In Defense of Viking

drcpa

My wife and I took our first river cruise with AMA, Rhine Christmas Markets,a few years back. We had a wonderful time and I'll never forget New Years in Amsterdam, martini in hand, watching the fireworks over the city.

Our next river cruise was on Viking, Danube Christmas Markets. While I know some of you would not agree, we pronounced the lines a virtual tie.

Last year was another Viking Christmas Markets cruise (catch a pattern here?) on a different part of the Rhine.

Although we have no idea how we'll exist without Christmas Markets :), we're off to a Viking Provence Cruise in early November.

For those considering Viking I'd like to call out as rubbish what I sometimes see on this Forum. Specifically;

** Viking is the Yugo of river cruises while the other lines are Rolls-Royce and Bentley.

** Viking is the Walmart of river cruises while the other lines are Rodeo Drive, or for my Florida friends, Worth Avenue.

** Tourists book Viking, while travelers sail something else. No sophisticated person would ever be caught dead on a Viking ship.

** Viking provides an impersonal, boilerplate cruise while the other lines are hip, niche, boutique experiences.

** The insulting, scandalous notion that in order to expand Viking is hiring unqualified, inexperienced staff and crew.

** 2 for 1 promotions are some demonic, "never heard of in the industry", Viking only scams.

** Finally, "We've never sailed on Viking and will never sail on Viking" and base that on passenger capacity, cabin size and how low the boat sits in the water. I have found in life that with a few notable exceptions an inch here or there really doesn't make that much difference.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. That's why this Forum is here. And I am not saying that Viking is the hands down winner. But please don't be frightened away from Viking by a vocal minority.

I have cruised Viking. I do not have an issue with the quality of their on ship product.

I will not have Viking as my first choice for river cruises, because of some of their business practices. Primarily their payment schedule have much longer lead times then their competition. Another issue is while they have a nice product when things go well, there tend to be problems with refunds, future vouchers, etc. when problems occur.

Pre-cruise execution by their corporate office is not exactly the best. Spent two years trying to get my address updated. They could find my new address just fine for advertising literature, but when it came to getting cruise documents, nope. They would go to my old address, no matter how many times I called and had them change it.

So while I agree with your comments concerning the quality of the product, I will primarily use other vendors for the reason I listed.

Edited by RDC1

Thank you both. We are going with Viking on our first river cruise in December, Danube Waltz for Christmas Markets.

I didn't like paying in full in Dec. for a cruise 11 months away, but it did give us free air and free cancel for any reason. You can get an extended pay't schedule but the offer may then vary - all you have to do is ask.

They did seem to have to lowest cancellation fee had we booked without the cancel for any reason clause. You don't see many people talking about other lines having a cancellation fee of $250-$500 even with a closer to sail date pay in full date, and I seem to recall the cancellation fee with Viking is $100.

Everyone has their favorite and least favorite lines, but I will take the honest opinions of those that have actually sailed with the company they are praising or bashing. All other opinions will be taken with a grain of salt.

My wife and I took our first river cruise with AMA, Rhine Christmas Markets,a few years back. We had a wonderful time and I'll never forget New Years in Amsterdam, martini in hand, watching the fireworks over the city.

Our next river cruise was on Viking, Danube Christmas Markets. While I know some of you would not agree, we pronounced the lines a virtual tie.

Last year was another Viking Christmas Markets cruise (catch a pattern here?) on a different part of the Rhine.

Although we have no idea how we'll exist without Christmas Markets :), we're off to a Viking Provence Cruise in early November.

For those considering Viking I'd like to call out as rubbish what I sometimes see on this Forum. Specifically;

** Viking is the Yugo of river cruises while the other lines are Rolls-Royce and Bentley.

** Viking is the Walmart of river cruises while the other lines are Rodeo Drive, or for my Florida friends, Worth Avenue.

** Tourists book Viking, while travelers sail something else. No sophisticated person would ever be caught dead on a Viking ship.

** Viking provides an impersonal, boilerplate cruise while the other lines are hip, niche, boutique experiences.

** The insulting, scandalous notion that in order to expand Viking is hiring unqualified, inexperienced staff and crew.

** 2 for 1 promotions are some demonic, "never heard of in the industry", Viking only scams.

** Finally, "We've never sailed on Viking and will never sail on Viking" and base that on passenger capacity, cabin size and how low the boat sits in the water. I have found in life that with a few notable exceptions an inch here or there really doesn't make that much difference.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. That's why this Forum is here. And I am not saying that Viking is the hands down winner. But please don't be frightened away from Viking by a vocal minority.

Could not agree more. Recently returned from the Avignon-Lyon cruise on the Heimdal and we were all impressed with the ship, service, food, and tours provided at no cost.

I'm very glad that you have found a river cruise line that fits your needs, but your defense of Viking is undercut by the "straw man" arguments. I have read every post on this forum for the last three years and just did a search to confirm my memory, and I could not find a single post that compared Viking to Yugo or to Walmart. Nor do I recall posts sneering at Viking customers as tourists in comparison to sophisticated travelers – nor anyone saying that Viking provides an "impersonal, boilerplate cruise." There has been criticism of Viking's constant "2 for 1" sales, but only as a misleading business practice -- it is not "unheard of in the industry" because Oceania does it too, but it is unusual in the River Cruising industry. The claims about Viking's rapid expansion and its effect on their ability to hire and train crew may be a matter of dispute, but hardly an "insulting, scandalous notion" as if true it would imperil the safety of the passengers. So we come down to your final point dismissing the reasons others have given for not wanting to sail on Viking -- and the answer, which you acknowledge, is that those posters are as much entitled to their opinions as you are to yours. If you want to convince people to try Viking, give us more detail about what you liked on your Viking cruises.

Two reasons I won't consider Viking, their policy of 100 % paid in full months in advance, and their poor record of customer service when unforeseen difficulties happen on their ships causing the ship unable to sail. These two items are factual and not subjective.

I'm very glad that you have found a river cruise line that fits your needs, but your defense of Viking is undercut by the "straw man" arguments. I have read every post on this forum for the last three years and just did a search to confirm my memory, and I could not find a single post that compared Viking to Yugo or to Walmart. Nor do I recall posts sneering at Viking customers as tourists in comparison to sophisticated travelers – nor anyone saying that Viking provides an "impersonal, boilerplate cruise." There has been criticism of Viking's constant "2 for 1" sales, but only as a misleading business practice -- it is not "unheard of in the industry" because Oceania does it too, but it is unusual in the River Cruising industry. The claims about Viking's rapid expansion and its effect on their ability to hire and train crew may be a matter of dispute, but hardly an "insulting, scandalous notion" as if true it would imperil the safety of the passengers. So we come down to your final point dismissing the reasons others have given for not wanting to sail on Viking -- and the answer, which you acknowledge, is that those posters are as much entitled to their opinions as you are to yours. If you want to convince people to try Viking, give us more detail about what you liked on your Viking cruises.

-------------------

Well so much for a fair minded and impartial Forum Host. Defensive much? And apologies if my comments hit too close to home, but thanks for proving my point.

-------------------

Well so much for a fair minded and impartial Forum Host. Defensive much? And apologies if my comments hit too close to home, but thanks for proving my point.

I will leave it to others to judge whether criticizing your debate tactics are in any way related to my opinion of Viking.

I have heard a lot of good about Viking (probably more good from various people than the bad from a few), but just as I will never take an ocean cruise, I probably wouldn't sail with Viking. My reason - 70 extra passengers in a ship the same size as others. I like my space & not thrilled about crowds. Sorry if you think this is a "rubbish" excuse, but that's just the way I am. Since I have never and probably will never sail with them, I sure wouldn't tell anyone not to go with them.

I think some of the OP's comments (Yugo of cruise lines, etc) were meant to be facetious. That said, there is the perception that there is a very vocal group on this board that bash Viking, but by their own admission have never actually sailed on Viking. Of course everyone can decide, based on their research, if a cruise line is for them or not, without having to actually shell out money just to confirm they made a dreadful mistake. For example, I don't think AMA is the right line for us, but I will never make a negative comment about the line unless its first hand knowledge.

I have sailed on Viking twice, and have a third cruise booked for next year. Granted, neither of our cruises were plagued by high water, low water, strikes, broken locks, or any of the other "Circumstances Beyond Their Control" that seem to put some over the ledge. Also I knew about rafting, open seating, but a set meal time for dinner, and some of the other quirks that seem to surprise first time river cruisers.

Oh, and the year in advance payment? Easy enough to push the final payment back. I have until 12/30/16 to finish paying for next year's river cruise that starts the last week of October (10-months out) and have already been told I can push it out ever further if need be. All I have to do is ask.

This is an example of why some people rather not post on forums and just read posts instead. Same thing happens on websites that review trip locations or restaurants. You always have to consider where the comments/info is coming from since many people have agendas. There are always more sides to a story then you think so open mindedness is needed but beware of agendas.

I think some of the OP's comments (Yugo of cruise lines, etc) were meant to be facetious. That said, there is the perception that there is a very vocal group on this board that bash Viking, but by their own admission have never actually sailed on Viking. Of course everyone can decide, based on their research, if a cruise line is for them or not, without having to actually shell out money just to confirm they made a dreadful mistake. For example, I don't think AMA is the right line for us, but I will never make a negative comment about the line unless its first hand knowledge.

I have sailed on Viking twice, and have a third cruise booked for next year. Granted, neither of our cruises were plagued by high water, low water, strikes, broken locks, or any of the other "Circumstances Beyond Their Control" that seem to put some over the ledge. Also I knew about rafting, open seating, but a set meal time for dinner, and some of the other quirks that seem to surprise first time river cruisers.

Oh, and the year in advance payment? Easy enough to push the final payment back. I have until 12/30/16 to finish paying for next year's river cruise that starts the last week of October (10-months out) and have already been told I can push it out ever further if need be. All I have to do is ask.

If you're ok with being charged in full by Viking ten months out, even though all the other cruise companies use 90 days, and you feel that the pax on the Viking Freya were treated how you would want to be treated under the same circumstances then you can be confident you made the right choice. Consumers who are researching here on CC have the right to be informed of the differences in customer service between the various lines. There is a pattern with Viking. It is only after the fact, and pax get frustrated and don't get the issue resolved through normal channels do they come on CC.

I generally just read posts to learn. Whether I agree or disagree, everyone (?) is entitled to their opinion. Many things besides the taste of food is subjective.

I have taken three cruises with Viking. Two were very good. My last one was a bit less than very good.

Vikings two for one promotion is a poor and dated gimmick. However, I can remember the first time I was investigating river cruises and thought the end of month deadline was real.

Paying in full 10 months out did bother me initially but a request to delay payment works wonders. The larger ship load also doesn't me. In my experience, the only time you spend time on the ship is at dinner time. Dinner can easily go 2 hours. And the ship never appears crowded.

The reason I write this, is how the Host replied to the good Dr. Or is he a good CPA.

I thought they were to be impartial. In the words of Donald-

Wrong!

I generally just read posts to learn. Whether I agree or disagree, everyone (?) is entitled to their opinion. Many things besides the taste of food is subjective.

I have taken three cruises with Viking. Two were very good. My last one was a bit less than very good.

Vikings two for one promotion is a poor and dated gimmick. However, I can remember the first time I was investigating river cruises and thought the end of month deadline was real.

Paying in full 10 months out did bother me initially but a request to delay payment works wonders. The larger ship load also doesn't me. In my experience, the only time you spend time on the ship is at dinner time. Dinner can easily go 2 hours. And the ship never appears crowded.

The reason I write this, is how the Host replied to the good Dr. Or is he a good CPA.

I thought they were to be impartial. In the words of Donald-

Wrong!

After reading the hosts comments in which he basically stated that the comments that the OP stated had been said about Viking, had in fact not been said in the River cruise stream, I would not consider that to be an unreasonable comment by a host. Nor would I consider it to be a violation of being impartial. After all he was not commenting about Viking, only that the comments claimed by the OP had in fact not been said in the topic he moderates.

I would expect a host to step in when someone makes invalid claims in a post. If the host was incorrect the OP can always quote the original posts from which the statements he referenced were made to support his claims. Based upon his rather short response it would appear that the host was correct.

Edited by RDC1

First of all I am one of the river cruisers who has never been with Viking but reading many threads I am sure the good reports far outweigh the bad. There are though a few reports of how Viking have treated their guests when a shipping problem has occurred and this has happened with other cruise lines. Saying this I can only report of the time when my friend (of many many years) and her husband were on a Viking cruise, he has a long term brain injury and became extremely ill during their cruise, Viking were so very good to the point of finding a suite for their son who flew to the boat to support his mum and dad. Now doing that shows they cannot be all bad. Another point the vast majority of river cruise crews are contracted from one company which has different divisions maritime and hotel so across the industry they have very similar training. Over all you are sure to get more input here on CC because Viking has far more ships plying the rivers of Europe and they can hold nearly a quarter more passengers than other cruise line vessels (don't hold me on the maths). CA

-------------------

Apparently those are not requirements on this board, I'd give up fighting that one, I know I have...

... There has been criticism of Viking's constant "2 for 1" sales, but only as a misleading business practice -- it is not "unheard of in the industry" because Oceania does it too, but it is unusual in the River Cruising industry...
Unfortunately Vantage also has continuous 2for1 pricing on their river cruises. Since I understand that the "original price" is entirely fictitious, I find it merely irritating, but Newbies could be mislead. An onboard Oceania future sales Representative had no response when I said that I didn't want to sail on a ship full of people stupid enough to believe their fake pricing.:mad: Viking is based in California (at least US sales), a state with a No Fake Pricing law, but obviously it is not enforced.

Apparently those are not requirements on this board, I'd give up fighting that one, I know I have...

I prefer boards where the Moderator is not participating in that part of the board. For example - Host Joe. It makes it for a more balanced board when the Moderator doesn't have an agenda.

Edited by Coral

We have been on 4 Viking trips--one good, one excellent and 2 well below par. China was fantastic, the Elbe good(it had enough water when we cruised), Russia terrible and Antwerp to Basel well below what we expected from a river cruise. The crew on all the trips were fantastic. I really think the problem is the office in CA.

We were given a voucher for future travel from our Russia trip, told Viking rep that our travel plans for the next year were firm. She extended the voucher for a year and we used it. That was good customer service.

That said will not travel with them again. Nothing to do with the ships or cruises. Do not like their business practices. We have been on other lines before and after Viking and are leaving on our 22nd river cruise next weekend.

I prefer boards where the Moderator is not participating in that part of the board. For example - Host Joe. It makes it for a more balanced board when the Moderator doesn't have an agenda.

I see no problem with the moderator contributing - though they have a difficult line to watch/tread/balance.

Thank you both. We are going with Viking on our first river cruise in December, Danube Waltz for Christmas Markets.

I didn't like paying in full in Dec. for a cruise 11 months away, but it did give us free air and free cancel for any reason. You can get an extended pay't schedule but the offer may then vary - all you have to do is ask.

They did seem to have to lowest cancellation fee had we booked without the cancel for any reason clause. You don't see many people talking about other lines having a cancellation fee of $250-$500 even with a closer to sail date pay in full date, and I seem to recall the cancellation fee with Viking is $100.

Everyone has their favorite and least favorite lines, but I will take the honest opinions of those that have actually sailed with the company they are praising or bashing. All other opinions will be taken with a grain of salt.

For me Viking customer service has been excellent so far.

I haven't traveled yet on Viking however I am on the Danube Waltz in Oct.

Originally, I had purchased the pre-cruise package and cancelled it without any issues. The money was in my bank account in 5 days.

Blame it on Downton Abbey re-runs but I also booked the Windmill and Tulip tour in March 2017 and the Portugal River of Gold in Nov of 2017. (BTW Awesome deal on the Windmill cruise.)

The Portugal trip I cancelled because of other obligations in Nov.

Viking did charge me a 100$ cancellation fee but gave me 100$ OBC for the my next trip in March.

I will find out about the cruise experience in 12 days.

Brand loyalty is important to me so I hope my experiences are good.

I will be sure to post again when I return from my trip.

Viking isn't for everyone. As you can see from my signature, we do enjoy their cruises but always come away with "hmm, they could have done this better..." and that is why we are always candid in our satisfaction survey comments. I'd rather pass along my thoughts to them directly than airing my negativity in a public forum like this.

I have a career in customer service, hospitality, senior living and food service. It's a perfect storm of entitlement, personal preferences and (sometimes) unreasonable expectations. I think Viking does a great job of balancing the needs of the many with the wants and demands of the few. Are they perfect? No, but I also chalk up some of their missteps on personal staff and not the company as a whole. My own experience shows that you can teach and train and coach until the cows, horses, chickens, ducks and all the other barnyard critters come home, but on any given day, your best employee(s) can have a very bad day--sometimes due to circumstances outside their control.

Reading through the forums for the past few years it seems there are some here who find sport in being highly (and sometimes unreasonably) critical without understanding all the aspects. I get it: you pay a lot of money to cruise and you expect XYZ. No company stays in business long if they don't reasonably deliver on XYZ. I've frankly found myself more frustrated by other passengers who complain non-stop on cruises to be more troublesome than occasional service slips. One gentleman on our last Tulips and Windmills cruise was complaining to anyone who'd listen about how bad the weather was, and why we weren't sailing past that gorgeous large white castle-like structure (the Parliament Building in Budapest) as advertised on TV!!! (Um, Viking can't control the weather in the Netherlands in April and wrong river.) How were either of those Viking's fault?