No more upsells?

arkansastraveler

Maybe they are going back to not overbooking as much as they have been in recent yrs

It would be very costly for some cruises to do pay off people to move over or off

After seeing people posting of the big pay days they got for moving I am not surprised they are cutting back with upsells

jmo

I was just told by my TA that oceania is no longer offering upsells on the longer voyages. Has any one else been told that? Lots of vacant cabins on our sailing.

I've heard that they are revamping their Upsell parameters based on a passengers historical use of the upsell, so that may be a part of what your TA is saying.

If customers start to believe that they can count on being upsold, it's naturally going to depress full price purchases, and that is the Revenue Departments' worst nightmare.

I've been told they are cutting back/ limiting the number of "guarantees" that they are offering for cruises. As Stan and Jim point out, it wouldn't surprise me at all for them to be doing computer modeling on the parameters of how upsells are offered.

It's kind of like the airlines, people booking first class in another name. Knowing first class

wouldn't be filled - hoping for an upgrade or upsell. No you have non-refundable tickets. And the better airlines don't give up those seats.

I've heard that they are revamping their Upsell parameters based on a passengers historical use of the upsell, so that may be a part of what your TA is saying.

If customers start to believe that they can count on being upsold, it's naturally going to depress full price purchases, and that is the Revenue Departments' worst nightmare.

totally logical to make one price, stick to it and If you want a better cabin then pay the going published rate. This reminds me of the days when many cruises had a fixed price and that was it. If you could count on regular up sells for a huge discount who would book the higher cabin . Take away the upsells and there is less moving around less paper work, less administration and your inventory is plainly visible.

We booked our up coming 2017 cruise back in October of 2015. There was never any guarantee, only Wait List or available. The price of each category has risen $300.00 per person on every stateroom since we booked.

We booked our up coming 2017 cruise back in October of 2015. There was never any guarantee, only Wait List or available. The price of each category has risen $300.00 per person on every stateroom since we booked.

thats good marketing establish that the closer you buy to the sailing the higher. Airlines now do this, and if you use frequent flyer points less than some 30 days or 3 weeks out its a +100 extra fee. Motivate people to act in the now rather than the later, Too have a rising schedule of cancel fees . May get off to a slow start but after a set pattern becomes the norm.. profits should rise.

As I stated in a different post..since Bob Binder has become presiden many things will change for the better..a lot of people have booked just to get the buy off..that will no longer work..Jancruz1

Hope they stick to this. Better for all of us in the long run.

While I think any of these changes are for the long term good, I doubt that Bob Binder is that much behind them. FDR runs the show, has always ran the show, and any changes Bob B. might facilitate will only be done with FDR's blessings and approval. FDR may now have additional responsibilities, but PCH's operation is still his "Baby". ;)

. FDR runs the show, has always ran the show, and any changes Bob B. might facilitate will only be done with FDR's blessings and approval. ....but PCH's operation is still his "Baby". ;)

There is one significant change from the past - he now needs the approval of the NCL BoD and shareholders for any major changes. Did not have to worry about that so much before - Oceania really was HIS baby. Now he is more more like a Godfather or a guardian - albeit with a very strong interest and powerful voice :D.

The BoD of NCL will not - or should not - let him play favorites among his other "children" in the NCL family at the expense of others.

That said, there is no doubt that he has the best interest of Oceania in his mind within his powers.

Edited by Paulchili

I am sure Bob Binder also feels O was his baby as well

Maybe they finally realized that you cannot treat Oceania the same as NCL ...passenger wise :eek:

JMO

Excellent point. But the goal is to eliminate these up-sells and down-sells as they contribute to profitability in a negative way.

Excellent point. But the goal is to eliminate these up-sells and down-sells as they contribute to profitability in a negative way.

I agree

Many NCL regulars wait for the sell offs where many Oceania regulars book early

In the past couple of years the games they play are annoying to me

I liked to book early & know this was the best deal not see the deal change in 6mths or 10 mths to something better

I am sure the TA's also find this annoying I know I would if in their shoes

JMO though

We used to book 18mts out but no longer do that

I do hope the culture changes. Tired of seeing obsurd starting prices. Having to constantly monitor prices then re-faring

Only issue with my end of 2017 o cruise is my desired category is a waitlist. Price and perks are perfect

Just unable to secure the room. Guess ill keep on monitoring the market :( well atleast I'm number 1 on the waitlist :)

totally logical to make one price, stick to it and If you want a better cabin then pay the going published rate. This reminds me of the days when many cruises had a fixed price and that was it. If you could count on regular up sells for a huge discount who would book the higher cabin . Take away the upsells and there is less moving around less paper work, less administration and your inventory is plainly visible.

I agree!

I book the cabin that I want, but if an upsell comes along, I'll certainly consider it.

Robert

I agree with the last poster. We book the cabin that we want and if an upsell comes along, we jump on it. It does not make sense to me to stop all upsells. The lowest categories tend to sell out first (and sometimes the very top categories). If the lower categories are booked and people want to book them, IMO, it makes more sense to offer an upsell to someone that already paid for the lower category and will pay a percentage of the full cost of the upgraded category than to turn down passengers that want to book.

From a monetary standpoint, the lower category cabin is being paid for twice and, instead of an upper category remaining recant, it also brings in revenue. All of this assumes that the upsells happen within 2-4 weeks prior to the cruise.

Upsells will never be entirely eliminated, but let's try to remember that their purpose is not so much to fill empty cabins, as it is to maximise revenue

If the Line notices a pattern of purchase, and let's face it they track everything and anything in this electronic age, eventually it is going to become somebodies job to get those cabins sold to somebody at nearer to the full price.

It's not all doom and gloom though, that effort to sell may result in Onboard amenities being ratcheted upward-

So don't worry, be happy