Your thought on the Rooftop Terrace.

bryanjaync

We walked though a couple of times last time we were on the Summit. As Gold said, there were lots of people sprawled out on the seating (and there's not all that much seating). We weren't interested in the movies and the sound was annoyingly loud. It's not a space where I'd enjoy spending time.

The space was not really being used before so at least it provides another venue. Too many chair hogs, just like the pool. Not impressed overall with the choices of the movies but then I don't find many movies these days to interest me. Don't like the 'commercials' playing all day, especially for those folks in the cabins below on 11. Depending on the ship, it can be too loud when you sit out on the balconies in those cabins. Hard to see the screen sometimes due to glare. Very windy. When it's sunny it can be uncomfortable.

The negatives are probably why this was undeveloped space when the ships were designed..

Hope daytime sleepers go there instead of the solarium...where seats are limited for those actually using the pool..

solarium now has eating, card playing and sleeping...in additon to gen relaxation and swimming!

We stay in the Deck 11 cabins right under - why does the volume have to be SO LOUD? Otherwise we could care less what is happening up there - went up to look once, meh, it was freezing (Canada cruise), loud, glare from the screen unless you are at the perfect angle.

Go if that sounds appealing, but why have it SO LOUD that it disturbs people a deck away?

I like it up there. Seating is nice and comfortable. I do agree with previous post that its a nice way to use a previously undeveloped area of the ship. Screen is not the greatest, sound is not the greatest. But it does add another venue that I value. I only watched 1/2 a movie up there, and it was at night so I cant comment on the glare or wind or uncomfortable heat. I have watched several sports games up there and absolutely loved it! Celeb staff set up a bar, brought around wings and nachos, and it was a great evening of football with other like minded sports fans.

We have done three cruises now on ships with the roof top terrace, Alaska in July 2016 it was too cold to try and use much, Asia (Hong Kong to Shanghai) again too cold and some rain too and the past 10 days from Venice to Barcelona we went up once on a nice sea day and found it crowded, windy and way to sunny for us. Our days of sitting in the sun are long gone so it is not a place we would use much. It needs more shade and yes, it needs chair police but that is not happening.

When the ship is rocking, you really feel the motion up that high.

We tried it a couple of times, but left part way through each time, preferring to watch a movie or game on the TV in our cabin or suite where we can control the temperature and the sound level.

Also no concerns about sun or wind or chair hogs that way. :D

But the large deck can be a good place to get together when traveling with a large group.

Some like to meet up there for sailaways.

Edited by varoo

We went up there on our last cruise on the Summit. It was an overcast day. We were the only ones there so we got a lounger and sat there reading our books. Later there was a little more traffic. They handed out earphones and had a meditation program. The images on the screen were very nice. After that finished they started a concert - Queen. It was enjoyable listening to the music. Then the started a movie and it was loud and annoying. We left and with improved weather, did not return to that area.

Prior to the Rooftop terrace we would go to that area to sunbathe. It was nice, quiet, relaxing. Very few people. They have put that area to use...just not sure if it a better use.

I have stayed in AQ cabins on deck 11 and would not book again. I had to call GR and ask for volume to be turned down as I could not enjoy my balcony.

Two weeks ago I was on the Seabourn Sojourn. We were tendered and X was at the dock. On our ship we could hear the movie blaring from the X Infinity. We were at Icy Straight Point in Alaska. Ruined the quiet setting. I don`t mind the space just wish it was no movies. Better left on Princess.

The back steps from the Sunset bar are very steep so any one w/ mobility issues would have a problem. My niece who although only 22 at the time but has had 5 ACL/MCL knee surgeries even had a very hard time w/ those steps which is why we never went back up there. The steps leading from the other side were better.

Very difficult to access since there is no elevator access. I went up once to take a look. Very little seating. Can't say I was impressed. And I wish all the sleepers would go to their cabins to sleep!

Actually, there is an elevator on the Starboard side (on Summit) but I have read that it does not always work...and their is no one there to help work so people are left on their own.

Agree..sleepers need to go to their staterooms.

Why would anyone go on a cruise, to watch a movie, I don't get it. Was in cabin 1140 on a California coastal (Infinity) and same cabin on an Alaskan cruise. Way to loud and annoying. Will never book deck 11 cabin again.

I love watching movies under the stars so I'm looking forward to spending some time in this area. I hope there is something that we want to see on our next cruise. What do you like to do on a cruise?

Interesting. I was on Summit, but I went up the steps on the port side. Not good for somebody with bad knees. Will check out the starboard side when I'm on again next month.

There was an electric lift installed on deck 11 for people with disabilities to use to ride up to deck 12, and a phone nearby to call when you wanted to use it.

I got the impression that the reason was to prevent children from riding up and down on it for entertainment, the way that some of them do on the regular passenger elevators.

Why would anyone go on a cruise, to watch a movie, I don't get it. Was in cabin 1140 on a California coastal (Infinity) and same cabin on an Alaskan cruise. Way to loud and annoying. Will never book deck 11 cabin again.
We also found cabin 1140 to be very disappointing, although there was a passenger who apparently liked it and recommended it.

It is sandwiched between two public decks, so you get the noise from both below you and above you, often from both at the same time.

But for someone who is hard of hearing, that may not be a problem.

A member of our party with hearing aids simply turned them off.

What bothered us even more than the noise is that the views are obstructed by a flagpole that sticks up behind the balcony of 1140, and also by a canopy and bar deck that extend out below it.

In Alaska, there were whales frolicking right behind the back of the ship at Icy Strait Point. The people on the lower aft balconies were really enjoying watching them, but they could not be seen from the balconies at the rear of deck 11 because of the obstructed downward view.

Edited by fleckle

There was an electric lift installed on deck 11 for people with disabilities to use to ride up to deck 12, and a phone nearby to call when you wanted to use it.

I got the impression that the reason was to prevent children from riding up and down on it for entertainment, the way that some of them do on the regular passenger elevators.

We also found cabin 1140 to be very disappointing, although there was a passenger who apparently liked it and recommended it.

It is sandwiched between two public decks, so you get the noise from both below you and above you, often from both at the same time.

But for someone who is hard of hearing, that may not be a problem.

A member of our party with hearing aids simply turned them off.

What bothered us even more than the noise is that the views are obstructed by a flagpole that sticks up behind the balcony of 1140, and also by a canopy and bar deck that extend out below it.

In Alaska, there were whales frolicking right behind the back of the ship at Icy Strait Point. The people on the lower aft balconies were really enjoying watching them, but they could not be seen from the balconies at the rear of deck 11 because of the obstructed downward view.

We were on the second sailing after they made the improvements so no elevator so it's nice that they put one in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We loved the rooftop terrace. It was a unique and entertaining open air experience for us. There was a bar set up, warm fleece blankets for the cooler evening air, and very comfortable and relaxing cushioned patio loungers. We fully expect to repeat the experience on the Reflection.

Sent from my iPad using Forums