Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Happy Birthday, All Canadians!

Loved Jeffy's stories on the winery expedition and the "taverna"....too funny!

Very hot in these parts....Today is supposed to be the worst with close to 100 and some humidity.

Will watch the World Cup later this am and keep cool in the AC.....

Now it's our turn....:)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/royal-canadian-air-force-england-queen-1.4728838

"For years, military forces throughout the Commonwealth have been invited on occasion to serve public duties in the U.K. for the Queen. The Royal Canadian Air Force is having its turn until July 15, guarding the royal residences for the first time in its 94-year history.

The RCAF's invitation is meant to highlight Canada Day in London, as well as the military division's shared history with Britain's Royal Air Force, which is celebrating its centenary this year.

Some 120 RCAF members have travelled to London to take part in the public duties. They've come from each of the air force's 14 wings, from British Columbia to Newfoundland.

All members either volunteered or were specially chosen to make the trip."

Nice cold dish for this hot weather, Jeff.

The pork cubes are now cooking confit style in a slow oven (about 275F). Once done I'll skewer them and char them on the grill before serving with a roasted tomato and pineapple salsa.

Already pretty beastly hot out but we'll try to get out for a walk around the block before it gets much hotter. There is still a little shade to be had so we'll take advantage.

Stay cool and well hydrated, Coolers!

Happy Canada Day, from the west coast of Canada, and thank you for all the well-wishes from elsewhere.

Our weather here is overcast, with 20% chance of rain, and highs in the low 20's C. I'm not a hot weather person, so I am perfectly happy not to be having the heatwave being experienced elsewhere.

If its not raining too hard we will probably head down into our local village for the annual Canada Day parade. It's an old fashioned affair, with the local fire trucks all washed up and bringing up the rear, sirens blaring. When we first moved here, the parade was so short that they turned around and came back, and it still only took 10 minutes. But we are getting a fly-past by a Sea King this year!

DW: you asked (a couple of pages ago) if anyone here is a Terry Pratchett fan. I am, via my daughter, who can quote chapter & verse. But I've read my share. My daughter refers to me as 'Granny Weatherwax', and to be honest, I do fit the description! You may call me Esme. ;)

Hi friends, well, I went shopping yesterday:D…….got some new things for my cruise. I leave on Saturday morning:D

Question for all of you (or anyone who wants to reply) I am looking at a cruise to Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

I have never visited these countries and Viking Ocean has an itinerary that looks very appealing to me. I would love some input from ya'll…….the ship is larger than SS ships but I have a friend who sailed with them and she and her husband loved it:)...she said it was one of the best cruises they have ever taken.

This would be for April 2019.

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a good weekend.:)

The heat is off for today, we never used to hit 90 in the Colorado mountains, but we did several times last week. Last Sun we had golf ball size hail at our house. It has been so dry that we have fires all around, one in our county too, luckily not near our house--for now. We've had to close all the windows for the smoke, gets hot with no a/c.

Sorry for the doom and gloom.

Doom and gloom are the order of the day for your situation silkismom. Hope the situation improves soon! Must be a little frightening to be close to an inferno!

For those dealing with the heat.....

36462903_1760878603959163_3195240073750642688_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeH11WCDTZUzz9ih7RzxNqTe1TUsOPF57CiFHTaNDuJ21Z0xFvzN8mFGk2oMOKMwMMFiip-uLCALRMe21SkKpLwmNA8b5B__6zKxf9VEw6Rmow&oh=a5947b739d72289eaa1324e6c1dabee5&oe=5BDB00E9

Hi friends, well, I went shopping yesterday:D…….got some new things for my cruise. I leave on Saturday morning:D

Question for all of you (or anyone who wants to reply) I am looking at a cruise to Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

I have never visited these countries and Viking Ocean has an itinerary that looks very appealing to me. I would love some input from ya'll…….the ship is larger than SS ships but I have a friend who sailed with them and she and her husband loved it:)...she said it was one of the best cruises they have ever taken.

This would be for April 2019.

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a good weekend.:)

Lois, we haven’t cruised Viking but the weather in April in Scandinavia would still be pretty cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, cool would be ok with me:D, long sleeves? Jeans? During the day? I went on a river cruise in April back in 2016 from Amsterdam and it was cool there too.

Norway, Denmark and Sweden are truely "God's country"! Beautiful beyond belief, lovely,kind people and clean as a whistle.

I cannot personally speak to Ocean Cruise line, however, to be honest, I haven't heard a whole of good about them. Apparently they do shore excursion choice by cabin catagory. First is the best (suites/pricey) and last gets the left overs(steerage). I'm quite sure that any drinks that are not associated with a meal cost extra (OMG! What? no cocktail before dinner?!) What about a margarita by the pool...or a beer....or whatever? Apparently extra and pricey. I'm only reporting what I've heard. All of the above may not be correct, but check it out before you leap!

Norway, Denmark and Sweden are truely "God's country"! Beautiful beyond belief, lovely,kind people and clean as a whistle.

Great questions by Lois about her potential, upcoming cruise. Agree 100% above with our New York "neighbor" about Norway, Denmark and Sweden being all very wonderful and extremely special. Super love Copenhagen!! What an excellent, charming, historic city with such superb character.

For Viking's Ocean Cruises, I have heard good comments on them, if their ports, itinerary, plus pricing, would fit our personal interests. In general, it is not Silversea, but Viking offers many pluses to consider, if and if!!??

However, that April timing would concern me. Here below are a few weather averages/details for these two key cities in the Baltics by looking at the 7th, 15th, 23rd days of each major month from www.wunderground.com. Do not have April details listed as that timing period is so limited/challenging. Maybe their April pricing is low because of these weather questions and the "roll of the dice" gamble if picking this timing? See more:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May, early: 61 high/47 low °F

May, mid: 63/48 °F

May, late: 65/50 °F

June, early: 67/53 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 69/54 °F

July, early: 69/55 °F

July, mid: 69/54 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/53 °F

August, mid: 66/52 °F

August, late: 64/51 °F

Sept., early: 60/49 °F

Sept., mid: 58/47 °F

Sept., late: 56/45 °F

Stockholm:

May, early: 60 high/44 low °F

May, mid: 62/46 °F

May, late: 63/49 °F

June, early: 66/52 °F

June, late: 70/55 °F

July, early: 71/56 °F

July, mid: 70/55 °F

August, early: 67/52 °F

August, mid: 65/50 °F

August, late: 63/48 °F

Sept., early: 58/44 °F

Sept., mid: 54/42 °F

Sept., late: 51/40 °F

For “Copenhagen: Love, Pix's, etc.”, check:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356372

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 227,646 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I cannot personally speak to Ocean Cruise line, however, to be honest, I haven't heard a whole of good about them. Apparently they do shore excursion choice by cabin catagory. First is the best (suites/pricey) and last gets the left overs(steerage). I'm quite sure that any drinks that are not associated with a meal cost extra (OMG! What? no cocktail before dinner?!) What about a margarita by the pool...or a beer....or whatever? Apparently extra and pricey. I'm only reporting what I've heard. All of the above may not be correct, but check it out before you leap!

Thanks for the reply. I know about paying for drinks.....I am not a big drinker and to be honest, all the years I sailed "mainstream" I always paid extra. So that is not a factor for me. As for excursions, that sounds very stupid...…..(not you) but because you are in a suite you get priority for a tour? Same price as a "regular cabin"?

Just first choice? That makes no sense if we are paying the same price:eek:…….. I will ask about it over on the Viking Ocean forum.

Great questions by Lois about her potential, upcoming cruise. Agree 100% above with our New York "neighbor" about Norway, Denmark and Sweden being all very wonderful and extremely special. Super love Copenhagen!! What an excellent, charming, historic city with such superb character.

For Viking's Ocean Cruises, I have heard good comments on them, if their ports, itinerary, plus pricing, would fit our personal interests. In general, it is not Silversea, but Viking offers many pluses to consider, if and if!!??

However, that April timing would concern me. Here below are a few weather averages/details for these two key cities in the Baltics by looking at the 7th, 15th, 23rd days of each major month from www.wunderground.com. Do not have April details listed as that timing period is so limited/challenging. Maybe their April pricing is low because of these weather questions and the "roll of the dice" gamble if picking this timing? See more:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May, early: 61 high/47 low °F

May, mid: 63/48 °F

May, late: 65/50 °F

June, early: 67/53 °F

June, late: 69/54 °F

July, early: 69/55 °F

July, mid: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/53 °F

August, mid: 66/52 °F

August, late: 64/51 °F

Sept., early: 60/49 °F

Sept., mid: 58/47 °F

Sept., late: 56/45 °F

Stockholm:

May, early: 60 high/44 low °F

May, mid: 62/46 °F

May, late: 63/49 °F

June, early: 66/52 °F

June, late: 70/55 °F

July, early: 71/56 °F

July, mid: 70/55 °F

August, early: 67/52 °F

August, mid: 65/50 °F

August, late: 63/48 °F

Sept., early: 58/44 °F

Sept., mid: 54/42 °F

Sept., late: 51/40 °F

For “Copenhagen: Love, Pix's, etc.”, check:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356372

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 227,646 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923[/url]

Hi Terry, thanks for the input, as always:)

I believe Viking Cruises is an adults only line with "select" shore excursions included in their fares.

I imagine when excursions are included, the line needs to do something to limit the excursion bookings; hence, if your're in the Owner's Suite you get 'first kick at the cat' :D... if you're in 'Steerage' - :mad:.

Greetings Coolers! Spent the morning thus far chasing dust bunnies. The little devils seem to be procreating with abandon.

That dish-to-be looks delicious already J!

Today a picture to help Coolers cool off.....Sunrise over Niagara Falls.

Photo by Mickey Shannon

36592267_1762329307147426_30096974736785408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeFSL6nxCqReZfyRVa_lRgwRIXcPSX0ckhbB6W-sNJQsdgLnSl8IykNDtbX_kLl033EArPiHCsDF6sJihN2M16m14S4VkpB4aBqjjgsEExHcQA&oh=b93890d4f005bc1972651f96b790101a&oe=5BDC2CFA

Have a great day all!

It isn’t even “walking” weather here M! Very hot. My gauge says that it is over 40 but can it really be?!

Today I made wifey a crab and smoked trout salad with prosciutto Langhirano on apple sourdough.

5c44c8c2fa077f5efd49874686d200d2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WOW J....over 40? That is some hot! Much too hot for walking. It's 8:50 am here and the temp is 27 C with 79% humidity so it feels like 38 C.

And lunch looks yummy! Is that a potato salad? I love potato salad and I can't remember the last time I had some.

Thanks for the reply. I know about paying for drinks.....I am not a big drinker and to be honest, all the years I sailed "mainstream" I always paid extra. So that is not a factor for me. As for excursions, that sounds very stupid...…..(not you) but because you are in a suite you get priority for a tour? Same price as a "regular cabin"?

Just first choice? That makes no sense if we are paying the same price:eek:…….. I will ask about it over on the Viking Ocean forum.

Yes, do bring your questions tp the Viking forum. You will get lots of information and answers to your questions.

There are many who have also sailed on SS and Celebrity in the past.

The service and attention to detail on board is outstanding. It reminded me of the glory days on the Century , Galaxy.

BTW, the sliver beverage package on Viking is $20.00 per day.

There is no steerage cabins ( no inside or oceanview) on Viking, all have verandas.

Excursion included in every port, usually they run multiple times during port day.

Also have optional excursions for a fee. Those are quite reasonable IMO.