Where to store cash and credit cards while on ship ?

I've just booked my first cruise and was wondering what people do with their cash ( for shore excursions) and credit cards on a ship.

I've read conflicting information as to whether to store them in the cabin safe or not, as some crew may have the master code to open the safe (in case a passenger forgets their code).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

We have always used the safe and never had a problem. We put our passports (only carry a photocopy into ports, unless it is necessary), credit cards, phone, jewelry etc in the first day. If you were uneasy about the safes, I suppose you could put them in your suitcases which are put under the bed.

I am thinking the crew would be risking their job if they stole from the safes. Maybe I am too trusting, but as I said have never had a problem.

I had a problem with the safe on one of my cruises. I had to wait 30 min. for a special person with the master card to come and open it for me. I had to sign a form that was date and time stamped saying that I gave him permission to open it in my presence.

As someone already said, only a few crew members have the master card or code, and they are not going to risk their jobs and criminal prosecution going around and entering cabins when not authorized.

Roz

I divide my cash up by port, with an envelope for each port. Then keep it all in the safe and just take out the appropriate envelope I need when I need it.

If you research, you'll know how much cabs cost, beach chairs/umbrellas, etc. Bring extra for souvenirs and food/drinks in port.

The safe in your room is safe. ;)

I'll add a couple of additional points here.

First, on some Carnival ships, the safes don't use a PIN, but a magnetic strip instead. Otherwise they're the same as other safes - a few people have master access to them, but only in an emergency.

Second, I haven't tried this on a ship, but some hotels on land offer to take care of your valuables at the front desk. They'll put it away wherever and give you a chit or something to allow you to pick it up on demand. I imagine some cruise ships offer this service; it might be worth asking about.

I'll add a couple of additional points here.

First, on some Carnival ships, the safes don't use a PIN, but a magnetic strip instead. Otherwise they're the same as other safes - a few people have master access to them, but only in an emergency.

Second, I haven't tried this on a ship, but some hotels on land offer to take care of your valuables at the front desk. They'll put it away wherever and give you a chit or something to allow you to pick it up on demand. I imagine some cruise ships offer this service; it might be worth asking about.

The older Carnival ship safes need a card, we use an old AAA card. The newer ships you use your own PIN.

Inside the safe we store things in bags or other containers. Every once in a while you hear stories about pax leaving or finding jewelry in the safe.

We needed to have the safe opened once- my husband made an error...

One of the chief security people came to help us open it- in her presence.

Some safes require you to use a credit card to open the safe rather than random numbers (I think this was on Carnival). We just used out library card but hid it in a pack of candy in our closet. I wasn't going to swipe my credit card in a safe! Try it out before you place anything in the safe. AND as my DH learned, follow the instructions to a T.

Just a heads up- the most valuable item on list is your US passport. Stolen ones remastered bring up to10K. If for any reason needed to get back on ship in exotic ports ship will announce it. Keep it in room safe.

The safe is (as the name reflects) the safest place! Or, you could lock your stuff in an empty suitcase...your bags all have locks, right? If they don't, they should!!

Actually not the safest place. Like any hotel, the purser's safe is the one that will include the most coverage for loss. Many times, there's a disclaimer for safes indicating that they are provided as a courtesy but with no liability for loss.

We were once locked out of our safe since the strip on an old gift card we were using had de-magnetized. When we asked our cabin attendant to help us he told us he didn't have a master key to open it and called security for us. Someone from security along with head of house keeping came and asked us first if they had our permission to work on it.

Like others said you will be safe with using your cabin safe.

Enjoy your first cruise and be sure and come back and tell us all about it.

The cabin safes are extremely safe. Once in a while the batteries die in them or a pax will forget their code in which case a security person will be called to open it....none of the other staff have the master code.