Help me spend my OBC!

the_dylaness

So, for our recently booked Equinox cruise, we'll have nearly $600 OBC in addition to prepaid gratuities, premium beverage package, and unlimited wifi.

There are only three ports- in one of them we already have a non-ship-excursion planned, and may or may not book through the ship for the others.

There's always the spa, but even with OBC those sky-high prices make me cringe... I'll probably get one treatment but can't imagine doing much more.

We are going to have access to Blu which we REALLY liked so I don't see much sense in spending even more for another restaurant.

Surely the premium beverage package should include enough things we want to drink?

I am not a big shopper so no jewels or purses in the onboard shops for me.

Persian Garden included in Aqua Class, so don't need to buy that...

This is a great problem to have but I really am not even sure what other things I can spend money on? Help me get creative!

If you got some of that from a travel agency, there's a good chance it's refundable, which means you can take it home with you. I heard you can get it in cash at Guest Services the last night, but I just have it refunded to my credit card that I have on record with them.

When you get on the ship, check your account on the tv, if it has an "r" next to it means it's refundable, but I would check with th front desk to make sure. If there is refundable and nonrefundable obc, they always take the nonrefundable first.

If you got some of that from a travel agency, there's a good chance it's refundable, which means you can take it home with you. I heard you can get it in cash at Guest Services the last night, but I just have it refunded to my credit card that I have on record with them.

When you get on the ship, check your account on the tv, if it has an "r" next to it means it's refundable, but I would check with th front desk to make sure. If there is refundable and nonrefundable obc, they always take the nonrefundable first.

Very good to know, thanks!

If you can't get it refunded it might be a great time to get yourselves a really nice souvenir from the ship. Michael Kors maybe?

I don't know if the sell the items made from the glass blowing demonstrations but that would be a really neat way to remember your trip. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The holidays are coming up Buy some stuff to give as presents. Even it is overpriced which it will be, you will be buying w OBC so it is costing you nothing. Another thought is that you can buy something that you can sell on Craigslist when you get back home. Even if you only get 50 cents on a dollar, you did not pay for it so it is pure profit.

One final thought is to buy something that you can donate to a charity who will then reap the money by selling it. You will get the tax deduction on the full purchase price, you will feel good about donating to your favorite charity, and they will get the money.

DON

If you can't get it refunded it might be a great time to get yourselves a really nice souvenir from the ship. Michael Kors maybe?

I don't know if the sell the items made from the glass blowing demonstrations but that would be a really neat way to remember your trip. [emoji2]

I don't think they sell the glass items, but rather auction some of them off on the last day. I would expect that OBC would go towards that.

Oh how I would LOOOOOOVE to buy one of the items....guess we shall find out if I'm that lucky in 3 weeks!

This is a great problem to have but I really am not even sure what other things I can spend money on? Help me get creative!

Why not purchase an Ipad on board? It will last a few years and if you didn't want to keep it, should be easy to sell.

I really enjoy helping others to spend their money. If you are in a real pinch and feel that you need to spend the non refundable OBC you can purchase a fine bottle of wine and have it delivered to my cabin for the February 20, 2017 Mardi Gras cruise. I have a number of friends on that cruise and pledge that will will offer a toast to you on the cruise. It will be just like you're there. Of course you can give extra tips to the hard working crew and they would most certainly appreciate it, perhaps even more than I would appreciate the wine.

Even if you don't spend any of your OBC on alcohol, why not enjoy a wine event or two? We have done the Riedel wine comparison workshop that includes four Riedel glasses of your choice (you order them post-cruise, so you'd need to pay shipping fee) and have also really enjoyed the World Wine Tour and Wine Tasting events that we've seen offered on sea days. The Riedel workshop ran about $85 per person and the others were around $20. I think 18% gratuity was added on top of the purchase price.

Do you have a long time before your post-cruise flight? You could book one of X's transfer tours that will show you the sites before dropping you off at the airport.

I got a massage special on my last cruise and the treatment was excellent! They had masseuses giving free "taster" massages in front of the Oceanview Cafe. I tried a couple over a few days and one woman's style was just what I liked. You could probably get several if you wait for a sale! 😄.

So, for our recently booked Equinox cruise, we'll have nearly $600 OBC in addition to prepaid gratuities, premium beverage package, and unlimited wifi.

There are only three ports- in one of them we already have a non-ship-excursion planned, and may or may not book through the ship for the others.

There's always the spa, but even with OBC those sky-high prices make me cringe... I'll probably get one treatment but can't imagine doing much more.

We are going to have access to Blu which we REALLY liked so I don't see much sense in spending even more for another restaurant.

Surely the premium beverage package should include enough things we want to drink?

Persian Garden included in Aqua Class, so don't need to buy that...

I had $800 obc on one cruise, and used it for a macbook air, prices onboard are competitive for ipads, macbooks, etc

I can't believe you have just dismissed the specialities....Booking Tuscan, early evening, as you leave a port....Sea day evening enjoying the ambiance and theatre in Murano's, meeting with a group of new friends to enjoy a family style meal in Silk Harvest.....

No disrespect to Blu...but dining is about more than the food.

Even if you don't spend any of your OBC on alcohol, why not enjoy a wine event or two? We have done the Riedel wine comparison workshop that includes four Riedel glasses of your choice (you order them post-cruise, so you'd need to pay shipping fee) and have also really enjoyed the World Wine Tour and Wine Tasting events that we've seen offered on sea days. The Riedel workshop ran about $85 per person and the others were around $20. I think 18% gratuity was added on top of the purchase price.

Yes!!!! That is great. We did that on solstice a few years ago.

We have had $600 nonrefundable obc on our last 2 cruises with all 4 perks. We were able to spend it all. I bought 2 bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue. Thats $300. You dont have to spend it at all. Our next cruise we had $600 nonrefundable obc. The price for our suite dropped before final payment. I call my TA. TA checked into it. I did lose $300 obc, but dropped the price by $900. So in the end we have a nice suite, all 4 perks and only $300 nonrefundable obc and saved $600

I got a massage special on my last cruise and the treatment was excellent! They had masseuses giving free "taster" massages in front of the Oceanview Cafe. I tried a couple over a few days and one woman's style was just what I liked. You could probably get several if you wait for a sale! 😄.

Massage Therapist if you please:D