LIVE!! FROM THE EQUINOX PRESIDENT's Cruise August 27th, 2017 - ChicagoPaul

chicagopaul

Cheers Cruise Critic! I hope everyone has been well as it has been a few months since we have been active on here. I will be "live blogging" from our upcoming cruise on August 27th, 8nt President's cruise on the Equinox. While this will be our 12th Celebrity cruise, and 10th on a S-Class ship this will be our first time on the Equinox. While it is similar to others we are excited to check it out. Most importantly, however, we are looking forward to seeing what a "President's Cruise" is like as this will be our first!

For those of you who are not familiar with me, my name is Paul and I am from Chicago (as if you couldn't tell from my username). My partner is Edward. We're in our early 30s and in the past few years we've been cruising a few times a year (roughly 30 days or so a year). We're loyal to Celebrity so we can be a little biased at times but we will do our best to be objective.

We leave early tomorrow (Saturday) morning flying Southwest into FLL and then a cab to Miami. We're staying at the JW Marriott so we will be be close to the port.

My Blog Plan

I've written a few live blogs in the past and I'd like to think that each time I write one I get a little better. It is difficult, however, to keep up with the blog as you get into the cruise, have too much fun, and drink too much :o but I will do my best. My plan is to post at least 10 photos a day to either recap the previous day or post as the day goes along. I've learned this from a few professional travel bloggers and I think it is a good way to give a minimum amount of content. One thing I will post every day first thing in the morning, will be photos of that day's Daily.

As I take photos I'll likely be posting them instantly to Instagram so if you're on there, feel free to follow along. My instagram handle is PaulKBlackburn (my full name). If you see an instagram profile main photo of a very good looking guy in a suit ;p and lots of martini pictures in the profile, then that is me!

Questions!!!!! Ask Away!

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like. I will do my best to figure out the answer and if you post the question I guarantee you I'll see it. I'll be checking the blog regularly as I'm laying by the pool or drinking at the bar.

Here is a link to a quick video I posted this afternoon basically explaining the above. If you happen to be on this cruise please stop by and say hi! We usually don't go to a lot of the CC events on the ship but will try to make it to the Sail Away and I'll always be at the Martini Bar in the evening.

Lastly, for any of you in the path of hurricane Harvey I wish you all the best. Stay safe!!!

Edited by chicagopaul
Forgot content

I'm sure you will highlight all the extra goodness that comes with a President's Cruise [of which I know nothing, but am eager to learn]. But please also mention any downsides of the President's presence -- I have heard rumors that there are lots of VIP guests who get VIP events that remove venues from everyone else. The bottom line question is: do the benefits of a President's Cruise outweigh the downsides for non-VIP [esp., if you can tell, for non-suite, non-Elite] passengers.

Always enjoy your blogs Paul and I too am interested in how the President's cruise is different from others.

If there is a Q&A session, could you ask about the web site? I'm sure there will be plenty of others with the same Q, so maybe if you could report.

I'm sure you will highlight all the extra goodness that comes with a President's Cruise [of which I know nothing, but am eager to learn]. But please also mention any downsides of the President's presence -- I have heard rumors that there are lots of VIP guests who get VIP events that remove venues from everyone else. The bottom line question is: do the benefits of a President's Cruise outweigh the downsides for non-VIP [esp., if you can tell, for non-suite, non-Elite] passengers.

Excellent question. This time around we are staying in concierge. We were keeping an eye on suite pricing but one concern we had was the number of VIPs utilizing Michaels Club and Luminae. Hopefully none of the other venues are shut down much but I'll definitely report back.

UpwardUK I'll definitely let you know what I hear on the website. I'm sure that will be something everyone will be asking about!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

UpwardUK I'll definitely let you know what I hear on the website. I'm sure that will be something everyone will be asking about!

Some detail if you need it:

I have been exploring Excursions for our Baltic cruise next summer.

This morning I tried on my Lap Top, but only managed to log in and then I was given general Excursions, not specific to our sailing.

I did better on my iPad, but was locked out when I tried to go back to a previous page. The site is now locked for 20 minutes for 'Security Reasons.'

There also doesn't seem to be any way to buy OBC via Gift section!

Thanks.

Hi Paul,

Good luck and have fun on your cruise.

We (Terry and I) are also addicted to cruising and Celebrity is our cruise line of choice. (See our signature)

Looking forward to your postings on your cruise.

Hope the weather cooperates with your cruise.

Have a safe cruise.

Bob

Hi Paul. We are also on this cruise with you. My hubby is John and I am Wanda. We also don't do the CC events but will be at sail away and you will find us frequenting the adult beverage venues. ;) Looking forward to your blog. See you soon! Wanda

We will also be cruising with you! Thank you for taking the time to post the 10 pictures a day. So excited someone with more experience in reporting on a trip will be on the same cruise DH and I are on.

Looking forward to running into you on the cruise.

I think you will love the Equinox!

Curious to hear what your take on the President's Cruise is, I've always been curious as to if it's worth it, and what may be better, or worse.

I still haven't gotten on the Equinox, which I've wanted to get on, as it seems to be the ship that Celebrity likes to "test" new ideas on, like the pub instead of cellar masters, or the slushy bar by the pool. I'm curious to hear what you both think of it.

Safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've heard... that the VIPs on board clog up Luminae, and that they don't do much mingling with the passengers. One crew member called Lisa Lutoff "The Queen"... kind of sad.

Yeah sad that it's true and the crew recognizes it. I've been calling her Queen Lisa for almost two years.

We flew out this morning on WN2338 (Southwest). We had a 6:45am flight. While I hate getting up at 4am to catch a flight it's worth it. We left our home at 4:45 and we're through security (thank you TSA precheck) by 5:20. The bars were open! But I waited until the flight for our first drink.

We always fly Southwest domestically and always purchase early bird check in. This time we received A23/24. Plus there was no business select and only a couple pre boards so we had o problem grabbing exit row seats. That's the best thing about SWA. If you're like As you'll likely grab front row or exit

The flight left exactly on time. Flight crew was attentive and friendly. Two screw drivers each in lieu of coffee and we were feeling well. Flight time from MDW to FLL is listed around 2hr and 50m but it's always quicker with a good tail wind. 2hr and 25 was the actual flight quite. Taxi time took only a few minutes and we were airborne. The weather was perfect to fly out of Chicago today.

We landed ahead of schedule with no issues. Only minor turbulence.

25bdc3e7d9015c82a5c3c92cc7ca061d.jpg

Above a photo of my first drink on the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk