Drones on cruises?

smilin jack

I have a DJI Phantom 3 professional quadcopter that takes 4k videos and still pictures. I am planning to take it on our Amazon cruise in November.

Has anybody done this before? I am an old guy, and a very responsible drone operator...I flew airplanes for over 40 years....

Just curious of others experience on cruises.

Edited by smilin jack

I have a DJI Phantom 3 professional quadcopter that takes 4k videos and still pictures. I am planning to take it on our Amazon cruise in November.

Has anybody done this before? I am an old guy, and a very responsible drone operator...I flew airplanes for over 40 years....

Just curious of others experience on cruises.

Don't think so

Google "are drones allowed on cruise ships"

(yes I know Google is not the source of all information but have a read)

My first reaction to this is " heaven forfend." Hard to imagine a launch / retrieval site that wouldn't be considered a risk to other pax.

Same reaction.

Keep those things in your own back yard where they do not interfere with other people's privacy

I am envisioning the sight of a dozen people flying their drones on board ...

I can't believe any cruise line would permit it, but I've been surprised before.

Mura

Then maybe you should check the laws in the places where you'll be going ashore. I would think that in plenty of places flying them is not legal ... asking here probably won't get you an answer. I'm not even sure if asking Oceania would give you an answer.

Mura

For onshore...why even ask?

it is just a flying camera...

Onboard, it would bring it down with a pool towel. :p:p

"It is just a flying camera"... Tell that to the police in parts of Washington DC.

There ARE places they are not allowed.

I'm not sure a tourist bringing one here from another country would know the air spaces they are not allowed here...

So, the OP would do best with checking with the authorities on where he plans to fly this thing.

Asking here is completely useless.

I'm not sure a tourist bringing one here from another country would know the air spaces they are not allowed here...

Well, "Smilin Jack" claims to be some kind of responsible adult, with some credentials on knowing how to use the toy.

...so I am sure he would not fly it into the Sultantate, or some other official place. :p

Asking first usually always means trouble. Better to say: "oops"

In many countries, there are severe penalties for filming or taking pictures of certain facilities and/or structures. When we were in Egypt, armed guards made sure we did not take pictures of the Aswan Dam and the associated hydro facilities.

Be very careful where you fly your drone.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by neepawa

The same question was recently asked by a passenger going on a cruise in the Caribbean - I think it was a Royal Caribbean ship. He got permission to bring the drone aboard, but had to give the remote to ship security. After the cruise he showed pictures he had taken on one of the islands.

Before the cruise, the reaction on that cc board was : Oh no, we don't want any invasion of privacy! People on cc were very upset.

On our Riviera cruise last September from Barcelona to Istanbul, a passenger had a quad copter drone on board and used it at several ports to get flyover views of the ship and the area. saw it in operation as the ship was docked in Kusadasi. He had a couple local gendarmerie watching it and asking him friendly questions about it. Don't know if he had to get O's permission or not and I never saw hovering outside our stateroom. :D

On our Riviera cruise last September from Barcelona to Istanbul, a passenger had a quad copter drone on board and used it at several ports to get flyover views of the ship and the area. saw it in operation as the ship was docked in Kusadasi. He had a couple local gendarmerie watching it and asking him friendly questions about it. Don't know if he had to get O's permission or not and I never saw hovering outside our stateroom. :D

I could actually have been someone from the Oceania advertising department -- a lot less expensive than hiring helicopters for those gorgeous fleet photos...

I could actually have been someone from the Oceania advertising department -- a lot less expensive than hiring helicopters for those gorgeous fleet photos...

No, it was a fellow passenger.

• 1 year later...

Major update regarding Royal Caribbean...they just changed their policy to permit passengers to board with drone photography equipment. The gear will be stored on board, and released to the passenger at port calls. Passengers are solely responsible for local regulations. Each country is different, study up before going on a drone photography expedition!

We just returned from a RC cruise in Norway, was missing the ability to get some aerial photography. I wrote Royal Caribbean, and they very kindly replied that they just changed their policy, their website will reflect the change soon.