Do You Prefer S or M class?

Luvcrusn

We've always sailed M class (before that whatever class Mercury was in) and have thoroughly enjoyed all of our cruises. Our next two scheduled cruises are S class. I know we'll have a great time, since we love to cruise, but I'm just wondering if I'll like the bigger ships as well. What are your thoughts about the advantages/disadvantages of the larger ships?

We like both classes but for different reasons. Advantages of S class are more specialty restaurant choices and Persian Gardens has window view and they have the Meditation room (or whatever it is called). Disadvantage of S class is that it feels more crowded to us and only has two elevator stacks instead of three.

Not huge differences, IMHO. But the buffet layout is better on "S" class, while the extra elevator/lift locations on "M" class help.

Stuart

Seems counter intuitive to have less elevator banks in bigger ships with more passenger:confused:

My husband and I just returned from a transatlantic on Harmony of the Seas. It was our first time on this class of ship, and although we had a great time, I doubt we'll sail on a ship this size again.

I've only cruised once with X, on an M class ship, but have 2 cruises on Reflection in 2017. For those who have sailed both lines, size wise, is an S class similar to Freedom class on RC? How many passengers on an S class?

Not huge differences, IMHO. But the buffet layout is better on "S" class, while the extra elevator/lift locations on "M" class help.

Stuart

Agreed. We always book aft cabins and enjoy a little snack before retiring for the night. That aft stair/elevator bank makes for a quick trip up to OVC on M-class. On the other hand, schlepping all the way to mid-ship on S-class helps burn those calories off. :D

Also, the verandas have a half-mile overhang on M-class in the back. S-class has a foot.

Stuart

I have only been on "S" class in the aft rooms and is quite a walk to get to the elevators ! I don't mind that much since allittle exercise is good. We have booked on M class on Infinity and wondered if there were elevator or even stairs closer to the aft of the boat???

We've always sailed M class (before that whatever class Mercury was in) and have thoroughly enjoyed all of our cruises. Our next two scheduled cruises are S class. I know we'll have a great time, since we love to cruise, but I'm just wondering if I'll like the bigger ships as well. What are your thoughts about the advantages/disadvantages of the larger ships?

If I remember right it was Century Class with 3 ships. Century, Mercury and Galaxy.

We loved the Mercury ship. The M Class ships are very nice. But with less specialty restaurants and a small Michael's Club. We will be back on Millennium next month.

The S Class ships I put into 2 Classes. 3 have glassblowing. I have heard talk that the glass blowing might go away for more restaurant space. The other 2 are S Class, but Silhouette has The Porch and The Lawn Club Grill. Reflection added an additional deck with more Aqua cabins and Aqua suites which are now just suites.

If the cruise is about getting away and getting nice weather I'm going to say S Class. If it is for other reasons it does not really matter they are all very nice.

Seems counter intuitive to have less elevator banks in bigger ships with more passenger:confused:

S class elev bank is in a better spot. Last cruise on Inf the elev was on opp side of the cabin and we had to walk around the computer cntr or take a shortcut thru a hallway used for service carts...next cruise we are on the elev side..much easier.

I love the S class! It has so much style over the M class, but then I like newer and not older. The aft is my favorite cabin spot; it does have a long walk, but the exercise is very much needed. However, if you forget something, it may seem even longer.

As someone above mentioned, the layout of the OVC is so much better than on an M class, unless you are a fan of going in circles...only way to reach both sides and ends of the food areas. We were on the Millie last May, after all S class sailings, so we really noticed a big difference in the food, condition of furniture and ambiance. Of course, that is just my opinion...I also enjoy suites more than balcony cabins, but that is a no brainer...if they weren't so expensive[emoji844]

I do have to say that the entire staff that we met were wonderful...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love the S class! It has so much style over the M class, but then I like newer and not older. The aft is my favorite cabin spot; it does have a long walk, but the exercise is very much needed. However, if you forget something, it may seem even longer.

As someone above mentioned, the layout of the OVC is so much better than on an M class, unless you are a fan of going in circles...only way to reach both sides and ends of the food areas. We were on the Millie last May, after all S class sailings, so we really noticed a big difference in the food, condition of furniture and ambiance. Of course, that is just my opinion...I also enjoy suites more than balcony cabins, but that is a no brainer...if they weren't so expensive[emoji844]

I do have to say that the entire staff that we met were wonderful on the Millie too...

Surprised no one has mentioned the M class solarium pool. Far superior to the vanilla S class pool IMHO. I kinda like the dark PG. The layout of the locker rooms on M is also much better. More room by far. You barely have space to change your mind in the cubby corner they installed on S class.

Still, we sail S class mostly as the itineraries meet our desires. It's all cruising, people. It's all good.

Edited by marieps

M class for me. S class is too big and noisy. For example they allow loud electric bands play in the atrium in the evening with the sound from this leaking into the the whole atrium area including the cocktail bar and Cafe Bacio not to mention the library and games room. The band plays just in front of the Customer Service desk making any discussion with the staff there very difficult. Never sail S class again.

We have sailed on both classes of ships. Actually it is the itinerary that dictates which ship we will be choosing for the voyage.

We prefer the smaller size of m-class ships. Our last experience was on the Millie in Alaska. Although tough conditions for all marine vessels, we thought she was maintained well & the crew & staff provided excellent service. We really enjoy the rendezvous lounge & entertainment provided. Also close to the MDR should we need to meet up with fellow passengers before dinner. Seems there are more public areas on these ships & places to get away from traffic using the interior spaces. Using tendered ports, we feel there is a real advantage with a much smaller passenger count.

The S-class ships are very nice & modern. I do have a problem with the crowded public areas & the best music being played in the Atrium. Difficult to use this area of the ship with very limited seating & a large crowd of people standing or sitting on the steps. Services levels seem to be slower, however the crew is very pleasant.

2 trips on the Silhouette & 1 on the Reflection, with a trip next year on the Solstice. Several on the Millie, Infinity, & Summit. Again port intensive destinations are the priority. Food, entertainment, fellow passengers, & staff are equal to us on either type of vessel.

The newer ship are more modern & have lots of glitter, perhaps the outside areas get the nod on the S-class ships. If the weather is poor outside, & you want to be out of your cabin, you will fight for space on the limited interiors of these vessels.

Our experiences with Celebrity on all cruises have been very positive.

Guess it depends if the ship is the destination or the ports of call.

Happy Travels, John

Same number of elevators, ship is broken up into thirds instead of quarters. I have bad legs and it's not a problem to me. The back elevators are not midship if you look at a diagram

Edited by dkjretired

We love the fact that with one cruise line we can have two different experiences...We prefer the wider range of speciality restaurants on the S class (sad to see the Normandie style restaurants go...). Prefer the Michael's Club shape and size on M class, Persian Gardens on S class, indoor pool on M class, light and flow on S class, comfortable ambiance on M class......

So nice to have choices and variety!

Agreed. We always book aft cabins and enjoy a little snack before retiring for the night. That aft stair/elevator bank makes for a quick trip up to OVC on M-class. On the other hand, schlepping all the way to mid-ship on S-class helps burn those calories off. :D

Also, the verandas have a half-mile overhang on M-class in the back. S-class has a foot.

Sorry - by overhang are you talking size of balcony or canopy?

The S class cabins are more attractive looking, designed for appearance,

but the older M-class cabins are the winners by far for basic functionality, prioritizing passenger comfort and convenience over sleek design.

You'll find some vote for the S class, and some vote for the M class, so you'll really have to try both and decide for yourself. I'm in the S class camp hands-down. I find they have more intimate spots for relaxing around the ship, both inside and out, and the buffet has a much better lay out. In fact, I'm holding ff on doing the Panama Canal in the hopes that an S class (or maybe an Edge?) runs that itinerary in the not-too-distant future.

Surprised no one has mentioned the M class solarium pool. Far superior to the vanilla S class pool IMHO. I kinda like the dark PG. The layout of the locker rooms on M is also much better. More room by far. You barely have space to change your mind in the cubby corner they installed on S class.

Still, we sail S class mostly as the itineraries meet our desires. It's all cruising, people. It's all good.

Would have agreed til we recently sailed on Infinity. Keeping the solarium pool at 105 deg, same as hot tubs was horrid!

I just have to smile. I walk in the solarium to maybe get something from the AquaSpa Cafe or just walk through to get to the Sky Lounge. All I want to do is leave. I just want them to open up the lid and get some fresh air inside the solarium. It is great that we all dont like the same things.

I very much enjoy the ambiance of the Rendezvous on M class for pre dinner drinks. Usually book balcony cabins and prefer drawer arrangement (more of them) in M Class, especially the nightstands (hope they bring them back on Edge). Don't care for those over-the-bed cupboards so much on S Class. Really like the bathroom on S class, but that's where the space from the cabin went. Also prefer the arms on the M class sofas vs. those armless things. The aft elevators on M Class are why the OVC can't be arranged like the S Class. Radiance-class RCI ships are same tonnage as M class but without aft elevators so the buffets have S style layout. Because of the elevator locations, on S class, I try to book mid-ship (hump); on M class, I go for something near the aft elevators. Sadly, the wonderful aft cabins on M class have gotten too rich for my budget, but if you can get one, they're amazing. Or better yet, a corner FV on M class on an Alaska cruise. Awesome, in the true sense of the word. Reflection is my least favorite because of the additional 200 pax and the chopped off Sky Lounge. Of course, my next longer cruise is going to be on the Reflection. ;)