Would you do this upgrade?

MikeBTN

4 of us - myself, DW, and two sons (3 & 6). Currently in a JS on Oasis. Sailing in 18 days. GS guarantee is available for $2,500 additional (paid approx 5k for our JS, after port fees & taxes). We would cancel our Voom (~$200 savings) and one drink package (~400 savings), so "net" cost of about $2k. Only suites available are 2 CL and a 12th deck 1 BR AS (Sky class).

I'd be slightly disappointed if we got a GS, since the room and balcony aren't THAT much larger, but we would still get full suite perks. The Mrs and I enjoy spending time in the SL.

I would be ecstatic if we got the CL or AS, and figure this close to sailing there's a 50/50 shot they just stick us there instead of upgrading someone else and placing us in the vacated GS. They already went through a bunch of upgrading/upselling according to friends of ours also on this sailing.

Or we can stay put - we're happy with our JS.

What would you do?

Grand suites do not get the drinks packages...that is Star class only, although you would get beer and wine in the suite lounge.

I wouldn't do that upgrade. That's half of another cruise in a JS.

Yes, I know. She doesn't really drink that much and I don't mind hoofing it up to 17 for a free beer (or cocktail during happy hour). Especially since we'll be on the pool deck or in the SL much of our time on board. So it eliminates the need for me having the drink package.

Just for clarification, this is just a retail-price upgrade, not a call from the Upsell fairy. For $1,000 I would probably do it. $2,000 seems a bit steep if we get a GS (again, this is a GS guarantee, none available and only 18 days until we sail).

If we get one of the two available CL (L1) or the one available AS, I can justify the extra expense in my head because of the much larger stateroom, 2 bathrooms, and additional privacy for the Mrs and I.

I guess I'm trying to decide if the risk ($2,000 out of pocket with the potential of being assigned a GS, which is a very likely scenario that I would be slightly disappointed with) is worth the potential reward (possibility of a CL or AS, which would be worth it in my book). I think I'm leaning towards "no".

Edited by MikeBTN

4 of us - myself, DW, and two sons (3 & 6). Currently in a JS on Oasis. Sailing in 18 days. GS guarantee is available for $2,500 additional (paid approx 5k for our JS, after port fees & taxes). We would cancel our Voom (~$200 savings) and one drink package (~400 savings), so "net" cost of about $2k. Only suites available are 2 CL and a 12th deck 1 BR AS (Sky class).

I'd be slightly disappointed if we got a GS, since the room and balcony aren't THAT much larger, but we would still get full suite perks. The Mrs and I enjoy spending time in the SL.

I would be ecstatic if we got the CL or AS, and figure this close to sailing there's a 50/50 shot they just stick us there instead of upgrading someone else and placing us in the vacated GS. They already went through a bunch of upgrading/upselling according to friends of ours also on this sailing.

Or we can stay put - we're happy with our JS.

What would you do?

Hell NO!!!

Just for clarification, this is just a retail-price upgrade, not a call from the Upsell fairy. For $1,000 I would probably do it. $2,000 seems a bit steep if we get a GS (again, this is a GS guarantee, none available and only 18 days until we sail).

If we get one of the two available CL (L1) or the one available AS, I can justify the extra expense in my head because of the much larger stateroom, 2 bathrooms, and additional privacy for the Mrs and I.

I guess I'm trying to decide if the risk ($2,000 out of pocket with the potential of being assigned a GS, which is a very likely scenario that I would be slightly disappointed with) is worth the potential reward (possibility of a CL or AS, which would be worth it in my book). I think I'm leaning towards "no".

I am willing to bet you $1K right now that if you book the GS Guarantee you will get a GS and not CL or AS.

With no GSs left they will just call up current GS occupants and offer them an upgrade for a price.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

Not sure how negotiable an upgrade is but, if it was me, I would offer something I was more comfortable with, like, maybe $1k:rolleyes: but certainly not $2500 more!!:eek: Happy cruising to you whatever you choose!!;)

This sounds like the best scenario. Contact Royal and see what they would be willing to do. Nothing to lose.

The risk is they will bump someone currently in a GS into the CL & AS and give you a GS.

Edit: oops, Garavar already said the same thing. :)

Edited by PCWalton1

Ditto, not worth it. Take the 2.5K and spend it on something nice, or another cruise

Signed - Suite Snob

Mike, Garavar is right.

Just because you don't see any GS left, this doesn't mean that you will definitely get one of those suites that you DO see.

Keep your $2500 and take another cruise!

:)

There is no longer a guarantee rate available for that cruise, so non-issue.

Even with that being an 8 night cruise, not a 7 night cruise, still way too much money if the rate was still there.

Available for 3 or 4 pax, it doesn't show up for 2 pax.

2k more isnt a upgrade , I once did a Captains Suite just to do it and you know what ? I wasnt ever in my suite to enjoyit, you are always on the go and eating,shows,etc.

Save the $$$ book ANOTHER cruise or just save it , upgrades shouldnt cost you.

Thanks all. You've confirmed my thinking. We'll enjoy our JS!

Good choice! I wouldn't have made that gamble for $2500.

For future, I suggest looking into whether you can get 2 regular balcony rooms that are connected. We do that so that we have 2 bathrooms, extra space and additional privacy. Most of the time it's actually cheaper or just slightly more to go that route than putting 4 of us in 1 balcony.