Live Nieuw Amsterdam Inaugural 2016 Cruise to Alaska

Crew News

This thread accompanies the Nieuw Amsterdam's first cruise to Alaska. It is started with the Pacific Coastal embarkation from San Diego to allow those joining in Vancouver to get answers before they board, so feel free to join the discussion.

We are ready with our five senses, cruise experience on both the Nieuw Amsterdam and in Alaska, a rating system of 1 - 10, an infrared thermometer to test food and climate, tape measure to size verandahs, digital camera to record ship's condition, scanner to capture menus/On Locations, and our willingness to help CC members who will follow.

Reporting the names of senior crew, entertainers, PG waiters, bar staff are planned. Hopefully, activities and impressions, as well as HAL changes since our cruise last November will be provided for each of the following 19 days.

Our doorbell, duct tape, LED tea lights, tablecloth, list of sunrise and sunsets, all current menus to be updated, New Mexico state flag for sailaways, camera gear, seasonal clothing, jacket w/tie for Gala Nights, and new waterproof GoreTek hiking shoes are packed. We're ready to go.

Our planning included a dinner tonight at Anthony's Restaurant by the pier for 25 CC members boarding in San Diego with us. The Meet & Greet on Tuesday afternoon (1 - 3) has 60 + attendees scheduled with more on the Panama Canal leg invited. What started with planning a private tour with "Elements of Alaska" to Caribou Crossing for 12 during our first week in Alaska has blossomed into a M&G and then MDR lunch for 25 on our first sea day. With our May 7's roll call not very active, several other members have planned an informal Piano Bar meeting on the first sea day.

We look forward to seeing CC cruise friends on board, searching for former ship's crew members, getting answers, and experiencing the beauty of Alaska from our aft stateroom.

To those who will join us and to those who will follow, Bon Voyage.

So happy you are doing this thread, thanks! A friend (who is a first time cruiser) and I will be on the May 28 sailing. DH and I did the same route on the Zuiderdam in 2011 - he's staying home this time. I look forward to my first time on the NA and I will enjoy all your comments, I'm sure. Hope you enjoy every minute!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I look forward to your review. I am especially interested in the embarkation process in San Diego. Recently Kazu posted it was bad when they boarded for their cruise to the South Pacific. We will be doing the Mexican

Riviera in the fall and it will be our first time in San Diego.

Marcia

I look forward to your review. I am especially interested in the embarkation process in San Diego. Recently Kazu posted it was bad when they boarded for their cruise to the South Pacific. We will be doing the Mexican

Riviera in the fall and it will be our first time in San Diego.

Marcia

San Diego embarkation seems to be hit and miss. We have embarked there more than five times and have never had a real problem. The only glitch we encountered once, was when the debarkation was slow so the porters would not accept luggage for the embarking folks. We just had the Hampton Inn driver take us back to the hotel for an hour.

We have never had a problem with debarkation either although tales of late departing in San Diego have been reported a lot on these boards. I think either it is just the luck of the draw and so far we have been lucky although there is always a first time.

Following this thread with great interest & anticipation. My husband and I are booked on the May 28 Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise and, as first time cruisers, we look forward to learning so much. Thank you & have a great trip.

Roger, you know I will be following this thread with great interest. I was wondering who our Captain, HM and Cruise Director will be and I know you will get all the important info. For all following Roger's thread, seriously, he really does take all of this stuff with them on a cruise. He takes a lot of his time to give us all that information we would like to have as soon as he possibly can.

Roger, I can't wait to see the MDR dinner menu for Juneau when you get there next week. We were thinking about eating at Tamarind that night. Just want to see what we would be missing in the MDR that night.

You and Joanie have a great time and I'll see ya soon!

Diane

Edited by legalslave

Bookmarked this thread. We will sail on May 7 :)

This made me laugh, thank you

We are ready with our five senses, cruise experience on both the Nieuw Amsterdam and in Alaska, a rating system of 1 - 10, an infrared thermometer to test food and climate, tape measure to size verandahs, digital camera to record ship's condition, scanner to capture menus/On Locations, and our willingness to help CC members who will follow.

Reporting the names of senior crew, entertainers, PG waiters, bar staff are planned. Hopefully, activities and impressions, as well as HAL changes since our cruise last November will be provided for each of the following 19 days.

Our doorbell, duct tape, LED tea lights, tablecloth, list of sunrise and sunsets, all current menus to be updated, New Mexico state flag for sailaways, camera gear, seasonal clothing, jacket w/tie for Gala Nights, and new waterproof GoreTek hiking shoes are packed. We're ready to go.

You have a great sense of humor. Very funny thank you :D

From your list you missed pedometer, fitbit, paper towels, ziploc bags, stir sticks. There is a fridge so no cooler required :)

Will look forward to all your reports. Hope to see you on the ship! :)

Have a great cruise! We're bummed that we had to cancel.

I know what you mean- I saw Roger's post and was so sad.

So.....11 night Mexico from Vancouver to San Diego in October?

I've already sent an email to find out about that spiffy new "Elite Beverage Program" and if they will let us upgrade our SBC

BTW- if you see a bottle of Freakshow Cabernet by Michael David in your travels give it a try- it's verrrry nice! We tried it at a restaurant and went home with a case :D

The day started with our incoming flight being delayed for nearly two hours and touchdown in San Diego 30 minutes before our scheduled dinner at Anthony's. Joanie was dropped at the front door of the restaurant at the stroke of 7:00 PM thanks to the efforts of a super helpful wheelchair pusher/skycap getting us to the taxi stand with all of our luggage/carry-ons and a very committed taxi driver to make the 7:00 o'clock start. The taxi driver agreed to be at the hotel entrance at 10:45 for transport to the terminal in the morning.

As I type this, I marvel at the timeline: moving to the gate, being the last off of the plane to get a wheelchair, luggage pickup, two elevators and a bridge to cross to the taxi stand, loading seven pieces of luggage, and then maneuvering through traffic in just 30 minutes. The stars were in truly a perfect alignment.

With Joanie in place, the taxi proceeded to the hotel check-in and then I walked five blocks downhill to Anthony's. Shared appetizers were already ordered, so I only missed the introductions. Those at our table enjoyed the food. Sadly, Anthony's will be moving away from the pier so we will have to find another nearby seafood restaurant for next year.

The nearby Rite-Aid completed our liquid needs (sodas and mouthwash) as well munchie needs with some Nacho Doritos for stateroom consumption.

Weather tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the upper 60's for sail-away.

More tomorrow about Embarkation Day.

The day started with our incoming flight being delayed for nearly two hours and touchdown in San Diego 30 minutes before our scheduled dinner at Anthony's. Joanie was dropped at the front door of the restaurant at the stroke of 7:00 PM thanks to the efforts of a super helpful wheelchair pusher/skycap getting us to the taxi stand with all of our luggage/carry-ons and a very committed taxi driver to make the 7:00 o'clock start. The taxi driver agreed to be at the hotel entrance at 10:45 for transport to the terminal in the morning.

As I type this, I marvel at the timeline: moving to the gate, being the last off of the plane to get a wheelchair, luggage pickup, two elevators and a bridge to cross to the taxi stand, loading seven pieces of luggage, and then maneuvering through traffic in just 30 minutes. The stars were in truly a perfect alignment.

With Joanie in place, the taxi proceeded to the hotel check-in and then I walked five blocks downhill to Anthony's. Shared appetizers were already ordered, so I only missed the introductions. Those at our table enjoyed the food. Sadly, Anthony's will be moving away from the pier so we will have to find another nearby seafood restaurant for next year.

The nearby Rite-Aid completed our liquid needs (sodas and mouthwash) as well munchie needs with some Nacho Doritos for stateroom consumption.

Weather tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the upper 60's for sail-away.

More tomorrow about Embarkation Day.

Evidently Brigantine Restaurant will be replacing Anthony's is a new building. Brigantine is good but I will miss seeing Anthony's there- have been going there since I was a kid.

Evidently Brigantine Restaurant will be replacing Anthony's is a new building. Brigantine is good but I will miss seeing Anthony's there- have been going there since I was a kid.

I'm with you on that Frank. I do also like the Brigantine but Anthony's is part of San Diego's history for the past many years. By the way, how the heck are you guys doing? We will be on the May 7th sailing. Again, I will be in a different suite than my DH. Sure do hope to sail with you and Loren again.

Diane

Loving this thread. Will be on the Vancouver to Alaska NA voyage, end of September! We LIVE in San Diego county and this is news about Anthony's and the Brigantine. Would like to suggest the Fish Market on the other side of the US Midway museum. (Which I recommend seeing if in town long enough)

Cannot wait for the next installment and agree that our traveling friend has an EXCELLENT sense of humor!!

Our planning included a dinner tonight at Anthony's Restaurant by the pier for 25 CC members boarding in San Diego with us.

I'm sorry I couldn't make it to dinner... life happens. :cool: Hope you got your soda.

Fair winds and following seas, my friends! :)