Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

You have been very fortunate. Rare is the business owner or anyone who deals with the public who has never had to decide if a certain customer is worth the effort.

Oh, I have certainly been in that position. I just have never taken the attitude that it doesn't matter as there will be a replacement. Sometimes my mental well being is worth the loss. :)

I truly do understand this point. Many Diamonds use the lounge to meet other people. But, folks also make it sound like the loss of the lounge will in some way cut off this opportunity. On a ship with 3000 people there are opportunities all day long to meet people. My mother loves the Cafe Promenade. That is her social venue. She sits there with a coffee and strikes up conversations with people all the time. I've met folks just by saying something to them as I walk through the Logo shop. I've met folks just because they were on the chair next to me at the pool. Examples could go on an on.

Again, I understand that there are social aspects of this lounge and it isn't all about the drinks. But it isn't like the options are the CL or being confined to one's cabin and balcony. Social opportunities are available all over the ship any time of the day and night. Yes, a venue is being lost. But does that mean what was being obtained in that venue can't somehow be accomadated somewhere else on the ship? I ask that question in all seriousness as I have never been in a CL and may be missing something here. You also mention not wanting to limit these meeting opportunities to D Plus and suite passengers. Does that mean that platinum and gold members are not worth meeting? How about people on their first cruise with no C&A status?

Maybe if I had the opportunity in the past to experience the CL I would have a better perspective on this issue. I really am trying to understand it.

I am a diamond member losing their "status." We have frequented the diamond/concierge lounge mainly before dinner for a glass of wine and to socialize; on our last cruise less than 2 weeks ago it was nice to meet the same people each evening and ask how their day was, in addition to meeting our tablemates and then stroll on down to dinner.

Totally agree that you can meet people all day long, however, the lounge was a place where AS A COUPLE we could meet people - not just myself by the pool, or hubby in the gym, promenade deck, etc.

Also, something I haven't heard mentioned, and I have been reading these posts pretty frequently, the diamond/concierge lounge was non-smoking. This is very important to a lot of people. I realize that some of the bars are now non-smoking; but not all. On the Jewel a few weeks ago cigarette smoke, other then the centrum lounges and schooner lounge was pretty heavy. Can't remember the name, but the large lounge where many events are held, dancing, quest, captain's party, etc. is billed as nonsmoking, except at the bar area - and we all know how smoke travels.

Also, we tried on several occasions to meet a group of around 10 people in the schooner lounge for a drink before or after dinner and found the tables to be full.

The diamond lounge in the Odyssy was never full - sometimes crowded - but still very comfortable, and again definitely nonsmoking. The concierge lounge was often full - I think because of the configuration - not much room in the evening, but during the day very pleasant.

Finally, though, I do wish to thank you for the enhanced benefits such as the New Ultimate Value Booklet, which yet remains to be seen as a value (better to be labeled as a discount booklet), (a free cocktail rather than just a beer would be nice); the upgraded wine tasting event,("at a special price"?) and of course the "New Special Event" for Diamond level and above members. On past cruises there were two special events. One a Welcome Back event for all Crown & Anchor Society members (Gold and above) and a second for Platinum and above Society members. Will there still be two, with the Platinum members attending only the Welcome Back event? Seems to be a logical step considering your other decisions. Why should only the lowly Diamonds suffer?

Just wanted to point out that this 'new special event' is less than we have had in the past. As of 7/1, there will be a combined 'welcome back/captains party' with drinks available for PURCHASE. So the old Welcome Back party and the Captains Party that both had free cocktails are now gone.

So this new special event just gave us one with free cocktails and we lost two.:eek:

I just became a diamond member in January and I too am very upset about the loss of the CL lounge. The best perk that Royal offered has now been taken away. :mad:

My mother loves the Cafe Promenade. That is her social venue. She sits there with a coffee and strikes up conversations with people all the time. quote]

--------------------------------------------

-----------------

My mother also loves the Cafe Promenade - just like being in Paris and sitting on the Boulevards - well, perhaps not quite!!!:D:D. I personally am not that keen!!

Just to say that the CL is DEFINITELY a big loss to the Diamond members who have used it. The old saying is 'what you don't know you won't miss' - unfortunately, Diamonds WILL miss it!!

RCCL did have quite a few options, but chose none of them. As I said, I don't think they will lose much business and many will return after sampling other lines!! Many would have gone with the other lines anyway, for financial reasons!!

Its a shame that they have upset some good customers, but this was inevitable - one can only hope that they have crunched the numbers properly.

The most interesting part is that most Diamond cruisers (those on here are a v. small percentage) will not be aware of the new ruling before they board after July 1st!! Some people will be very displeased - but an extra party and lots of apologies, combined with a pleasant cruise, will assuage the irritation felt by most.

However, if the pressure from here succeeds - well, good luck to all of you. There, but for the grace of God, goes I!! We have just scraped into Plussers!!!

However, in all honesty, I have to say how much more pleasant the CL was during the 4 days before the Diamonds were admitted. It then became a Zoo!! However, one particular 'gentleman' on here, who "always has a suite" and objects to any C&A member using it, just strikes me as the type of person WE don't want to meet in there!!:D:D

Very nice letter. I sent one Thanking them for eliminating the over crowding and recognizing that Diamond status is to easy to reach how I'll enjoy the lounge more now. I got a personal thank you back from Adam Goldstein.

Not everyone is opposed to the changes.

Very nice letter. I sent one Thanking them for eliminating the over crowding and recognizing that Diamond status is to easy to reach how I'll enjoy the lounge more now. I got a personal thank you back from Adam Goldstein.

Not everyone is opposed to the changes.

Like everything else it all depends on where your coming from - not everyone is opposed to the changes but most people are

Many Diamonds use the lounge to meet other people. But, folks also make it sound like the loss of the lounge will in some way cut off this opportunity. On a ship with 3000 people there are opportunities all day long to meet people. My mother loves the Cafe Promenade. That is her social venue. She sits there with a coffee and strikes up conversations with people all the time. I've met folks just by saying something to them as I walk through the Logo shop. I've met folks just because they were on the chair next to me at the pool. Examples could go on an on.

Again, I understand that there are social aspects of this lounge and it isn't all about the drinks. But it isn't like the options are the CL or being confined to one's cabin and balcony. Social opportunities are available all over the ship any time of the day and night. Yes, a venue is being lost. But does that mean what was being obtained in that venue can't somehow be accomadated somewhere else on the ship? You also mention not wanting to limit these meeting opportunities to D Plus and suite passengers. Does that mean that platinum and gold members are not worth meeting? How about people on their first cruise with no C&A status?

Excellent post!!

Many diamonds have mentioned how much they like the atmosphere and treatment they get in the CL, how special it makes them feel, they don't get that anywhere else in the ship where there are "regular" cruisers, they get to be with only the most seasoned cruisers in a private lounge, they don't have to wait in lines for tickets or excursions ... I wonder how many have posted elsewhere against roping off seats by the pool because it separates the "classes" of cruisers??:D

Believe me, if we ever decide to spring for a suite, we'll be sitting in those deck chairs!! In the meantime, we'll be slowly climbing through the ranks of C&A rewards ... probably traveling with other cruise lines from time to time, and still taking our land vacations as well!:)

OK.........I work 24/7! That is 24 hours per week, 7 months a year!:D I believe one could call that semi-retired.:)

Our longest cruise was 47 days, and we have had some on the Monarch 3/4 night...........but you are probably right, that the average cruise is not quite 9 days.

We have done TA's including b2b TA/Baltics. We have also done some 7 night b2b.

I have not figured out the exact number of days at sea, but somewhere over 1-1/2 years spent at sea.

Rick

WOW!!! I am so jealous!:D:D

Do you live near a cruise port, or have you worked up an insane amount of frequent flier miles?

I would love to do that, but since my husband HATES to fly (and the only place we can cruise to from here without flying is Alaska!) once or twice a year is about all we can manage. The year he retired we did three cruises, but all that flying was more than he EVER wants to do again (one of them was a TA, and the return flight was horrific!)

You Diamonds are treated so much better than us lowly Platinums.;):D:D

We are only gold but found that the only platinum perk we could use would be the robes in our room. Now it makes no sence to try for diamond, so we switched to ccl and we get robes anyway. And saved a little over $800.00.

Excellent post!!

Many diamonds have mentioned how much they like the atmosphere and treatment they get in the CL, how special it makes them feel, they don't get that anywhere else in the ship where there are "regular" cruisers, they get to be with only the most seasoned cruisers in a private lounge, they don't have to wait in lines for tickets or excursions ... I wonder how many have posted elsewhere against roping off seats by the pool because it separates the "classes" of cruisers??:D

Believe me, if we ever decide to spring for a suite, we'll be sitting in those deck chairs!! In the meantime, we'll be slowly climbing through the ranks of C&A rewards ... probably traveling with other cruise lines from time to time, and still taking our land vacations as well!:)

You bring up about sitting in the suite section of deck chairs - we never book anything higher than a balcony, but if it were me, the last thing I would want in these current economic times is a section of seating that would distinguish me as an excessive spender. I would feel embarassed. Even at home I don't like to discuss the number of cruises/vacations we take when we have neighbors that heve lost their jobs. Am I the only one that feels like that?

WOW!!! I am so jealous!:D:D

Do you live near a cruise port' date=' or have you worked up an insane amount of frequent flier miles?

I would love to do that, but since my husband HATES to fly (and the only place we can cruise to from here without flying is Alaska!) once or twice a year is about all we can manage. The year he retired we did three cruises, but all that flying was more than he EVER wants to do again (one of them was a TA, and the return flight was horrific!)[/quote']

No.........actually........I think that my heading shows that we live in Scottsdale, AZ. I was born and raised in Seattle, Wa.....and I see that you are also from the State of Washington.

Last year was the first in many years that we lost our flying status, as we logged in just over 22,000 miles..........and 25,000 miles is the lowest grade to qualify.

We have friends that live in San Diego............they also will not fly. So if they are doing a full transit Panama Canal trip......they have to come back on a cruise ship. As with you, it limits them to mostly Pacific runs.

I was going to get into a discussion of the difference between airline elite status and cruising status..........but that would not be fair!!

ie.........if you didn't cruise at all for a year...........your would lose all status with the cruise line! Not fair, so won't even go there!!:D

Rick

My mother loves the Cafe Promenade. That is her social venue. She sits there with a coffee and strikes up conversations with people all the time. quote]

--------------------------------------------

-----------------

My mother also loves the Cafe Promenade - just like being in Paris and sitting on the Boulevards - well, perhaps not quite!!!:D:D. I personally am not that keen!!

Just to say that the CL is DEFINITELY a big loss to the Diamond members who have used it. The old saying is 'what you don't know you won't miss' - unfortunately, Diamonds WILL miss it!!

RCCL did have quite a few options, but chose none of them. As I said, I don't think they will lose much business and many will return after sampling other lines!! Many would have gone with the other lines anyway, for financial reasons!!

Its a shame that they have upset some good customers, but this was inevitable - one can only hope that they have crunched the numbers properly.

The most interesting part is that most Diamond cruisers (those on here are a v. small percentage) will not be aware of the new ruling before they board after July 1st!! Some people will be very displeased - but an extra party and lots of apologies, combined with a pleasant cruise, will assuage the irritation felt by most.

However, if the pressure from here succeeds - well, good luck to all of you. There, but for the grace of God, goes I!! We have just scraped into Plussers!!!

However, in all honesty, I have to say how much more pleasant the CL was during the 4 days before the Diamonds were admitted. It then became a Zoo!! However, one particular 'gentleman' on here, who "always has a suite" and objects to any C&A member using it, just strikes me as the type of person WE don't want to meet in there!!:D:D

That guy is on other boards bragging how he is stirring the pot here.

Last year was the first in many years that we lost our flying status, as we logged in just over 22,000 miles..........and 25,000 miles is the lowest grade to qualify.

ie.........if you didn't cruise at all for a year...........your would lose all status with the cruise line! Not fair, so won't even go there!!:D

Rick

LOL - DH used to fly all the time and had racked up over 1,000,000 miles on his frequent flier account. But, it only takes one job change and one year to go from Presidents club to middle seat back row. :eek:

We are only gold but found that the only platinum perk we could use would be the robes in our room. Now it makes no sence to try for diamond, so we switched to ccl and we get robes anyway. And saved a little over $800.00.

But in return for a robe and $800.00 you got one of those CCL ships!:eek::eek::D.......... just kidding.:D

LOL - DH used to fly all the time and had racked up over 1,000,000 miles on his frequent flier account. But, it only takes one job change and one year to go from Presidents club to middle seat back row. :eek:

Stay the heck out of my seat!:mad::D

Suzanne,

I am sure there are people that do that. But showing your seapass card when you order your first drink the first time you come in alleviates that problem immediately. If it doesn't say Suite, Diamond or Diamond plus then you should be discreetly asked to leave. Everyone has a seapass card that they carry with them at all times on the ship. It really is pretty simple. The Concierge (at least in our experience) has always checked out who we are (names & cabin numbers) introduced themselves and asked us our needs. To show them our seapass card in addition to that would not be insulting to anyone.

If you are a regular those bartenders and the concierge know who you are after the first night. They are EXCELLENTLY trained in that area. I am not offended by having to show my seapass card. Why should Diamonds be punished because RCI doesn't enforce their own rules? If people KNOW they are going to have to show their seapass card the first time, they won't bring anyone else in as it would be embarrassing.

Sometimes I think RCI brings many of these problems upon themselves by not being consistent in enforcing their own rules. Being a mother and now a grandmother I have to tell you that parenting 101 tells you to be CONSISTENT in enforcing the rules or you will end up with an unruly child.

The same can be said of the pool chair hogs. If RCI enforced their own rules consistently we wouldn't be dealing with the unseemly sight of roped off areas for pool seats on a mass market cruise line.

No one can say there are not also suite guests that bring in family and friends not staying in suites into the CL. It is not...Diamonds are bad..Suite guests are good. Many of us are often one in the same.

Colleen

I've always found the most crowded night is the first night. I believe the concierge and his assistants do an excellent job at weeding out the party crashers - eventually. Maybe stricter controls could have alleviated the problem. That also depends on whether RCI is being truthful that capacity is the issue.

It's got to be hard for them to tell those that he is depending on receiving tips from that they aren't permitted to have guests. I once had words with a woman in the DL that was going to do an upcoming 46 nighter that was bringing 8 members of her family and fully expected to get them CL service. I said I thought that wasn't permissable and she said they always do it and would stop cruising if they could not bring their guests with them to the lounge and she was serious! Unbelievable.

You bring up about sitting in the suite section of deck chairs - we never book anything higher than a balcony, but if it were me, the last thing I would want in these current economic times is a section of seating that would distinguish me as an excessive spender. I would feel embarassed. Even at home I don't like to discuss the number of cruises/vacations we take when we have neighbors that heve lost their jobs. Am I the only one that feels like that?

Why would I feel embarassed? It is great! Who wouldn't love not having to worry with the "Hogs"! I am very grateful to RCL for the new Suite Perks, as well as the C&A changes and have sent letters informing them of my appreciation.

It is quite a shame that after attaining Diamond status in just 20 months time, Royal Caribbean does not even have the decency to contact me regarding my disgust expressed to them via email on the cuts in the Diamond program. Oh well. Since then I have canceled two trips with Royal and even reduced my cost of my sailing in Europe next summer by surrendering a Royal Family suite which would have cost 8600 dollars to a Balcony and Inside room which will cost about 4600 hundred dollars. I figure if Royal Caribbean needs to cut costs then I need to cut drastically the money I spend on Royal Caribbean. Maybe that will help alleviate further the "Concierge Club Overcrowding". BTW, we have sailed Regent Seven Seas instead recently and it is wonderful. We are booked on Norwegian in the fall. It was nice of Royal Caribbean to force me to try other lines. Previous to them slapping me in the face I had only sailed on Royal Exclusively! Now I know there are others who appreciate my business more and I am all too happy to spread my business around seeing as Royal doesn't seem to care if Diamond members come back or not.

Is that really what they say? I run a business and I've never said that, not even once.

I have to agree OB. We have never had that attitude toward any of our clients, however we do have some clients that we consider "very high maintainence" and would not be hurt if they decided to go elsewhere. just because someone gives repeat business, certainly does not necessarily mean they are a good loyal customer. Some of the comments now I have read on this thread and others who have wrote letters really lets me know how loyal of a customer to RC some are. Those will certainly not be the ones missed, and I'll bet RC knows who there are.

I believe RC does not have that attitude either, and would rather not have anyone go somewhere, but they have made their business decision, and certainly it did not come on a whim.

I also don't believe they are trying to declassify there pax. They are trying to give their suite customers more for what they pay for. They aren't more important that everyone else, but lets face it, they should get more for the price they pay, or maybe I should say, be able to use the amenities they pay for without having to fight everyone else, or even be left out.

We are diamond and stay in suites about half the time and I still spend most of my time between 5 and 8 in the Schooner, or other bars. The CL has never been a big deal to me for drinking, although I do like it in the morning while having my coffee and reading on the internet for an hour. And i have to say i don't think i have ever seen more than 5 people in there when i have been there.

I can certainly understand the suite pax complaining about the zoo in the CL, or even overflow lounges.

We have been on other lines, and for us RC is still worth coming back for, with or without any loyalty program.

Whether anyone realizes it or not, RC still has the best program, even without the booze. People are also forgetting for the ones who have made that point so important, the free booze is still available. Book on a certain ship.

At least there are choices, including the one that says you get to choose your cruise line for those who still can't accept it.

One of the problems is that people WERE bringing friends and family into the CL's/overflows with them as they were introducing them to cruising. How many times have we read of people doing that on CC? Numerous. And when told no, you could not do that by other CC members they had a million reasons why it was acceptable to do so because they just couldn't leave friends and family behind while they went to CL. How many times have we read that people want to bring non diamond friends and family with them to priority boarding lounges or Diamond parties because they were cruising together? Countless times. Again they all found reasons why it was perfectly acceptable to do so.

And I'm sure the Diamond plusses and suite passengers have never sneaked their friends in either or asked that they be admitted--it was just the Diamonds doing it that overwhelmed the CL's. As for priority boarding, I have on several occasions gone my separate way to that line only to have my non-priority passenger friends beat me through their line.

Tucker in Texas

Our last cruise was on the IOS, we are Diamond, we went to the Diamond Club exactly one time so no one can accuse me of using the Diamond Club for alcohol. I am not pleased with the current changes.

Suzanne thanks for the link.

I guess all the Diamond members should cruise with another line if this really upsets them. Maybe they will be happy with another cruise company. Are the changes really, really going to ruin your vacation? Will you be miserable throughout the cruise? If so sail on HAL, NCL or CCL.

They do check your card when you enter the first time, but not after that. And I've seen Diamond Members bring in friends to "show off". The staff may not want to offend or embarrass anyone so they put up with it.

I guess all the Diamond members should cruise with another line if this really upsets them. Maybe they will be happy with another cruise company. Are the changes really, really going to ruin your vacation? Will you be miserable throughout the cruise? If so sail on HAL, NCL or CCL.

I have never had a bad cruise, this includes CCL, NCL, Princess, or X. Some are better value then others , I have used RCCL in the past without considering other cruise lines. Without the Diamond Benefits this levels the playing field.

I have not seen too many people post that they have been miserable on their cruise, rather the fact they are upset with a policy to me there is a difference.

Archived