Is the "Hump" Worth It?

We are planning on possibly doing our first B2B on Oasis and have the option of booking a D4 or a D1 hump balcony. The deck and location is essentially the same, but the price difference is just over $200 per sailing so $400 total to have the D1 hump balcony for both legs vs. the standard balcony for both legs.

I've never seen a hump balcony before but I understand that they are a bit bigger. Are the views obstructed at all? Are there any downsides we should be aware of with them?

On this ship, the balcony size is a bit larger...not enough to make it worth that added cost, IMO...Now, on Radiance Class, some of the hump balconies are MUCH larger...so it would be worth it! On Voyager/Freedom class, there is no difference in the size of the "hump" at all...

There are no downsides to that location...it's really the convenience of location that makes them coveted.

We are planning on possibly doing our first B2B on Oasis and have the option of booking a D4 or a D1 hump balcony. The deck and location is essentially the same, but the price difference is just over $200 per sailing so $400 total to have the D1 hump balcony for both legs vs. the standard balcony for both legs.

I've never seen a hump balcony before but I understand that they are a bit bigger. Are the views obstructed at all? Are there any downsides we should be aware of with them?

Oasis class ships are unique in that all D1 staterooms are located on the forward hump which does indeed have larger balconies than the other standard D rooms. The staterooms themselves, however, are exactly the same throughout that category other than for the total passenger accommodations which vary from 2 - 4 passengers. None of the D1 balconies are obstructed. No downsides IMO - just your call as to the cost difference.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

No obstructions to the hump views, but $200 would not be worth it to me for a hump balcony.

We've been in that area only once. While others love this location, we found it to be excessively noisy. Because its mid-ship, everyone walks by as they exit the elevators, and it was pretty much non-stop. Of course we heard the loud groups walking by, but we could also hear smaller noises like the slap-slap of flip-flops.

I'll never reserve a room in that area again.

We've stayed in a hump cabin on 2 occasions, both being on Mariner (Voyager Class) & in the same cabin. The cabin (7324 If I am remembering correctly) was a bit larger due to the fact that it was at the start (aft) of the swing out. There was a v-shaped wedge addition to our cabin by the balcony door that was not evident on some of the other more forward hump cabins. While we really liked the hump cabins, we did have some blockage to our forward ship views. Not out to sea views, but along the hull of the ship forward. No biggie as we would book a hump cabin again in the future. Just our observations:p

On Oasis class all the D1 balconies are much bigger than the regular balconies (D1 balconies are 80 sq ft vs 50 sq ft for other D balconies). The cabin size is the same though.

They are located on the forward hump and not near any elevators or stairs.

There are no loungers - just table and chairs (maybe your room steward could arrange to get a lounger for you - don't know if they will do that.:confused:)

Here are a couple of pictures (one divider is removed):

IMG_1050_edited-1_zps2c419360.jpg

IMG_1051_edited-1_zps82599639.jpg

We had a hump JS 8242 on Oasis and we had two loungers, 2 chairs + coffee table. Maybe JS's have loungers and normal balcony cabins don't?

Balcony was deeper than others because of the hump, but the width was tha same as other JS cabins.

I got the hump because I was able to get it at the same price as other JS. Having been there, I probably would not want to pay more. We did spend quite a lot of time on the balcony, even had an afternoon nap on the lounger while in Falmouth. That was nice. But to pay more just for the balcony, maybe not.

I would have photos, but I seem to be unable to upload them here. Dont know what I'm doing wrong because I keep getting an error message. Oh well, sorry.

I guess it is whatever makes you happy.

Some say they book an inside because they do not spend a lot of time in their cabin.

Some say they only book a JS because of the spacious room.

Others only want a balcony.

If you never had it and want it go for it.....

Sea Ya

They are not always bigger but they get better view and are in best place for motion and moving around the ship

The bigger ones are at transition to hump as corridor moves out with cabin exterior.

Agree. We got another hump balcony on Allure next year.

We've been in that area only once. While others love this location, we found it to be excessively noisy. Because its mid-ship, everyone walks by as they exit the elevators, and it was pretty much non-stop. Of course we heard the loud groups walking by, but we could also hear smaller noises like the slap-slap of flip-flops.

I'll never reserve a room in that area again.

Disagree. In fact, our last hump was one of the quietest cabins we've ever had. It was also not all that close to the elevator lobby (depends on the ship and the cabin location).

Would not be worth $200 for me either for just a larger balcony

In our case, we got a D1 hump in a very good location at the same price as the D2. It depends when you book...it's not always more money. We booked very early and had good choices available on Allure.

In our case, we got a D1 hump in a very good location at the same price as the D2. It depends when you book...it's not always more money. We booked very early and had good choices available on Allure.

As this thread pertains to Oasis class ships, if it was on an Oasis class ship it was on the forward hump as that is the only area where all D1's are located on that ship class - and they all have a larger balcony than any other D staterooms in that ship class.

As to the elevator banks with Oasis class ships, the D1's on the forward hump are between the forward and aft elevator banks and not adjacent to either. The hump location on other ship classes is typically the aft elevator bank area and the hump staterooms there are directly adjacent to them. With the Radiance ship class the balconies associated with those rooms are also larger than standard.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As this thread pertains to Oasis class ships, if it was on an Oasis class ship it was on the forward hump as that is the only area where all D1's are located on that ship class - and they all have a larger balcony than any other D staterooms in that ship class.

As to the elevator banks with Oasis class ships, the D1's on the forward hump are between the forward and aft elevator banks and not adjacent to either. The hump location on other ship classes is typically the aft elevator bank area and the hump staterooms there are directly adjacent to them.

Yup - that's been our experience as well.

We got a "half hump" for our next cruise. I think it's a D6 or D7. Same price as all the other regular size balconies. Can't comment on the reality of it since I haven't seen it yet, but the deck plan shows it has a bit more space.

The worst thing about a hump balcony is that you become very spoiled!!! We love the hump, especially jr suite humps!!!

Quite true.

When we booked our 2015 cruise (at the lowest price to date) almost a year in advance, there were 10 hump balcony cabins on Deck 9 to choose from. A week later, there were 2 left. These D1 cabins were being offered at the time for the same price as D2 balcony cabins in other locations/decks.

The TA we use regularly told us that the "frequent cruisers gobble up hump cabins as fast as they can because they know they are some of the best on any ship, but especially the Oasis class ships".

On Oasis class all the D1 balconies are much bigger than the regular balconies (D1 balconies are 80 sq ft vs 50 sq ft for other D balconies). The cabin size is the same though.

They are located on the forward hump and not near any elevators or stairs.

There are no loungers - just table and chairs (maybe your room steward could arrange to get a lounger for you - don't know if they will do that.:confused:)

Here are a couple of pictures (one divider is removed):

IMG_1050_edited-1_zps2c419360.jpg

Thanks for that picture. We have a few of these hump D1s in a row and I was curious as to how the dividers could be opened - I was thinking it was just that door rather than the forward panel...

No obstructions to the hump views, but $200 would not be worth it to me for a hump balcony.

We've stayed in a hump cabin on 2 occasions, both being on Mariner (Voyager Class) & in the same cabin. The cabin (7324 If I am remembering correctly) was a bit larger due to the fact that it was at the start (aft) of the swing out. There was a v-shaped wedge addition to our cabin by the balcony door that was not evident on some of the other more forward hump cabins. While we really liked the hump cabins, we did have some blockage to our forward ship views. Not out to sea views, but along the hull of the ship forward. No biggie as we would book a hump cabin again in the future. Just our observations:p

Confused...???

Edited by time4u2go

Confused...???

There are several Hump cabins. Those in the middle of the hump, will have no obstruction to either direction. But if your cabin is in the back of the hump, like 7324 in Mariner, you would not see forward past those middle hump cabins.

Likewise, forward hump cabins will have obstructed view backwards.

Me thinks. ;)

There are several Hump cabins. Those in the middle of the hump, will have no obstruction to either direction. But if your cabin is in the back of the hump, like 7324 in Mariner, you would not see forward past those middle hump cabins.

Likewise, forward hump cabins will have obstructed view backwards.

Me thinks. ;)

Ah, makes sense. So there is some obstruction in the view from some of the hump cabins.

Thanks for that picture. We have a few of these hump D1s in a row and I was curious as to how the dividers could be opened - I was thinking it was just that door rather than the forward panel...

Yes, it's just the forward panel. We had three in a row on the hump. It didn't feel like one big balcony - the openings were small so the only benefit was easy access to the adjacent cabins which our kids loved since it was both sets of grandparents travelling with us.:)

Enjoy your cruise!