In Defense of Viking

drcpa

If you're ok with being charged in full by Viking ten months out, even though all the other cruise companies use 90 days, and you feel that the pax on the Viking Freya were treated how you would want to be treated under the same circumstances then you can be confident you made the right choice. Consumers who are researching here on CC have the right to be informed of the differences in customer service between the various lines. There is a pattern with Viking. It is only after the fact, and pax get frustrated and don't get the issue resolved through normal channels do they come on CC.

Yup! I fine with it. I do know that Vantage offers an incentive if you pay in full at least a year in advance. True, its up to each individual if they want the discount, or the ability to pay closer to sail date. I really don't know why people get so freaked out, paying for the trip 10-12 months in advance. Its going to be paid at some point. Its not a deal breaker for me, apparently it is for you and others, and that's okay.

As I said, I have never had an issue with low/high water, a river cruise becoming a bus trip, broken locks, strikes, etc. so I have no experience with dealing with Vikings's customer service, or their ability/inability to fix an issue. All I know is that both of my experiences have been overwhelming positive.

I don't know what happened on the Freya. Somehow I managed to miss that story.

Edited by Rosethorn40

We have been on 4 Viking trips--one good, one excellent and 2 well below par. China was fantastic, the Elbe good(it had enough water when we cruised), Russia terrible and Antwerp to Basel well below what we expected from a river cruise. The crew on all the trips were fantastic. I really think the problem is the office in CA.

We were given a voucher for future travel from our Russia trip, told Viking rep that our travel plans for the next year were firm. She extended the voucher for a year and we used it. That was good customer service.

That said will not travel with them again. Nothing to do with the ships or cruises. Do not like their business practices. We have been on other lines before and after Viking and are leaving on our 22nd river cruise next weekend.

May I ask what was below expectation on the Antwerp/Basel river cruise?

We have been on 4 Viking cruises, our first in the Ukraine was sub-par - but that was due to the itinerary (the ports on the Dnieper really needed some tweaking as to ports/excursions, the Black Sea ports were outstanding) . The food and service on our first cruise was wonderful, and we decided to gamble and book a last minute offer on the Grand European a few years later. Our last 3 river cruises with Viking were wonderful, no complaints as to service or food. The Elbe I thought was outstanding - as we were still on one of the older ships (Clara Schumann) and the longships had been launched that year - the crew really outdid themselves to make the voyage memorable.

We have been on one AMA river cruise but that was Vietnam/Cambodia so cannot really compare apples to apples, so to speak, as we were in SE Asia and not on a European cruise.

Wow--this post generated a lot of response. Travel is a personal thing and this includes cruising. That is the reason why I dislike telling my friends that they would not like a certain place or cruise ship. I have a friend who loves Amsterdam, it's not one of my favorites. She hated St. Petersburg and we loved it. She loves large cruise ships, we dislike anything over 750 passenger capacity. We have always enjoyed our three Viking cruises but we didn't like the Longships as much as their smaller ones. We aren't thrilled with the pay up front policy but we felt that it offered us more perks by doing so. I have read posts that compare Viking with Ford or Chevy and other lines as higher end cars. Think what you may but on all of the Viking cruises I have taken, our fellow passengers were world travellers, well educated and who felt that they would rather spend money by travelling more often than waiting for several years to book their next vacation. Thinking of my last cruise with Viking, everyone I met was either a doctor or a lawyer who shared a multitude of travel experiences with us. One big thing to consider is that because Viking has such a large presence on the rivers, they usually get preferential docking privileges.

SNIP

One big thing to consider is that because Viking has such a large presence on the rivers, they usually get preferential docking privileges.

That's an interesting comment. I have not cruised Viking, and I do not read every thread here. That said, my sense is that Viking's docking locations draw fairly regular complaints from cruisers. Amsterdam, Strasbourg, and Paris (because they don't actually dock in Paris) come up most in my memory. It seems that the size of the ships and the company's comparative newness in the market gets mentioned as the reason.

ETA: off topic - how about Carson?

Edited by CPT Trips

That said, my sense is that Viking's docking locations draw fairly regular complaints from cruisers. Amsterdam, Strasbourg, and Paris (because they don't actually dock in Paris) come up most in my memory.

Sailed Viking last year Paris to Normandy round trip and we were docked in Paris at both the beginning and end. We could walk to everything from the ship, and had a spectacular view of the Eiffel Tower in front of us.

Sailed Viking last year Paris to Normandy round trip and we were docked in Paris at both the beginning and end. We could walk to everything from the ship, and had a spectacular view of the Eiffel Tower in front of us.
I assume you were on one of Viking's old boats (NOT a "longship"). Viking longships have never had permission to dock in downtown Paris, but are religated to Le Pecq. Viking now has only longships on the Seine, so no docking or sailing anywhere near the Eiffel Tower. This has come as a surprise to many who did not read the details. Viking does now show this as a note on the first screen; previously this was disclosed only by clicking through multiple links to find docking locations. There were a lot of unhappy customers who felt deceived despite Viking's legal claim that they had disclosed the information (which they had - on page 4:mad:).

I prefer boards where the moderator steps in when statements are made contrary to facts.

For that matter, why can't a moderator have an opinion? If he/she has experience on a topic, share it. The reader should just take the opinion like anyone else's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have never sailed viking. On the two river cruises I have taken with Uniworld I did notice one thing: while lining up for our tours in the dock there were often Viking tours also lining up. uniworld's group usually had 8 to 12 guests per tour guide. viking was always much more, often 20 or more. I noticed this walking around town and in the various attractions as well.

For that matter, why can't a moderator have an opinion? If he/she has experience on a topic, share it. The reader should just take the opinion like anyone else's.

The moderator of this thread has very little river cruising experience and then only on one line that he continues to hype.

The moderator of this thread has very little river cruising experience and then only on one line that he continues to hype.

I saw nothing in his post that shows him hyping a cruise line.

CJcruzer,

The Antwerp-Basel was our second Viking trip. As Franski always says the CD can make or break a cruise. This one did her best to destroy it. This was her first time as a CD and she tee-heed her way along the river. There were terrible gurgling plumbing noises for most of the trip, but the Chief Engineer claimed nothing was wrong even after 2 levels of the boat couldn't use their bathrooms for most of a day. Our cabin steward was wonderful, the crew great. The Maitre'd had been our waiter on the Elbe and then the hotel director when we went to China. The food was not as good as on the Elbe.

The tours had about 30 people--fortunately we had the vox box or never would had heard the guides. This was the old Viking Sun--not a long boat. When we saw the deck plan in the brochure we were one of the last rooms--wrong schematic. There were about 15 more rooms bringing the pax level to almost 200--way more than we like. Hope this helps

I recently went on my first river cruise and I love cruise critic for hints on what to do and what not to do. One thing I found is people usually are very vocal on why they love one line over the other. What I have found is if you sail on one line they give you an incentive to return so for this reason I will probably stay with Uniworld they were just wonderful. As for Viking I am sure they are great but I wanted an all inclusive ship and Uniworld fit the bill.

Also I agree when you post why not put the good and bad. Also I found that Viking has the largest followers on this forum and most people love them. I like to see the post where people have experience on different lines and compares and tells you what they liked and disliked about each line.

That's an interesting comment. I have not cruised Viking, and I do not read every thread here. That said, my sense is that Viking's docking locations draw fairly regular complaints from cruisers. Amsterdam, Strasbourg, and Paris (because they don't actually dock in Paris) come up most in my memory. It seems that the size of the ships and the company's comparative newness in the market gets mentioned as the reason.

In Budapest, Viking is right downtown. That worked well when we ended our Ams-Budapest sailing with them...AND our recent Vantage Budapest-Bucharest sailing. Vantage used Vikings dock about 100 meters from the Liberty bridge. Extremely convenient.

On our recent Danube cruise, Viking was docked at least 1/2 mile away from the parliament building in Budapest, while Emerald and Scenic were docked directly across from it. What a view!

Edited by dabear

Yes, there are times, I'm sure when other river cruise ships are docked closer to more scenic sites but I think it might depend on when the ship arrives. Viking states that it tries to stagger times of arrival so that it eliminates some rafting, but I recall docking right in the center of town, where we just walked off the boat and onto the street and another time when we did have a phenomenal view of the Parliament building. I guess there are several factors that determine who is docked where. I think that there are pros and cons to all river cruises--the accommodations, shore excursions, food, etc. and again, travel is personal to everyone. I know people who have not liked Uniworld and people who do not like Viking. I have sailed (river cruises) only on Viking and AMA and they are both fine.

I will state at the beginning - we have only done one river cruise and it was on Viking. We have no experience with any other line, so I don't feel qualified to comment on them. I do find it odd that many who have NOT cruised Viking have such strong opinions about it - mostly from reading posts on Cruise Critic. To each his own.

We had a wonderful cruise and I will address some points that have been raised, here and some I've seen elsewhere on these boards.

We did not book Viking for the commercials. I looked at several lines and Viking was the only one that stopped at Kinderdijk - which is what we wanted to do. I also chose them because I liked the look and design of their ships.

From the very first phone call until we stepped off the plane in NY after the cruise, there was just one slight mix up customer service-wise. It was with a mix up in booking on the an optional excursion. They changed the time of the included excursion creating a conflict. I called about it, and although I got it taken care of right away (with a quick refund of the cost), I didn't like the attitude of the rep. I emailed that email address they are always posting to suggest he might need some more training :rolleyes:

They wrote back and had someone call me. They apologized and offered to help if I needed anything further. I didn't. All was copacetic.

I also contacted them on their Facebook page to ask where I might purchase the toiletries they are using now. I have skin allergies, and I didn't want to have to bring my own if it wasn't necessary. One of their reps emailed me to say that they would be happy to send along samples if I gave them my address. I did, and in less than a week I had a full set of the products in a lovely silver bag, with a very nice note. They were fine.

The number of passengers was not a problem for us. We had 185 on our cruise. No area of the ship felt crowded. We were always able to get a seat in the general area where we wanted to sit. Twice I waited in a short line for food. Once we had just come back from an excursion, and they had just opened the buffet. I think there were 6 people ahead of me. The other was the German Night, and I think maybe there were 10 people ahead of me. I could have checked out the other stations they had set up around the ship, but I can wait for 10 people moving along a line. That was the only buffet style dinner.

Quite honestly, I never noticed how many people we had in a tour group. We had the Quietvox receivers, and I just went around with my camera taking photos while I listened to the tour guide.

The tour guides were all great - some more entertaining than others, but all knowledgeable with interesting stories.

We had a prime docking location in Amsterdam from what I could see. We were within an easy walk from the central train station. The only port that I recall an issue with was Cologne. I'd wanted to go to the Chocolate Museum, but the ship was in the opposite direction. Seemed walk-able, but we went back to the Fruh Bier Garden, had lunch instead, then hopped the shuttle bus back.

All the other docking points seemed fine except for ports that weren't on the river, like Heidelberg & Colmar.

We rafted 3 times and only once was our view blocked. We were headed off on an excursion. When we came back the ships had switched and we had our view back.

The food was good to excellent. The staff fabulous all around. The included wine and beer were acceptable. Not the greatest wine I've ever had (I worked for a wine distributor. I have had some very expensive and very good wines) - but far from the worst.

The beds were comfy. I was fine with the space in the cabin. Wasn't wild about their toilet paper holder. That's about all I can say that is less than great.

My husband had his wallet lifted in Strasbourg, and the CD went all out to help us cancel his credit cards on the bus. We ended up only out a few Euros. I had other credit cards and an ATM card so we were fine, but the staff offered to help in a number of ways.

I'm not wild about their pay so far in advance policy, but I can live with it. I have also heard that they will relent on it if you ask. Next time I will ask.

There will be a next time. We have our eye on a Viking Ocean itinerary and a couple of river cruises. Would I try another line? Sure why not if the timing, price and itinerary were right. I looked at Avalon and AMA before we booked. But at this point Viking has the edge with us, both because of this experience, and because as past cruisers we get a discount.

So that's my tale. I felt the need to post our positive experience, because it seems like Viking is always getting slammed. I worked customer service for some time, and I know that dissatisfied customers tend to make the most noise, while the satisfied ones are quiet and just use your product or service again and again.

As always - your mileage may vary.

Kat, glad you had such a great time you will be going again, that says a lot about how you were treated.

On a side note... if it wasn't for Viking's commercials, a lot of people wouldn't even think about river cruising, so in a way, they do deserve some respect, even if you do sail on a different line.

I'm not so sure the recent substantial growth in river cruising is all good.

With limited docking locations and the rate at which the number of ships is growing, something is going to have to give.

My wife and I took our first river cruise with AMA, Rhine Christmas Markets,a few years back. We had a wonderful time and I'll never forget New Years in Amsterdam, martini in hand, watching the fireworks over the city.

Our next river cruise was on Viking, Danube Christmas Markets. While I know some of you would not agree, we pronounced the lines a virtual tie.

Last year was another Viking Christmas Markets cruise (catch a pattern here?) on a different part of the Rhine.

Although we have no idea how we'll exist without Christmas Markets :), we're off to a Viking Provence Cruise in early November.

For those considering Viking I'd like to call out as rubbish what I sometimes see on this Forum. Specifically;

** Viking is the Yugo of river cruises while the other lines are Rolls-Royce and Bentley.

** Viking is the Walmart of river cruises while the other lines are Rodeo Drive, or for my Florida friends, Worth Avenue.

** Tourists book Viking, while travelers sail something else. No sophisticated person would ever be caught dead on a Viking ship.

** Viking provides an impersonal, boilerplate cruise while the other lines are hip, niche, boutique experiences.

** The insulting, scandalous notion that in order to expand Viking is hiring unqualified, inexperienced staff and crew.

** 2 for 1 promotions are some demonic, "never heard of in the industry", Viking only scams.

** Finally, "We've never sailed on Viking and will never sail on Viking" and base that on passenger capacity, cabin size and how low the boat sits in the water. I have found in life that with a few notable exceptions an inch here or there really doesn't make that much difference.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. That's why this Forum is here. And I am not saying that Viking is the hands down winner. But please don't be frightened away from Viking by a vocal minority.

I for one couldn't agree more with you and well done for raising the subject.

I have just returned from a Scenic River Cruise in Bordeaux and will be reviewing it on here when time allows.

With 5 Viking cruises behind me and one booked for 2017 I have never had a bad experience and, pound for pound (dollar for dollar for non Brits) Viking are great value.

My last Viking was on the Hermod along the Rhone...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/11/09/viking-hermod-portraits-of-southern-france/

There was quite an active discussion of what may have actually happened - mechanical vs. human error - and how Viking handled the crisis and the aftermath.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51242829#post51242829

I was there - I think the actual staff who were there did the best they could. Especially given that two of their coworkers were killed in the crash. They handled a very stressful situation as well as they could, but there was no way to make a cruise that suddenly because an impromptu bus tour on the very first night into a positive situation. The "main office" though, I think could have handled things better. They kept assuring us that we all would be contacted "immediately" upon our return to arrange for compensation and that we would be "satisfied". Those that wanted to leave immediately were not told if their trips would be refunded or not. I stayed on for the bus tour and if I had originally signed up for a bus tour, I would say it was pretty good. But I paid for and expected a cruise, not a strictly regimented, inflexible schedule with a no-choice menu, so I was overall disappointed and hoped that we would receive a future cruise to replace the one we did not have. But instead it took Viking two weeks to contact us, they gave us all 50% credit for the cruise fare part only (not air, nothing else) and a voucher for 50% of that same amount that could be applied to a future cruise. More than half the folks I have talked to from that trip are not planning on using that voucher, ever. I think that says something.

Aleeoc I don't think Viking will be much out of pocket especially if the authorities find the two unfortunate crew members responsibly for the accident so they will get an insurance payout.

Solent Richard I will be interested to compare your Viking and Scenic experience. CA