Prescription medicines

What does the container label prove about what is actually in the container? The only way to actually know what the pills are is to look up the pill description in the PDR. You can put any pill in any marked container.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What does the container label prove about what is actually in the container? The only way to actually know what the pills are is to look up the pill description in the PDR. You can put any pill in any marked container.

Yes, absolutely.

So, with the generic forms of Aspirin and Tylenol there is no name on the pills: does that mean there could be a problem taking the generic ones on a cruise?

Should someone's medication be subject to some sort of special inspection, right you are. They can be easily looked up for size, shape and color to see if they match the RX, though it would take chemical analysis to determine their actual contents.

My mom used only the weekly pill box and the pill box was taken from her. She had to travel without her pills. Now she travels with the months supply in the original bottles and an empty weekly box she fills back up the first night.

While flying within the USA, I know of no reason for how or why this would happen if copies (or scans) of the prescriptions were taken. There is no way I would let any TSA agent take my meds (in a monthly planner). I would, (quite loudly if necessary) ask whether the agent was prepared to cover the cost of a hospital stay or a wrongful death lawsuit should something happen because of his unwarranted actions. I know of no requirement to carry original bottles (which could easily be refilled.) A recommendation is not a requirement and it is not "up to the TSA agent." I believe a TSA supervisor would realize the confiscation of meds (barring some other extenuating circumstances) was unnecessary.

In many, many years of traveling, I have never had a problem bringing (nonnarcotic) meds in a weekly or monthly planner. And we commonly take three to eight month cruises where I take all of my required meds for the entire cruise.

Scott & Karen

Hi 78232. I had your dilemma. I was traveling with lots of prescription bottles that took up too much carry on bag space but I wanted to carry the meds in the original pharmacy packaging. I live in the US. After reading advice on cruise critic, I found an independent pharmacy that "blister packs" my medicine. Each notebook paper size sheet, less than an inch thick, has seven strips of four blisters, that's four doses a day for a week. Several pills or vitamins can fit in each blister. The blister pack is labeled with my name and info, the pharmacy's name and info, and the name, strength, and a description of each pill. This would vary based on insurance plan, but for me the copay for my meds packaged like this is no more than the copay for big bottles at a big chain pharmacy. I found my pharmacy google searching "blister pack pharmacy" or something like that. I've taken several trips since packing my meds this way. I find it very convenient.

Vicki

My pharmacy weill blister pack for me but I don'tt find them all that mucfh of a space saver in my carry on.

I have a friend who is retired TSA Supervisor and he has always said to take the bottles. You never know when you're going to run into a "by the book" agent who insists on bottles or will insist on seeing a written prescription for each drug. I take a lot of meds and my carry on is essentially devoted to meds. I don't want to get to the airport and have a problem with TSA so I just take the bottles along with an empty pill organizer for use when I'm on the ship.

Well in Boston while getting on a NCL ship to Bermuda the pillbox was confiscated. It was disposed of and she sailed for 6 days (day #1 was cancelled due to rough seas)without medication. Now she and the rest of us have learned our lesson. Never travel with out original bottles or the printed paper work from the pharmacy.

Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH is now taking many prescription medicines but is healthy enough to work and travel. This brings up the question..Do we have to carry all the bottles of medicine or can I put them in the weekly pill boxes and carry a list of the contents. There are no narcotics and one controlled drug (for anxiety). I would be willing to take the anxiety med in a bottle if necessary.

On our last cruise, I just brought enough medication for the duration of our trip. Never had any one question or ask. I carry them with my carry-ons thru the airport and ship.

Danny

I believe in Murphy's Law so I always carry prescription meds in their original containers. If I am carrying a controlled substance I have a letter from my doctor stating its purpose. It's no big deal and I have no interest in trying to loudly bluster my way through TSA if challenged for not having prescription drugs properly packaged for travel. Number 1--I want to fly that day, and number 2---a public scene is very déclassé.

As far as vitamins, minerals etc. are concerned, I just put them in a labelled Baggie as they are in Costco sized containers at home. If taken by an overzealous TSA agent they are easily replaced before the cruise.

I believe in Murphy's Law so I always carry prescription meds in their original containers. If I am carrying a controlled substance I have a letter from my doctor stating its purpose. It's no big deal and I have no interest in trying to loudly bluster my way through TSA if challenged for not having prescription drugs properly packaged for travel. Number 1--I want to fly that day, and number 2---a public scene is very déclassé.

As far as vitamins, minerals etc. are concerned, I just put them in a labelled Baggie as they are in Costco sized containers at home. If taken by an overzealous TSA agent they are easily replaced before the cruise.

Pretty much my approach. Never had TSA or CBP question or even look at my meds or supplements but I'd rather be prepared than surprised. Might say I find it interesting and strange that Frechcanrican had a friend's meds taken away at what sounds like the cruise terminal. Have never cruised out of Boston or on NCL so my US embarkation experience is Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, Galveston, and San Juan. As I recall security at those ports have been port authority "officers" or contract security. Makes me wonder about under what authority would they would have to take meds regardless of packaging.

Edited by Randyk47

We take the same approach as Randy and sapper1. I actually called TSA to inquire last time as I did have a special medication that I needed for my elbow if the pain got too bad. I wanted to make sure there would be no issue.

I was told that if the prescription is in the prescription bottle there would be no issue and, they recommended that for all prescriptions.

Anyone have problems with vitamins/supplements (such as fish oil) being taken, either in the original packaging or in a pill box?

I always take my supps in weekly pill boxes - fish oil, red yeast rice, multivitamins, etc as well as my workout supps - creatine, pre-workout, protein powders, etc.

Have never had any issues.....

And speaking of OTC Rx drug purchases, we have never seen anything better than the pharmacy close to the dock in Valetta, Malta.

After working for years in the international pharma industry, just a reminder that if you do buy meds in a foreign country, just a reminder to double check the med name and dose as well as the manufacturer as sorry to say that not all meds are equal, especially generics made by a small foreign company. The larger and more advanced the country, the better the regulations for meds is a good rule of thumb.

Anyone have problems with vitamins/supplements (such as fish oil) being taken, either in the original packaging or in a pill box?

Yes to problems when NOT in original packaging from TSA. Bought small size bottles of each (I know, it costs a lot more per pill) and just refill them for each trip.

After working for years in the international pharma industry, just a reminder that if you do buy meds in a foreign country, just a reminder to double check the med name and dose as well as the manufacturer as sorry to say that not all meds are equal, especially generics made by a small foreign company. The larger and more advanced the country, the better the regulations for meds is a good rule of thumb.

Rule of thumb also - BigPharm always likes to undermine the cheaper generic drugs. The disparity between drug prices in the US and same and similar drugs in all other industrialized countries with far higher health quality outcomes shocks the conscience.

But the advice is proper: buyer beware. No personal concerns myself buying Rx drugs outside the US -or contact lenses in Portugal. IMHO, Valetta, Malta is a class act country.

I just got my global entry and part of the TSA spiel was about taking pills in original bottles. I said prescription pills, right? And he said everything-aspirin, vitamins Etc. I had never heard that and never done it. What is everyone's experience with that?

In our second medical bag, all over-the-counter medications stay in their original bottles/containers -- which includes vitamins, Tylenol, Aleve, etc.

We drive to the port. My husband takes a dozen medications along with insulin injection and an MS drug he injects.

We never take the original bottles, we carry on all meds and have never been questions.

Were they to take away his meds for the duration of the cruise, they would have a very ill man to take care of.

When sailing on another line, I packed the original bottles and never was asked for them.

We drive to the port. My husband takes a dozen medications along with insulin injection and an MS drug he injects.

We never take the original bottles, we carry on all meds and have never been questions.

Were they to take away his meds for the duration of the cruise, they would have a very ill man to take care of.

When sailing on another line, I packed the original bottles and never was asked for them.

Our concern is TSA going from Canada to the U.S., etc.

Personally if I were driving to the port, I would be doing the same as you ;)

Think about it this way: is the imperative to save space greater than the risk of having the medications confiscated by TSA or other officials? As others mentioned, pharmacies are typically happy to arrange smaller bottles/relabeling. I travel with an epi pen, in addition to some medications in pill form, and have been asked to produce a prescription or original label (as the label is typically on the large box, not the pen itself). I'd always rather be prepared and perhaps mildly inconvenienced rather than wind up scrambling to get something last minute close to port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On the TSA site it says that pills do not have to be in their original containers.

Actually TSA has nothing to do with pills since that is the domain of customs.

If a TSA agent was questioning about pills I'd show them the printout I carry of the Rx's as well as printout of those TSA rules and if necessary I'd ask for a supervisor.

We take longer than a week trips and I put each day's allotment of 15 pills into a 2x3 ziplock and put all the ziplocks into a larger ziplock. Even though we also include a printout of the prescriptions, iin all of our flights, including ones to Europe, New Zealand, australia, and Malaysia we've never been questioned about the pill baggies. And that includes being chosen randomly for search by customs officials in three countries.

Edited by NMLady

I'm another who always carries meds in their original pharmacy containers and brings along my weekly pill boxes to be filled once aboard. The additional space taken up in my carry on is insignificant, and the small Eagle Creek packing cube I keep them in is a perfect size to hold them all. I now keep them in the cube permanently, even at home, and take it out once a week to fill my pill boxes.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned previously in this thread is the fact that the majority of HAL passengers are of an age and appearance such that a bunch of loose pills in a baggie are not likely to trigger more than a quick question or two as to their nature. The same baggie full of pills in the hands of a member some other segments of society would result in an automatic referral to secondary for a thorough examination and questioning.

I'm confused by the conflicting experiences.

I take a lot of supplements. At least 25 a day. There are reasons for all of them. I put each day's supplements in those little snack baggies---24 baggies in all. Will I have problems with these in boarding the ship??

We are driving to the cruise to Seattle, taking a bus to Vancouver, and not flying anywhere until the END of the cruise/land tour.

I take a lot of supplements. At least 25 a day. There are reasons for all of them. I put each day's supplements in those little snack baggies---24 baggies in all. Will I have problems with these in boarding the ship??

We are driving to the cruise to Seattle, taking a bus to Vancouver, and not flying anywhere until the END of the cruise/land tour.

I believe the topic is about prescription medications. I have no idea about the rules on supplements.

As far as I'm concerned - being a rule follower and having very informed advice on good authority - we carry the original containers for prescription meds. What everyone else does is up to them. Those who say "I've never had a problem" etc etc are simply stating their experience and good luck in not encountering an official who strictly applies the rules. If you don't have to fly, I don't believe you have to be concerned about it.

Rules for supplements are the same as rules for prescription meds. Being in a long term relationship with a flight attendant as well as having more than a few friends working for the TSA, I know that meds don't have to be in their original containers. Flying overseas is a different matter depending on destination. But yes - there are overzealous agents who like to try and flaunt authority

You should have no concerns about the drugs when you are boarding the ship.

You will have to do a land crossing at the border when entering Canada, and another screening when you fly home. There is potential for a problem at those two points. It's up to you whether or not you want to take the risk.

If the bottles are too big, you can purchase a smaller size, then save those smaller bottles for next time. I do that with both prescription and OTC meds.