$7.95 Room Service Charge

Wow, that is too bad, I liked to get room service maybe once or twice on a cruise, especially on a port day that I want to get out early. Plus it's nice to eat on the balcony (if I'm lucky enough to have one) occasionally without having to get ready for the day in time for breakfast (not a morning person). But considering my few experiences with room service haven't been great, it's not worth it to me. (Getting phone calls at 7 a.m. to confirm an 8:30 breakfast order, not getting it if I fail to answer the phone, etc). Only exception was my first cruise, on Oasis, it was free HOT room service breakfast, and we even got a little plate of goodies later in the day as a "thank you" for ordering free room service! That was only in 2013, what a difference a few years makes.

That's OK, I've found the nice, free breakfast in the dining room worth getting up for. :)

Edited by fluffysue

Currently on Empress and so far (two experiences) it is a big fail ! Ordered the cheese steak - cheesecake was delivered. Ordered cheese steak the following day. It was awful. So much for the new upgraded menu.

Oh you wanted good food ? That's coming in the next upgrade . For just $20 , plus a nominal amount per item (nominal for us - you not so much) you will be able to order from our ultra gourmet food offerings . In addition you may wish to take advantage of our premium ordering system where we guarantee (85% of the time) to deliver very possibly on time , what you actually ordered . No need to thank us .

Oh you wanted good food ? That's coming in the next upgrade . For just $20 , plus a nominal amount per item (nominal for us - you not so much) you will be able to order from our ultra gourmet food offerings . In addition you may wish to take advantage of our premium ordering system where we guarantee (85% of the time) to deliver very possibly on time , what you actually ordered . No need to thank us .

Our food was good, hot, correct, and came in 35 minutes. 9 food plates all together. It took two carts to deliver. Tipped accordingly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Can I just clarify, I thought the $7.95 included the tip but you say to tip $1-2 per plate not per order?

The $7.95 supposedly includes the tip, but you are welcome (but not required) to tip more if you like. It's up to you.

The $7.95 supposedly includes the tip, but you are welcome (but not required) to tip more if you like. It's up to you.

I may have gotten my order quick and hot for one of the following 3 reasons.

1 - I tipped the day before.

2 - It was early in the afternoon on a port day.

3 - We were in the RS.

Any could have been valid. [emoji6]

i'm guessing there will be a lot of wasted food..

if i know i'm being charged $8 to order, i'll make sure i get my money's worth and then some...

and throw away whatever we don't eat...

i might even order a ton extra just on principle...

All of the food in my picture was eaten

if i know i'm being charged $8 to order, i'll make sure i get my money's worth and then some...

What principle would that be?

I know you will get criticized by the loyal royals for this . Oh well .:evilsmile:

What principle would that be?

That is a really important point. There is no generally accepted principle that calls for deliberately engaging in waste. A principled response to an offensive moves such as the introduction of the fee of the sort would be to not patronize the service at all.

I believe most people would agree with that and therefore what is more likely is that this could result in less waste. Without this fee some passengers might have been more apt to order room service just to be sure that there's some food in the room perhaps even for a midnight snack of some sort. Now those passengers would be discouraged from placing an order for food that they aren't sure they're going to actually end up needing.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Can't believe there are 78 pages on this thread!

After reading some discussions and thinking about it I have come to the opinion, for what it worth, that I'm ok with the charge.

We used to get breakfast every morning on the balcony. And it was rarely on time, once an entire hour early, and sometimes so late we were almost out the door for the day.

Daytime was often an hour wait. So we rarely used it anyway.

if it will come faster and hot I'm all for it. Also has it started prior to sail away? That would really be worth it to me as we are unpacking and like sail away on our balcony.

We will do the light breakfast or skip room service and if we do order during the cruise we will make it a large order and enjoy the treat it is. We NEVER order room service in a hotel due to the outrageous prices so for us it's still fun on a cruise. As long as they don't keep inceasing it....

That is a really important point. There is no generally accepted principle that calls for deliberately engaging in waste. A principled response to an offensive moves such as the introduction of the fee of the sort would be to not patronize the service at all.

I believe most people would agree with that and therefore what is more likely is that this could result in less waste. Without this fee some passengers might have been more apt to order room service just to be sure that there's some food in the room perhaps even for a midnight snack of some sort. Now those passengers would be discouraged from placing an order for food that they aren't sure they're going to actually end up needing.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Well written post but I'm fascinated why one must respond to this cash grab by turning the other cheek and worrying about waste . Perhaps RC is responding to this waste by deliberate delays and fouling up orders ?

In my neck of the woods , supermarket chains have instituted and lobbied governments to mandate a fee for each plastic bag . They publicly sold this with pious talk about saving the environment . I was "impressed" how their concerns for the environment meshed so perfectly with what was better for them .

So here we are discussing a new fee which is being sold as preventing food waste on behalf of RC . Please excuse my selfish behavior for not worrying about this and concentrating on this cutback .

As to those horrified by this on-going thread .... you know what you can do . Don't read it .

Well written post but I'm fascinated why one must respond to this cash grab by turning the other cheek and worrying about waste . Perhaps RC is responding to this waste by deliberate delays and fouling up orders ?

In my neck of the woods , supermarket chains have instituted and lobbied governments to mandate a fee for each plastic bag . They publicly sold this with pious talk about saving the environment . I was "impressed" how their concerns for the environment meshed so perfectly with what was better for them .

So here we are discussing a new fee which is being sold as preventing food waste on behalf of RC . Please excuse my selfish behavior for not worrying about this and concentrating on this cutback .

As to those horrified by this on-going thread .... you know what you can do . Don't read it .

The food is really better. We don't do breakfast. WJ is fine if you get up early. Fresh omelette. Mmmm

Well written post but I'm fascinated why one must respond to this cash grab by turning the other cheek and worrying about waste
Worrying about waste is warranted regardless of whether there is something to respond to driving it. What better reason can be offered for employing a destructive response, committing waste, rather than responding with a constructive response to what you view it as an unacceptable cash grab by not ordering room service and/or find another cruise line that doesn't charge for room service?

Those who don't like the room service charge can do the same with regard to room service that you're suggesting those complaining about the on-going thread can do with regard to the thread.