Class action law suit against marketing company giving away free cruise

BillOh

https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Home.aspx

Go to this link, scroll to the bottom, click file claim, click the 3rd option, check your home phone, previous home phone if you no longer have one & all cell phone numbers.

This is for a class action suit for robo-calls for "free" cruise offers. The settlement will provide up to $300/call ($900 max per #) according to their records and the number of claims ultimately filed.

Could be money for a real "free" cruise later. The hearing isn't until April 2018 so it'll be a year or more before $ issued.

Only my old home phone was on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you finding the list of numbers?

There is no visible list. You have to select the option to file a claim and the first page asks for your phone number to determine if you are part of the class.

The proposed settlement according to the filing:

Each RMG telemarketing call you received will have a maximum value of $300. You may file a claim for up to three calls per telephone number included in the Call Records. This means that your maximum payment amount could be $900 per telephone number. Although payment amounts could be $300-$900, actual payment amounts will be based on the total number of calls and valid Claim Forms received. For example:

• If, after deducting attorneys’ fees and expenses, the incentive award, and settlement administration costs, the amount needed to pay all valid claims is less than the balance of the Settlement Fund, then each Settlement Class Member who submits a valid Claim Form will receive $300 per call for up to three calls, and the remaining funds will be donated cy pres to the National Consumer Law Center (http://www.nclc.org) or other approved recipient.

• If, after deducting attorneys’ fees and expenses, the incentive award, and settlement administration costs, the amount needed to pay all valid claims is greater than the Settlement Fund Ceiling, then each Settlement Class Member who submits a valid Claim Form will receive a proportionately reduced payment amount, meaning each Settlement Class Member will receive the same reduced payment amount per call for up to three calls.

No, it's $300 per call, up to $900 per line (telephone number).

This is correct. $300 per call up to 3 calls ($900) for up to 3 lines. So max of $2700 if you had 3 lines. See terms of settlement in post #27 above.

I remember my husband complaining frequently about that call, but his number was not on the list. I remember answering it once, only because he whined about it so much (he is kind of a "get off my lawn, you kids" old man). My number was not on the list. I kind of wonder if they did not manage to destroy some of the evidence of their robo calling? I don't know if Tmobile still lets me look at those old records, but might be worth a try for cruise money!

This is correct. $300 per call up to 3 calls ($900) for up to 3 lines. So max of $2700 if you had 3 lines. See terms of settlement in post #27 above.

Only in your dreams. Someday maybe a check that will cover a cocktail on the next cruise.

Only in your dreams. Someday maybe a check that will cover a cocktail on the next cruise.

I am not saying everyone will receive the max amount. I am saying that is the max amount anyone is entitled to.

I don't count on receiving a dime. If I get a check for $0.29 it's $0.29 more than I had. It took 15 seconds to click a couple of boxes to claim my portion [emoji12].

Maybe the majority will think it's not worth the trouble. Works for me. Maybe my $0.29 check will double. Maybe I'll get lucky and get enough for a free drink! Or maybe the impossible could happen and I get $900.

To me it was worth the time to make my claim irregardless of the amount I receive.

I forget which class action suit it was, but I recently for a check for about $30. And it was for about 30 cents worth of over charging. Works for me.

BTW, if the amount collected is more than the amount to settle all claims, guess who gets that money.

BTW, if the amount collected is more than the amount to settle all claims, guess who gets that money.

If you mean the attorney's you've got it backwards. There will be a lump sum settlement (7-12.5 million in this case), the lawyers get their share+expenses, and the rest is divided up for the masses to "settle the claims".

Darn. I thought for sure that it was that annoying robocall that started off with a ship's horn sound. We received those repeatedly. But oh well, none of our phone numbers are on their list. Thanks for letting me know that there was a way to check numbers.

Yep, we got several of those calls as well. Our numbers are not on the list. :confused:

Yep, we got several of those calls as well. Our numbers are not on the list. :confused:

I still get calls to the same number that's on the list. It's probably a different company that hasn't been caught yet.

If a phone number in the US is on the Do Not Call list (https://www.donotcall.gov/), then it's illegal for telemarketers (with certain exeptions) to call that number.

We have a similar list in the UK (The Telephone Preference Service ) but it seems to be widely ignored. If I got a pound for every call I received, I could afford to live on a cruise ship

We have a similar list in the UK (The Telephone Preference Service ) but it seems to be widely ignored. If I got a pound for every call I received, I could afford to live on a cruise ship

Pretty much same thing here. Political calls are exempt (imagine that) and also calls from companies who have a business relationship, like a credit card company.

If you mean the attorney's you've got it backwards. There will be a lump sum settlement (7-12.5 million in this case), the lawyers get their share+expenses, and the rest is divided up for the masses to "settle the claims".

Not according to the "Basic Information" in the Class Notice. The maximum is $300 per call. To use completely made up figures, if there were 7 people in the class who each got 1 call and there were 7 million dollars available after all expenses/fees/anything else that must be paid, each person would get $300. Not 1 million. Not all class action suits are like this (some of them don't have a "maximum" and in my fictitious example those 7 people would get 1 million each) but according to the official documents, the maximum is $300 per call, $900 per phone number, and $2,700 per person.

My cell is on the list, but home phone and DW's cell are not. Looking back on call log, I notice that I did not answer this call, auto hang up, and later added it to the blocked senders list.

So I'm not going to participate. Unless it can be proven by lawsuit complainants that the cruise lines in question indeed approved/authorized the use of the marketing firm and then did not honor the "free cruise" when presented, I doubt any $ anywhere along the lines being discussed (and notice it's "up to" not firmly set) will make the final as lawyer fees from the ambulance chasers pushing this, will reap the largest $.

Gonna be 2020 or 2021 before you see your significantly smaller checks.

But now they have all 3 of your phone numbers. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

its 300 per line up to 900 dollars

That's not the way I read it. $300 per call up to 3 calls per line. Me 2 lines. Yes, I don't realistically expect this, but probably in 20 or 21 a surprise check that might be lunch at McDonalds will arrive and make the day for my feeble old mind.

I figure some day a couple of years from now I will get a check in the mail for $1.57 and be wondering what the heck that is for:)

That's what happened to me a couple of years back, but this is the first time I saw any kind of damage amout listed prior to filing. was part of one based on people who had bought Compact Discs from some music chain. Years later is showed up with enough information to remind me what it was, and I really think it was $1.57 :)

Edited by BillOh
Humidity change

I still get calls to the same number that's on the list. It's probably a different company that hasn't been caught yet.

The only one I'm currently getting is from "Card Services" "Your account is fine, but we can help lower your APR" What I've noticed lately is these companies are spoofing their caller ID to be a local call in the recipient's area to increase the chances of getting someone to answer.

When I stay home at work, I occasionally get calls from India telling me they are Windows Support and I have a virus. When I am in the mood and have time, I have a lot of fun with those people. Its more fun than leaving snarky remarks here!