Upcharge for Ocean Blue Restaurant-Getaway

Seminole1975

Some of you may know this, but I did not realize this: there is an uncharge of $15 pp for Ocean Blue, even if you are in the Haven. I am making reservations today as I am 100 days out from sailing.

So....I did not book Ocean Blue, I booked Le Bistro and Cagney's and will figure out the other restaurant later. It is not the money per se, but the principal of it. Is this an example that many have spoke of of NCL's nickel and diming?

Some of you may know this, but I did not realize this: there is an uncharge of $15 pp for Ocean Blue, even if you are in the Haven. I am making reservations today as I am 100 days out from sailing.

So....I did not book Ocean Blue, I booked Le Bistro and Cagney's and will figure out the other restaurant later. It is not the money per se, but the principal of it. Is this an example that many have spoke of of NCL's nickel and diming?

No, it is not. Restaurant prices and surcharges are all right there on the NCL dining guide for all to see. The information is also in the T/C's for the SDP promo. Nothing is hidden as long as you do your basic research.

Eat there if you choose, or not. Freestyle.

No, it is not. Restaurant prices and surcharges are all right there on the NCL dining guide for all to see. The information is also in the T/C's for the SDP promo. Nothing is hidden as long as you do your basic research.

Eat there if you choose, or not. Freestyle.

I saw it in the fine print. I just don't agree with it. My opinion and I probably will not eat there. And there is a lot of fine print. I do my research. I basically just wanted to give everyone a "heads up" to not make dinner ressies until they read all the fine print. And like I said, people may already know this, but I did not. And if it is in the fine print, then it is not nickel and diming? OK. (I also thought I would be exempt from charges if I was in the Haven, my bad.)

Edited by Seminole1975

I saw it in the fine print. I just don't agree with it. My opinion and I probably will not eat there. And there is a lot of fine print. I do my research. I basically just wanted to give everyone a "heads up" to not make dinner ressies until they read all the fine print. And like I said, people may already know this, but I did not. And if it is in the fine print, then it is not nickel and diming? OK. (I also thought I would be exempt from charges if I was in the Haven, my bad.)

We're all entitled to our opinions on what is and what isn't nickel and diming. It's a premium quality restaurant with premium ingredients being served, so a higher price is assigned. Not any different from what restaurants on land do with their pricing.

To me "nickel and diming" is when you get stuck with charges you have no choice but to pay. That most certainly isn't the case here.

Edited by ColeThornton

We're all entitled to our opinions on what is and what isn't nickel and diming. It's a premium quality restaurant with premium ingredients being served, so a higher price is assigned. Not any different from what restaurants on land do with their pricing.

To me "nickel and diming" is when you get stuck with charges you have to choice but to pay. That most certainly isn't the case here.

Thank you for that clarification. Makes perfect sense to me-if you do not have a choice, it is nickel and diming. Gotcha.

We actually ate there last year and were not impressed either, but our son wants to eat there. (We have great seafood restaurants in Alabama too!) Last year when I made reservations on line, I was not charged extra. I was not asked to pay anything. Today, they asked me to pay something in advance, that is why I was so surprised. (All we had to pay for last year was for our son, who works on the ship). We liked Cagney's the best. We also ate at Teppanyaki and the Italian place as well as the Haven.

I agree, a ship that nice should have very good food. DH and I aren't likely to sail Norwegian again but if we did, we'd get the dining package.

Sent from my VS990 using Forums mobile app

I like NCL, but it's a mass market cruiseline, not a luxury line. For the price, I'm happy with Applebees quality, and our last cruise was better than that. I'm definitely not expecting a fine dining experience.

I live in N. Georgia, so not alot of seafood up here and was so excited to be able to specifically book a seafood restaurant while on board the Getaway last year. Was very disappointed in the food choices and the amount that was given. Would not eat there again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Some of you may know this, but I did not realize this: there is an uncharge of $15 pp for Ocean Blue, even if you are in the Haven. I am making reservations today as I am 100 days out from sailing. So....I did not book Ocean Blue, I booked Le Bistro and Cagney's and will figure out the other restaurant later. It is not the money per se, but the principal of it. Is this an example that many have spoke of of NCL's nickel and diming?

No nickle and dime. The terms and conditions are very specific, if you take the time to read them. No secrets. No, "I got to the front of the line and found out about a charge".

Specialty dining packages are honored in Cagney's Steakhouse, Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki and Le Bistro and La Cuccina across the fleet. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Ocean Blue restaurant, for the following per person upcharges:

• Ocean Blue - $15 USD
  • Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats
  • Sushi -$7 USD
  • Raw Bar - $7 USD (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)

As someone stated above, what is considered nickel and diming can be different based on the person.

For instance, if one has been cruising for a while, where in the past all of the food was included in the price of the fare, then having you PAY EXTRA (since you have already paid for the meal) because it is a "specialty restaurant," PLUS an up-charge PLUS gratuities (and you cannot order double entrees), then one can consider this policy as nickel and diming.

When I first began cruising, I would never have considered ever spending extra money to dine on a cruise ship.

On my upcoming cruise (first with NCL) I am upgrading for two of the three meals I am receiving on the dining package. I read the fine print, and was aware of the added costs. Although not happy about it, I am on vacation and willing to pay for the little extras. Unfortunately, NCL (and all the other cruise lines) expect passengers like me to "upgrade" so they can make additional profit.

I was on the Getaway haven two years ago when it was the udp not Sdp as it is now. At that time ocean blue had an upcharge I think it was $15 then also. The only thing that has now changed with the haven is the additional gratuities for the Sdp and ubp.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So True! If there is one theme going thru all these threads it is: do your research which includes READING THE FINE PRINT!!!

Actually the cruise contract I printed out when I finished registering for the cruise would be a good document for insomniacs! Same with the travel insurance document and all of it's greater than 20 pages! It will put you right to sleep! haha!

Edited by Seminole1975

We loved Ocean Blue. Ate there twice on our last GA sailing and DH likes Getaway better than Escape just for that restaurant. Entire experience was elevated. Exceptional food and wait teams. We dinned in their waterfront seating and it was quite special. Also not to miss sea day ocean Blue windows service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I think NCL nickels and dimes the hell out us but in this instance, no.

Ocean Blue is a Zakarian-relationship/outfit. He is a premium chef, probably uses premium ingredients and surely commands a premium percentage so I'm sure it's just a matter of NCL getting the numbers they need for the relationship to continue.

On that note, I won't go there either because of the uncharge,

I think NCL nickels and dimes the hell out us but in this instance, no.

Ocean Blue is a Zakarian-relationship/outfit. He is a premium chef, probably uses premium ingredients and surely commands a premium percentage so I'm sure it's just a matter of NCL getting the numbers they need for the relationship to continue.

On that note, I won't go there either because of the uncharge,

Actually, Zakarian and NCL split ways in March 2015. At this point it is just another specialty restaurant on NCL. But I'm with you - I won't go either because of the extra upcharge. I'm perfectly content to continue to use all of my SDP credits at Le Bistro and dine the rest of the time at the Haven restaurant. :)

(I also thought I would be exempt from charges if I was in the Haven, my bad.)

Im intrigued as to why you thought this. As you have a suite, I assume you have the promo SDP, but that is all it is. There are no specific rules for the Haven that I know of that give better terms than anyone else gets when it comes to eating outside of the Haven dining room.

Or am I missing something?

I basically just wanted to give everyone a "heads up" to not make dinner ressies until they read all the fine print.

I assume that you found out about the uncharge because the system asked you to pay it. That's how it's worked in the past, for example when we booked Cirque.

In that case, if people are booking online then they should have the same problem as you and will be asked to pay the uncharge at the time. They shouldn't end up booking it and then find out afterwards.

Booking onboard is different though, as you don't pay upfront then. I don't know when or how the uncharge is communicated in this situation.

Not only must you, as a Haven guest, pay $15 pp for Ocean Blue, I hate to tell you that hand maidens will not be strewing rose petals in front of you as you embark. That is regardless if you hadn't read they wouldn't.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought this thread had gone to bed. I was not charged extra for Ocean Blue last year. When I made my Speciality Dining reservations on my NCL page, I was not asked to pay anything extra. I would not have paid it then nor would my SIL who was making ressies with me. DB lives on the gulf coast and I live near enough the the gulf coast where we get fabulous seafood.

This year I had charges in my shopping cart for Ocean Blue. That took me by surprise as I had mentioned earlier. I thought it was something new. When I looked at the fine print it said there has been an upcharge since 2015. I do not know how we got so lucky, but all we ended up paying for last year was for DS who works on board.

The only reason I was going there this time is because my son asked about it. We were underwhelmed by the food. If DS really wants to go there in September, I might use some of my onboard credit. I ended up making ressies at the Bistro, and Cagneys ( which we really liked) and the Brazilian restaurant-we did not eat there last year.

This is only my 2nd NCL cruise. Posters have talked a lot about nickle and diming. I do not have the history that some of ya'll have. Still learning.

(We have great seafood restaurants in Alabama too!) .

Where are these great seafood restaurants in Alabama? I live in Huntsville and we don't even have a decent seafood restaurant, never mind a great one.