An entertaining Eclipse review - fun to read!

K12Guy

This newest review of the Eclipse is actually entertaining. I think it embodies a lot of the thought processes of some of our younger folks these days. We don't know if it was written by Kevin or Teresa, or combined their thoughts. But, it does show that sometimes it's worth the time and effort to research a cruise before paying a deposit. It might be that they were simply looking for Carnival and ended up on Celebrity. Heavens to Mercuroids, however. Can anyone imagine lots of "old people" on cruise ships?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=615740

This newest review of the Eclipse is actually entertaining. I think it embodies a lot of the thought processes of some of our younger folks these days. We don't know if it was written by Kevin or Teresa, or combined their thoughts. But, it does show that sometimes it's worth the time and effort to research a cruise before paying a deposit. It might be that they were simply looking for Carnival and ended up on Celebrity. Heavens to Mercuroids, however. Can anyone imagine lots of "old people" on cruise ships?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=615740

Pretty funny!

I think the people who took this cruise and reviewer of the cruise was just plain dumb. I suppose if you book a 14 day cruise on the Elicspe starting April 01 that there would be lots of kids and younger adults because all the kids all home schooled, that the now generation retires before they are 30 and old folks are too old to be away from our doctors and meds for more than 7 days !:D

Next time If I see these folks on a cruise I will try to trip them with my walker or run them over with my scooter :eek:

Sounds like my kind of cruise! (in fact I cruised Eclipse 2x earlier this year so maybe we sailed together). Too funny. But I wonder where they found all this Big Band music?? I think they had one night of it, but I only wish there were a lot more. On Elegant Chic night they did play some Frank Sinatra in the Martini Bar for about 45 minutes and then switched to that god awful techno garbage they usually play. The funniest part is, our experience on these two cruises is that there were not as many really "old folks" as we sometimes see on 14 nighters, and fewer walkers and wheelchairs than usual. I have been on a couple of cruises where the average age was probably 80-85 where these two would have probably jumped overboard (or been pushed there by someone's scooter;p).

As an under 30 myself I personally am looking forward to the "terrible" big band music and playing cards and board games daily with no kids on my upcoming cruise.

And, you may get to listen to music you can actually understand what is being sung. Not to mention the lack of sexual acts portrayed in some of the 'modern' garbage, pretending to be music.

I read the review and just laughed. I will guess Kevin and Teresa will be forever young. Or, they won't make it to being old. Good for you for wanting to experience something other than hip hop and brats. :o

I did that same cruise in Nov 2016 on the Eclipse and it was a fun cruise. The sky lounge/Quasor music wasn't bad. The music by the pool and Sunset Bar made me want to slit my wrists though. They did have on 40's, 50s night for about an hour in sky lounge one night, after that it got more modern (and fun). But yea, on a 14 day there are a lot of scooters and very few young folks.

l. I have been on a couple of cruises where the average age was probably 80-85 where these two would have probably jumped overboard (or been pushed there by someone's scooter;p).

Actually I was on a cruise where this person on a scooter injured 2 passengers and was kicked off the ship in Panama City, Panama.

My goodness, the reviewer is entitled to his opinion, even if it doesn't agree with the majority on the Celebrity boards ! The biggest takeaway here is that they didn't do their homework, or they would have known in advance that Celebrity IS more sedate than Carnival. I love Celebrity but admit that there isn't as much going on as you'll find on Carnival. That is actually an attraction for me, I love the elegant and subdued atmosphere with excellent service and a chance to really relax. Our cruises with Celebrity have varied with some being livelier than others, based on the passenger mix which is usually older on a longer cruise such as the reviewer took. But if someone is looking for a party ship, they won't find it here. No cruise line is perfect for everyone.

Hubby and I were on this very Eclipse cruise, April 1 to April 15. We are 74, but neither of us use a walker, cane or other assistance for walking.

I do agree with what Kevin and Teresa say about music on the ship. I wonder if they did see the production show "Rock City." That was really lively, but in a two week cruise would be hardly enough to suit those searching for a younger vibe. Another problem is that Celebrity in the last year or two has favored guitar/ singer duets or acoustic guitar solo acts for the Ensemble Lounge or various places around the ship. These do absolutely nothing for me. Their song choices seem like sleepwalking to me.

Celebrity does have to balance music tastes, however. Most of the passengers probably liked the dance tunes and set lists the house bands played. Just think how often people complain here about the loud,harsh music played at the Martini Bar.

I will say we sailed on many catamaran, sunset cruises and pirate ship excursions. Those boats did play very current, fun music. Their music selections were much more in line with what a younger passenger might enjoy.

It is unfortunate that ships such as Royal Caribbean Oasis Class ships don't do two-week Southern Caribbean cruises because they are just loaded with activities and entertainment that would be appealing to younger, more active and energetic cruisers.

Just think how often people complain here about the loud,harsh music played at the Martini Bar.

It is unfortunate that ships such as Royal Caribbean Oasis Class ships don't do two-week Southern Caribbean cruises because they are just loaded with activities and entertainment that would be appealing to younger, more active and energetic cruisers.

I didn't like the loud music at the martini bar so I kept drinking until I had the courage to dance, then I didn't care. :cool:

I think the cruise lines don't find the younger demographic ready to pay for fourteen day cruises in most cases. Unless, of course, they are paid for by 'old people' (parents, aunts, etc). It's also difficult for young working folks to get two or more weeks off at a time, so I think the party ships cater to shorter cruises. Just my thoughts on this one, however.

Thanks for pointing this out, good read. I can understand where they are coming from but I go into it knowing what I am getting.

My favorite line was: "This is a cruise line for old people that want quiet and no kids!!!" Not that I consider myself old but yea, I like quiet at times and no kids at times.

Some people just do not understand that you are somewhat responsible for your own happiness. It was their decision...so very simple and just cause and effect...higher level thinking skills! Why spend your money without researching? Although, they may have learned a lesson that will help them later on...do not cruise Celebrity until they are over 60 and take your scooter so you can scoot to the Big Band Music!

...do not cruise Celebrity until they are over 60 and take your scooter so you can scoot to the Big Band Music!

When they are 60, they will be "scooting" to Pitbull and Beyonce

I found the comment about water kind of odd. We cruised on Equinox a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I tend to drink water not soda. The first day I asked our steward if there was a way to get water without having to walk over to a bar every time we needed a new bottle. Every day after that there was a pitcher of water in our room that kept getting magically refilled several times a day. Great service!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep, did not do their homework. We are only in our mid-fifties, but prefer the older music, no kids kind of cruise. A couple of cruises come to mind...

We did a Carnival cruise (our only one) - 4 night to Catalina and Ensenada on an OLD ship (Paradise). We did our homework and knew this would be a boisterous crowd. But, were celebrating our daughter's 18th birthday and wanted to do something fun for her. She enjoyed it, and the experience was roughly equal to what we paid for it. And happy to not do that one again!

In 2010 my wife and I did a Holland America cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Kept reading that this would be an "old" crowd. But, this was EXACTLY what we wanted. We loved meeting and talking to fellow passengers. Had a lot of fun!

Our first Celebrity cruise (Pacific Coastal) in October 2017 was a lot of fun, and a nice balance of older and younger people, and light on kids due to school being in session. It was also perfect.

Looking forward to our Silhouette 9 day cruise in November, and assume it will be a bit older crowd with no kids.:D

Our bottom line, each cruise met our expectations based on the research we did. And...with a glass half full mentality, life is always better on a cruise ship!

Exactly my thoughts- they choose the wrong ship- the wrong cruise line and to long a cruise! With all that information, esp. here on Cruise Critic- that is available they should have know better- funny to read anyway!

If you want Party- take a Party Boat- there enough of them around. LOL!

Or, they won't make it to being old.

Are you implying they will be targeted by the old mob in scooters and sentenced to death by a brass band music [emoji443] [emoji445]???

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro