Lobster night

I love lobster but to be honest I struggle to choke down one of what royal calls lobster. Its probably the most disgusting excuse for seafood Ive ever stuck a fork into.

Edited by snownyet

This is a funny thread for me because I moved to Scandinavia last year and have made friends from all over the world. One afternoon at the beach, my French friend said, "can I ask you something about the US?" And I figured he was going to ask me about the infamous Freedom Fries and Freedom Toast or something similar, but nope! He wanted to know if most places in the US really had "all you can drink" soda.

Then he wanted to know if most people had more than one, how big the cups were, and why anyone would want to drink that much soda...lol! I can only imagine what he'd be thinking about someone ordering 12 lobster tails...

Edited by Girl_from_Ipanema

I love lobster but to be honest I struggle to choke down one of what royal calls lobster. Its probably the most disgusting excuse for seafood Ive ever stuck a fork into.
I totally agree, I love lobster but can't handle what they serve on ships. Then they insult you with that orange oil they call melted butter. Gross:eek:

We asked for one extra lobster tail with our meal and the waiter brought us a whole meal again, 3 plates on our small table, it was a little embarrassing. We didnt want the whole meal just the lobster tail, he said that was how it comes :rolleyes:

Wow The P is being called tacky cause he wants to know if he can eat more Lobster if he wants!! This person paid his own fare and if wishes to enjoy his cruise the best way he can who are we to call him tacky?? I dont think that men should wear church sock pulled up to their knees with sneakers(tennis shoes) on or wear socks with sandals, I also cant see why some woman have to put make up on just to sit in the sun and lets not even discuss those that wear 2 piece bathing suits know dog gone well they should be wearing a 1 piece!! But I would never go as far as calling these people out ad "Tacky" They spent their money for their preffrence no one appoint us the Tacky police, let him eat his Lobster!! Hey OP I dont even eat Lobster like that but you can join my table and I will join you and we'll be tacky together!! :p

I agree and applaud you for standing up for OP! Someone posted a question, answer it if you know and skip through it if you don't. No need to make unnecessary comments.

To answer OP's question, when I was on a Carnival Cruise my FIL ordered double entree every night since he wanted to try everything. The waiter was fine with it but the dinner did take 2+ hours to finish since we have to wait for his entree and him to be done. I have heard somewhere in RCCL's specialty restaurant you cannot order all you want or they might charge you if you wanted extra.

Hope this helps

I totally agree, I love lobster but can't handle what they serve on ships. Then they insult you with that orange oil they call melted butter. Gross:eek:

Totally agree! Sometimes I think they just dump out a bottle of Wesson oil into the little cups, maybe add a little salt, and heat it up! It's definitely not butter! :D

We asked for one extra lobster tail with our meal and the waiter brought us a whole meal again, 3 plates on our small table, it was a little embarrassing. We didnt want the whole meal just the lobster tail, he said that was how it comes :rolleyes:

This happened to me once. But not on other cruises. It's either the head chef's rule or the waiter made it up.

I also order the "surf and turf" :) My waiter didn't understand it, so I had to tell him that I wanted the steak AND the lobster tail, but to just bring the tail, not the whole plate of food. Was done correctly.

On my Alaska cruise, I told the waiter that I would want more than one tail and he just kept bringing them out as soon as I finished one. We were sitting fairly close to the kitchen, so he probably had them lined up by the doorway and kept watching me. As soon as I put my fork down, he would slip the new plate of tail in front of me. It was a riot. I had to tell him: STOP:eek: Lots of laughs all around.

• 6 years later...
Just of the TA on Rhapsody. No lobster on the 14 night cruise in the MDR. However, we missed Cocoquay due to weather and the buffet had bottomless grilled lobster for 2 nights.

This thread has to be a record setting Resurrection!

To be honest with you, I really don't find the lobster that tasty!! We've been on 2 cruises and both times I was disappointed in what they called lobster tails!

That’s because it’s warm water lobster vs cold water lobster like we have in New England. I can’t recall the last time we made it to MDR for lobster night or seafood place whatever they call it now.

Just off the 11/25 Anthem sailing, heard the waiter tell the couple next to us “only one lobster tail, shortage of them” this was 6:00. My husband ordered one & it was so small, only about 3 small bites. How could there be a shortage at 6:00, I could see if it were later in the evening. Anyway lobster wasn’t that good.

OK ... long reply .....

Just off OASIS last Sunday

I can see them 'rationing' lobster at early dining as they surely don't want to tell late diners they ran out ..... we had late traditional dining, so just about the last folks to eat. There was NO lobster shortage for us .....

I had lobster and the portion was not huge .... DW had prime rib and her meat looked very nice. So under the "you can order more than one thing" theory I asked our server to bring me a slice of the beef. Curiously this threw the entire serving team into a tizzy .... 'do you want the entire meal or just the meat?' .... 'meat and sauce?' .... eventually a plate with a nice slice of prime rib and some sauce/au ju appeared and I was happy. But I was left with the impression THEY thought I'd broken the rules. BTW I've well over 50 cruises under my belt .. this should not have been a big deal. BUT FUNNY THING WAS, looking a few tables down I could see their server arriving at the table with a platter HEAPED with lobster tails and encouraging everyone to take two!!!!!

Make of this what you will ..... HECK, I was surprised to see lobster on a cruise as it was gone IME for some time.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Our cruise in August, everyone who ordered lobster, got two tails to start. Waiter had double full plates for each person, and just pulled tail off one and put it with the other one, and served the plate. He then came by with MORE tails, and each person got a 3rd tail. All without asking.

I did the prime rib and lobster tail, surf and turf, and got two full plates with sides. And a second tail showed up.

Our cruise in August, everyone who ordered lobster, got two tails to start. Waiter had double full plates for each person, and just pulled tail off one and put it with the other one, and served the plate. He then came by with MORE tails, and each person got a 3rd tail. All without asking.

I did the prime rib and lobster tail, surf and turf, and got two full plates with sides. And a second tail showed up.

Was this in the main dining room or one of the specialty restaurants? Was it on a formal night?

If you go to a specialty restaurant (or even the Solarium Bistro on Oasis) on lobster night, is it possible to get lobster there also?

Chops and the MDR have Maine lobster on the menu for an extra charge.

We have had no problems in getting the free lobster tails in the specialty restaurants on the second formal night. I stop by the restaurant that afternoon and let them know of my request. We also request the key lime pie for dessert on the last night in the specialty restaurants.