12 B2B passengers hold up Regal's debarkation

rexdillinger

We just got back from 2 weeks on the Regal Princess (11/29-12/13). We had a great cruise as always (our 34th or 35th) and really enjoyed the Regal. There was one incident that I would like to share so that those on b2b cruises may be a little more thoughtful and diligent when it comes to the turn around day.

There were somewhere between 550-700 passengers who were sailing Regal for the second week. Instructions were give a couple of days ahead of time so that everyone would know what they needed to do to make the process of debarkation/embarkation very easy and quick.

We had all been instructed that we could either get off the ship in FFL or meet in the Princess Theater at 10am to be checked by customs. The theater was filled with about 500 people at 10 am ready to get check and go on with their day of vacation. However, while Princess and the Customs officials were ready shortly after 10, their were 12 inconsiderate passengers who had still not shown up by 10:30; 30 minutes late.

Many passengers had arrived to the theater 15-20 minutes early so we had all been patiently waiting for 35-45 minutes while Princess tried to track down these 12 people. The last one arrived at 10:55 to a very angry and vocally hostile group. There were a lot boos and yelling as these late comers marched into the theater, down to the front, and then to stage right. One lady (and I am using this term loosely) turned and gave the crowd the finger which only made matters worse. The last passenger to arrive after having taken her seat, tried to sneak out the upper level back doors and had to literly be chased down by a ship's officer and led back to her seat, thus holding up the process even further.

Not only did this effect the 500 b2b passengers, but also the hundreds who were waiting to get on Regal to start their vacation. These passengers were forced to stand in line an extra hour because of those who were inconsiderate. There is no excuses for not being on time unless there is some sort of emergency...whether on a cruise ship or anything else. It is inconsiderate and disrespectful and should not be an option in our lives.

Additionally, the crowd that had been waiting also was out of control! It was becoming a mob mentality and if most people had not been too old, There could easily been a physical retaliation break out...people started to feed on one another's anger and emotions. I think we can all learn from this incident that we need to be considerate and respectful of others, no matter what the situation.

If you were in the theater during this time, I would love to hear your reaction to the whole incident.

Fully concur with your assessment. Why couldn't customs/immigration clear each passenger individually, rather than waiting for the entire group to be together in the Theater?

Since we could all get off the ship individually, what difference would it have made had they individually check these passenger as they entered the Theater?

They still would have known who did not clear or got off the ship.

Fully concur with your assessment. Why couldn't customs/immigration clear each passenger individually, rather than waiting for the entire group to be together in the Theater?

Since we could all get off the ship individually, what difference would it have made had they individually check these passenger as they entered the Theater?

Because the common way this is done is to hold these pax "in transit". The ship needs to get to "zero" before anyone- including the in transit pax can reboard. Some cruise lines do this in the terminal, where you need to stand. Or you could wait in the lounge/show room on the ship, seated comfortably. You make the call. (Note the in transit pax are not held in the seating area in the Terminal, as that is not "sterile"- they must be held in the Immigration/Customs area. No seating.)

We have had late comers a few times which caused delays.

The way I look at it is hey I am on a cruise!

Don't really understand the anger?

I didn't read the posting as the person being mad. I read it as being truthful. Yes, you're on a cruise but, sitting in the theater for over an hour when you could be doing something. Have had this happen on tours, too. You just lost an hour or more of your tour. People should have consideration for others.

Unfortunately, this happens all the time. Some people, for whatever reason, don't understand US laws and/or think it doesn't apply to them. After all, "they're not disembarking so why should they go through Immigration." I understand the anger because it's supposed to be a simple, quick process and inconsiderate people make it a tiresome wait. I don't understand the mob mentality, though as sometimes, it's an honest mistake.

Unfortunately, this happens all the time. Some people, for whatever reason, don't understand US laws and/or think it doesn't apply to them. After all, "they're not disembarking so why should they go through Immigration." I understand the anger because it's supposed to be a simple, quick process and inconsiderate people make it a tiresome wait. I don't understand the mob mentality, though as sometimes, it's an honest mistake.

Yes, sometimes it maybe an honest mistake. However, to throw the 'BIRD' is totally uncalled for!

Because the common way this is done is to hold these pax "in transit". The ship needs to get to "zero" before anyone- including the in transit pax can reboard. Some cruise lines do this in the terminal, where you need to stand. Or you could wait in the lounge/show room on the ship, seated comfortably. You make the call. (Note the in transit pax are not held in the seating area in the Terminal, as that is not "sterile"- they must be held in the Immigration/Customs area. No seating.)

Yes, this is the common way. However, if these passengers had left the ship and just walked off instead of going to the 'in transit' area, what would have been the difference? You would not have to wait on someone who could care less or made an honest error. So, your logic is not correct!

I didn't read the posting as the person being mad. I read it as being truthful. Yes, you're on a cruise but, sitting in the theater for over an hour when you could be doing something. Have had this happen on tours, too. You just lost an hour or more of your tour. People should have consideration for others.

Well I guess we all interpret things differently..........

Yes they should have been more considerate but as we read in countless examples here they are not.

They are everywhere. To us its not worth getting worked up over. Nothing that I can control or do to change the situation.

You are thinking too logical. Princess has nothing to do with these immigration rules and processes. ALL passengers must be cleared through immigration including those disembarking and those on b2b's before any passengers can re-board, including the b2b'ers. In the case mentioned passengers in the theater could not leave the theater until ALL passengers had cleared immigration, including the twelve mentioned.

All cruise lines have the same issue at U.S. ports. I do believe that the cruise industry as a whole could approach this problem with lawmakers and has a shot at getting it simplified.

OP - I feel your pain but at least you all had seats in the theater. :D We were on a B2B in 2014 with over 800 other passengers. They made us leave the ship and proceed to the immigration area of the terminal but no one could get back on because a couple hadn't disembarked. We waited almost an hour and the real problem was that there were chairs for only 1/2 of the B2B passengers (I think this was terminal 21 in Port Everglades and thankfully it did have seats!). The rest of us were in a long, snaking line covering most of the luggage area and, as you can imagine, standing that long for many of the passengers was very uncomfortable. When the last 2 passengers came down the escalator they didn't even look sheepish or apologetic.

Edited by capriccio

You are thinking too logical. Princess has nothing to do with these immigration rules and processes. ALL passengers must be cleared through immigration including those disembarking and those on b2b's before any passengers can re-board, including the b2b'ers. In the case mentioned passengers in the theater could not leave the theater until ALL passengers had cleared immigration, including the twelve mentioned.

All cruise lines have the same issue at U.S. ports. I do believe that the cruise industry as a whole could approach this problem with lawmakers and has a shot at getting it simplified.

I did not say that Princess had anything to do with that. I just said that those passengers could have left the ship without, repeat, without going in the holding area. It would still have not allowed anyone else to reboard the ship.

So, why couldn't the Customs/Ingratiation Officer just look at the Passports as each passenger entered the showroom and let them debark?

In fact, Princess collected the Custom form, the officer really did such a quick look at the Passports, it was a joke!

We just got back from 2 weeks on the Regal Princess (11/29-12/13). We had a great cruise as always (our 34th or 35th) and really enjoyed the Regal. There was one incident that I would like to share so that those on b2b cruises may be a little more thoughtful and diligent when it comes to the turn around day.

There were somewhere between 550-700 passengers who were sailing Regal for the second week. Instructions were give a couple of days ahead of time so that everyone would know what they needed to do to make the process of debarkation/embarkation very easy and quick.

We had all been instructed that we could either get off the ship in FFL or meet in the Princess Theater at 10am to be checked by customs. The theater was filled with about 500 people at 10 am ready to get check and go on with their day of vacation. However, while Princess and the Customs officials were ready shortly after 10, their were 12 inconsiderate passengers who had still not shown up by 10:30; 30 minutes late.

Many passengers had arrived to the theater 15-20 minutes early so we had all been patiently waiting for 35-45 minutes while Princess tried to track down these 12 people. The last one arrived at 10:55 to a very angry and vocally hostile group. There were a lot boos and yelling as these late comers marched into the theater, down to the front, and then to stage right. One lady (and I am using this term loosely) turned and gave the crowd the finger which only made matters worse. The last passenger to arrive after having taken her seat, tried to sneak out the upper level back doors and had to literly be chased down by a ship's officer and led back to her seat, thus holding up the process even further.

Not only did this effect the 500 b2b passengers, but also the hundreds who were waiting to get on Regal to start their vacation. These passengers were forced to stand in line an extra hour because of those who were inconsiderate. There is no excuses for not being on time unless there is some sort of emergency...whether on a cruise ship or anything else. It is inconsiderate and disrespectful and should not be an option in our lives.

Additionally, the crowd that had been waiting also was out of control! It was becoming a mob mentality and if most people had not been too old, There could easily been a physical retaliation break out...people started to feed on one another's anger and emotions. I think we can all learn from this incident that we need to be considerate and respectful of others, no matter what the situation.

If you were in the theater during this time, I would love to hear your reaction to the whole incident.

First let me say that my DW and I were two of the passengers who arrived "early" to the theater and therefore had to sit and wait for those late comers. The female who decided to arrive late and upon being booed gave the crowd the finger simply showed how she didn't care to follow instructions or have any consideration for others; there was also a male passenger who loudly complained to a ship's officer that he wasn't told to bring his passport and after being advised several times that the passport was needed, stormed out, returning with his passport and the instruction letter in an attempt to prove his point; it was quickly pointed out that the instructions clearly stated to bring passports. The passenger took his seat and never apologized to the ship's officer for his loud and disrespectful behavior. As for the lady who was the last to arrive in the theater, Elaine, did exactly as the OP stated which held up the procedure.

Now to address Oxo: Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your personal prospective, the Customs officers, by law, can not clear the ship until every passenger has been accounted for; for back to back passengers that means that every passenger arriving to Port Everglades has to be confirmed as having "left the ship" or "present for customs inspection". There is no allowance for releasing those present and then later chasing down the missing.

I can understand how someone could be late arriving by a few minutes but for someone to arrive 20, 30, 45 minutes late and then flip off the crowd or try to sneak out the back door, unforgivable.

The last one arrived at 10:55 to a very angry and vocally hostile group. There were a lot boos and yelling as these late comers marched into the theater, down to the front, and then to stage right. One lady (and I am using this term loosely) turned and gave the crowd the finger which only made matters worse.

If it had been me, and I had know that there were so many B2B passengers,

I would have gone out earlier on my own.

Walked to starbucks, or panera bread, and come back for the beginning

of boarding.

Regardless, this needs to be added to the 'people are so friendly on cruises'

thread!

I did not say that Princess had anything to do with that. I just said that those passengers could have left the ship without, repeat, without going in the holding area. It would still have not allowed anyone else to reboard the ship.

So, why couldn't the Customs/Ingratiation Officer just look at the Passports as each passenger entered the showroom and let them debark?

In fact, Princess collected the Custom form, the officer really did such a quick look at the Passports, it was a joke!

My understanding is that between voyages the passenger count must drop to ZERO. That's the ONLY way to ensure that EVERYONE is off the ship.

As a CONVENIENCE for B2B passengers, US Customs has agreed to work with Princess by allowing "in transit" passengers the easier transit through Princess Theater.

Passengers that COULD "transit" in that designated spot CAN instead disembark through the gangway and clear customs with other passengers. If they do so, they must then wait until boarding-- which is AFTER the ship is brought to a zero count. If they choose to disembark, they ARE accounted for and no one is waiting for them to show up in the theater.

Think of the theater and the B2B occupants as "disembarked" and hypothetically NOT on the ship because that's how US Customs looks at it. And once in the theater, and considered off the ship, the transit passengers there cannot embark/enter the ship/leave the theater UNTIL the count is first brought to zero.

Those last passengers were known by name: Princess knew exactly who they were as they were still part of the count. It was a matter of finding them and getting them off the ship.

CONSIDER THIS: if the US Customs officers get aggravated at CONSISTENTLY needing to wait for --in this case an hour while Princess tracks down the stragglers-- they MAY decide at some point that it's just not worth it, and they could decline to do the Princess Theater thing, instead making everyone get off. That's just logical speculation.

HERE'S AN IDEA: Let's say the meeting time is 10am. Then giving a 15 minute grace period, if a transit passenger arrives after, say 10:15am, then do NOT allow then to participate in the transit program. Instead REQUIRE them at that point to disembark, clear customs, and check-in again as a just arriving passenger. I'm sure Princess could write and spin it well. Say:

We've developed an expedited process for those pax continuing with us that requires attendance in the Princess theater at 10am sharp, at which time the doors close. Alternatively, you may disembark using the normal process, should you miss the expedited process.

Doesn't sound so bad, or like they are being punished for being late. But if they have to do the normal route once, they'll never be late again!.

Yes, this is the common way. However, if these passengers had left the ship and just walked off instead of going to the 'in transit' area, what would have been the difference? You would not have to wait on someone who could care less or made an honest error. So, your logic is not correct!

Ship board personnel would have known they had left the ship. That is one of the reasons you must scan your card whenleaving and arriving.

My understanding is that between voyages the passenger count must drop to ZERO. That's the ONLY way to ensure that EVERYONE is off the ship.

As a CONVENIENCE for B2B passengers, US Customs has agreed to work with Princess by allowing "in transit" passengers the easier transit through Princess Theater.

Passengers that COULD "transit" in that designated spot CAN instead disembark through the gangway and clear customs with other passengers. If they do so, they must then wait until boarding-- which is AFTER the ship is brought to a zero count. If they choose to disembark, they ARE accounted for and no one is waiting for them to show up in the theater.

Think of the theater and the B2B occupants as "disembarked" and hypothetically NOT on the ship because that's how US Customs looks at it. And once in the theater, and considered off the ship, the transit passengers there cannot embark/enter the ship/leave the theater UNTIL the count is first brought to zero.

Those last passengers were known by name: Princess knew exactly who they were as they were still part of the count. It was a matter of finding them and getting them off the ship.

CONSIDER THIS: if the US Customs officers get aggravated at CONSISTENTLY needing to wait for --in this case an hour while Princess tracks down the stragglers-- they MAY decide at some point that it's just not worth it, and they could decline to do the Princess Theater thing, instead making everyone get off. That's just logical speculation.

HERE'S AN IDEA: Let's say the meeting time is 10am. Then giving a 15 minute grace period, if a transit passenger arrives after, say 10:15am, then do NOT allow then to participate in the transit program. Instead REQUIRE them at that point to disembark, clear customs, and check-in again as a just arriving passenger. I'm sure Princess could write and spin it well. Say:

We've developed an expedited process for those pax continuing with us that requires attendance in the Princess theater at 10am sharp, at which time the doors close. Alternatively, you may disembark using the normal process, should you miss the expedited process.

Doesn't sound so bad, or like they are being punished for being late. But if they have to do the normal route once, they'll never be late again!.

Yes, I agree with you!

!

If they left the ship they would have cleared through immigration in the terminal, and it would be known as cruise cards and passports are scanned as you leave. Therefore, they would not be missing passengers. Princess gets reports of all passengers that cleared immigration so they can make their zero count.

As I mentioned before I do believe the process can be simplified for both the cruise lines and immigration, if the cruise industry approaches lawmakers.

Edited by sknight

Yes, sometimes it maybe an honest mistake. However, to throw the 'BIRD' is totally uncalled for!

The OP stated that loud and angry things were being said towards the passengers. We do not have things from their perspective; it is possible it was an innocent mistake by them or misdirection by a crew member. Certainly the ship would have asked their cabin stewards to check on their rooms long before this point (or called from front desk) so that's not where they were.

No one is a villain in their own minds, regardless of objective truth. You throw stuff at some people, they will throw it right back. Human nature, and I don't say it is wrong.

If they left the ship they would have cleared through immigration in the terminal, and it would be known as passports are scanned as you leave. Therefore, they would not be missing passengers. Princess gets reports of all passengers that cleared immigration so they can make their zero count.

As I mentioned before I do believe the process can be simplified for both the cruise lines and immigration, if the cruise industry approaches lawmakers.

I doubt it will happen. CBP wants at least a physical look at all passengers even transiting. Same as airplanes. And it is possible someone might evade their scrutiny and enter the US, if, say, they got on outside the US, sat on the ship in Fort Lauderdale, and if the ship then went to another US port, say Key West, they could be gone.

Edited by Wehwalt

The OP stated that loud and angry things were being said towards the passengers. We do not have things from their perspective; it is possible it was an innocent mistake by them or misdirection by a crew member. Certainly the ship would have asked their cabin stewards to check on their rooms long before this point (or called from front desk) so that's not where they were.

No one is a villain in their own minds, regardless of objective truth. You throw stuff at some people, they will throw it right back. Human nature, and I don't say it is wrong.

Wehwait; starting shortly after 10:00am, the ship constantly announced for those missing passengers to report to the theater. The ship's officer also announced in the theater that attempts were or had been made to check their rooms, without success.

Oxo: Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your personal prospective, the Customs officers, by law, can not clear the ship until every passenger has been accounted for; for back to back passengers that means that every passenger arriving to Port Everglades has to be confirmed as having "left the ship" or "present for customs inspection". There is no allowance for releasing those present and then later chasing down the missing.

I fully understand what the Customs Officer responsibility is and that the ship cannot be cleared until every passenger has been accounted for.

Your statement that B2B passengers have to leave the ship or be present for customs inspection is correct. However, your assumption is incorrect in the sense that if all those passenger who were waiting in the hold area just walked off the ship instead of going to the holding area and only the few who were late did not show up until a later time, those passenger who left the ship would not have to wait.

So, my point is why hold up those who are there when you can still account for those who are still on the ship and have not cleared? No one comes on board until the ship is cleared.

They use to hold up passengers trying to get off the ship if someone did not settle their ship account. Now, they let passengers off without everyone clearing/settling their account. They get those who failed to settle their accounts when they try to get off.

Wehwait; starting shortly after 10:00am, the ship constantly announced for those missing passengers to report to the theater. The ship's officer also announced in the theater that attempts were or had been made to check their rooms, without success.

It doesn't sound very good, but it's hard to judge without hearing both perspectives.