Cay....correct way to pronounce?

One of the best children's book out there is _The Cay_ which we (and my son's teacher) all called "The Kay", (not "The Key")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cay

But, IMO I say poe-ta-toe, you say paa-tat-toe

AHA! That was made into a T.V. movie with James Earl Jones as Timothy and all through the movie it was pronounced Key. In fact, Timothy tells Phillip that it is pronouned "key". That's where I learned the correct pronunciation.

Cay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A cay (also spelled key or quay; pronounced as "key" IPA: /kiː/) is a small, low-elevation, sandy island formed on the surface of coral reefs.

Edited by BecciBoo

When we were staying in the Florida Keys, we ate at a restaurant called The Quay. I figured it was pronounced KEY, but everyone who worked there pronounced it KWAY.:confused:

My dictionary has that pronounced with a long e, kwee, several times depending on origin, it is celtic which btw is pronounced with the 'k' sound not a soft 'c'. English is a very confusing languae...:rolleyes:

Edited by BecciBoo

My dictionary has that pronounced with a long e, kwee, several times depending on origin, it is celtic which btw is pronounced with the 'k' sound not a soft 'c'. English is a very confusing languae...

In England it's pronounced as key, as in Newquay and Torquay.

As you say, English is a very confusing language, fortunately it's very widely spoken.:)

In England it's pronounced as key, as in Newquay and Torquay.

As you say, English is a very confusing language, fortunately it's very widely spoken.:)

They only pronounce it that way because they're Dorquay.

The way I understand it from living with my Spanish-speaking counterparts down here is....

If you are pronouncing the word in Spanish, the proper pronunciation is "kay."

However, since most islands (as we know them) are preceeded or proceeded with English words like "Little Stirrup Cay," the proper English pronunciation is "key."

This is how the Florida Keys came to be spelled K-E-Y, from the English pronunciation of the word.

But in Spanish, the word is cayo not cay. You know cayo from Cayo Hueso, the original name for Key West. Cayo is pronounced "kai-oh" with the "ay" pronounced as "eye" not with a long "a." It is not "K-O," in other words.

You all do realize, don't you, that CeeAngel resurrected a two and a half year old thread?

Oh, man. What was I thinking responding to a two-and-a-half year old thread? I'm so stupid!:rolleyes: Maybe I wasn't here 2 1/2 years ago, and maybe the topic interested me. It's not like I see it every day here.

I think we might talking about how accents effect the pronunciation of words. In the book/movie, Timothy is an islander; think about how a strong caribbean accent might change the word "hay" to "hee" or "way" to "wee". In written form a sentence might look like this: "Ah was on mah wee to de mahket an got some hee for mah hos." When teaching the book it was a great opportunity to introduce students to how a writer can spell words phonetically to make a character more authentic by giving him/her an accent in print. There is no phonetic way for cay to be pronounced with a long E.

By the way, what's the difference between Caribbean (Car ab BE an) and Caribean (Ca RIB be an)?

But in Spanish, the word is cayo not cay. You know cayo from Cayo Hueso, the original name for Key West. Cayo is pronounced "kai-oh" with the "ay" pronounced as "eye" not with a long "a." It is not "K-O," in other words.

I agree with you. I think Cay is an evolution of Cayo.

Edited by Aquahound

You all do realize, don't you, that CeeAngel resurrected a two and a half year old thread?

There are 2 merged threads here, one of which was started yesterday.

I'd just not say it, I mean Key West K/Cey, or just Kest West?

It's just Key West.

Is that pronounced CONCH or CONK?:confused:

It's pronounced "CONK."

And for the useless info of the day.....The Conch Republic is all of Monroe County (Florida Keys), not just Key West. The name came when we seceded from the union. It was in response to a Border Patrol checkpoint at the top of the Keys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conch_Republic

Edited by Aquahound

It's been almost 5 years since we went, but everyone was pronouncing CoCoCay as "kay".

The comedian board made a joke about it, asking for Pepsi, the waiter replied "CoCoCay" (CokeOK)? Has stuck with me and my husband to this day.

• 8 years later...
Coco Cay

Is it Cay like 'way' or Cay like 'key'?

I know it's a little island like the Florida Keys but I have seen differing advice about pronounciation.

I hope this isn't a too stupid question?

Jane

x

Correct pronunciation is "Key" online dictionary backs me up:

A cay (also spelled key; both pronounced alike as "key" English pronunciation: /kiː/) is a small, low island consisting mostly of sand or coral and situated on top of a coral reef.

Holy crap! I didn't realize there are 11 year old threads in CC archives.

OMG!! That is the funniest thing I’ve read here in awhile!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

And I thought the same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums