Cay....correct way to pronounce?

6 hours ago, soremekun said:

For anyone who wants to be dogmatic, we should then be using English as they do in England and we should ditch the American accent.

Random trivia: the various pronunciations used in the US tend to be much closer to 1700’s pronunciations in the UK/Colonies than what is used in Britain today.   

• Like 1

Here's how I look at it.

It's "CocoCay", not "Coco Cay".

Technically, it's "CocoCay on Little Stirrup Cay of the Berry Islands in the Bahamas"

Meaning, that CocoCay (kay) is the name of the recreational destination on the island/Cay (key), not the island itself.

As as singular word, proper noun, RC can pronounce it however they want, hence, "Cay" to rhyme with "Day".

If it was marketed as "Coco Cay", then I'd probably argue for "Key".

You can find references to RC "changing the name" of the island to "Coco Cay". Whether that's a legal designation or just marketing doesn't really matter, as even then, I would say that when you see "CocoCay", it is the recreational destination, and when you see "Coco Cay", it's the island, and they are pronounced differently.

CocoCay (kay) on Coco Cay (key).

😁

21 minutes ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

Docked there today.  Announcement overhead pronounced KAY. So it rhymes with day, as in perfect day. Welcome to a perfect day at coco cay. Then they played Bill Withers “Lovely Day”.  And it was a lovely day

That is correct

31 minutes ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

Docked there today.  Announcement overhead pronounced KAY. So it rhymes with day, as in perfect day. Welcome to a perfect day at coco cay. Then they played Bill Withers “Lovely Day”.  And it was a lovely day

But was it perfect?

20 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Talking about pronounciations, is it:

RCL

RCCL

or

RCI?

I’m new to the line and my go-to is RCCL but a lot of people say RCI here

RCI = Royal Caribbean International, this is the current name of the cruise line that runs the 'of the seas' ships. it's previous name was RCCL; Royal Caribbean Cruise Line?

Now, RCCL( Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD) is the parent company of RCI(and Celebrity Cruises)

Aloha,

John

20 hours ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

We were told that Royal bought the song for $200,000 (I think.) So it is their song. And they changed the words to prove it. And you will hear the song A LOT.

On 8/21/2009 at 1:50 PM, jbond said:

When we were staying in the Florida Keys, we ate at a restaurant called The Quay. I figured it was pronounced KEY, but everyone who worked there pronounced it KWAY.:confused:

quay
/,k(w)ā/

noun

1. a concrete, stone, or metal platform lying alongside or projecting into water for loading and unloading ships.

Origin
    image.png.fae291fc52336343f4af4926c5d998a4.png
    late Middle English key, from Old French kay, of Celtic origin. The change of spelling in the late 17th century was influenced by the modern French spelling quai .

I have always pronounced it kwa
Edited by SRF

On 11/1/2021 at 8:39 AM, livingonthebeach said:

If you take someone from Miami and someone from the Panhandle, there is a world of difference in the way they talk and the words they use. 

Yes, one speaks English and the other speaks Cuban. 😄

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SRF said:

You call what they speak up in the Redneck Riviera Panhandle "English"??   

And you do realize Cubans speak Spanish and not Cuban, right?  Just checking .. . .

Edited by F27TW

2 hours ago, SRF said:

I take it with the smiley face you said that in jest. 😃 

A bit of unsolicited info for those who don't know:  Cuban is not a language.  In Cuba, Spanish is spoken, albeit not the classic Castilian Spanish.  The same as the US has many accents and colloquialisms, so does the Caribbean. The Cuban Spanish accent is very distinct and different from all the other islands, Central America and South America.

Still a non-Cuban native English speaker from Miami has a very different accent than that of a native English speaker from the Panhandle of Florida. 

21 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I take it with the smiley face you said that in jest. 😃 

A bit of unsolicited info for those who don't know:  Cuban is not a language.  In Cuba, Spanish is spoken, albeit not the classic Castilian Spanish.  The same as the US has many accents and colloquialisms, so does the Caribbean. The Cuban Spanish accent is very distinct and different from all the other islands, Central America and South America.

Still a non-Cuban native English speaker from Miami has a very different accent than that of a native English speaker from the Panhandle of Florida. 

Yes it was.  

But to be precise, none of the Spanish in the Western Hemisphere is classic Castilian.  But also, not everyone in Spain speaks Castilian.  Barcelona area is Catalonian. 😄

A friend of mine learned Spanish in Spain as a child (father US Army stationed there).  So in college, she was a science major, so took Spanish to get through language with little effort.  The professor flunked her, with the explanation that she was not speaking Spanish.  She told him that she WAS speaking Spanish, but he was not, he was speaking Mexican.  The next fall she finds she is registered for Spanish 2, when she needed Spanish 1 again to pass it. But the registrar told her, no, she didn't flunk, she got an A.  She went to the professor, and he told her that he had done a sabatical to Spain and she was right, he did not speak Spanish.

And no, there is not a Cuban language, but there is a Cuban dialect.  Just like Americans from Boston and Americans from Georgia both speak American English, they do so with quite different dialects.