State Department Travel Warning for certain parts of Mexico

Wine-O

I grew up in El Paso, across border from Juarez. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. I'm not saying not to be cautious (as with anywhere foreign you travel), but I don't remember a time when there wasn't warnings.

do cruises go to any of these places?

Never lived in fear of traveling. Not starting now.

Just providing information. I'm going to Barcelona in October. I'll just be cautions of where I go and avoid crowds.

Well over 400 people have been murdered in the city of Chicago this year, 1000's shot. Are you not going to go to Chicago? Where's the travel warning for there? If your afraid of Mexico just stay home and cover yourself in bubble wrap.

Yes it does but only because of a slight raise in the homicide rate. This area is certainly not dangerous.

Yes, I would not hesitate to go there either, using the usual commonsense cautions, not going off the beaten path etc that I would use anywhere.

The article says Yucatán (Cozumel) is not affected. :)

Just to clarify,,,

Yucatan (includes Merida and Chichen Itza): No advisory is in effect.

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

The other evening on one of the Tampa, FL stations there was a news report about tourists getting sick and some have died from alcohol which appears to be tainted or poisoned. They reported at least 3 different cases. Don't drink the water and now don't drink the alcohol.

The other evening on one of the Tampa, FL stations there was a news report about tourists getting sick and some have died from alcohol which appears to be tainted or poisoned. They reported at least 3 different cases. Don't drink the water and now don't drink the alcohol.

I heard this as well. That's really too bad as bar hopping is one of the most fun things to do in Cozumel.

do cruises go to any of these places?

Never lived in fear of traveling. Not starting now.

Same here. I can die walking out my front door. Not going to live in a bubble. Just go and enjoy myself. We don't go in areas we should not, but at the same time I am not staying home

Ex-Nassau has been known for crime for years, yet we cruise there many times a year. STT is known for crime yet we go there every year. There is crime, etc all over. I just don't let it rule my life.

Going to Cozumel in Oct and we also buy food and drink from the beach and never worry about it.

Yes it does but only because of a slight raise in the homicide rate. This area is certainly not dangerous.

A little different than a slight rise. The statistics change might be small, but it is the change in location that matters. Playa Del Carmen had 5 killed in a gun fight in a bar in town. I had always considered it to be one of the safer sports. Problem is fighting between drug gangs, that have moved the fight into traditional tourist areas. Tourists are not the targets, but can get caught in the violence between the gangs.

That's a bummer cause we have an open bar in Cozumel at the beach resort we are going to.

The problem there is not the violence, but the issues with the alcohol that is getting served in some of the all inclusive resorts. A large number of cases of people blacking out, serious illness, even deaths. A big problem in Mexico with tainted (illegal) alcohol being purchased and served.

Well over 400 people have been murdered in the city of Chicago this year, 1000's shot. Are you not going to go to Chicago? Where's the travel warning for there? If your afraid of Mexico just stay home and cover yourself in bubble wrap.

The murders in Chicago are concentrated in certain areas where they are having the so called gang wars. The violence in the ports in Mexico are occurring in areas that tourist visit. Cabo had a shooting during broad daylight right on the beach.

I know these warnings can be so general it is almost meaningless outside of scaring some people to be afraid of their own shadow, I'm in the camp to be vigilant and aware of my surroundings whenever I'm in a strange place. With that said, I was surprised to see Cozumel mentioned as Cancun has had numerous events recently over spiked alcohol. So for those o0f you recently in Cozumel, any news out of the ordinary since Nachi Cocom is one of our favorite stops.

Here's the latest. Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.