How's the Trivia?

SixOneTwo

There is usually one music trivia per night, and there are two or three other general or themed trivias per day. We enjoy them.

On longer cruises, especially crossings, they will have progressive trivia

We enjoyed trivia on our last RCCL cruise. Along with the general morning and evening trivia, there were music themed ones, one with a movie theme, science-themed, etc. Usually the music-themed trivia tied into the entertainment for the night. For example on our cruise the night they had the Beatles tribute band there was a Beatles trivia session.

We actually ended up winning one of the Tri-Bond sessions.

The prizes have become nonsensical... key chains, highlighters and pens. It costs them less than a dollar for thirty minutes of people's time. RCCL, this is a joke. Give away a few hats or something that costs more than 19 cents!

The prizes have become nonsensical... key chains, highlighters and pens. It costs them less than a dollar for thirty minutes of people's time. RCCL, this is a joke. Give away a few hats or something that costs more than 19 cents!

Those are the expensive prizes! All I see now are zipper pulls.:rolleyes:

On our Serenade 11-night itinerary there was progressive trivia. It varied in difficulty depending on the day, but there were two extremely difficult days (scores across the board were pretty low) and two easier days (scores were much higher). I will say that as a detail oriented and competitive person I found some of the trivia quite frustrating. The rules weren't consistent, and sometimes the person leading the trivia would say one thing and then later say something different, costing you points. Or the question would be kind of vague, and asking for clarification either wasn't helpful or resulted in misinformation. This happened to us several times and with different people leading the trivia. The first time I was pretty mad, but after the second time I just let it go and enjoyed my vacation.

On our Serenade 11-night itinerary there was progressive trivia. It varied in difficulty depending on the day, but there were two extremely difficult days (scores across the board were pretty low) and two easier days (scores were much higher). I will say that as a detail oriented and competitive person I found some of the trivia quite frustrating. The rules weren't consistent, and sometimes the person leading the trivia would say one thing and then later say something different, costing you points. Or the question would be kind of vague, and asking for clarification either wasn't helpful or resulted in misinformation. This happened to us several times and with different people leading the trivia. The first time I was pretty mad, but after the second time I just let it go and enjoyed my vacation.

Agreed. Though I enjoy playing, I gave up being too serious when I experienced this question and answer:

Who were the first two presidents on postage stamps? George Washington and Ben Franklin, of course!

Agreed. Though I enjoy playing, I gave up being too serious when I experienced this question and answer:

Who were the first two presidents on postage stamps? George Washington and Ben Franklin, of course!

We played trivia one time where the question was what is the longest river in Africa and the answer was Tom Brady. Everyone was telling the cruise lady that it was obviously a typo but she was adamant that since it was on the sheet, it was correct lol

We always play trivia on all our many cruises, not as good as it used to be but still lots of fun, my biggest complaint was on some cruises person in charge doesn't really speak English well and had lots of trouble even reading the clues ( Brilliance last September)

I play for the fun, not the prizes. Even the host makes fun of the prizes. It's a vacation....have fun and leave the competitiveness at home!

I've done general trivia on RCI when the questions were relatively easy and when they were extremely hard. On our last cruise, our team actually only got 4 out of 20 questions right and I play a lot of trivia. The winning team only answered 7 correctly.

We played trivia one time where the question was what is the longest river in Africa and the answer was Tom Brady. Everyone was telling the cruise lady that it was obviously a typo but she was adamant that since it was on the sheet, it was correct lol

I understand the frustration, but obviously no one got it right, so no harm, no foul. :p

We love the trivia games and music (name that tune) types as well. It's a great way to meet other people and to keep your mind busy. There are some people that take it really seriously, but we just play for fun. It's one of our favorite things to do on a cruise so I hope they don't cut them like they have other programs.

Here's a funny story. One time we did an "Elvis" music trivia game. They, basically, played the intro to each song and they mostly all sounded the same. We guessed "Jailhouse Rock" on each one (just to be funny) and we actually won because we got the most (one) right. Everyone else missed them all. We were not that proud, but happily took a bow as everyone applauded while laughing hysterically. It is usually a ton of fun. Of course, every once in a while you get a staff person who is so difficult to understand that you wish they'd come with closed captioning.

Tom

We really love trivia and are pretty competitive. How is it on RCCL? We'll be on a Caribbean itinerary on Rhapsody.

Since you are competitive, may I suggest you take a fork from the dining room with you to trivia and watch for millennials reaching for their phones (usually under the table) Poke them with said fork and say, "Stop it". Only once did I hear the host say, "Put away your devices. "

If your new to Royal Carribean, avoid the Crown and Anchor trivia. Having sailed on Royal for 10 years now I thought I might be good at it, but some of the questions were a bit extra trivial. "What was the name of the conference room on deck 3 of Legend of the Seas"

In Royal's defense, they may be afraid fights might break out for worthwhile prizes. Ever seen someone hurt at Quest for an even more inexpensive prize? When I was on Oasis we were doing trivia in the Schooner bar and as the MC announced the question, someone on the Rising Tide yelled out the answer, I thought one guy was going to chase him down and beat him.

On our last cruise, our team actually only got 4 out of 20 questions right and I play a lot of trivia. The winning team only answered 7 correctly.

FYI, The Royal crew members assigned to trivia make up the questions themselves and you can tell google is there best friend. I think they get extra internet time if they are trivia hosts. Occasionally they get things wrong by looking at outdated links.

Appreciate all of the great replies. It sounds like there are plenty of other cruisers who enjoy trivia as much as we do. As a couple, we have diverse bases of knowledge, so we tend to do well. Music and movies are a specialty, so I'm glad to hear these are common themes. As for the prizes, at this point we give away our pens, luggage tags, etc to other players. Bragging rights are good enough for us.

Thanks for the advice on the fork. Cheating on trivia is not cool, and I've heard it causes cancer later in life!

Appreciate all of the great replies. It sounds like there are plenty of other cruisers who enjoy trivia as much as we do. As a couple, we have diverse bases of knowledge, so we tend to do well. Music and movies are a specialty, so I'm glad to hear these are common themes. As for the prizes, at this point we give away our pens, luggage tags, etc to other players. Bragging rights are good enough for us.Thanks for the advice on the fork. Cheating on trivia is not cool, and I've heard it causes cancer later in life!

On progressive trivia it works best to have a diverse team. American, Canadian, British, and of varying age groups.

FYI, The Royal crew members assigned to trivia make up the questions themselves and you can tell google is there best friend. I think they get extra internet time if they are trivia hosts. Occasionally they get things wrong by looking at outdated links.

Maybe it varies by ship. We became friends with a member of the Cruise Director's staff on a recent cruise who told us that they have a book of trivia to choose from and that its up to the person running trivia for that session to pick one.

I always try to do the progressive triva and any other trivia that fit in with whatever we have planned when we cruise.

I have met so many great people and always have a great time. The prizes are meaningless and while its nice to get a W its not even close to the main reason people play IMO.

I particularly enjoyed the rock quiz trivia that they had on Radiance when it was in Australia this year. It was a mixture of scrambled star caricatures, finish the lyric, songs played backwards, album covers etc. Great fun.

We love the trivia, especially on sea days. I'm a trivia nut, (even won some cash on TV quiz games) last year on Navigator we won a few times on the bounce and one rude passenger suggested I should be barred from taking part " as I kept winning" !!

This reminds me of a few incidents, as trivia is the only thing I'm any good at!

On P&O Ventura one woman said it was no fun playing, 'cos I got 20 out of 20 on my own! I said she needed to read more!!

On a Celeb b2b, we did Buenos Aries to Valparaiso and stayed on for the repo to FLL. As this was a very popular repo cruise, over 350 people did the b2b, so lots of people did trivia on both cruises. One trivia team changed their name on the 2nd cruise to 'Beat Simon'...not that I was getting paranoid!

Bearing in mind the 'blood sport' nature of some trivias (especially progressives), we did a transpacific on Princess. Lots of teams and it got very heated. So much so that the Aussie guy running it decided to give up as he couldn't take the critisism. (Bear in mind, as has been said that the staff are just reading the answers they are given and don't have the knowledge to argue the rights and wrongs of a particular question...not a critisism, just a fact). So Matt from England took over. His opening words were "I am right. If you argue, I will take points away because I can"...and he did! Soon shut everyone up! He also did me a favour. As most of the passengers were Americans, the questions were very US biased. EG Whats the state flower of Kansas? (or some such question). So he put in a couple of British questions. First one was 'Which two English counties border Scotland?". We were the only team to get that one right!!!

Its all good clean fun though. You just have to remember, you are not going to win a cruise!

Simon