Illness on The Infinity

jkgourmet

We are a group of four off the Infinity on Dec 20 after a 16 day cruise. More later (and mostly it was a good cruise), but be aware that a large number of passengers and staff suffered from an upper respiratory infection. The coughing, sneezing, sniffling started 3 days into the cruise. The ship store sold out of Dayquil ($17.99 for a small bottle!!!!!!) and every other cold treatment within days. Never restocked.

By the end of the cruise, the hacking was an obvious problem throughout the ship.

In the last days of the cruise, reports surfaced of an outbreak of intestinal problems. Again, ship store sold out of meds. Last two days of the cruise, self service was mostly stopped in the buffet (but not universally), additiinal Purell machines were added, and some bathrooms had attendants to hand out towels and open doors.

Interesting... I always travel with a basic first aid kit that contains band-aids, gauze, tape, antibiotic ointment, and a number of other things that you would expect to find, but never expect you will use until you find yourself in need of them. Also travel with a small pharmacy for sea sickness, cold/flu remedies, pain relief, etc.

Must be my Boy Scout training to "be prepared". ;)

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Am not surprised, we're off Infinity Dec 4, with terrible coughing respiratory illness, husband and myself.

Barely made it home to Ca. And to our own M.D. On Dec 5, I had pneumonia, and husband severe bronchitis. Our Doctor immediately put us on heavy doses of antibiotics, etc. went to the med center on Infinity, their doctor prescribed all the wrong meds to the tune of &1,000. Our own doctor was stunned at the meds.

Anyway, it is now just past 2 weeks, neither of us have recovered, unfortunately it'll be a while. Infinity needs to disinfect the whole ship including the ventilation system.

Sorry to hear of so much illness...we always take a kit with many home remedies and hope for the best, but there's bad respiratory illness going around all over..and very hard to beat without antibiotic.

, DH and I had the resp illness in early fall, he had bronchitis... Finally got over it in a few weeks but then on Reflection there were many who were coughing so dh got it again,...,,after another round of meds he is better...hoping for the best for our Connie cruise in Jan.

wishing everyone healthy cruising!

Interesting... I always travel with a basic first aid kit that contains band-aids, gauze, tape, antibiotic ointment, and a number of other things that you would expect to find, but never expect you will use until you find yourself in need of them. Also travel with a small pharmacy for sea sickness, cold/flu remedies, pain relief, etc.

Always a good idea. We learned the hard way after having to spend some of our time in New Zealand searching for a pharmacy. It's also a good investment to bring the stuff from home....much cheaper and ready to use when needed.

Sure hope the Infinity is all cleaned up and well by the time we get on in January. Probably many ships are having this problem this time of year.

Am not surprised, we're off Infinity Dec 4, with terrible coughing respiratory illness, husband and myself.

Barely made it home to Ca. And to our own M.D. On Dec 5, I had pneumonia, and husband severe bronchitis. Our Doctor immediately put us on heavy doses of antibiotics, etc. went to the med center on Infinity, their doctor prescribed all the wrong meds to the tune of &1,000. Our own doctor was stunned at the meds.

Anyway, it is now just past 2 weeks, neither of us have recovered, unfortunately it'll be a while. Infinity needs to disinfect the whole ship including the ventilation system.

That's awful! We got sick like that last year on another ship in December. Ruined Christmas. Sure hope you feel better very soon....and yes, they need to get disinfected...especially before I get on in January!

There are people who lie when they are asked if they have been exposed to an illness prior to the cruise. They bring the illness with them and share it with the passengers/crew on the ship. Shame on them. As a precaution, I always bring my emergency meds. ...cold pills, cough med, etc. I have picked up colds on winter cruises. Last year on the Eclipse, the hacking was outrageous. Although I have never had the awful noro virus, I know people who have suffered with it. It is terrible. It can take months to recover. Last time I was on the Infinity, there was an outbreak of noro virus. Not a pleasant way to vacation. Too many people avoid washing hands and think that a drop of purell is okay. Not true. Wash hands often. After selecting food from the buffet or handling menus in the MDR, wash hands. I carry antiseptic wipes. I am OCD. I seldom get sick.

I think to say "people lie" is out of line.

People can be exposed to flu, bronchitis, colds etc. at work, out shopping or most anywhere, and it they are not sick they would not know they are exposed.

I agree with wash hands, wash hands, wash hands. That is a habit learned long ago, not something just for cruise ships.

I think to say "people lie" is out of line.

People can be exposed to flu, bronchitis, colds etc. at work, out shopping or most anywhere, and it they are not sick they would not know they are exposed.

I agree with wash hands, wash hands, wash hands. That is a habit learned long ago, not something just for cruise ships.

If you are stopped when you try to board because you said you had symptoms....who pays for what? Does celebrity refund your money, who pays airfares. I think there is plenty of incentive not to be truthful. It doesn't surprise me at all that people board who know they are sick...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are stopped when you try to board because you said you had symptoms....who pays for what? Does celebrity refund your money, who pays airfares. I think there is plenty of incentive not to be truthful. It doesn't surprise me at all that people board who know they are sick...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My experience is that ghstudio is correct. I strongly suspect that there are passengers who are less than truthful when completing the health questionnaire when boarding.

I hear a lot of people saying that passengers should not get on the ship if they are coughing, sneezing, etc. but I never hear anyone say that they voluntarily quarantined themselves in a local hotel AFTER the cruise when they left the ship coughing and sneezing.

What I do often hear is that they struggled home on their flight to see their own doctor. Well that means that they exposed everyone else on that plane and everyone near them in the airport to their cold/flu/bronchitis/whatever.

How is boarding a plane with a cold any different than boarding a ship with a cold?

The problem is the cancellation policy. If you have a little bug are you going to self-report and forfeit your cruise and everything you paid for it?

If people could get a full credit - not refund but credit - towards a future cruise for a late cancellation due to illness instead of a 100% penalty then you would see an immediate drop of 80% of onboard illnesses. IMO the onboard illness problem has less to do with hygiene and hand washing (though important) and almost everything to do with the cancellation policy.

The problem is the cancellation policy. If you have a little bug are you going to self-report and forfeit your cruise and everything you paid for it?

If people could get a full credit - not refund but credit - towards a future cruise for a late cancellation due to illness instead of a 100% penalty then you would see an immediate drop of 80% of onboard illnesses. IMO the onboard illness problem has less to do with hygiene and hand washing (though important) and almost everything to do with the cancellation policy.

I don't disagree that the cancellation policy contributes indirectly to illness onboard, but I don't think the future cruise credit would completely eliminate the problem. Most sickness arrives only a few days before travel starts and there are many other challenges to cancelling your cruise at the last minute: flights, vacation time, ground transportation, getting the right cabin, coveted itinerary.

Who is going to determine who is really sick, and who is cancelling just to cancel/get the credit to re-schedule because "something came up".

Don't hold your breath for this policy officially changing.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We were on the Infinity in September. By the end of our 14 days a good portion of the ship was sneezing and hacking. Everything OTC also sold out very rapidly. Hearing that it has happened again I would also think they should swab the whole ship. I ended up with bronchitis.

Judy

I also wonder if you are refused boarding due to self reported illness, will your travel insurance even cover it? If you have an ear infection and you get a doctor to say you shouldn't fly....would your insurance cover the cost of delaying the flight including hotel rooms/food? If you are put off the ship by the captain (who can do so for whatever reason...let's say for insulting an officer....would your travel insurance cover the trip home, missed cruise, ??

Always a good idea. We learned the hard way after having to spend some of our time in New Zealand searching for a pharmacy. It's also a good investment to bring the stuff from home....much cheaper and ready to use when needed.

Sure hope the Infinity is all cleaned up and well by the time we get on in January. Probably many ships are having this problem this time of year.

People flying fromall over the country on planes already rampant with flu. Celebrity really needs to post honestly the conditions before we board. Some of us have heart and other conditions and the flue or virus really would be bad for us. Please Celebrity post something about Infinity January sailings...dont wait for a major outbreak.