in fare. About a week ago there was a drop in price in Aqua Class balcony cabin. I call her, she told me that the up grade would be $50.PP and she would now give us $100 OBC because of the aqua class cabin. Therefore, it cost us nothing to upgrade five week before the cruise..

Once we were traveling with some friends and one of their friend. We all booked through my TA. The fried of the friend got sick and had to put into the hospital on the island of Dominica. We called her for the ship and she helpped us from then. She was intouch with the ship, the main office of the cruise line, the hospital and us. (shorter virson of the story)

We were on a Princess cruise with my sister in law and her husband back home became very ill. We were in St Thomas. We call her and once again she helpped us out. She got in contect with the cruise line, the ship and got her a flight home that morining.

Yes, we could have done this ourselves, but it sure helps haveing some one to help.

We have had to cancle a cruise ro two also. She did that for us and gave us the ins. form and then checked them over and mail them for us.

Just love her and her service.

I could go on and on about her service.

That does sound like awesome service, I hope your friends and family are all healthy now. Thank you for the examples, I guess I need to ask around on our next cruises about who people use - I can't imagine the group I used before giving that level of service - they were more the order taker type previously mentioned.

ETA: Did the agent find the price drops for you, or did you search them and then request the changes? Thanks again!

Edited by pacruise804
additional question

That does sound like awesome service, I hope your friends and family are all healthy now. Thank you for the examples, I guess I need to ask around on our next cruises about who people use - I can't imagine the group I used before giving that level of service - they were more the order taker type previously mentioned.

ETA: Did the agent find the price drops for you, or did you search them and then request the changes? Thanks again!

At time she will see it and others I will find it. But there are times when I find it only to tell her and get a better deal than I even found for us.

We have been cruising for twenty years and burned through three travel agents during that time. The problems ranged from not returning calls, having the wrong names on documents, booking a flight to Orlando when we sailed from Miami (back when TA's booked flights) to having the travel agent move to another location in the same town and not notifying UPS which returned the documents to the cruise line. We literally had to show up on the pier with no documents whatsoever.

For the past ten years we have had the best TA. She always gets us a better rate than we could booking on-line and we always get a little something from her (champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, OBC, etc.)

For many years me darling wife and I would stroll past the specialty restaurants after dinner in the MDR and ask ourselves why folks would spend the additional dollars. This all changed when our travel agent comped us a dinner for two at the steak house. It was the best comp ever. Of course now we always go to specialty restaurants on each cruise and pay for it ourselves!:D

• 2 months later...

All I ask for is great service and rates. I expect, nor want, anything else. I'd rather see it go there than miscellaneous frills I might not even want when I arrive on board. Anything the TA or agency is spending on that is coming out of somewhere else as they still need to make a profit and pay their expenses.

What is the best gift you have gotten from your travel agent for booking with them? We booked our last February cruise online with an independent agent, which I won't mention, and we got a $200 onboard credit, nice bottle of champagne in our room, and a $20 gift certificate for photos onboard. We were very impressed. We knew about the onboard credit, but were nicely surprised with the champagne and gift certificate. We are cruising next March and have booked through a regular travel agent this time, and she is saying that they usually do not give any kind of gift for booking with them. She said she would work on it. I was thinking that it was really nice to get a few freebies. What have you gotten that is worth writing about???

Really good service.

DON