Taking food off cruise ship in Alaska

CHSGrl

To the best of my knowledge, taking food off ships is a no-no in every port. Some ports, like Australia, are stricter than most. In Alaska, one can take pre-packaged food onboard and take that off in the various ports. Pre-packaged food like individually wrapped granola bars, cookies, nuts, etc. If one needs a sandwich for a tour over a meal, then you're probably best to stop at a Subway or other such fast food place on the way to, or during, the tour.

No -- you can not take food off the ship.

But you can pack snack crackers in your luggage before you leave home and take them on your excursion.

You mentioned an "all day shore excursion" -- isn't lunch being provided for you? All the all day excursions we have taken included lunch.

We took a granddaughter with severe food allergies on an Alaska cruise. We embarked with packaged, sealed foods safe for her to eat on shore, knowing that we would not be allowed to take anything not sealed off the ship.

About all you can snag off the Lido is a box of cereal or some crackers or melba toasts that are sealed 2 to a package.

We took a granddaughter with severe food allergies on an Alaska cruise. We embarked with packaged, sealed foods safe for her to eat on shore, knowing that we would not be allowed to take anything not sealed off the ship.

About all you can snag off the Lido is a box of cereal or some crackers or melba toasts that are sealed 2 to a package.

Seems you did everything right! :D

I take protein bars, mixed nuts etc. I need to eat every few hours or my blood sugar gets low and I prefer to eat healthy which is not always an option to find easily off the ship. I have taken an apple or banana from the ship. One time in Mexico they had a dog and he smelled it immediately and I had to toss it. This embarrassed my hubby but it really wasn't a big deal. Happy travels :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Open faced sandwich's, leftover Baked Alaska's and such are a no-no.

Sealed, gourmet rye toasts, gourmet saltine crackers and gourmet frosted flaked /multi grain cereals absconded from the Lido should be okay.

However, enjoying the local pier 'wagon' vendors & eateries on the pier (& along the way) might be much more interesting. Hey, your on vacation!

Purchasing some smoked salmon while touring & enjoying it aboard the tour bus to consume should also 'open' up space around your seat(s) if the tour is less then full.

Just a thought.

Have a great cruise.

Be well.

Bob:)

Does anyone know the rules regarding this? Can you take a sandwich of the ship for an early departure all day shore excursion?

You can only take packaged food off the ship. USDA rules. I've seen sniffer dogs and pile of bananas that had to be surrendered. (With that said, I have read about people sneaking food off - with the same kind of glee that people express when they are able to smuggle alcohol on board.)

Boxed cereal from the Lido or granola bars/jerky from home are the kids of officially permitted food stuffs that can be taken ashore.

I take protein bars, mixed nuts etc. I need to eat every few hours or my blood sugar gets low and I prefer to eat healthy which is not always an option to find easily off the ship. I have taken an apple or banana from the ship. One time in Mexico they had a dog and he smelled it immediately and I had to toss it. This embarrassed my hubby but it really wasn't a big deal. Happy travels :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It IS a big deal --------to Mexico. They wouldn't have dogs present to sniff out agricultural contraband if it weren't important to the security of their food industry. The introduction of foreign food pests can be devastating to another country.

Interestingly enough, the Mexican agriculture K-9s and/or "open your bag" physical inspection seem to only be a regular fixture in Cabo San Lucas on the tender pier. Never seen them/seen it done in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Hualtulco, Puerto Chiappas, Cozumel and Costa Maya

The three times we have docked in Huatulco the dogs have been on the pier sniffing the bags.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

We have been in Huatulco the same three times and there were definitely dogs on the pier as we left the ship sniffing for food.

No enforcement on our recent Baltics, Norway and Scotland cruise we saw fellow cruisers eating their sandwiches that they made in the morning in the Lido. Some were even feeding the pigeons beside a sign that said "please do not feed the pigeons". What is wrong with people and why so defiant. People - please savour the flavours in the beautiful countries that you are visiting!

I just got back from a cruise that stopped at Cozumel and the dogs were there. First time I have ever seen them.

Thanks, they must be expanding their program. The Mexicans also deploy narcotics and explosives detection K-9s on the various piers/docks at times. Seen them at Cabo, Costa Maya and Hualtulcoo

Thanks for all the info. We are going on an all day (10 hour) boat excursion to Tracy Arm. We will not have any time to get food on shore as we are already cutting it close time wise. While the excursion receives great reviews, the sandwiches you can purchase on board not so much.