Class action law suit against marketing company giving away free cruise

BillOh

DISCLAIMER - Because of the many unsolicited moderators on this forum (Not meaning the official ones) who will jump on any post just to add to their post count, I'll say I did a search with several terms and didn't find an existing thread. Many of us have mentioned getting calls about winning a free cruise and have seen people come here to ask questions. The story says people were promised ROYAL CARIBBEAN cruises and cruises from other lines. That out of the way I decided to start a thread here. Flame if you must.

Tonight our local news carried a story about a settlement against a particular marketing group and published a website to see if you can be part of the settlement. That website is https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Home.aspx

My home phone and cell phone are on the list. According to the site, for what its worth, I could get $900 for each line if I received 3 calls. Perhaps if I did get $1800, I'll use it for an extra cruise on possibly upgrade to a suite on one. I've been a part of class action suits before and gotten a few bucks here and there. I hope I live long enough to see if whether its 10 cents or the full amount. If I do see something more, I'll come back here.

Here's the link to the existing thread from earlier today that didn't come up in your search.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2533986

That being said, I've been a part of more than 1 class action and you get paid, but it won't be for a while. The hearing for that claim is scheduled for April 2, 2018. I recently (read: two weeks ago) got a settlement for a claim that had it's hearing on January 19, 2016, so it took 18 months to get paid.

Darn. I thought for sure that it was that annoying robocall that started off with a ship's horn sound. We received those repeatedly. But oh well, none of our phone numbers are on their list. Thanks for letting me know that there was a way to check numbers.

The $300 per call sounds good but it could end up being a lot less depending on the number of claims they receive.

9. How much will my payment be?

Each RMG telemarketing call you received will have a maximum value of $300. You may file a claim for up to three calls per telephone number included in the Call Records. This means that your maximum payment amount could be $900 per telephone number. Although payment amounts could be $300-$900, actual payment amounts will be based on the total number of calls and valid Claim Forms received. For example:

• If, after deducting attorneys’ fees and expenses, the incentive award, and settlement administration costs, the amount needed to pay all valid claims is less than the balance of the Settlement Fund, then each Settlement Class Member who submits a valid Claim Form will receive $300 per call for up to three calls, and the remaining funds will be donated cy pres to the National Consumer Law Center (http://www.nclc.org) or other approved recipient.
  • If, after deducting attorneys’ fees and expenses, the incentive award, and settlement administration costs, the amount needed to pay all valid claims is greater than the Settlement Fund Ceiling, then each Settlement Class Member who submits a valid Claim Form will receive a proportionately reduced payment amount, meaning each Settlement Class Member will receive the same reduced payment amount per call for up to three calls.

Forgive the obvious question - I'm from the UK. Why does receiving an unwanted phone call lead to a $300 payout? Don't flame me, I'm not flaming you just trying to understand. It doesn't happen here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How did you find this list to know if your number is on it? I don't see any reference or link to a list of numbers on the website in the OP's post.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. :)

Edited by ramja96

Forgive the obvious question - I'm from the UK. Why does receiving an unwanted phone call lead to a $300 payout? Don't flame me, I'm not flaming you just trying to understand. It doesn't happen here.

If a phone number in the US is on the Do Not Call list (https://www.donotcall.gov/), then it's illegal for telemarketers (with certain exeptions) to call that number.

How did you find this list to know if your number is on it? I don't see any reference or link to a list of numbers on the website in the OP's post.

The OP included the link to the website- if you go there and click on File a Claim you will get prompts to enter your phone number

There's no list of numbers displayed. You have to click on "File a Claim" and enter your phone number. It will tell you if your number is on the list.

Edited by Host Clarea

We are on the list too. It doesn't show how many calls their logs contain, but I remember it being quite a few.

BTW you just gotta love the net for stuff like this. Sitting on our balcony on the Serenade docked in Helsinki - and filling out the form!

Mine are too but get an error when trying to complete the online form.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I saw a couple of choices. I used I HAVE NOT RECEIVED NOTIFICATION BUT WANT TO CHECK IF MY NUMBER IS ON THE LIST. Once I verified it was, I was able to complete the form and print a copy of the claim.

My cell is on the list, but home phone and DW's cell are not. Looking back on call log, I notice that I did not answer this call, auto hang up, and later added it to the blocked senders list.

So I'm not going to participate. Unless it can be proven by lawsuit complainants that the cruise lines in question indeed approved/authorized the use of the marketing firm and then did not honor the "free cruise" when presented, I doubt any $ anywhere along the lines being discussed (and notice it's "up to" not firmly set) will make the final as lawyer fees from the ambulance chasers pushing this, will reap the largest $.

Gonna be 2020 or 2021 before you see your significantly smaller checks.

Here's the link to the existing thread from earlier today that didn't come up in your search.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2533986

That being said, I've been a part of more than 1 class action and you get paid, but it won't be for a while. The hearing for that claim is scheduled for April 2, 2018. I recently (read: two weeks ago) got a settlement for a claim that had it's hearing on January 19, 2016, so it took 18 months to get paid.

I thought about posting there, but I only searched in the Royal forum.

There's no list of numbers displayed. You have to click on "File a Claim" and enter your phone number. It will tell you if your number is on the list.

Exactly, and it's so darn convoluted to make sure you're not a robot. I entered my landline, but I would have to go the process for every cell #. Wonder if it's worth it.

its 300 per line up to 900 dollars

DISCLAIMER - Because of the many unsolicited moderators on this forum (Not meaning the official ones) who will jump on any post just to add to their post count, I'll say I did a search with several terms and didn't find an existing thread. Many of us have mentioned getting calls about winning a free cruise and have seen people come here to ask questions. The story says people were promised ROYAL CARIBBEAN cruises and cruises from other lines. That out of the way I decided to start a thread here. Flame if you must.

Tonight our local news carried a story about a settlement against a particular marketing group and published a website to see if you can be part of the settlement. That website is https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Home.aspx

My home phone and cell phone are on the list. According to the site, for what its worth, I could get $900 for each line if I received 3 calls. Perhaps if I did get $1800, I'll use it for an extra cruise on possibly upgrade to a suite on one. I've been a part of class action suits before and gotten a few bucks here and there. I hope I live long enough to see if whether its 10 cents or the full amount. If I do see something more, I'll come back here.